Start by marking “A Redbird Christmas” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  18,282 ratings  ·  2,301 reviews
From the beloved author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe comes her latest New York Times bestseller--a new Yuletide classic about small-town America and larger-than-life wonders.
Published October 25th 2005 by Fawcett Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Redbird Christmas, please sign up.
Gerri If you are looking for a Christmas read, Truman Capote’s A Christmas Memory is nice, or a really short one, different author, A Cup of Christmas Tea. …moreIf you are looking for a Christmas read, Truman Capote’s A Christmas Memory is nice, or a really short one, different author, A Cup of Christmas Tea. In terms of other books, if you like Fanny Flagg, any of her books, or even the Miss Julia books by Ann B. Ross. Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Simonson, and my favorite this year, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Hang in there for the last one, it is not what you think it is going to be when you start out. (less)
Elaine Not in the version of the book I read, but maybe in newer paperback books. However, I did find questions published by LitLovers by googling 'A Redbird…moreNot in the version of the book I read, but maybe in newer paperback books. However, I did find questions published by LitLovers by googling 'A Redbird Christmas discussion questions' (less)

·  18,282 ratings  ·  2,301 reviews

Start your review of A Redbird Christmas
Taryn Rydell
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this heartwarming story about a lonely man that moves to a very small town for what he believes will be his last Christmas. I enjoyed the humor with which the author weaves this tale, the characters are rich and believable, and the relationship between the man and the Redbird (Jack) is touching and sweet. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Fannie Flagg that I knew as a comedian was also an accomplished author. This is an easy Christmas tale that I would recommend to readers ...more
Phrynne
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
A short, sweet book about life in small town America where good things happen to good people and bad things to bad people. A place where everyone eventually meets the love of their life and lives happily ever after. In other words suspend belief all ye who enter here but just settle back and enjoy it for what it is. Not every book you read has to be a literary masterpiece!
Bettie

Description: Oswald T. Campbell, aged fifty-two, down-and-out in a Chicago winter, is given only months to live unless he moves South... He finds himself in the small town of Lost River, Alabama, where the residents are friendly if feud-prone and eccentric to a fault. One of them, Roy, keeps a red cardinal, a once wounded bird called Jack. Patsy, a sad, sweet little kid with a crippled leg, from the trailer park up in the woods, takes to dropping by the store - and falls in love with Jack.

Flagg
Ann
Nov 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
***SPOILER ALERT***
Predictable. Dripping with cliche. Gaggably sappy.

Dying man is cured. Crippled orphan girl is healed and gets a mommy and a daddy. Broken-hearted bachelor finally gets to marry the true love of his youth. Spinster finds true love. Dead bird that everyone loved comes back (sort of) as a Christmas miracle. Do I need to go on?

The rest of my book club LOVED it. What does that say about me? About my book club? Not sure.
Moonkiszt
Redbird Christmas is absolutely one of my holiday favorites! Right up there with It's a Wonderful Life, and Elf, I'm so glad to listen to Fannie Flagg narrate this book.

The characters are dear and their struggles are the kind one imagines would be experienced by a neighborhood right smack dab on a river in Alabama. There is a death sentence, a duel with a Creole family, a postal worker who wants to write, elderly mothers who go nuts, a robust community group called the Polka Dots, a tragedy, cro
Kimber
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, christmas
Fannie Flagg writes inspirational novels and creates characters imbued with humor and goodness and moral integrity. She is creating her own world, her own society within these settings, of perhaps how the world should be. ..not how it is. The doing of good deeds is important and characters usually end with the achievement of self-actualization in some form or another. This community is usually symbolized in the small town, where neighbors support each other and the world of nature. The intertwin ...more
Anna
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audiobook, read by Fannie Flagg. She gives the perfect nuance to the quintessential southern charm she embodies in her novels. Filled with loveable, eccentric characters that touched my heart, making me feel a part of their community. Humourous, sometimes tragic and brimming with love and hope, a wonderful story of a Christmas miracle.
Kandice
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I audio-ed this and for anyone who has read Flagg and is familiar with her friendly style of story telling I cannot recommend listening to her read her own books enough. I grew up in West Virginia so Flagg’s accent reminds me of any number of my relatives. She sounds so sweet and forgiving even when describing someone on a drinking binge. You know what I mean, like when someone talks about how dumb or ugly someone is, but throws a “bless their heart” in every once in a while to take away the sti ...more
Jenny
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best Christmas book ever! It's sweet, funny and touching. I've read it 4 times and given copies to friends. Fannie Flagg herself reads the audio version and I hear she's working on a movie version. I vote for William H. Macy for the lead.
Negin
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy comfort reads, especially at Christmas
I read this book more than seven years ago, but barely remembered it. I was in the mood for a comfort, Christmas read, and this was perfect. This story touched my heart, as pretty much all Fannie Flagg books do. Yes, they often are a bit predictable and a bit like a “Hallmark” movie, but sometimes that’s what we need. Reading them makes me wish that I lived in that world – full of southern charm, where people are genuinely hospitable, caring, and compassionate.

Ange H
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Updated December 2019 - second read - VERY Nice

Loved this just as much the second time!

-------------------------------------

I have madly loved every one of Fannie Flagg's books. They are adorable, wonderful, feel-good fantasies of small town life in the south. This one takes place in Lost River Arkansas, with the usual collection of kind-hearted eccentrics living in the kind of community everyone secretly dreams of finding.

Oswald Campbell, is a very sick, lonely man. At the stern recommendatio
Ashley
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Better than warm chocolate chip cookies and a fire in the fireplace, Fannie Flagg always makes me feel good about the world and people in general. A Redbird Christmas tells a very touching story about a man on the brink of death in Chicago who is advised to move South to a more temperate climate or risk dying from pneumonia. With only a medical pension, he cannot afford Florida, but he can afford to rent a room on the Lost River in Alabama where, for the first time in his life, he finds a home ...more
Serendipity Reviews
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am so glad that I managed to find this gorgeous little book by Fannie Flagg, it really did give me a glow in my heart. Fannie Flagg is one of those authors who makes you believe that miracles really do happen. Her books are just so heartwarming to read and full of surprises and wonder.

This is a rather short book but packed full to the brim of interesting and heartwarming characters. The book begins with Oswald, a depressed former alcoholic who has been given months to live. After reading a br
Elinor
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just love everything Fannie Flagg writes, possibly because I live in a small town and can appreciate her masterful depiction of the rural lifestyle. Perfect for reading in front of the fireplace, or in the bathtub, it tells the story of a dying man who relocates to a town in Alabama to enjoy his few remaining months, and finds companionship and redemption there. Heartwarming, original, cleverly crafted (and some would say just plain sappy), this novel served as a smooth introduction to the Chr ...more
Dianne
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fannie Flagg hits the nail on the head once again, with this utterly charming and sweet novella of hope. She manages to bring you from what could have been a very depressing book to a book filled with warmth, hope, miracles, and forgiveness.

The perfect short read at Christmas...but really perfect for any time of the year if you like a sweet heartfelt novella with well-written characters, a good storyline, excellent recipes (ton's of them!)

This book will have you laughing then weeping then laug
SheriC (PM)
I read this almost a month ago and it was so unmemorable that I have already forgotten nearly everything about the plot, except that it was entirely predictable and so unrelentingly sweet that I felt I needed an insulin shot before I was done. However, it was pleasant enough to keep me engaged until the end.

Audiobook, read by the author, who does not provide a very polished performance but nevertheless read with warmth and authenticity.
T
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a talented writer. I don't usually enjoy the run of the mill, sappy sweet Christmas stories, but lucky for me this wasn't one of them. While the story is very sweet, it isn't predictable. The characters are varied, and like-able, and the story moves quickly, and stays interesting. A great Christmas story.
Suzy
I love Fannie Flagg's storytelling. She portrays small southern (U.S.) towns in a heartwarming yet truthful way. This is a sweet, not saccharine, story set in Lost River, Alabama with Christmastime as a thread throughout. It's full of characters, some broken, some not who come together to create an "accidental" family with magic happening along the way.

I always enjoy listening to Flagg tell her own story. It struck me this time that she does not voice the characters as professional narrators wou
Donna
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything Fannie Flagg does well as an author, she does in this book. This was a happy, feel-good Christmas story, complete with hope, wonder, and love. The characters were wonderfully quirky and I loved the charm of the hometown feel. I completely enjoyed the journey of this one. This story had many threads woven in. It was about a town, not just an individual. And I loved the idea of the redbird. I think that pushed this to 5 stars.
Cathy Daniel
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this a million stars?! This was the BEST and SWEETEST little book ever!!
Serendipity Loves
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This book was gifted to me by a very dear friend from Pennsylvania. I love receiving books, they bring with them authors I've not heard of them.

This is a heart warming story, based in a small village. It's set around Christmas (but can be read anytime of the year). It's light easy reading, with great bit of humour. Loved it.
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Fannie Flag is just genius. SO many happy tears.

Review to come.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
Elizabeth
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pop-fiction
This book is so uplifting, comforting and heartwarming.

I want to spend some time in Lost River, Alabama. I want to meet the characters in this book and share a potluck supper with them.

Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
So I see ratings for this book all over the place. I get not every book is made for everybody. Just like ice cream we have more than one choice. It however still surprises me that some people were bored by this book! I absolutely loved it.

To me this book is like the Goldilocks of books. By that I mean this book was not a bubblegum fluff piece (Think 1980s pop music); this book was not heavy fiction way too difficult to understand (like the writing styles of Edgar Allan Poe or Thomas Paine); this
Sarah Booth
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Redbird Christmas

Oswald Campbell is informed by his doctor that he does not have long to live and that he needs to go to a warmer climate to prolong his life. He is giving a brochure for a spa in a small town in Alabama. He discovers the spa is gone but warm-hearted people in the town of Lost River Alabama find him a place to stay.
I love all the characters in this book but my favorite is Jack the redbird that comes to mean so much to so many people.
This book will touch your heart and remind y
Wendy
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At first I thought this book was going to be sad but... I won't spoil it. All I know is I really loved this book and will definitely read it again. And again. And again. :) Read this for the second time this Christmas. Still love it!!! And I think it will be an every year read... at Christmas.
2012 Read again for Christmas.
Still love this book, Still makes me cry.
2013 Yep...cried again. Gotta love a good cry at Christmas :D
2014 Gotta have my annual Christmas Cry :D
2015 Not as much crying as I was
Angie
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...rounded up to 5 for the warm fuzzies it provided

Maybe it's because it was loaned to me by a friend who labeled it as "one of my favorite books of all time" or maybe it's because I live in Alabama myself or maybe it's because it really is so good...but I loved this book! Heartwarming is the perfect word to describe it. A great Holiday season read for sure, but I still loved it in the month of May. Quirky, sweet characters and yes, a little bit of cliche but it just made me smile (and
Kimberly
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winter
A new Christmas favorite! I loved it from the first chapter.

2018 Christmas reread. This book gets better with time. I listened to the audio read by the author and enjoyed following along with Oswald and Patsy. This year the theme of orphan and injured stood out front and center. Oswald is ill, Patsy has a club foot, Jack’s wing is broken, and Roy has a broken heart. This community of 108 residents take in the orphaned with open arms. Love, love, love.

Ok the bird references are amazing too. Oswa
Lisa
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg
★★★★ ½

Synopsis: Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who deli
The Challenge Fac...: Daph & Erin - A Redbird Christmas 21 13 Dec 19, 2017 08:33PM
Holidazed Book Club : Holiday feel-good stories 1 9 Nov 26, 2016 06:20AM
Bookworm Bitches : December 2013: A Redbird Christmas 33 139 Mar 13, 2016 05:56PM

• 24 goda gärningar
  • Solsken och parmesan
  • Skipping Christmas
  • Dan före dan
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Jultrubbel i Snowdonia
  • Vinter vid Sommen (Sommen, #2)
  • Vaxade juveler och brända hjärtan
  • Mannen som hyrde en familj
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Sprucket läder och svikna löften (Huskvarnaserien, #4)
  • Noel Street
  • The Rancher's Legacy (Red Dog Ranch #1)
  • Magisk Jul
  • Hoping for a Father
  • Lyckokakan
  • The Christmas Train
  • The Cowboy's Secret
Fannie Flagg began writing and producing television specials at age nineteen and went on to distinguish herself as an actress and writer in television, films, and the theater. She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (which was produced by Universal Pictures as "Fried Green Tomatoes"), Welcome to the World, Bab ...more