Start by marking “Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1)

Frostfire

(Kanin Chronicles #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  15,341 ratings  ·  1,671 reviews
Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with he
Published January 6th 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Frostfire, please sign up.
Alyssa You don't have to read any of Hocking's other books to read Frostfire! The Trylle trilogy (Switched, Torn, Ascend) is set in the same world as the Kan…moreYou don't have to read any of Hocking's other books to read Frostfire! The Trylle trilogy (Switched, Torn, Ascend) is set in the same world as the Kanin Chronicles, but the Kanin Chronicles - Frostfire - features a different tribe of trolls (the Kanin), a different conflict, different (new) characters. There is some crossover, in terms of character cameos from the Trylle trilogy, but you do not need to read the trilogy at all to read Frostfire. You'll be fine! :)(less)
Lila Wayne Yup, there are a couple of crossovers. Wendy and Loki appear for a chapter, Ember Holmes is like one of the main characters here, Finn and Annali also…moreYup, there are a couple of crossovers. Wendy and Loki appear for a chapter, Ember Holmes is like one of the main characters here, Finn and Annali also appear, and Tove and markis Bain are present there. (less)

·  15,341 ratings  ·  1,671 reviews

Start your review of Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1)
Faye, la Patata
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This was going so well, and then it went FUBAR  in the end.

I don't know about what you feel right now, folks, but right now I feel like making a hole in the wall with my mighty fist. This isn't to say that this is a bad book, though, because I liked some parts, BUT GODDAMN THE STUPIDITY IN THE END REALLY JUST GOT TO ME.

You see this fist? This is the fist I'll be putting between my teeth so I won't actually destroy our wall. Find my rage petty if you wish, but it's not a joke when I say I'm pr
Michelle
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned-series
It was impossible for me to ignore “Frostfire” given how beautiful its cover is. The art is simple yet striking -- and what is up with that title? I was already intrigued enough, I couldn’t pass up reading it…

Silly me!

There is so much potential within this world of “Kanin Chronicles”, but the pacing and lack of depth, didn't back up the story to the full worth of the plot. Knowing that this book is the first in a series, I wasn’t expecting a solid conclusion -- but this book literally just stop
Sarah Elizabeth
“Konstantin stabbed my father. I’ll remember his face until I die.”

This was an okay story, but it really dragged for me.

Bryn was quite a stubborn, short-sighted girl. She seemed unable to see anyone’s viewpoint other than her own, and even questioned why a friend would want to have a child! She was diligent when it came to her work it seemed, but she was also unwilling to change her plans or her mind even when she was wrong!

"But we're wasting resources," I insisted. "We only have so many
Alyssa

Book One of the Kanin Chronicles
Publisher: St. Martins Griffin
Publication Date: January 6, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

The first book in a magical new YA series from New York Times bestselling author Amanda Hocking that invites readers back to the beloved world of the Trylle.

Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes. Set apart by her heri
Wren (fablesandwren)
I guess not all trolls look like this?

I actually think this could get really interesting.

This book felt like the information book though. Like Hocking wanting to build up their whole other part to human kind (troll-world) and wanted to make you ready for the other two books in the series.

Bryn isn't accepted anywhere.

She is part Kamin and part Skojare, two completely different troll tribes. Being a mix of bloods, she is frowned upon in general and also doesn't possess any of the power that the
Irena BookDustMagic
Apr 24, 2016 is currently reading it
So I am finally reading this after putting it off since it came out.

And you know what? I am enjoying it so far!

description
shakespeareandspice
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this audiobook from Audible in exchange for a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

[1.5 stars]

My initial interest in Frostfire was sparked not only because of the premise of the book, but also because the author claimed (on her website) that this series will not have a love triangle as one of its conflicts. In this point in the game, I think it’s fair to claim that most of YA fantasy/sci-fi (particularly the ones with a female main character) is riddled with
Claudia Castaño
Jul 17, 2014 marked it as to-read
description
Here is the cover! Isn't precious?!!
:D
Cody
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, cover-love
“Bryn Aven. Remember my name. Because I'm going to be the one who kills you.”

Well.. I didn’t think I would ever read a book about Trolls and love it! I’m new to Amanda Hocking’s books so I’m completely new to this concept of Trolls but I have to say I really enjoyed this one. I am totally loving the title Frostfire, to me this promises lots of action that we sadly didn’t get a great deal of but I love it all the same and adore the wintery cover.

Bryn is apart of a troll tribe called the Kanin
Jeff
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I have no words......literally......

Amanda Hocking’s other series, the Trylle, was jaw-dropping.
This one.....IDEK.

But let me tell you one thing:
Ridley is damn hoootttttttttt as hell. ;)

So honestly, this dude was what led me throughout the whole series. :)))
not sure if that’s a good things tho..

I found this book pretty pointless but hey, points for giving me a hawt boy.
The author did a great job of making him interesting but when it comes to the actual main character, Bryn........
NAH.

She was jus
Norah Una Sumner
“You don't need that on your conscience.”
His death I could handle. It's his life that I don't need weighing on me.”

Really enjoyed reading this!The main character is really great,I don't understand why most of you are irritated by her-I thought that she's actually very smart for not trusting everyone & I could easily understand why she feels like her job is her whole life.I loved the side kicks -Ember,Tilda & Ridley.They all seem extremely nice and supportive.The story itself was very inter
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved it but so many questions still hanging! And can Bryn and Ridley just get together already?! Of course not they will fight it until the very end and then fiiiinally give in. Loved seeing Finn and his family! But wish Bryn interacted with Wendy and Loki! They were just seen at the party and that is it! Loved seeing Tove kick butt again too! I just love this world. I love seeing it from a different perspective. The tracker, working class perspective. And from the Kanin instead of the Trylle. ...more
Prabhjot Kaur (Away)
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, ya, romance
Trolls! Trolls! Trolls!

Yes, I feel like I was Trolled by Amanda Hocking. I didn't understand why the author said that this world of Trolls is different when in reality it is exactly like the human world. They have all things human except for few tribes of Trolls. I was expecting Trolls with some powers or completely different looking Trolls but obviously that's not what the author was going for.

Bryn, I didn't mind her. She is independent, hard working, not full of herself, daring, brave, confuse
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
“Remember my name. Because I'm going to be the one who kills you.”

Bryn is determined to become the best tracker among the Kanin, respected for her abilities and not an outcast due to her mixed blood. But when the man who murdered her father shows up again and begins to kidnap changelings, she finds it difficult to choose between her chosen path, and what she believes to be right.

I haven't read any of Amanda Hocking's previous books set in this universe and thus did a bit of digging before st
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4 Stars

I've been so eager to read FROSTFIRE since I seen the amazing cover last year and fell madly in love with it. And the rest of the series covers are just as amazing, if not better!! And when I received my ARC for review, I nearly jumped for joy at it's awesomeness!!

But honestly, I may have had my exceptions a little too high. I read Hocking's Zombie series and absolutely LOVED it. So I guess I may have set my standards to those same exceptions, because it wasn't as good as I hoped, and i
Hilly
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I missed Amanda Hocking's trolls so much.
After having tried reading another series by her, I only wanted to go back to drown in Loki's eyes (HOW I MISS HIM EVEN NOW). That book was a pain to read and made me question if the author was the same person as the one who wrote the Trylle series.
Finally I decided to read this second troll series, and I was hooked from the first 10 minutes of the audiobook.

This was my first audiobook, and it was an amazing experience. I never thought I would h
Claire
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series, smp
3.5 - "Remember my name. Because I'm going to be the one that kills you." Stars.

It's been a while since I delved into NA, and it has been a refreshing break, for a reader who has been struggling terribly with her reading focus of late. The fantasy genre is also one I only visit on occasion, but Amanda Hocking has got the mix just right with Frost Fire there is a lot of scene setting and background building in this book, but it doesn't overwhelm or distract from the story too much.

"Don't worry. W
Giulia
Here we go with my first book of 2016!

Frostfire had a lot of good stuff in it, and a lot of not very good stuff. I feel like this book had great potential, but kept falling flat on its face. Let me explain it to you.

Pros:

• The main character, Bryn. She is one of the most likable MCs in YA literature that I've ever read about. She works for her kingdom and takes her job very seriously, and she has a lot of realistic struggles and issues - she fights with her family, she's scared about her future
hayden
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 stars

While Frostfire attempted to redeem itself in the end with a thrilling climax and haunting denouement, it got off to a slow start with exposition that bogged it down and lackluster characterization. Frostfire fails to present enough unique ideas and blurs into Hocking's other, much better, works. Here's to hoping she can present enough thrills and character development in future installments to redeem the series.

Thanks to St. Martin's for the ARC!
Karen
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, read-in-2020
I won the Kanin Chronicles via a Goodreads Giveaway. Thank you.

I enjoyed the twist on the species as I've never heard trolls and their tribes described the way Hocking sets them up. I'm easily sucked in by YA covers, here it is no different and lured me in for a January winter read. The main character's job is an interesting one of strength, skill, and intelligence despite its purpose and necessity in being the final step to scam wealthy humans out of their money in order to keep wealthy trolls
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
As I have stated before,for me the first book in a series is a amuse bouche. It is a small taste,a tease, leaving you wanting more.
I am not convinced that this book has me hankering for more. I thought that the storytelling lacked smooth transitioning and the characters were a little flat.
I thought it was an easy read and a interesting spin on the world of Trolls.
The ending was very abrupt,again a problem with smooth transitioning.
All in all,I may read the next book,I am a little intrigued to
Kathylill
Dec 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, young-adult, fantasy
Could not get into it. Too heavy on the crooning high-school drama love-triangle side. Not enough action. DNF'ed. ...more
Dee☾
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
What kind of ending was that?! It was way too fast and left me with so many questions unanswered!! But nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and I enjoyed being back in the world of the Trylle, but from the Kanin perspective. I can't wait for the next two installments!

My full review can be found here
Katerina
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, favorites
Umm after I finished the last chapter I searched for the next book's publication date (after I made sure that there weren't any missing pages from my copy) and a super frustrated me started screaming HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT UNTIL MAY??I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!SO MANY FEELINGS!!*sobs*

Bryn Aven is a half blood troll,half Kanin and half Skojare,which means she is hardly accepted by the Kanin society,she doesn't possess the magical abilities of any of these tribes and she has to try harder than e
pstreads
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Bought this purely based on recommendations from you guys... Looks pretty promising.

***

Review to come.
Paula | pastbookish
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s good but its not my cup-of-tea? Also, not planning to read the next book.
Jaylia3
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are plenty of books about vampires, fae, witches, and werewolves but not so many about trolls, which is part of why I love Amanda Hocking’s novels. Frostfire is the first entry in Hocking’s second series set in her troll-verse, a world exactly like our own but with the addition of human-resembling trolls who love nature, live in elaborate out of the way communities, and acquire wealth by placing some of their children in human families as changelings.

Bryn Aven is a Tracker with the dual j
Tracey
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
Enjoyable, but nothing outstanding. I'm not sure I liked Bryn all that much, so I'm hoping that will change in the next book. I did love Ridley though so he made up for my lack of connection with Bryn. I have to say that the ending was kind of weak. Oh well, onto book two.

3.5/5 Stars
Vani Kaushal
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it

Bryn Aven is a Skojare (a semi aquatic tribe of trolls), but she must make her way in a world that's different to hers, inhabited by the powerful tribe of Kanin. She works as a tracker (one entrusted to bring back Kanin changelings from the human world) and eager to get into the most elite guard of the Kanin Kingdom, the Hogdragen. Will she, won’t she? With her blonde hair and blue eyes, she not only looks different from the Kanins, she also lacks the skin changing abilities they have. To compli
Denia  Books & Baubles
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a bit boring for me. I was expecting more action, but who knows. I like when Bryn and Ridley were finally together but other than that, I think is lacking actin or something

• The Captive Maiden (Hagenheim, #4)
  • Befriending the Quran: A Beginner's Guide for Nurturing Closeness to the Quran
  • A Case For Kindness: 40 Ways to Love and Inspire Others
  • My Body, My Suffering: When She Was Destroyed by Perfection
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • Teardrop (Teardrop, #1)
  • Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
  • Empire of Night (Age of Legends, #2)
  • Crewel (Crewel World, #1)
  • Winter Queen (Fairy Queens, #1)
  • Vampire Academy - The Ultimate Guide
  • Forest of Ruin (Age of Legends, #3)
  • Defiance (Defiance, #1)
  • Struck (Phoebe Meadows, #1)
  • Světla nad močálem (Světla nad močálem, #1)
  • Nine Days
  • Tooth, Tongue, and Claw
  • The Art of Letting God
See top shelves…
AMANDA HOCKING is the author of over twenty young adult novels, including the New York Times bestselling Trylle Trilogy and Kanin Chronicles. Her love of pop culture and all things paranormal influence her writing. She spends her time in Minnesota, taking care of her menagerie of pets and working on her next book.

Several of her books have made the New York Times Bestsellers list. Her zombie series

Kanin Chronicles (3 books)
  • Ice Kissed (Kanin Chronicles, #2)
  • Crystal Kingdom (Kanin Chronicles, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Don't miss the perennial bestseller's answers to your questions about beating a reading slump, advice to new writers, and her latest book,...
“Remember my name. Because I'm going to be the one who kills you.” 17 likes
“Before when we were talking, were you asking why her?" The aurora above us reflected on his face, and his dark eyes were filled with heat. "Or were you asking why not you?” 13 likes