Start by marking “Nightfall” as Want to Read:
Nightfall

Nightfall

Imagine living on a planet with six suns that never experiences Darkness. Imagine never having seen the Stars. Then, one by one your suns start to set, gradually leading you into Darkness for the first time ever. Image the terror of such a Nightfall.

Scientists on the planet Kalgash discover that an eclipse - an event that occurs only every 2049 years - is imminent, and tha

Paperback, Spectra, 339 pages
Published January 27th 2012 by Bantam Books (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Nightfall, please sign up.
Irwin Fletcher Yeah, I don't think it was a typical collaboration. From what I can tell basically what happened is Asimov gave Silverberg permission to expand his…moreYeah, I don't think it was a typical collaboration. From what I can tell basically what happened is Asimov gave Silverberg permission to expand his nearly 50-year-old short story into a novel (on the condition it have no gratuitous sex, violence or foul language) and then gave the finished manuscript a thumbs up. He may have made some suggestions about the manuscript but Asimov said he had "very little to argue with". (less)

BlackOxford
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american, sci-fi
Fifteen Minutes in the Dark

The best science fiction looks backwards into the past as well as speculating forward into the future, linking things we think (or thought) we’re sure of with things that don’t exist. Comparing the two can be sobering as well as enlightening.

Asimov writes just this kind of inter-temporal story in Nightfall. On the one hand it anticipates things like the debates about climate change and dark matter that wouldn’t emerge more articulately for decades. On the other, it co
Apatt
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
“My god, it's full of stars!”

This famous phrase from 2001: A Space Odyssey is also applicable to Nightfall, but with an entirely opposite connotation.

Nightfall was originally a short story by Isaac Asimov, first published in 1941. It is considered a classic sci-fi short story, and often cited as one of the all-time greats (example “best” list). The book being reviewed here is an expansion of this short story, in collaboration of the great Robert Silverberg, a legend among veteran sci-fi reade
Manuel Antão
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1994
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Sextuple star system: "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg

"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore, and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown!"

In "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg

The story, of course, being about how it doesn't quite work out like that.

When I think about “Nightfall”, Byron’s “Darkness” comes to mind,
Ahmad Sharabiani
Nightfall, Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg
Nightfall, is a 1941 science fiction novelette by American writer Isaac Asimov about the coming of darkness to the people of a planet ordinarily illuminated by sunlight at all times. It was adapted into a novel with Robert Silverberg in 1990.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 1995 میلادی
عنوان: شبانگاه؛ نویسنده: آیزاک آسیموف؛ رابرت سیلوربرگ؛ مترجم: حسن اصغری؛ تهران، شقایق، 1374؛ در 326 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیال انگیز از نویسندگان امریکایی - سده 20 م
این داستان در سیا
فؤاد
(view spoiler) ...more
Emily
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Asimov and post-apocalyptic stories
To start with, I thought the original 1941 novelette was absolutely fascinating. People experiencing a world-wide event that had never occurred before in their entire history, trying to prepare for it and being horrified as it actually occurs. The end is an absolutely masterful span of writing, ever-increasing suspense and dark madness as a mob descends, cut off so abruptly, it's almost certainly the reason the story is so popular.

And then Silverberg brings us to the new world, and spends a hund
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The original short story Nightfall is brilliant and deserves five stars. This novel, based on that short story, only gets 2 stars. It was bloated and forgettable. Don't bother with it unless you're an Asimov completist. If you've never read the short story, you need to go find it. It's in a lot of SF collections and should be readily available.
Janne Järvinen
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Nightfall isn't that bad. The plot advances at a nice pace. It all breaks down in the end, though. At points I was close to giving Nightfall three stars. The bad delivery of the ending, and the overall pulpiness of the story, are what drop the rating.

The story is fun, but has a full time job holding itself together just on the surface level. This leaves no room for any depth.

The final resolution of the story is not that bad in itself, but the way it is told is anti-climactic. Some people say the
Julio Genao
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
been a long time, esse.

i see you, central park east secondary school library reading nook circa 1991.

i see you.
James
An amazing short story, rewritten as a novel by popular demand. Or maybe just Asimov's determination to keep 'improving' perfectly good work. Sadly, this is exactly the same short story as the original Nightfall, just with more words to slow it down a bit and the 'assistance' of another author who isn't Asimov anyway...
Laura Dam
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ciencia ficción con trasfondo filosófico: ¿Qué sucedería si de repente, la civilización presencia un evento inexplicable que la llena de terror?
Sarah Mazza
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nightfall contained three parts; Twilight, Nightfall and Daybreak, therefore I feel compelled to rate and review them separately.

Whilst at first it took a small while for me to slowly warm up to the slow paced narrative that was Twilight, about halfway through I was completely engaged. The build up was amazing. The science used to back up the storyline was fascinating and highly believable. I would give Twilight a rating of 4/5.

Nightfall was fast paced, incredible, addictive and thrilling. It ha
Brienna
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The people of Kalgash, although aliens, are very human in nature, so I liked the approach of a sci-fi story to address the issue of how we humans respond to change, especially abrupt change in daily things whose stability we take for granted.

Kalgashians live in a world where darkness is unnatural, where there is always light, the light of many suns. They are so used to light that they cannot imagine life without it. I chuckled when I read this passage in which a Kalgash astronomer discusses the
Andre T
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I was and still am a big Isaac Asimov fan, both of his fiction and his non-fiction. I was in particular a big fan of his short stories and I loved the original short story version of Nightfall, however when I read the long extended version that was made into a book, I wasn't as thrilled.

I was, however, only 8-years-old, when I read the book version, but I still remember thinking this is too long, too wordy and that Isaac Asimov is right in the assessment that Golden Age science fiction writers w
iffi
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Много увлекателна история за планета, която е огряна денонощно от няколко слънца и на която веднъж на 2000 години се случва катаклизъм (слънчевата светлина изчезва и се появяват Звездите), което кара всички жители буквално да полудеят.
Чудесно описан е сблъсъкът на фанатизма и лудостта с науката.
Книгата е разширение на разказа "Падането на нощта", който си струва да се прочете преди това.
LemonLinda
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a creative story of science fiction! The planet, Lagash, with 6 suns and constant daylight, is plunged into darkness. Scientists have determined this happens every 2049 years and thus due to the near total madness of its inhabitants, scientists think society for the most part is obliterated and has to begin again. No one is prepared for what is to come with true nightfall. A classic much talked of short story.
Andrew Orange
May 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Doubts and nightmare of an atheist.
The original short story is better than the novel written by R. Silverberg.
Sean Randall
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting theory here, but I preferred the short story version which actually got to the point a little quicker.
Jacquie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Richard
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of sci-fi and non-fiction space stories alike
Shelves: classic-sci-fi
One of Asimov's greatest works. Written in his dry, pre-WWII classic American sci-fi style, very matter-of-fact and reverent of science. Brings excellent ideas of how a different society would be in a different solar system, and the psychology of beings living on a world where night never comes. Asimov gradually introduces his ideas to us through his character's scientific processes. He also writes the end of a world very well, how society may very well break apart when the sanity of humanity is ...more
Ash
I just read the novella written by Isaac Asimov (not the full length novel which expanded this story later). I am not so interested in reading a book which was written by another author based on this story or maybe I will read it someday. But reading this story made me realize why Asimov is my favorite sci-fi author. Nobody can write science fiction like him. No other author can describe something so brilliantly. (At least for me)
This story is about a planet which has six suns so there is no tim
Isa-janis
Es una historia que funciona mejor como relato que como libro. La verdad es que aunque no deja de ser una premisa interesante, Silverberg no consigue aportar nada nuevo a la historia creada por Asimov.
Amir Ataei
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اگه علمی تخیلی باز هستید حتما این داستان باعث تنفس تازه براتون خواهد شد . محشر بود از نظر من
Karen
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a review of the short story alone, since I can't seem to find a page dedicated to it.
Imagine living in a world of perpetual daylight, thanks to the six suns surrounding your planet. Now imagine each sun setting, leaving only a single one in the sky, and at such a distance, it can be blocked by an almost invisible planet - creating what is essentially a world-wide eclipse that will plunge civilization into darkness for one whole night. It is an event that only comes every 2000-something y
KB
Nightfall begins with a promising premise, but the overall narrative suffers fatally from inconsistent and implausible internal logic. Beyond the intriguing world-building segment at its onset, the novel becomes unremittingly bleak and stagnant.

The story's framework relies upon an indispensable notion that an entire planet's human population harbors a critical psychological vulnerability to any exposure to darkness; however, it is never sufficiently explained how this problem could be compatible
Keith
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Reread this after many years. The original short story by Asimov stayed with me for a long time as one of the most thought provoking scenarios that had been presented to me. For the first time the idea that sentient beings could be so radically different from us sank home (I was young and foolish). This was an important lesson that many writers of science fiction and fantasy could do with learning.
I read the expanded version when it was releeased and felt oddly dissatisfied with it. Some of the
Brenda (aka Gamma)
I consider the original 1941 story to be one of the best, but this almost makes it seem ridiculous. Instead of carefully crafted reveals, we get lots of details repeated so that by the time Nightfall comes I'm tired of hearing about it. Worse, by that time the story's been so diluted that something I thought was one key aspect of the original is completely lost.

Okay, that was my rant and I know it sounds like I hated this, but I didn't. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the original, but
Clackamas
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Clackamas by: Found it at the bus stop
***Upgraded this book to an all time love. I keep rereading it and love it every time. Originally read 10/1994. Reread every year or so since then***

I love this kind of book. It introduces us to a world and characters before the disaster, follows them through it, and shows us the aftermath. It's very character-driven. It's surprising to read a book with so many characters that are being followed, and yet have them all fleshed out and three-dimensional so that you can actually care about them.
Lara Ramos
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Meu primeiro Asimov vem em forma de um cenário pós-apocalíptico onde a noite surge pela primeira vez em milênios e, fácil de imaginar, pega todo mundo de surpresa (pra dizer o mínimo). Vários personagens se cruzam durante a história para a montagem do grande 'boom' do livro de um modo tão bem feito que deu gosto de ler - porém não posso dizer que minha empolgação não tenha a ver com meu trauma de certa trilogia que tinha acabado de ler e que fez exatamente o contrário disso.

Continua aí a torcida
Daniel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Early on I thought this was a 5 star story but it definitely faded for me in the last parts. I really enjoyed some of the science vs religion stuff.

• Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury (Lucky Starr, #4)
  • The Songs of Distant Earth
  • Inferno (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #2)
  • Time Enough for Love
  • Time Patrol (Time Patrol #1-4 + 6 omnibus)

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o
“Life would be impossible on such a planet. It wouldn't get enough heat and light, and if it rotated there would be total darkness half of every day. There wouldn't be any native inhabitants. You couldn't expect life---which is fundamentally dependent on light---to develop under such extreme conditions of light deprivation. Half of every axial rotation spent in Darkness! No, nothing could exist under conditions like that.” 21 likes
“It was a long time since he'd done any actual clinical work, and obviously his sojourn among the academics at Saro University had attenuated the professional detachment that allows members of the healing arts to confront the ill without being overwhelmed by compassion and sorrow. He was surprised at that, how tenderhearted he seemed to have become, how thin-skinned.” 7 likes