Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Leprechaun Event RaT: Read-a-Thon Daily Recommendations: Day 1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 11, 2016 05:01AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30807 comments Mod

Recommendations FAQ -
Through this read-a-thon, we're going to recommend books in the hopes of putting a ton more books on our TBR! With recommendations ~
╰⊰✿ Recommendations Thread for Recommendations ONLY! Separate threads will be for Chat/Interactions and so on. Please only make your Recommendations, and nothing else, in the Recommendations Thread!
╰⊰✿ Try to recommend something not extremely popular (no Harry Potter!) We want to get new books and with extremely big series/books, people already know about them. Give us something new to want!
╰⊰✿ REMEMBER: Our group is an ALL AGES group. Please no recommendations of a mature nature. Gore and violence is ok (it's in Hunger Games after all) but nothing too over the top and no erotica please. (Members of the Back Room may make recommendations there, be on the lookout for a mini Back Room version of this read-a-thon!)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 11, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Daily Recommendations ONLY. No other chatter, please!

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 11, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

**Recommendations**

Recommend ~
1 favorite author (just one) & 1 favorite book (just one)

Different ones please! (Not favorite author and a favorite book by the same author.)
Leprechaun Bonus (1 Coin) ~ Recommend a favorite with a Red Cover.
The Just One means that the red book MUST be that one for the bonus.

Day 1 : Daily Questions
Day 1 : Daily Tasks

message 6: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) **Recommendations**

Author: Matthew Reilly Matthew Reilly

Book: The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter, #1) by Chris Carter The Crucifix Killer

message 7: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 785 comments Author: Pat Conroy Pat Conroy

Book: The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1) by Daniel Silva The Kill Artist

message 8: by Emily (last edited Mar 11, 2016 06:14AM) (new)

Emily | 440 comments Recommendations

Author: Mary Roach Mary Roach

Book: Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4) by Stephen King Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower #4) by Stephen King
Yes, I am "that person" who recommends a book halfway through a series, but it's my favorite book in one of my favorite series and it's red.

message 9: by Cait S (last edited Mar 11, 2016 06:19AM) (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Author: Joe Hill Joe Hill

Book: Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier

message 10: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Mar 11, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Author: Craig Johnson Craig Johnson

Book: The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2) by Amanda Stevens The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2)
The whole series is awesome, but this book is particularly good.

message 11: by Sonia (last edited Mar 11, 2016 07:15AM) (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10130 comments Author: Ilona Andrews Ilona Andrews
Book: Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead - actually it's one of my favorite series, since the very favorite one is against the rules :)

message 12: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 11, 2016 08:31AM) (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments 1 Author: Alan Bradley

Book: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3658 comments Author: Lois McMaster Bujold

Book: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

message 14: by Jen (last edited Mar 11, 2016 09:09AM) (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments My favorite author is Jayne Ann Krentz Jayne Ann Krentz, who also currently writes under the names of Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle. :-)

My favorite book is arguably Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie. I probably read it on average once a year, at least! :-)

For the Leprechaun Bonus (1 Coin), a Red-Covered Favorite book is Dance of the Gods (Circle Trilogy, #2) by Nora Roberts Dance of the Gods by Nora Roberts. It's been awhile since I last read it, but I really love Nora Roberts' books. If you're interested in reading Dance of the Gods, I recommend you read the whole trilogy and start with book one, Morrigan's Cross. :-)

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  | 194 comments I find these categories so hard! I have a really hard time narrowing down my favorites for anything but color (candy-apple red). I will give it a shot anyhow.

Favorite Author: Margaret George- Margaret George She writes really great historical fiction that makes you feel like you were there. Good stuff.

Favorite Book: Ender's Game- Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) by Orson Scott Card by Orson Scott Card. I could not stop reading this book when I started it. It is heartwarming and devastating in all the right ways. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Book with a Red Cover: The Red Tent The Red Tent by Anita Diamant by Anita Diamant. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. This is the book that convinced me that I need to give the Old Testament another look. It is beautiful and amazing and everything a book should be. Read it.

message 16: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Favorite Author (of the week): Darynda Jones

Favorite Book: His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

message 17: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Tsk tsk tsk! I'll let those two slip by, but no more!

Recommendations is for ONE book. The Leprechaun Bonus is if THAT one book is Red.

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Tsk tsk tsk! I'll let those two slip by, but no more!

Recommendations is for ONE book. The Leprechaun Bonus is if THAT one book is Red."

Oh. It didn't say that, so I wasn't sure. That's why I put two books. ;-) Thanks for counting it! :-)

message 19: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman Neal Shusterman

Favorite Book: Genesis by Bernard Beckett Genesis

message 20: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 3342 comments Mod
Favourite author: Ben Aaronovitch

Favourite Book: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (In doing this I've just found out there is a second book out by this author - little happy dance going on!)

message 21: by Melissa (last edited Mar 11, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Melissa | 2623 comments One of my new favorite books (with a red cover) is The Magician's Lie 5 star - amazing! The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister

I have so many favorite authors but one of them is Jessica Shirvington

message 22: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments Favorite Author: Eileen Wilks Eileen Wilks - World of the Lupi series is one of my favorites!!

Favorite Book: hoping this is 'red' enough :) Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2623 comments Barbara ★ wrote: "Favorite Author (of the week): Darynda Jones

Favorite Book: His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik"

I have wanted to read His Majesty's Dragon since I read Uprooted by Naomi Novik but my library doesn't have it!

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2623 comments Jen wrote: "My favorite author is Jayne Ann Krentz Jayne Ann Krentz, who also currently writes under the names of Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle. :-..."

One of my absolute favorite Nora Roberts trilogies!!!!

message 25: by Stacie (last edited Mar 11, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Stacie  (cowmingo) | 4703 comments Author: Nora Roberts Nora Roberts Even though she's a total b**ch, I still love her work.

Favorite red book: Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes

Favorite book: Notorious RBG The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon I have so many but this one is the best I've read lately, 5 wonderful stars.

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Melissa wrote: "One of my absolute favorite Nora Roberts trilogies!!!! "

I'm actually planning to reread it just as soon as I can tear myself away from the computer. Recommending it made me wish I could read it again. So I'm going to. :-)

message 27: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Cait wrote: "Author: Joe Hill Joe Hill

Book: Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier
."

I loved the Daughter of the Forest! Did you read the two books that follow it?

message 28: by Molly (last edited Mar 11, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Favorite Author: Shirley Jackson

Favorite Book that is red: The Man in the High Castle The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

message 29: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 2218 comments Favorite Author: Karel Čapek
Favorite Book (with red cover): Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz

message 30: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 937 comments Favorite Author: Richard Dawkins Richard Dawkins

Favorite Red book (this year at least!): Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1) by Mark Lawrence Prince of Fools

message 31: by Angie ☯ (last edited Mar 11, 2016 02:30PM) (new)

Angie ☯ | 992 comments Favorite Author: Steven James Steven James - He is also a local author; lives in my town!

Favorite book (with red cover): 11/22/63 by Stephen King 11/22/63

message 32: by Samantha (last edited Mar 11, 2016 03:11PM) (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Gah! Only one?! That's like asking me to split my metaphorical child in half DX If I had to pick....

Favorite Author: Stephen King Stephen King

Favorite book (with red cover): The Redbreast (Harry Hole) by Jo Nesbø The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø

message 33: by JoLene (last edited Mar 11, 2016 03:40PM) (new)

message 34: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Mar 11, 2016 04:48PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Favorite author Nora Roberts Nora Roberts

Favorite book Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Changes by Jim Butcher

message 35: by Eni (new)

Eni | 1992 comments Favorite Author: i have a few. But if i have to chose only one it would be Stephen King Stephen King (*high 5 Samantha!*)

Favorite book: Oh boy that's even worse than choosing only one author. I have a lot of favorite books. But i had to choose one with a red cover so i picked You Slay Me You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1) by Katie MacAlister by Katie MacAlister. I know it's somewhat popular but i LOVE Aisling.

message 36: by Indiwyn (last edited Mar 11, 2016 08:17PM) (new)

Indiwyn | 10 comments Favorite author: Terry Pratchett Sir Terry Pratchett, RIP

Favorite books: Blood Roses by Francesca Lia Block Blood Roses by Francesca Lia Block

message 37: by Jo-Jo (last edited Mar 11, 2016 08:46PM) (new)

Jo-Jo | 686 comments A favorite author: Jeaniene Frost

A favorite(RED) book: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

message 38: by Joi (last edited Mar 11, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Joi | 663 comments Favorite Author: Alex Kava Alex Kava
Favorite Book: Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

message 39: by MorpheusZzz (last edited Mar 11, 2016 10:54PM) (new)

MorpheusZzz | 129 comments My favorite book with a RED cover:
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

Favorite author? Linda Howard

message 40: by Lauri (new)

Lauri Saplad (otwlauri) | 1207 comments My favorite author is Jean Auel. I love her Earth's Children series!

Favorite book One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich I'm making my way through the whole Stephanie Plum series. She is hysterical...

message 41: by Kay Kay (last edited Mar 12, 2016 02:33AM) (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments My favorite Author changes so how about:
Sharon Kay Penman

Favorite Book:
Holy Bible-NIV Holy Bible-NIV by Zondervan Bibles

message 42: by Imagination (new)

Imagination Meg (imaginationmeg) | 60 comments My favorite author will always be J K Rowling - I love the way she wrote the books, the fact that she wouldn't let the movies be changed too much, and the fact that she wrote books that fans would eat up and buy a ton of then put the proceeds to charity!

My most recent favorite book is Cruel Beauty Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe #1) by Rosamund Hodge .

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments @Eni It's great to know another Stephen King fan! I have the entire bottom shelf dedicated to him because it has the most space :)

message 44: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 9635 comments Mod
Favourite author (one of them): Sarah J. Maas Sarah J. Maas

Favourite book: Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

message 45: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1087 comments Favourite author (one of them): Janet Evanovich

Favourite book: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 46: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 698 comments author: Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #16) by Joanne Fluke
book: The Phantom Of The Opera by Gaston Leroux

message 47: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Megan, make sure you are checking the requirements for the coins. I'll take the separate red book this time because others did it as well, but in the others, the requirements to get the coins usually include the book as one of the ones posted. So, the red book would have had to have been the favorite book. I left you a message about it in the Q&A.

message 48: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) No worries, I wasn't clear enough first day, until I edited it. :) I was clearer on the next days. Didn't wanna make it toooo easy! :D

Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫ (lindsaysingerofstories) | 597 comments I'm backtracking through this Read-a-Thon because it seems like fun and I'm now done with finals and am on spring break!!

A favorite author: Sarah Addison Allen

A favorite (red) book: Skipping Christmas by John Grisham ... I just discovered this book last Christmas. It's the book "Christmas with the Kranks" was based off of...it was a delightful read that I now plan to read each year! =]

message 50: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 783 comments Favorite author Maria V. Snyder
Favorite red book Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas