Start by marking “A Redbird Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Redbird Christmas

A Redbird Christmas

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  14,838 Ratings  ·  1,837 Reviews
From the beloved author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe comes her latest New York Times bestseller--a new Yuletide classic about small-town America and larger-than-life wonders.
Published October 25th 2005 by Fawcett Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Redbird Christmas, please sign up.
Gerri If you are looking for a Christmas read, Truman Capote’s A Christmas Memory is nice, or a really short one, different author, A Cup of Christmas Tea.…moreIf you are looking for a Christmas read, Truman Capote’s A Christmas Memory is nice, or a really short one, different author, A Cup of Christmas Tea. In terms of other books, if you like Fanny Flagg, any of her books, or even the Miss Julia books by Ann B. Ross. Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Simonson, and my favorite this year, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Hang in there for the last one, it is not what you think it is going to be when you start out. (less)

Taryn Rydell
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this heartwarming story about a lonely man that moves to a very small town for what he believes will be his last Christmas. I enjoyed the humor with which the author weaves this tale, the characters are rich and believable, and the relationship between the man and the Redbird (Jack) is touching and sweet. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Fannie Flagg that I knew as a comedian was also an accomplished author. This is an easy Christmas tale that I would recommend to readers ...more
Phrynne
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
A short, sweet book about life in small town America where good things happen to good people and bad things to bad people. A place where everyone eventually meets the love of their life and lives happily ever after. In other words suspend belief all ye who enter here but just settle back and enjoy it for what it is. Not every book you read has to be a literary masterpiece!
Bettie☯

Description: Oswald T. Campbell, aged fifty-two, down-and-out in a Chicago winter, is given only months to live unless he moves South... He finds himself in the small town of Lost River, Alabama, where the residents are friendly if feud-prone and eccentric to a fault. One of them, Roy, keeps a red cardinal, a once wounded bird called Jack. Patsy, a sad, sweet little kid with a crippled leg, from the trailer park up in the woods, takes to dropping by the store - and falls in love with Jack.

Flagg
Ann
Nov 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
***SPOILER ALERT***
Predictable. Dripping with cliche. Gaggably sappy.

Dying man is cured. Crippled orphan girl is healed and gets a mommy and a daddy. Broken-hearted bachelor finally gets to marry the true love of his youth. Spinster finds true love. Dead bird that everyone loved comes back (sort of) as a Christmas miracle. Do I need to go on?

The rest of my book club LOVED it. What does that say about me? About my book club? Not sure.
Lyubov
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книгата си е чисти 2 звезди, пълна е с клишета от първа до последна страница. Но в момента явно имам нужда точно от купчинка уютни клишета, така че слагам розовите читателски очила и давам 3 звезди с кеф :)
Anna
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audiobook, read by Fannie Flagg. She gives the perfect nuance to the quintessential southern charm she embodies in her novels. Filled with loveable, eccentric characters that touched my heart, making me feel a part of their community. Humourous, sometimes tragic and brimming with love and hope, a wonderful story of a Christmas miracle.
Kandice
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I audio-ed this and for anyone who has read Flagg and is familiar with her friendly style of story telling I cannot recommend listening to her read her won books enough. I grew up in West Virginia so Flagg’s accent reminds me of any number of my relatives. She sounds so sweet and forgiving even when describing someone on a drinking binge. You know what I mean, like when someone talks about how dumb or ugly someone is, but throws a “bless their heart” in every once in a while to take away the sti ...more
Jenny
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best Christmas book ever! It's sweet, funny and touching. I've read it 4 times and given copies to friends. Fannie Flagg herself reads the audio version and I hear she's working on a movie version. I vote for William H. Macy for the lead.
Ashley
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Better than warm chocolate chip cookies and a fire in the fireplace, Fannie Flagg always makes me feel good about the world and people in general. A Redbird Christmas tells a very touching story about a man on the brink of death in Chicago who is advised to move South to a more temperate climate or risk dying from pneumonia. With only a medical pension, he cannot afford Florida, but he can afford to rent a room on the Lost River in Alabama where, for the first time in his life, he finds a home ...more
SheriC (PM)
I read this almost a month ago and it was so unmemorable that I have already forgotten nearly everything about the plot, except that it was entirely predictable and so unrelentingly sweet that I felt I needed an insulin shot before I was done. However, it was pleasant enough to keep me engaged until the end.

Audiobook, read by the author, who does not provide a very polished performance but nevertheless read with warmth and authenticity.
Serendipity Reviews
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am so glad that I managed to find this gorgeous little book by Fannie Flagg, it really did give me a glow in my heart. Fannie Flagg is one of those authors who makes you believe that miracles really do happen. Her books are just so heartwarming to read and full of surprises and wonder.

This is a rather short book but packed full to the brim of interesting and heartwarming characters. The book begins with Oswald, a depressed former alcoholic who has been given months to live. After reading a br
Donna
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything Fannie Flagg does well as an author, she does in this book. This was a happy, feel-good Christmas story, complete with hope, wonder, and love. The characters were wonderfully quirky and I loved the charm of the hometown feel. I completely enjoyed the journey of this one. This story had many threads woven in. It was about a town, not just an individual. And I loved the idea of the redbird. I think that pushed this to 5 stars.
Serendipity Loves
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This book was gifted to me by a very dear friend from Pennsylvania. I love receiving books, they bring with them authors I've not heard of them.

This is a heart warming story, based in a small village. It's set around Christmas (but can be read anytime of the year). It's light easy reading, with great bit of humour. Loved it.
Tricia
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a talented writer. I don't usually enjoy the run of the mill, sappy sweet Christmas stories, but lucky for me this wasn't one of them. While the story is very sweet, it isn't predictable. The characters are varied, and like-able, and the story moves quickly, and stays interesting. A great Christmas story.
Elizabeth
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pop-fiction
This book is so uplifting, comforting and heartwarming.

I want to spend some time in Lost River, Alabama. I want to meet the characters in this book and share a potluck supper with them.

Suzy
I love Fannie Flagg's storytelling. She portrays small southern (U.S.) towns in a heartwarming yet truthful way. This is a sweet, not saccharine, story set in Lost River, Alabama with Christmastime as a thread throughout. It's full of characters, some broken, some not who come together to create an "accidental" family with magic happening along the way.

I always enjoy listening to Flagg tell her own story. It struck me this time that she does not voice the characters as professional narrators wou
Wendy
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At first I thought this book was going to be sad but... I won't spoil it. All I know is I really loved this book and will definately read it again. And again. And again. :) Read this for the second time this Christmas. Still love it!!! And I think it will be an every year read... at Christmas.
2012 Read again for Christmas.
Still love this book, Still makes me cry.
2013 Yep...cried again. Gotta love a good cry at Christmas :D
2014 Gotta have my annual Christmas Cry :D
2015 Not as much crying as I was
Angie
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...rounded up to 5 for the warm fuzzies it provided

Maybe it's because it was loaned to me by a friend who labeled it as "one of my favorite books of all time" or maybe it's because I live in Alabama myself or maybe it's because it really is so good...but I loved this book! Heartwarming is the perfect word to describe it. A great Holiday season read for sure, but I still loved it in the month of May. Quirky, sweet characters and yes, a little bit of cliche but it just made me smile (and
Austra
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, x-mas
Ufff, nu tas tik bija cukuriņš! Pēc šī man noteikti būs jāpalasa kkas par ķeskām, lai atgūtos. Ja pārāk nepiesienas pie vienkāršā rakstības stila, tad šis ir mīlīgs ASV dienvidu ciemiņa sadzīves attēlojums, kur visi (izņemot tos, ar kuriem tev ir mūža naids un kas draud tev ielaist lodi pierē) ir galīgi jauki cilvēki + viens pieradināts sarkanais kardināls, kas visus vieno kopīgā supercukuriņā. Lasāmviela, kas der, lai noskaņotos uz Ziemassvētku brīnumiem.
Vesela
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Въпреки че не е от типа книги, които обикновено чета, с удоволствие давам 4* на тази наивна, но уютна история. Усещането да четеш тази стопляща сърцето книжка е подобно на това да се сгушиш премръзнал в меко одеяло с чаша горещо какао в студен зимен ден. А и понякога човек просто има нужда да прочете книга , за която знае,че каквото и да се случи, хепиендът е гарантиран :)) И да, наистина е клише до клише книгата от началото до края, но като се замисли човек простите и малки неща, които ни дават ...more
Knigoqdec
Като редица други хора и аз давам повече звезди, отколкото реално си заслужава книгата, ако я гледаме реалистично. Но все пак нейната цел не е да бъде реалистична. Това е просто една ведра, щастлива история... и това е всичко.
Lisa
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg
★★★★

Synopsis: Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who deliv
Elena T.
Lo spirito frizzante di Fannie Flagg allieta dolcemente la grigia quotidianità di chi è alle prese con il lavoro, gli impegni, lo studio - con l'esito confortante che sovente ricerchiamo quando abbiamo bisogno di una calda coperta di plaid che ci avvolga.

"Mr. Zuppa Campbell, il pettirosso e la bambina" ("A Redbird Christmas" in originale, al solito ci piace stravolgere il titolo) è proprio come il suo più celebre "Pomodori verdi fritti al Caffè di Whistle Stop": un toccasana per l'anima intorpid
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, seasonal
This novel is not going to win any literary awards and yes it is overly sweet but it was perfect for getting me into the right mood for Christmas season. I feel like I visited the little community of Lost River, each character is perfectly drawn, with its own personal story. It also very funny, a chuckled a few times and laughed out loud a couple of times. The audiobook read by the author was great too. 3 stars

My favourite quotes:

“Mother used to be a baker in Milwaukee, specialized in petits fo
Carly Svamvour
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This one came up for a discussion many moons ago - guess it was around Christmas . . . duh . . . I'm just getting around to listening to my audio version now.

I like the way it's kind of serious yet light and funny at the same time.

I like the way the old guy described how he never seemed to fit into the world - how he was probably born with odd socks, etc.

.............

I'll add to my review when I'm a little farther along . . . or finished entirely.

I finished listening to it tonight - delightful
Rusty Henrichsen
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is just a delightful book. I first read a condensed version about three years ago and then got the book on Amazon. It's about a man who is given a death sentence by his doctor. He changes locations, lifestyles and interests and along the way runs into a delightful little girl.

Two quotes: "On the way back home, Oswald thought about it and wondered which was worse, being an accordion player or being an alcoholic. He figured it was a toss-up." (page 95)
"The only time he did not fish was on Sat
Ginger
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
It was cute

so much cute...

Not my normal choice of reading but my book club picked it. It was a quick read. And yes I cried when (view spoiler). So I am not completely heartless.
Glad we figured that out.

I also made the 'Kentucky Bourbon Pie' using the recipe in the back of the book.
I would probably use one of my usual Pecan Pie recipes in the future and add a splash of Bourbon if I wanted to try it again. The addition of Chocolate Chips did nothing for me.

Not a bad re
Elinor
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just love everything Fannie Flagg writes, possibly because I live in a small town and can appreciate her masterful depiction of the rural lifestyle. Perfect for reading in front of the fireplace, or in the bathtub, it tells the story of a dying man who relocates to a town in Alabama to enjoy his few remaining months, and finds companionship and redemption there. Heartwarming, original, cleverly crafted (and some would say just plain sappy), this novel served as a smooth introduction to the Chr ...more
Christopher Hicks
This was a Fantastic book. I loved the storyline and the characters. It has that same quaint southern charm as Fried Green Tomatoes, another book by the same author. It shows how one incident in life can change the lives and futures of so many.
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fannie Flag is just genius. SO many happy tears.

Review to come.
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Letters
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • Christmas at Harrington's
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • 'Tis The Season
  • Call Me Mrs. Miracle (Angelic Intervention #8)
  • The Angel Doll: A Christmas Story
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
Fannie Flagg began writing and producing television specials at age nineteen and went on to distinguish herself as an actress and writer in television, films, and the theater.

She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (which was produced by Universal Pictures as Fried Green Tomatoes), Welcome to the World, Baby G

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Hippopotamus
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
“To Toot One’s Own Horn Is Unattractive.” 1 likes
“Mildred had had a few men friends after that, but she never really loved any of them. None could ever compete with the one that got away.” 0 likes