Start by marking “Can You Keep a Secret?” as Want to Read:
Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret?

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  338,752 ratings  ·  10,919 reviews
This is an alternate cover edition for ISBN 0552150827/9780552150828.

Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets.

Secrets from her mother:
1. I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur.

...From her boyfriend:
2. I'm a size twelve. Not a size eight, like Connor thinks.
3. I've always though
Published 2003 by Black Swan (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Can You Keep a Secret?, please sign up.
Tommy Lynch You obviously are much too old for this book -- at the age of 12 one should already be well-read in Dostoevsky as well as the at least three works of…moreYou obviously are much too old for this book -- at the age of 12 one should already be well-read in Dostoevsky as well as the at least three works of the Classical Philosophers (Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Pythagoras, et al.) as well as a minimum of 2 Modernist works suck of thos of Descartes, Newton, and Galileo, as well as one of the Empiricists Lock, Boyle, a political work of Voltaire. This being two years after the original question, you should be well on your way through Nietzsche, Camus, and Sartre.(less)
Kimyan I was wondering the same thing after reading that they started the business in the 80's. I was thinking late 30's if not older. She didn't describe…moreI was wondering the same thing after reading that they started the business in the 80's. I was thinking late 30's if not older. She didn't describe him as having any grey so I didn't see him as 40 plus ..(less)

·  338,752 ratings  ·  10,919 reviews

maricar
don't read this in public..especially if you're by yourself...

this book has been on my wishlist for years (apparently it was earning rave reviews from readers online) and yet everytime i come across this at bookstores i'd tell myself to postpone buying it since it had many copies on shelf. i never even bothered leafing through it. but one day i just decided to actually read its back cover and see what all the hoopla's about.

and then i saw the line, " Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the
Stacia (the 2010 club)
So...I really wanted to dislike this book. I was determined not to allow myself to be one of "those girls." You know...the ones who plan ladies night out to watch Sex and the City. I've never had a desire to read Bridget Jones' Diary or The Devil Wears Prada (although I do hate to admit that I actually liked Devil as a movie) I mean, it's Chick Lit. Fluff without the smut. What fun is that?

Turns out, it's more fun than I was expecting. The book started out in such a way that I was expecting to g
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Feb 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: legally blondes
Recommended to Anzu by: all my friends. thank you guys so much!
Goal: Read a light book and laugh my ass off.

Result: Read a stupid book that made me want to cut it into little pieces.

Overall Goal: Happiness.

Overall Result: A sh*tty headache.

All my friends gave Can You Keep A Secret? a high score, all of them loved it, all of them asked me to read it.

So I did.

Yep. And I ended up having a headache. Literally. Mrs. Kinsella you owe me a pack of meds and a nice foot massage.

So why did all my friends love this book and I didn’t? I have no idea, to tell you the tr
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Alice
Two point five-ish stars ^^

Quirky, hilarious read about a 25 year old clumsy, silly, awkward Emma who is always caught in the most embarrassing situations and thinking she’s probably not yet embarrassed enough, spewed out every single one of her deepest, darkest most embarrassing secrets to a stranger on a plane when she thought they were going to die during a violent turbulence. The horrific result: strange man isn’t a stranger after all. LMAO!

While I wasn’t a fan of Emma (and of any other cha
Anne
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really 100% into Chick-Lit, but this is one of those books that I've seen pop up over and over again on all the Best Of lists over the years, and I've grown quite curious.

description

No, seriously. True story.

description

Anyway. I've been on the hunt for really funny fluff this past month and finally decided to pull the trigger on my first Sophia Kinsella book. Supposedly, this was a HI-LARIOUS rom-com, and I was in the market for exactly that.
However.
Sometimes what makes me smile doesn't match up with everyone
Zoë
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun and entertaining book! I laughed out loud multiple times and I also cringed several times because of how embarrassed I was for Emma.
My only problem with this book is that I felt like it could have been longer! It felt rushed at times and I wished there was more of an ending. I wanted to know how it all came together and like, for example, how Kerry was doing (terribly, I hope).
Nevertheless, I really enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to read more of her novels in the
Beverly
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this book is laugh out loud funny, like sitting in my cubicle at work just giggling to myself. In the days, I spent reading this one I told numerous people about it because I was just so excited and happy to find a book that made me actual loud out loud. Some of my best friends raved about this book during our girls weekend last year and I was repeatedly told, you have to read this!

Emma Corrigan is a typical girl, just like us or me at least. She is awkward, inappropriate and just trying to
may ❀

Gosh, this books was so much fun!!!

description

Often times when I’m told a book is funny, I usually find that it turns out being more painful to read than anything. But damn, is Sophie Kinsella hilarious!

Can You Keep a Secret follows the charismatic tale of Emma Corrigan. This woman is a hoot, let me tell you. She’s hilariously paranoid and completely outrageous. She is the “ordinary, nothing-special sort of girl” but oh, does she have her secrets.

Secrets that she probably shouldn’t have blurted out
Lola
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely overhyped, I think, but as always I find Sophie Kinsella's heroines charming and funny and her stories just really manage to uplift my mood.
Pang
“Can You Keep A Secret?” Are you serious?!!??!? NO! I’m gonna spill all your secrets to my friends, Emma. You cannot trust me on this! I’m a bitch, I know. hahaha

can2.jpg

1st secret: Guys.. this clumsy lady, Emma Corrigan is so damn lucky! She not that have much money, but she met an sweet-angel air-hostess so this sweetie air-hostess invite Emma to sit on the plane in Business class!!! She cheat!!! Without anyone else know! so she pretends to be businesswoman. See what she did!

BUT HAHAHAHAAAAAAA….

2rd se
Dija
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dija by: Kissa, Jasprit, Jessica, Madu, mrsj, and Aly.
Rating Breakdown:
Enjoyment - 5 stars
Story - 3 stars
Emma - 3.5 stars
Jack - 2 stars
Side characters - 5 stars
Ending - 2.5 stars

The average is 3.5 stars, but since enjoyment is my number one reason for reading in the first place, I'll round it up to 4 stars.

This book is, hands-down, the funniest book I've ever read. I laughed so hard, I had tears in my eyes and cramps in my tummy throughout. This book should come with a warning label, something like, Can You Keep a Secret?... AKA The Sole Cause of
Michelle
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever been on a plane ride through hell and you got so scared, you thought it was better to say what you have been dying to say all your life before you crash? I feel that way every time, honestly! Although I wouldn’t go into so much detail as Emma did in “Can You Keep A Secret?”

Once again Sophie Kinsella delivers a heroine that we want to cheer for and chastise at the same time! Emma is a lovable neurotic dreamer that I feel protective of. Spilling your deepest secrets, only to have the
Cecily
Jul 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first - and almost certainly last - foray into chick lit. Very shallow, contrived and implausible, albeit in a self-conscious ("ironic"?) way.

Although the "plot" may excuse the improbable co-incidences, there is no justification for the ludicrously artificial dialogue. I find all the "poor fluffy little me struggling to bluff it in the big bad grown up world" nauseating. Not as funny as it thinks because the humour, such as it is, is entirely reliant on very cliched stereotypes.

If it were w
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
I swear the moment I was done with this book...I was just so..soo..

SO DAMN FRUSTRATED

The ending seemed so...lacking? Disappointing? Hell !

Fr the first time,in my history of reading books.I actually ended up hating the hero Jack,(view spoiler) instead of the heroine,along with her cousin Kerry (who basically STOLE THE HEROINE'S ENTIRE CHILDHOOD) and her fashion/mommy obsessed roommate Jemima (who basically spent the whole b
Trina (Between Chapters)
This was SO enjoyable to me! It delivered on the premise. I felt like the meme of eating popcorn while reveling in the drama.

Cautions:
-The whole thing revolves around an entry level employee and the CEO of her company knowing inappropriate things about her. I didn't feel like this story used a power imbalance to manipulate a relationship or employment status, but if boss/employee relationships are a dealbreaker for you, heads up.
-A few chapters make a big hubbub about the MC having a romantic dr
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
This was really cute and funny! A great lighthearted read. Review to come!
Megs ♥
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megs ♥ by: Jasprit

First of all thank you, Jasprit, for insisting I read this one. A couple of days ago I was sick and in bed all day. I had just finished another book and was wondering which book to start next. I saw this on my Nook and remembered you said it's her best book. This book really made me feel better when I was under the weather.

Emma is 25 and has been through many jobs. She has had a job in marketing for over a year now, and although she does okay, she's not exactly moving up the corporate ladder. Sh
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

This was kind of fun but also kind of awful, as expected the heroine was an utter idiot and the plot was beyond silly, but I have to admit that there were some funny moments and the story despite being nonsensical was easy to get through and somewhat entertaining.

-Who the hell would reveal ALL their secrets to a total stranger? The heroine (Emma) blurted out every little detail of her life to some random guy sitting next to her just because the plane she was on was going thro
Sara
This book was hilarious. The basic idea is, imagine what would happen if in a moment of panic you were to spill all your darkest secrets to a perfect stranger and of course that stranger was extremely attractive and turned out to be a new big shot at your company, genius uh?
When Emma spills it all out it makes you want to cover your eyes with your hands and tell her:

The fun, as always with Kinsella standalone novels, is guaranteed and the romance is just witty and cute.
(view spoiler)
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

I have been a fan of Kinsella's since Finding Audrey. Naturally I went through all of her books and tried to decide which one to read. Can You Keep a Secret? stood out the most. I am happy to say that I loved it!

Emma has gone to represent her company Panther Cooperation in a meeting. As per Kinsella books the meeting turns into a disaster whilst Emma spilling a product on one of the other company's worker. Emma goes back in a bad mood a
Sophia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

"it was ok" is seriously such an accurate description of this book. good job, description-that-hovers-over-the-2-star-rating!

emma, our main character, is monumentally irritating. she compulsively lies about things that she shouldn't have to lie about, and is so horrendously unprofessional in her workplace, it's a wonder that she's maintained her job for as long as she has. and yet, somehow, she's an interesting and genuine person in the eyes of a multimillionaire. ok.

i think there's a
Natalie Monroe
Can You Keep a Secret is possibly my favorite Kinsella standalone.

It follows the story of Emma, an ordinary, slightly ditzy girl (think Anna from Anna and the French Kiss) who accidentally spills all her secrets to a stranger on the plane. And that stranger later turns out to be her boss.

In honor of this book—and because I absolutely suck at writing reviews for books I love, I am going to spill to you, strangers of the Internet, all of my secrets. Okay, not all, but five.

1. I used to be majorly
Anuradha

Alright, I've been reading romance novels off late. It's one of those phases. And this is one of my favourites. Did Emma get on my nerves by whining too much? Sure. Was Jack way, way out of her league? Sure. But thing is, this woman knows how to pen chick-lit. She gets you right in the feelers and doesn't let go until you're sucked dry.

Emma, who I'm sure suffers from some form of anxiety, spills all her secrets to the gorgeous American sitting next to her. What transpires next is a ser
Salma Mattar
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
a real funny and light novel, one of my favorite chic lits. this is my 3rd re read of this novel and it never fails to make me laugh :D
valee
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
Worst book I have read in a LONG, long time. Seriously, How could so many of you like this book? Now I remember why I hate chick-lit so much. After having read and adored Something Borrowed and Something Blue I thought I wasn't giving enough credit to this genre, I thought there were some good books on it out there. Because of this, I went to a list with the best chick-lit books and added them to my TBR pile. This is the first one I try and I completely abhorred it.

I found this read and most of
Muse-ic ♬
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Emma doesn't like airplanes.
In fact, she's terrified of them.

One day she's on a flight when the airplane hits turbulance.
Emma being Emma freaks out and begins to babble, thinking it was her last moment of life, she spilled all of her secrets to the stranger next to her.
Her darkest secrets.
Her deepest fears.
Her most intimate thoughts.

But it's not such a big deal, because she's never going to see him again, right??

LOL!!!

It was a fun book for the most part. There were times when I was annoyed with
Suzanne
Are all of Sophie Kinsella's books this formulaic? Every day gal, coming across a handsome, eligible, scrumptious boss? This installment we have Emma, working in marketing come across the CEO. Will it be a happy ever after, who knows?! Kooky flatmates, the tube, bitchy office workers, there's a bit of the usual here.

These suite the purpose though, as I always say. Easy reading to the extreme.
Paige  Bookdragon
What to say about this book?

I remember when my friends and I went to Cebu (another BIG island next to ours. Philippines is composed of of 7,107 islands..)

We went to a supermarket before going to our campsite to buy some basic stuffs.
One of my friends, Jeffrey was with me.(I don't know why he keeps on tagging along with me)

I know my period is just around the corner so I was looking for some tampons.

Now, tell me ladies. Can you buy a tampon with a straight face if one of your very male, very
Zain Otoom
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR WITH AKIRA! Bo this was fun!
I really liked this book! It was hilarious and Despite the second hand embarrassment it was very funny! Emma herself as a character is very flawed and might make you face-palm every other page or so, but nonetheless, she's very likeable.
I enjoyed the romance very much! Jack is a sweetheart.
The only thing that bothered me a bit is how every fucking time when shit seems to go smoothly a problem arises. And it's more annoying because you already know what kind of en
Shannon (leaninglights)
*full review to come*

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Queen of Babble, #3)
  • Playing James
  • The Nanny
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Bet Me
  • Stupid and Contagious
  • Sleeping Arrangements
  • The Finishing Touches
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • I Do (But I Don't) ( Crandell Sisters, #1)
  • A Girl Like You
  • Stately Pursuits
  • See Jane Date
Sophie Kinsella has sold over 40 million copies of her books in more than 60 countries, and she has been translated into over 40 languages.

Sophie Kinsella first hit the UK bestseller lists in September 2000 with her first novel in the Shopaholic series – The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic (also published as Confessions of a Shopaholic). The book’s heroine, Becky Bloomwood – a fun and feisty fin
“Relationships are all about trust and equality. If one person shares, then the other person should share, too.” 491 likes
“The truth is, some relationships are supposed to last forever, and some are only supposed to last a few days. That’s the way life is.” 348 likes