Start by marking “The Stone Giant (Balumnia, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Stone Giant (Balumnia, #3)

The Stone Giant

(The Balumnia Trilogy #3)

To Theophile Escargot, it did not seem right to be run out of Twombly Town for stealing his own pie. And so he began his journey to fabled Balumnia, where he would discover magical powers that could make him a hero--and unearth legendary secrets!
Published June 1st 1989 by Grafton

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Giant

David Katzman
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
As I mentioned in my review of The Elfin Ship, I picked up this charming series again because I had adored the first two as a child. And was delighted to discover Blaylock had written this third book in the series, The Stone Giant, which I had never heard of.

Well...I'm glad I completed the series, but it wasn't really worth it. The Stone Giant is the least charming of the three. I did not realize until I had gotten into it a ways that it was actually a prequel to the other two books. Unfortunate
HighHopes
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I finished the book, so it gets minimum 2 stars. I give it a 3rd for nostalgia.. it's the first novel I ever read.
Eamonn
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Never came alive for me. I've loved some of his books (Last Coin, Digging Leviathan) but this one never became engaging. Disappointing.
pdarnold
Of the three books in this series, this is my least favorite. It had all the adventure and creepy craziness of the first two, and yet something was missing that I can't quite put my finger on. Is it darker? Yes. But that isn't the problem. Is there less adventure? No. Maybe even more that the others. I think part of what rubbed me wrong is that Theophile Escargot is so very... whiney! There is so much "oh woe is me" mentality I wanted to slap the little bugger! The other glitch was the constant ...more
Rebecca Stevenson
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is, for no reason I can fathom, a prequel to the other two Balumnia books, and it's a mark of how much I enjoy Blaylock as a stylist that I managed to finish it. Delightful though his sleepy towns and haunted forests are, this book has no plot, and the main character is almost entirely unlikable to me. Escargot made for a decent supporting cast member, but he's a terrible protagonist. The motivational mechanism of giving him a family is painfully thin (we find out "the wife's" name 4/5 of t ...more
Christina
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was the only book in the series that I have ever read. I found it on the shelf of an old paperback trade-in store and decided to read it. I found it a very surreal and interesting book. It was many years ago when I read it, and I have since lost my copy, but I can still remember how enchanting and haunting it was. Few books stick with me through the years like this one did. I can't wait to buy another copy and possibly look in to getting the other books in the series.
Mark
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book of Blaylock's Balumnia series is much darker than the first two, and his heart is just not into the whole epic/heroic fantasy thing (if these books can even qualify as such). Here heleaves behind the pastoral, pre-industrial fantasy motif to move on to his own blend of 20th century ghosts, deserts, and southern California nostalgia.
Charlie
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audible.com audio book, read by Malk Williams.

I did not expect book 3 in the series to be a prequel to book 1. In this book, our hero from the previous two books in hte series, Jonathan Bing, is not present. Instead, it tells the back story of another well known character Theophile Escargot. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the others.
Pickle
im sad i have to say but i really didnt enjoy this book and im only keeping it because of the previous two books.

I enjoyed up to page 60(ish) then it meandered into description after description of his travels. It was also darker in theme than the previous two but this offered nothing of any value.

A very poor end to what should be a nice, cheerful series
Michael Schmidt
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I'd read by James P. Blaylock. I think I was in my teens when I picked it up at a small gift shop while on a camping trip with my family. I loved it back then, but looking back I barely understood Blaylock's sense of humor. I read it again in college, and had a totally different experience.

I recommend this book to anyone who doesn't take themselves too seriously:)
Waynestennett
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Very slow starter. Had a hard time getting interested in this book.
John Pendergraft
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Crazy, a bit dark, well worth it.
K. Axel
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neal Barrett Jr. fans
A weird story that reminds me a lot about some of Neal Barrett Jr.'s stories. It is not a big read, but definitely worth a second look if I ever find the time for it.
Tim
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a rather lackluster series add-on from Blaylock that feels as if his heart wasn't really in it.
Jake
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3rd in series, but kind of a prequel.
Mark Scaia
Jul 24, 2009
Jason Thomas
Jan 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Hard Times in Dragon City (Shotguns & Sorcery #1)
  • The Kobold Wizard's Dildo of Enlightenment +2 (an Adventure for 3-6 Players, Levels 2-5
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • Fantasy Gone Wrong
  • Detective Strongoak and the Case of the Dead Elf
  • The Earth Lords
  • The Priest
  • The One and Only Shrek!
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • Urshurak
  • The Frost-Haired Vixen (Nuclear Bombshell, #4)
  • The Best of the Realms: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham (Forgotten Realms: The Best of the Realms, #3)
  • Realms of the Deep (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #7)
  • The Prophet of Lamath (Pelman the Powershaper #1)
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • Soul Seeker (The World of Lasniniar, #1)
  • HG Wells, Secret Agent
  • Bad Ass Faeries
James Paul Blaylock is an American fantasy author. He is noted for his distinctive style. He writes in a humorous way: His characters never walk, they clump along, or when someone complains (in a flying machine) that flight is impossible, the other characters agree and show him why he's right.

He was born in Long Beach, California; studied English at California State University, Fullerton, receivin

The Balumnia Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Elfin Ship (Balumnia, #1)
  • The Disappearing Dwarf (Balumnia, #2)