Start by marking “The Martian” as Want to Read:

(The Martian #1)

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  674,009 ratings  ·  67,901 reviews
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he’s sure he’ll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplie
Hardcover, US / CAN Edition, 369 pages
Published February 11th 2014 by Crown (first published September 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Martian, please sign up.
Josh Check out the talk Weir gave at Google here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMfuL....

In it, he mentions that he didn't have any contact with NASA…more

In it, he mentions that he didn't have any contact with NASA until after publication, and that basically everything (math, science, etc.) he checked himself. He shows off a program he wrote to compute the orbital dynamics simulations in the talk. The major inaccuracy (of which there were few!) he pointed out was that the storm which set the whole plot in motion wouldn't actually have done much to push objects around (the atmosphere on Mars is really thin). Apparently he's just a space history/science enthusiast who did all the research into NASA history himself!(less)
Catherine Chant My 14 year old son and I listened to the audiobook version together and LOVED it. There is swearing, but it didn't feel gratuitous or pervasive. And…moreMy 14 year old son and I listened to the audiobook version together and LOVED it. There is swearing, but it didn't feel gratuitous or pervasive. And mostly it just made us laugh at the character's outburst. (less)

·  674,009 ratings  ·  67,901 reviews

Will Byrnes
I’m pretty much fucked.
Ok, show of hands. How many of you have uttered these exact words? (or words to that effect). Not everyone? I see we have some liars out there. How many have said them at least twice? Three times? Four? Those with hands still up, you probably need to make some adjustments to your approach, find a safer line of work, hobbies that do not entail long drops, stop trying the weekly specials at McBlowfish, or seek out people to date who are into less extreme…um…sports. These a
Davy-Gravy
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unpopular opinion time: I don't like how this book is written. Watney's journals read like a nerdy blog rather than a dramatic survivor's diary. It's hard to find something harrowing and traumatic when the protagonist is saying "yay!" a lot and making incessant corny puns. "3.6 pirate-ninjas!" "Yay oxygen!" "Lol gay probe lol!!!!!1!" "Bad rover, no Scooby snack!!!111!" "LOL craaaaaaap!!1!" For me, those aren't funny, they're almost embarrassing.

No matter what horrible thing is happening to Watne
Emily May
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2015
First off, welcome to 2015!

Let's kick this year off with a review of a book about a guy who deserves to survive more than anyone I've ever known. This book has been lurking around in my Goodreads feed, gaining hype, and all the positive reviews from my friends eventually got too much for me - so I had to check this out for myself. I'm glad I gave in.

The Martian has so many good things going for it. First and foremost, it is a classic tale of survival against very huge odds. In this book, Mark Wa
Althea Ann
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
'Crap! My astronaut crewmates accidentally left me behind on Mars! I'm fucked! I'm going to die! Oh wait! I just thought of something highly logically unlikely and technically complicated, that I am sure to pull off without a hitch, because did I mention that I am Plucky and Ingenious? It sure is a good thing that I am super-talented! Yay! That worked! I'm not dead! [Next chapter] But wait! Disaster has struck! Shit happens, when you're stuck alone on Mars. Whatever shall I do? OMG, I just had a ...more
Rick Riordan
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adult science thriller.

Love it, love it! A meticulously researched, briskly paced and surprisingly funny story about an astronaut left behind on Mars, presumed dead, who must now figure out how to survive and let the folks back on Earth know he is alive and needs rescue. This is hard-science science fiction. Parts of it read like really complicated (but amusing) word problems, juggling mass and time and weight, etc. But all of that adds to the realism. You can tell Andy Weir loves his space exp
Wil Wheaton
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I have never wanted so badly for the characters in a book to be real. I want to meet them all the way I want to meet the president, or Taylor Swift.

This story is perfectly told. It is perfectly paced, it is brilliantly written, it is beautifully crafted.

Andy Weir does this incredible thing where he make the reader feel the isolation that Mark Wagner feels, and he does it so subtly, we don't even realize that he's doing it until it's done.

The Martian completely captivated me. I couldn't wait to f
Sasha Alsberg
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I go so emotional at the end, so good!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm so happy that I randomly decided to pick this book up! I did find that the story dragged a bit towards the end and some of things went over my head a little bit, but for the most part this was a fantastic read!
Jeffrey Keeten
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
karen
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
i have finally seen the movie, so i added some notes at the bottom.

this book is basically just a really long SAT question. and i so hope the movie is just matt damon sitting at a table doing equations for two and a half hours.

oh but first, as promised, here are the photos of me being an astronaut this past weekend.

photo IMG_9830_zpsno56bdrb.jpg

zooooom!

photo IMG_9836_zpsmff8ijns.jpg

i am orbiting the eeeeeeaaaarttthh!!

photo IMG_9837_zps9wyqsesw.jpg

i did a really good job at astronauting and i didn't need to do math even once! (although i started experiencing cramped space-madness
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is by far my favorite (and most listened to!) audiobook.

If you're still thinking about reading it, just do it.

If you're in a slump, just do it.

If you've seen the movie and aren't sure if it's still worth the read, just do it.

You won't regret it!

Stepheny
Thank god that's over.

Everyone has been talking about The Martian. And I literally mean everyone. Since the moment I saw the cover and the raving reviews I knew I had to pick it up. There’s a reason people are talking about this book.

I just don’t fucking get it.

I think I am the only person on GR to give this pile a one star rating. I’m ok with that. This is a classic case of- it’s not you, it’s me.

I wanted desperately to fit in with the Goodreads community and love the shit out of this book a
Raeleen Lemay
*4.5*

Well, that was a journey.

I started this book in March, and put it down with no intentions of ever picking it back up. Skip forward to early October when I saw the movie (twice), and then immediately went out and bought another copy of the book (yeah, I was so sure last time that I gave it away. YEAH). FINALLY, I read the book. And it was awesome.

I had to dock a half star for the tiny reason that originally caused me to DNF the book: the writing can be a bit irritating. Don't misunderstand
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I’m stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Hermes or Earth. Everyone thinks I’m dead. I’m in a Hab designed to last 31 days.

If the Oxygenator breaks down, I’ll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death.

So yeah. I’m fucked.
If you think about it, Robinson Crusoe is kind of a whiny pussy, I say, while sitting in my plush computer
Nataliya
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads, favorites
Sometimes I'm lucky enough to come across a book that makes me go all Whee-heeee! with the sincerest glee rivaling that of over-sugared-up kids about to open Christmas gifts.
“I can't wait till I have grandchildren. “When I was younger, I had to walk to the rim of a crater. Uphill! In an EVA suit! On Mars, ya little shit! Ya hear me? Mars!”
A book that makes me willingly turn my chronically sleep-deprived state into the acutely sleep-deprived one as I battle somnolence at 4 a.m. so that I can re
Beverley
If The Martian isn't a million dollar blockbuster in the next 5 years, Hollywood have missed a treat. I read the entire thing in one sitting, making it probably the best way to pass 8 hours that I can think of. Maybe it helps that I came to the book with no expectations, except the hope that I might get my next 'fix' for my inner space geek.

Well, what a fix! The story is a fast-paced, compelling adventure across Mars and offered everything I wanted and more. I was behind Mark Watney the whole w
Navessa
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If The Martian was marketed as a prescription drug…

Every year, thousands of critical readers around the globe roll their eyes in frustration at the science fails they find within their favorite fiction genres.

Extreme cases of literary frankenscience carry the risk of full-blown ocular gymnastics on the part of the reader. As a result, serious injury has been reported, to include corneal abrasions, iritis, and sprains of the lateral and medial rectus muscles.

Luckily, there is a cure.

Alejandro
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Mission Control to Reviewer One...

Reviewer One, here. Go ahead, Mission Control...

Lift off minus fifteen. Final Systems Check...

Roger, Mission Control...

Characters... Go...

Story... Go...

Style... Go...

Overall Reading Experience... Go...

Roger, Reviewer One. All Systems are Go. Iniating Countdown.

Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two!...

One! Lift off! We have a lift off!...

Welcome to CNN's Reviewer One Report. Presented to you thanks to the sponsorship of "The Martian"'s Quotes...

Carmen
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Engineers
How can I say this to you? This is one of the most boring books I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

I was really looking forward to reading this book. Everyone was so enthusiastic about it. I was saving it for myself as a little treat.

By page 27 I knew I was in trouble.

Here's the book:

LOG ENTRY:
I'm fucked.

Oh, wait! I have an idea!

Science, science science. Then if I science science science, science.

Great! [Insert lame joke here].

Now imagine this repeating 1,000 times.

Watney's stranded on Mar
Thomas
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
How many exclamation points can you shove into one book?

Time to start off 2015 with an unpopular opinion: I did not like how Andy Weir wrote The Martian. He writes science well, and his background in research and technical prose shows, but by page 100 the style of the book got repetitive. Watney discovers a problem. Watney worries for a sentence or two. Watney comes up with a solution. Watney enacts the solution with minimal struggle. Watney celebrates. Rinse and repeat.

I also have no idea how W
Anne
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2015
Has anyone not heard of this book yet?
I see one hand up there towards the back! You! Yes, the one next to the potted fern.
Ok. Well, then this review is for you. Everyone else, feel free to hit the buffet!
Pile your plate high! I've been trying to get rid of that seafood salad for a few days...

Does The Martian really need one more glowing review?
No. No, it does not.
But I'm going to do it anyway. Because even though I'm the last person on the planet to read this one, I still feel the need to put
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars This book is nothing short of spectacular. It is insanely well-researched, and it's impossible not to be charmed by Mark Watney's hilarious sense of humor, or jeez-MY-brain-is-filled-with-absolutely-useless-information-impressed by his smarts, ingenuity, and spirit.

I will say that after a few chapters, I started skimming some of the more technical parts of what he was doing to survive. I normally love this stuff, and certainly I absolutely DID enjoy much of what was here and sincerely
jessica
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
in honour and respect of the recent news that NASA rover, opportunity, has been officially declared dead after 14 years of being on mars, i finally wrote a review for this book. too soon? lol.

i actually really enjoyed this story, a lot more than i thought i would. i was convinced the hype was going to be misleading, but i was so pleased to find out it wasnt.

knowing absolutely nothing about planetary science, physics or botany, i have no idea if this story is plausible, or even accurate in the
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Shelves: favorites, read-2014
Mark Watney. I just can't even tell you how much I love this character. I think he may just be on the list of my favorite male characters ever. The dude is stranded on Mars..with no one. Does he cry? Well, only sometimes. Does he fight against the planet from hell? Heck yes!

Everywhere I go, I'm the first. Step outside the rover? First guy to every be there! Climb a hill? First guy to climb that hill! Kick a rock? That rock hadn't moved in a million years!

I did get lost in some of the science o
Julio Genao
dan brown syndrome.

description

which is to say, this guy has a knack for a compelling idea, but his writing is...

hoo, boy.

just... brutal.

no soul.

no poetry.

all the verve of a dead body.

or a software engineer...

description

just kidding, my gorgeous software-engineer-buddies: i was teasing the author, who is one of you, not you in particular or, y'know, in general, please don't hex my laptop because you are my everything, all i want for christmas is you, i can't live if living is without you.

*winsome smile*

but yeah, i'
Trudi

This whole book left me stupid happy and deliriously impressed and I spent most of my time declaring:

Jesse would have loved Mark Watney. I love Mark Watney. He's super smart but not just in a poindexter nerd alert bookish kind of way. Watney's got some serious problem solving skills; he's McGyver in a space suit. Give this guy a toothpick, some tinfoil and a ziplock bag and he'll build you an airplane. But don't forget the duct tape. Duct tape is awesome and I will be putting in a suppl
Mohammed Arabey
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هي ليست رواية قدر ماهي معايشة مع 'مهووس علوم' منعزل...في المريخ
لتعيش مع مارك ويتني جحيم..سلسلة من سوء الحظ والإخفاقات التي تلي كل محاولة بائسة-وعبقرية بنفس الوقت- للعيش في المريخ والنجاة من موت محقق
وبرغم أنها قصة نجاة، إلا إنك قد تتعجب، هل كان مارك ويتني 'شمال'؟

انه ذلك الشعور بأن كل محاولاته الذكية دوما تنتهي بسوء الحظ وفشل محقق..كأن المريخ يحارب فكرة ان يعيش بشري عليه

هنا الرواية بها شرح واف للنظريات العلمية في مجالات كثيرة من الفضاء ورحلات الفضائية..بل والزراعة أيضا، وبالتأكيد سيكون كذلك بالفيل
Henry Avila
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You are an astronaut, the immensely able, Mark Watney, with a great, glamorous job, until stranded through a freak accident, on the desolate, airless, extremely cold, red deserts of Mars, in the mid 2030's, a powerful dust storm has apparently , killed...the five others in the crew, ( originally four men and two women, including the commander, Melissa Lewis) they barely escape , themselves, with their lives, up into orbit, in a small spacecraft, rejoining the massive, very expensive, Hermes vess ...more
Luffy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mark Watney is stranded on Mars in the near future. If that makes sense. You all should be familiar with the story by now. Mark's crew thinks he's dead. But though he loses consciousness, he evaulates his chances when he revives.

The book is quite funny. It's also quirky. I know that the author didn't send his manuscript of The Martian to publishers and did not have to deal with rejection like 99% of the writers do. He got incredibly lucky, just as his character Mark did.

I had to set a lot of my
Steph Sinclair
There isn't anything inherently wrong with The Martian, but, look, that was a lot of fucking math.

When I was a kid still in the "oh god what will I do as a career when I'm a grownup?!" phase, I had the brilliant idea that maybe I'd be a mathematician. The Martian has just reminded me why that was a shitty idea. I love sci-fi and I'm super fascinated with space, but yeah, this one didn't particularly spark anything in me. It didn't leave me hungering for the next page. It was just another audiobo
Mitlesezentrale: Der Marsianer ♻️ Buddy-Read 23 33 1 hour, 6 min ago
2019 SQHS Your Li...: The Martian - Andy Weir 14 14 12 hours, 53 min ago
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Martian by Andy Weir - Restarting March 25th 2019 145 299 Apr 03, 2019 01:28PM
UPEP Reading Group : Week 5: Survival Fiction 1 2 Apr 01, 2019 10:50AM
Hear Me Out! Audi...: June 2019: The Martian 1 1 Mar 26, 2019 01:14PM
The Book Was Better: THE MARTIAN 14 112 Mar 20, 2019 06:47AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome (Lock In, #0.5)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • 14
  • Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
  • All These Worlds (Bobiverse, #3)
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)
  • Influx
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more
“Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.” 1867 likes
“He’s stuck out there. He thinks he’s totally alone and that we all gave up on him. What kind of effect does that have on a man’s psychology?” He turned back to Venkat. “I wonder what he’s thinking right now.”

LOG ENTRY: SOL 61 How come Aquaman can control whales? They’re mammals! Makes no sense.”
1387 likes