Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Challenges Archive > Wait for Wobble ~ RECOMMENDATIONS Weekend! Day Two

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30835 comments Mod
Waiting for Wobble

Waiting for Wobble ~ Recommendations Weekend

We can NEVER have too many books on our TBR, right? RIGHT?!?

Like the recent Waiting for Wobble Read-a-Thon, this quick weekend of Recommendations is THEMED. So follow what prompt is given!!

YES there are specific requirements to recommendations, not just any.
Random ones will be deleted.

Today MAY help you out with Bingo

In the first week of Bingo, you'll have to find books with certain things on the COVER of the book. Since the theme of our Teams is ANIMALS, let's go ahead and play around with that.

These may, or may NOT, help in BingoI Not giving you that much info!! :)

Today, recommend at least 8 books with Animal(s) on the cover. To fit in with our teams, recommend at least ONE "Air" animal, ONE "Land" animal, ONE "Mythological" animal and ONE "Sea" animal.

Recommendations FAQ -
Through this weekend, we're going to recommend books in the hopes of putting a ton more books on our TBR! With recommendations ~
╰⊰✿ Try to recommend something not extremely popular (no Harry Potter!) We want to get new books and with extremely big series/books, people already know about them. Give us something new to want!
╰⊰✿ REMEMBER: Our group is an ALL AGES group. Please no recommendations of a mature nature. Gore and violence is ok (it's in Hunger Games after all) but nothing too over the top and no erotica please.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Kay Kay (last edited Jun 05, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis , White Fang by Jack London , The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins (of course), To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee , Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini , The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien , The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway , and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
I read all of these and liked them.

message 5: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 05, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Suzanne | 3718 comments I'm definitely saving these threads :)

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1) by W. Bruce Cameron The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier Watership Down by Richard Adams His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1) by Peter S. Beagle Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) by Terry Pratchett The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman

message 6: by BarbaraAnn (new)

BarbaraAnn This is great! Cover searches are the hardest for me. here's a few I found

Distant Echoes (Aloha Reef #1) by Colleen Coble - this is the first book in a series - several other books in the series have animals on the cover as well

Summer Beach Vets Collection Boxset by H.Y. Hanna - each individual book in the series has an animal on the cover - they're all kind of short so all may not meet challenge requirements. The same author has a cozy mystery series where each book has a cat on the cover

The Dragon Business by Kevin J. Anderson ]

Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) by Robert Asprin

Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1) by Patricia Briggs

The Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs

Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1) by Jill Shalvis - most of the books in this series have an animal on the cover

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Here are my recs! I haven't read all of them, but I own most of them and and am interested in reading all of them! :-)

Air: Night's End (Indigo Court, #5) by Yasmine Galenorn (an owl); Bound by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampire, #1) by Larissa Ione (bats)

Land: Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie (a dog); Wild Rain (Leopard People, #2) by Christine Feehan (a leopard)

Mythological: Dragonbane (Dark-Hunter #25; Lords of Avalon, #4; Were-Hunter, #9, Hellchaser, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (a dragon that looks like a phoenix); Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3) by Brandon Mull (a centaur)

Sea: Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson (a mermaid and assorted fish); Winner Takes All Rules of the Game/The Name of the Game by Nora Roberts (starfish)

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 05, 2016 04:08PM) (new)

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments I don't have many animal covers that I would recommend! Here are the couple I loved;

Air
YA/Thriller
My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier

Land
NF/Animals
Zoo Story Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (cowmingo) | 4744 comments Air:
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson (Bats)
Butterfly Dreams by A. Meredith Walters (butterfly)
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

Land:
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness (cat)
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins (cat on all 3 in the series)
Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson (raccoon)
Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1) by Robert Crais (dog)
Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Mythological:

Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) by Terry Pratchett (dragons)
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis

Sea:

Whale Song by Cheryl Kaye Tardif
Sea Swept by Nora Roberts

message 12: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 352 comments Pigletto wrote: "How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal Mort (Discworld, #4) by Terry Pratchett Dark Entries by Robert Aickman The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani Fluke by James Herbert [bookcover:Counti..."

I want to tell you that you are evil for writing down that many new books and simultaneously thank you for doing the exact same thing!

message 13: by Melissa (last edited Jun 05, 2016 06:34PM) (new)

Melissa | 2707 comments Great idea!!

Here are some recommendations from books I have read and enjoyed:

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini Dragon
The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister Dove
Oceans of Fire (Drake Sisters, #3) by Christine Feehan Dolphin (This is book 3 of a series but the entire series was very good! )
Uprooted by Naomi Novik Three headed dragon and falcon
Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah Butterfly
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis Lion

message 14: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 598 comments Air animal Firebird (Fairy Tales #1) by Mercedes Lackey Pure (Pure, #1) by Julianna Baggott
Land animal Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West (Heavenly Horse, #1) by Mary Stanton Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre Foundation (Valdemar Collegium Chronicles, #1) by Mercedes Lackey Plain Kate by Erin Bow
Mythological animal The Outstretched Shadow (Obsidian Mountain, #1) by Mercedes Lackey Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1) by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
Sea animal Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) by David Brin

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilythebooknerd) | 1388 comments I second these recommendations:
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) by Terry Pratchett The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater The Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness Uprooted by Naomi Novik Omens (Cainsville, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

And add these books and series which I gave 4 or 5 stars:
Air: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Magonia (Magonia, #1) by Maria Dahvana Headley
Land: Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2) by Robin McKinley A Story Like the Wind by Laurens van der Post
Mythological: A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey
Sea: Island of the Blue Dolphins (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #1) by Scott O'Dell
?: Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 974 comments Air: Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1) by Kate Brian
Land: Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1) by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Mythological: Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman To Ride Hell’s Chasm by Janny Wurts The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1) by Kate Forsyth The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1) by Brian Staveley The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) by Andre Norton
Sea: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide, #4) by Douglas Adams

message 17: by Linda C (last edited Jun 05, 2016 08:22PM) (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 744 comments land - A Good Horse (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #2) by Jane Smiley & War Horse (War Horse, #1) by Michael Morpurgo (horse) - Zoology by Ben Dolnick (goat) - North Country Man by Carrie Alexander (bear cub) - The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (elephant) - The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (tiger) - In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (kangaroo) - The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton (camel) - The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart (tortoise, monkey, giraffe)

air - Missing in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law #5) by Jana Deleon (dragonfly, also has frog) - French Fried (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #9) by Nancy Fairbanks (rooster and goose) - Annie's Song by Catherine Anderson (butterfly) - The Tale of Hill Top Farm (Beatrix Potter Mystery Book 1) by Susan Wittig Albert (owl) - Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1) by Robin Paige (black swan)

sea - Resurrection in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law #4) by Jana Deleon (frog as do all books in this series) - A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #3) by Claudia Bishop (fish) - Grayson by Lynne Cox (whale)

mythological - Dragonflight (Pern Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey (dragon) - Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman (frost giant, also bear, eagle & fox) - Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2) by Diana Wynne Jones (griffin) - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #2) by C.S. Lewis (faun)

message 18: by Lauri (last edited Jun 06, 2016 01:25AM) (new)

message 19: by Gea (last edited Jun 06, 2016 10:30AM) (new)

message 20: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 2581 comments Air
This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost Still Alice by Lisa Genova A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg

Land
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt Anything for You (Blue Heron, #5) by Kristan Higgins Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11) by Robyn Carr A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman Thinking in Pictures My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin

Mythological
The Beast (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #14) by J.R. Ward Blood Magick (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, #3) by Nora Roberts Archangel's Legion (Guild Hunter, #6) by Nalini Singh

Sea
Nothing on my shelf for the Sea...

message 21: by Crystal (last edited Jun 06, 2016 11:51PM) (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments Air:
- Shadow Spell by Nora Roberts
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Shadow Spell (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, #2) by Nora Roberts The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Land:
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

Mythological:
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini
- His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

Sea:
- Aquarium by David Vann - This book is not for the faint of heart though. It is so graphic that it made me physically queasy. It is from the perspective of a 12 year old girl so there isn't a lot of inappropriate content. I'm on the fence on whether or not I would actually recommend this novel or not. It was short and kept a good pace and the story was fine but the descriptions and situations were a bit hard for me to handle. I do think there are many people that they wouldn't bother though.

Aquarium by David Vann (the cover is covered in clams)

message 22: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jun 07, 2016 01:46AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4833 comments have had an incredibly busy weekend so am late but i wanted to try this
Air animal - The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (nightingale)

Land animal - Five Little Pigs (Hercule Poirot Series, #24) by Agatha Christie (pigs)

Mythological Temeraire (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik (dragon) - this is an excellent series
Fleeced by Julia Wills (aries the ghost ram)

Sea

I am hoping this counts The Penguin Lessons by Tom Michell

Notes From A Big Country by Bill Bryson ]this is quite a busy cover so may fulfil other things

Elephant Moon by John Sweeney

Rhinoceros Summer by Jamie Thornton

message 23: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4833 comments The discworld series often have lots of things on the cover - i did a challenge once where you got points for every item on the cover one girl in our team raked the points in with Pratchett books

message 24: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4080 comments Here are some covers with animals that have been published over the last few months. I haven't read them, but they are all new and meet the requirement!:

Land:
The Black Cat Knocks on Wood (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #2) by Kay Finch Chicken Soup for the Soul My Very Good, Very Bad Cat 101 Heartwarming Stories about Our Happy, Heroic & Hilarious Pets by Amy Newmark - cats
Fast into the Night A Woman, Her Dogs, and Their Journey North on the Iditarod Trail by Debbie Clarke Moderow - dogs

Sea:
What a Fish Knows The Inner Lives of Our Underwater Cousins by Jonathan Balcombe - puffer fish
Surviving the Essex The Afterlife of America's Most Storied Shipwreck by David O Dowling - whale

I don't have any "new" books for Air or Myth, but I found some books:

Air: Hyde (Hyde, #1) by Lauren Stewart - butterfly
Bird Brain A Polly Parrett Pet-Sitter Cozy Murder Mystery (Polly Parrett Pet Sitter Cozy Murder Mysteries) by Liz Dodwell - a parrot

Myth: The Dog That Laid Eggs by Jonathan Maas - dog with wings
Blast of the Dragon's Fury (Andy Smithson, #1) by L.R.W. Lee - a dragon

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1004 comments It's a little late, but I want to play too =)
Here are my recomendations:
1. Air animal: The Story of a Seagull and the Cat Who Taught Her to Fly by Luis Sepúlveda The Story of a Seagull and the Cat Who Taught Her to Fly
2.- Land animal: White Fang by Jack London White Fang
3.- Mythological animal: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King The Eyes of the Dragon
4.- Sea animal: El Pais Del Agua by Jacqueline Balcells
5.- Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Charlotte's Web
6.- La isla de las mariposas by Corina Bomann La isla de las mariposas
7.- Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss Fox in Socks
8.- Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren Pippi Longstocking <3!!!!

message 26: by ♞ Pat (last edited Jun 10, 2016 08:05PM) (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 536 comments Today, recommend at least 8 books with Animal(s) on the cover. To fit in with our teams, recommend at least ONE "Air" animal, ONE "Land" animal, ONE "Mythological" animal and ONE "Sea" animal.

AIR
The Palest Ink by Kay Bratt by Kay Bratt
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan by Hillary Jordan
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd by Sue Monk Kidd
Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg by Elizabeth Berg
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley by Alan Bradley
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah by Kristin Hannah

LAND
Pet Sematary by Stephen King by Stephen King
Last Chance Llama Ranch by Hilary Fields by Hilary Fields
The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss by Molly Gloss

MYTHOLOGICAL
Bad Unicorn by Platte F. Clark by Platte F. Clark
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini by Christopher Paolini
The Last Dragonslayer (The Chronicles of Kazam, #1) by Jasper Fforde by Jasper Fforde

SEA
Close to Shore The Terrifying Shark Attacks of 1916 by Michael Capuzzo by Michael Capuzzo
Ella Minnow Pea A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable by Mark Dunn by Mark Dunn
Jaws by Peter Benchley by Peter Benchley
Island of the Blue Dolphins (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #1) by Scott O'Dell by Scott O'Dell

EXTINCT
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton by Michael Crichton

message 27: by Alexis (last edited Jun 12, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Alexis Kastigar | 120 comments Staying away from the famous series(es?), I could only find a few that I thought really worth recommending (all featuring land animals):

The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1) by Joan Wolf by Joan Wolf (for all my Arthurian legend lovers, especially those who, like me, adore Morgana/Morgan)

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski by Andrzej Sapkowski, also known as the first book in The Witcher Series (yes the same series that inspired the video game).

Into the Wild (Warriors, #1) by Erin Hunter by Erin Hunter. These are more middle-grade reading, but they're so fun, well-written, substantial novels, and feature cats!

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather | 528 comments Land: Hillary Tail of the Dog (Hillary, #1) by Angel Gelique (Horror! The warning is there for a reason.)
Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Hocking Ice Kissed (Kanin Chronicles, #2) by Amanda Hocking Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop

Sea: The Paper Swan by Leylah Attar

Air: MARY Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2) by Hillary Monahan

Mythological: Letters to Zell by Camille Griep (fairy)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.