Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in May, 2014?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 965 comments Please tell us what you are reading, or plan to read, in May, 2014.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 366 comments Working on Tea at the Blue Lantern Inn: A Social History of the Tea Room Craze in America and a re-read of The Way of Kings right now. Then it's on to Except the Queen for my book club. Hopefully after that I'll get a chance to do more from my dwindling stack of already owned TBR.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 479 comments Right now it's The Monuments Men. Next up is The Children of the Sky.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2074 comments Mod
I'm still working on The Fifth Elephant, which is as hilarious as Discworld always is, then on to Childhood's End for the group read.

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm finding it difficult to read this week, I'm not well so it could just be that. I'm reading the The Gunslinger.

message 6: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited May 01, 2014 04:15PM) (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 82 comments Been reading Princeps' Fury for a couple of months....continuing....
And reading Childhood's End.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 589 comments I just finished reading Dark Eden which I really enjoyed. Next up is Blood Red Road

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3030 comments Mod
I finished The Darkness That Comes Before on May 1 and will be reading the next 2 books in that series, but not right away. Right now I'm into Broken Angels and also hope to read the third Takeshi Kovacs book this month. I forgot about Childhood's End being up this month so I might try to squeeze that in, if I have it here at home.

message 9: by Chris (last edited May 02, 2014 08:12AM) (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 72 comments I just started Nightfall. It's okay, but after just having finished Oryx and Crake, Nightfall feels very average.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1347 comments Finished Little Fuzzy
Not bad, there were some problems but all in all a fun little book

Started Tau Zero

message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Finished Broken Angels and liked it better than the first Takeshi Kovacs book. Oddly, it seemed less grim, although I can't point to anything that explains why I feel that way. I liked the whole Martians aspect--maybe it felt more scifi and that's why I liked it a bit better.

Next up is Childhood's End.

message 12: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I ripped through Childhood's End in a day. Trying to decide what to read next. Too many options in the TBR pile!

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Finished Childhood's End. On to Book 2 in the Prince of Nothing series.

message 14: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments ive read Revelation Space, currently reading The Stone Giant & Gerald's Game.

Im going to start Redemption Ark after these. Im really enjoying Gerald's Game and finding The Stone Giant a bit challenging as its dull.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine | 589 comments I finished reading Blood Red Road and have now moved on to The Golem and the Jinni

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1347 comments Finished Tau Zero this morning. Very good. Interesting.

Started on the second Fuzzy book Fuzzy Sapiens

message 17: by Nick (last edited May 14, 2014 07:11AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 965 comments Ken wrote: "Finished Tau Zero this morning. Very good. Interesting.

Started on the second Fuzzy book Fuzzy Sapiens"

I loved Tau Zero. I've not been that crazy about other Poul Andersons, so it was a pleasant surprise.

message 18: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I've been teaching my unit on astronomy to my 8th graders, so I picked up Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon, which has been sitting on my kindle for a few months. It was okay - I certainly learned from it, but the writing was so-so and it ended with an off-putting rant against the Obama administration's lack of support for the space program.

I was still in a space history kind of mood so now I'm re-reading Apollo 13, which I'd read years ago but don't remember much of the details (besides what's in the Tom Hanks movie, which I've seen at least ten times because I show it to my students every year).

message 19: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 366 comments Shel wrote: "I've been teaching my unit on astronomy to my 8th graders, so I picked up Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon, which has been sitting on my kindle for a few mon..."

If you're still on a space history kick, may I recommend Failure is not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond, Moon Lander: How We Developed the Apollo Lunar Module, and The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight? All excellent for different reasons. The Mercury 13 is a moving "behind the scenes" story about the search for qualified future astronauts. Moon Lander gets a bit dry/technical in places but is a great story about the kind of team-building it takes for such a massive technical project.

message 20: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Cool, thanks for the recs! Will look them up :)

message 21: by Mekki (new)

Mekki | 18 comments Helen wrote: "I'm finding it difficult to read this week, I'm not well so it could just be that. I'm reading the The Gunslinger."

The first book of the Darktower series was pretty good. It gets crazy in the second book (The Drawing of the Three. Both are one of my favorites.

I'm reading A Memory of Light this month. Once i finish i'll tackle Childhood's End

message 22: by Ken (last edited May 14, 2014 04:04PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1347 comments Shel wrote: "I've been teaching my unit on astronomy to my 8th graders, so I picked up Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon, which has been sitting on my kindle for a few mon..."

You should read Rocket Men: The Epic Story of the First Men on the Moon, It didnt have any commentary just the facts maam. First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong is pretty good.
I love all that is Apollo related.
There is also the book the series From the Earth to the Moon was based on A Man on the Moon
I havent read that one yet.

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1347 comments Nick wrote: "I loved Tau Zero. I've not been that crazy about ot..."

It was pretty good, I have read some reviews and most people dont like the characters. I didnt mind it. What I thought was interesting was I guessed part of the ending before it happened. I guess back then it wasnt common knowledge.

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine | 589 comments I just finished reading The Golem and the Jinni which I greatly enjoyed. I'm about to start A Turn of Light

message 25: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1347 comments Finished up Fuzzy Sapiens. Good but Little Fuzzy was better. This one tried to cram to much in this time.

Started on the Malzan Empire book 5 Midnight Tides

message 26: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I just picked up The Unremembered from the library and am looking forward to starting it. I read three short stories set in the Vault of Heaven universe as part of the tor.com collection that I've been working my way through slowly but surely, and really liked them so I'm optimistic about the series!

message 27: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments Currently reading No Enemy but Time. Slower reading than I anticipated. Planning to start Lycanthia: or The Children of Wolves by Tanith Lee -- looks like it is a non-cuddly werewolf story.

message 28: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton The Risen Empire - Scott Westerfeld. Space Opera is probably my favourite Sci-Fi genre.

message 29: by Sumant (new)

Sumant | 202 comments Well I am still stuck with Way of kings I loved the book so much on my kindle that between the middle of the book I ordered a hard copy, and now haven't found time to finish the book.

message 30: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 25 comments I'm reading Keeping It Real

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise | 6 comments I've been reading The Complete Lyonesses starting with Suldren's Garden recently and it struck me how different contemporary fantasy is. Modern tastes take you so close to the characters, and enforce such empathy, whereas with Vance you skip along the surface as though in an errant fairytale. Rather like the style William Goldman used for the narrative sections The Princess Bride but with less obvious satire. Or maybe just less funny.

message 32: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1347 comments Sumant wrote: "Well I am still stuck with Way of kings I loved the book so much on my kindle that between the middle of the book I ordered a hard copy, and now haven't found time to finish the book."

All books on my reader will have the hard copy on my shelf. Couple reasons. One, just want to have a real physical copy. Two, in case I lose the reader, I will have a copy to continue reading
(I almost lost the reader last week)

message 33: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton I'm now reading Scott Westerfeld's, Killing of Worlds

message 34: by Kythe42 (new)

Kythe42 I finished reading In the Days: A Tale of the Forgotten Continent by Andy Peloquin.

Review here.

I'm now reading Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle which feels appropriate since I recently read the first two books in the series and it has a similar theme in some ways to the book I just finished.

message 35: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton I have just finished The Killing of Worlds and I have six days left in May. Should I read Childhood's End or The Way of Kings?

message 36: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Juston wrote: "I have just finished The Killing of Worlds and I have six days left in May. Should I read Childhood's End or The Way of Kings?"

Childhood's End is a quick read.

message 37: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton Cheers Kath! Childhoods end it is .

message 38: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Juston wrote: "Cheers Kath! Childhoods end it is ."

Let us know what you think. :)

message 39: by Jae (new)

Jae (jae5) | 6 comments I've just re-read Joanne Harris' Chocolat and Lollipop Shoes and read Peaches for Monsieur le Cure. I love the whole magical realism thing. I've just downloaded the sample chapter of Runemarks.

message 40: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (lamorm10) | 1 comments Just started Brittle Star by Rod Val Moore.

message 41: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I just ripped through The Girl of Fire and Thorns in two days - really fun book, I especially liked the worldbuilding. Going to go buy the rest of the trilogy now ;)

message 42: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton I started The Martian as part of the reads for June. I'm up to chapter 7 now and I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying it. So far it is a very good read. looking forward to the discussion.

message 43: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton I've just finished The Martian by Andy Weir and it was a great read! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've just started Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson and so far it is surprising and refreshing.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.