The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
Please post your general questions about the Winter 2013-2014 challenge here. Specific questions about individual tasks should be posted in the Help Threads for those tasks.

message 2: by Susan A (new)

Susan A How do you do a search for genre? Task 5.2 requires genre books about books and task 5.10 requires group book.

I know how to see if the genre is listed on the main of the books. For books about books, I tried Junk, which could be classified as such, but isn't.

When I go to the genre page https://www.goodreads.com/genres/romance I see how to switch to books about books, but this gives me a list of mostly recently tagged - -how do I get to a bigger group to choose from?

Question 2:
How does a book get on the list? These genres are populated by readers who have "tagged" the book I think. How do you tag books?

Thanks for your help.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Susan A wrote: "How do you do a search for genre? Task 5.2 requires genre books about books and task 5.10 requires group book.

I know how to see if the genre is listed on the main of the books. For books abo..."

It's easiest to answer your second question first. Genres listed for a book are completely crowd sourced, based on the number of people who shelved a book that way, and that's a personal choice of the person who read the book. I read The Kitchen House recently and after finishing, shelved it as read, historical fiction, book group books(b/c we read it in my library book group), src fall 2013 read, read in 2013.
So, my shelving get added to the total number for that shelf for that book.

GR isn't exactly transparent about what they're doing with the genres these days, but as far as I can figure out, at least 2 people have to shelve a book as a particular genre for it to be listed as a main page genre. Assuming that there are plenty of shelvings, the top 9 or so genres (based on number of people shelving the book that way) will show up on the main page. If you click below the list of genres, you'll see the complete listing of shelves on which the book has been placed. This can be huge if a book is widely read - for instance, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone shows 9 genres on its main page - but there are 344 pages of shelvings for the book. Shelves that don't have any connection to any genre - currently reading, books I own, etc. - don't get listed as genres.

Because of this, genres listed on the main page can frequently change. If the bottom genre on the main page, and the next genre that didn't make it to the main page are at all close in number, just a few more people shelving the book as the lower ranked genre can make them switch places - so now a new genre is on the main page and one that was previously there isn't any more.

I don't know of any way to search to see if a genre is on the main page for any particular book. It's more of a "guess and check" if you're trying to work it in that direction. One thing you can do is to look at that "recently tagged" page - scroll down and you'll find lists that pertain. If you find a book on one of the lists that you want to read, click on the book and see what the main page genres are. Just because a book is on a list or because you think a particular genre fits a book, doesn't mean that genre will make it to the main page - just depends on the numbers.

Some genres are going to be pretty easy - I'd be willing to bet that almost any book by Agatha Christie will have mystery listed as a main page genre! Beyond that, I usually just look at books I want to read and see what tasks they will fit, and I will frequently fit them into genre tasks first if the right genre is there. If there's nothing I know of initially that has the necessary genre, I'll look at various listopias and look for books I think sound interesting or that I'd like to read - then click on the book to make sure the genre is on the main page.

And, if I don't feel like doing that, I'll often just watch the completed task listing and/or the help thread and see what other people are reading for that task. I actually like that method a lot, because it leads me to books that I might never have run across otherwise.

message 4: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Susan A wrote: "How do you do a search for genre? Task 5.2 requires genre books about books and task 5.10 requires group book.

I know how to see if the genre is listed on the main of the books. For books abo..."

Susan, if you go down to the third group of titles on the genre page, you will see a green link which says "More Popular Books tagged as Genre X". When you click this link you will get a list like this: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/.... Not all of these books will have the genre on the main page, but it can give you a jumping off point.
Good luck!

message 5: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Thank you sandy and kate s.

Another question: how do you shelve a book? I know how to shelve books in my other group, mm romance, but there is no book about books shelf (I do know that i can't add the book I want to read. This is just a general how to question). Does each grp have separate shelving?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Books about books is a community thing - so if you or I or sandy have a shelf named that - any books we have shelved that way will be on the community genres list

message 7: by Sandy (last edited Nov 16, 2013 08:40AM) (new)

Susan A wrote: "Thank you sandy and kate s.

Another question: how do you shelve a book? I know how to shelve books in my other group, mm romance, but there is no book about books shelf (I do know that i can't..."

It has nothing to do with groups. You can set up any shelves you want, to keep track of your own books. Then, when you finish a book and mark it read, you can add it to any of your personal shelves and add new personal shelves if you want. For instance, I just added a new shelf for books I'm thinking of reading for the winter challenge. And, when the challenge actually starts, I'll add another new shelf for books read for the challenge.

Take a look at my profile - you'll see a huge list of shelves.

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Susan, sometimes you can do a listopia search for a genre...such as books about books.

message 9: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Ok. I get it now. In the mm group we have a community book shelf. That's what I thought this was. I don't make bookshelves on GR much. I just have basic to-read shelves and challenge shelves. I use my calibre library to tag books, and then I contribute to the communtiy shelves which we use for a lot of other challenges. Thanks for helping me understand.

message 10: by Susan A (new)

Susan A ANother question -- I think this no, but best to ask. In my mm group, we have a book of the month club, we vote on 4 books per month, read, discuss. They get shelved here, https://www.goodreads.com/group/books..., but as far as I can tell, not on personal shelves under the specific title book club. I see them on shelves called mm book club, and mm-BOM, and various other titles.

Can I ask the club members to start shelving them on a shelf called book club so that I can use on of the Dec, Jan or Feb books for the genre book club?

message 11: by Dee (last edited Nov 16, 2013 10:41AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments here's the current book club list - https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

and book group - https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

remember, the genre ones have to show on the first page of the book to be counted

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Dee wrote: "here's the current book club list - https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

and book group - https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

remember, the genre ones have to show on the fi..."

I'm pretty sure most of you don't realise what kind of group and genre mm romance is. =P

We have over 12 000 members and I think about couple hundred of those are really active and participating in the games and challenges. If one of us asks something, there are plenty of people to lend a helping hand.

The other thing is that even with 12 000 members mm romance is really a total minority genre. Books under 1 000 ratings (which was one of the task at Fall) are plentiful and most books have at least one genre on the main page with the minimum of 2 users. Circles are really small. =)

If the genre thing really works as straight forwardly as you said, we can make the difference. If this is allowed. =)

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Unmm since I'm a member of the group I'm pretty sure I know what it is....

Either way in order for a genre to showup ppl have to shelve books and the 2 links I posted are current books shelved that way

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Either way you are, IMHO, asking abt gaming the system by asking group members to create a shelf and put books on it

message 15: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments eh..... technically (per Task Requirement #3), you are not allowed to shelve - or add to any list - the book yourself, so asking an entire group to do it on your behalf is pretty much in the same spirit. but not my call...

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Dee wrote: "Either way you are, IMHO, asking abt gaming the system by asking group members to create a shelf and put books on it"

Ty wrote: "eh..... technically (per Task Requirement #3), you are not allowed to shelve - or add to any list - the book yourself, so asking an entire group to do it on your behalf is pretty much in the same s..."

You're right, Ty and Dee.

message 17: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Well I don't want to cheat. But unless I suggest that books be added that way, they never will be. Can I ask but just not use them fir the winter challenge? It would help other readers of this genre and if in the future the book club books comes up again, then it would help me.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Susan A wrote: "Well I don't want to cheat. But unless I suggest that books be added that way, they never will be. Can I ask but just not use them fir the winter challenge? It would help other readers of this g..."

well, it's fine to suggest to people that, in general, they should set up their own genre shelves and put books that fit the genre on those shelves after they read them. The "gaming the system" part comes when you start asking people to add specific books to shelves so that you can use them.

message 19: by Susan A (new)

Susan A I see what you are saying. I won't ask. I won't put my book club books there and I will pick from the list.

THanks for your help.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments we aren't saying you can't put book club books up there, but that it needs to be a natural way of shelving them and not because someone was asked...if you look at some of the books on the list, is because they are good IRL book club type books - like Gone Girl - both my local library used it as well as one of my GR groups - so seeing it on a book club shelf makes sense... (does that make sense)

message 21: by Susan A (new)

Susan A I think I'll just stay away from this. I don't want to circumvent things.

I don't know what "good IRL book club type books" means. I'm not a part of any other clubs and I don't usually read best seller type books...However, the lists you posted are huge which is both a good thing (lots to pick from) and a bad thing (too much to wade through) so I am sure I can find something I am willing to read.

THanks again.

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 414 comments I'm assuming that the Nancy Drew and Babysitters club books work for 5, 10, and 15 point tasks...?

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Valerie wrote: "I'm assuming that the Nancy Drew and Babysitters club books work for 5, 10, and 15 point tasks...?"

The SRC rules allow short childrens books to be used for 5, 10, 15 point tasks.

message 24: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) | 189 comments Will page count requirements (beyond the standard) be added to the tasks already posted? I noticed most of them don't have one listed and that was surprising.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Valerie wrote: "I'm assuming that the Nancy Drew and Babysitters club books work for 5, 10, and 15 point tasks...?"

I love those series. :)

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Alyssia wrote: "Will page count requirements (beyond the standard) be added to the tasks already posted? I noticed most of them don't have one listed and that was surprising."

Task creators make their own choices on page minimums. This is not something added by the moderators.

message 27: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) | 189 comments Sandy wrote: "Alyssia wrote: "Will page count requirements (beyond the standard) be added to the tasks already posted? I noticed most of them don't have one listed and that was surprising."

Task creators make ..."

OK. Last time there were many, and it was my first time "playing", so when there were none this time, I was surprised. Thanks for answering so quickly!

message 28: by Susan A (last edited Nov 24, 2013 05:27PM) (new)

Susan A ETA: I found the answer. Either place is fine.

Question about genre verification

If I have a book approved on the task help thread do I need to post on genre verification too?

Example:
The Nanny Diaries
Book club is the last genre listed so I asked for approval in the task help thread. Am I covered if book club falls off?

message 29: by Pamela Su (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 248 comments This is my first time participating in the challenge and I just want to make sure I understood the rules:

Let's say I want to read The Secret Garden which has the Children's genre on the main page for a 20 point task (or higher).

This would be acceptable because it's over 300 pages. Am I correct?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments You are correct.

message 31: by Pamela Su (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 248 comments Thank you, Jayme. :)

message 32: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments I just noticed that Andy Ps 25.1 task is still missing in the Winter Task Thread, while we already have a nice Help Thread for it and I think a lot of us are already planing our books.

But I think it would be nice to have it in the Tasks, as not all people are checking ever help post.

message 33: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty | 89 comments Hiya, when can we expect to see the winter 20 point tasks? Thanks

message 34: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Kirsty wrote: "Hiya, when can we expect to see the winter 20 point tasks? Thanks"

Kirsty, the 20 pointers are almost all decided at the end of the season--night of Nov 30 in this case. So it'll be a few days into Dec.

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie Hi All! I had a question regarding Big Books & I couldn't find anywhere else to post it--hope this is the right place.

Anyway, I was wondering how we decide which edition dictates page number (in order to claim ticket)? A good example would be one of our Group Reads: American Gods. ISBN 0747263744 (Mass Market Paperback) is listed at 656 pages. ISBN 0380973650 is listed at 465 pages. ISBN 0062109596 is listed at 560 pages.

Which one counts towards establishing required page numbers?

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Julie wrote: "Hi All! I had a question regarding Big Books & I couldn't find anywhere else to post it--hope this is the right place.

Anyway, I was wondering how we decide which edition dictates page number (in ..."

Use the edition that you read.

From the Rules of the Challenge:

8. When determining page count, you should go by the copy you read- EXCEPT as noted below for ebooks, audiobooks, and large print books. Therefore, if you obtain (own, borrow, check out from the library, etc.) the hardback edition, use the page count for the hardback edition. If you obtain the paperback edition, use that page count.

If you read an ebook, or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

message 37: by Julie (new)

Julie Thanks for the clarification Sandy. I'm actually reading the ebook which is listed as 540 pages, but the mass market paperback is 656. Either way, I'm covered! :)

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Julie wrote: "Thanks for the clarification Sandy. I'm actually reading the ebook which is listed as 540 pages, but the mass market paperback is 656. Either way, I'm covered! :)"

So, use the MMPB for page numbers - be sure to include that link when you post and claim the BB ticket.

message 39: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 414 comments I just need a clarification on something. Can I read books at random order? For example, could I read a 10 point task book first and then a 5 point one second?

message 40: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 12:33PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Valerie wrote: "I just need a clarification on something. Can I read books at random order? For example, could I read a 10 point task book first and then a 5 point one second?"

Yes, you can. But you have to post each task numerically. I.E. If I'm posting three tasks say 5.9, 15.4, and 20.10 I would show them in order even though I might not have read them in that order.

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 414 comments Thanks Anne!

message 42: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Valerie wrote: "Thanks Anne!"

You're very welcome, Valerie. We all try and help out when we can. =)

message 43: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Sandy- I had a question for Fall- 20.5-
I was afraid the task creator might not
get back to me if she is out of town-

can I use an audiobook for option 3- cozy read-
if the mass market paperback shows 408 pages?
It said "over 400 pages" on that option.

thanks

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Sandy- I had a question for Fall- 20.5-
I was afraid the task creator might not
get back to me if she is out of town-

can I use an audiobook for option 3- cozy read-
if the mass market paperback s..."

yes. audiobooks are judged for pages based on the MMPB page length, so you're good to go on that one.

message 45: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thanks so much!!!

message 46: by Pamela Su (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 248 comments If the book has a paperback version but it doesn't state the total number of pages, do I still need to get it verified?

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Pamela Su wrote: "If the book has a paperback version but it doesn't state the total number of pages, do I still need to get it verified?"

yes, or have a librarian update the record in anyone with librarian status if the paperback edition can be corrected

message 48: by Pamela Su (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 248 comments Oooh. Okay. Thank you!

message 49: by Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (last edited Dec 02, 2013 08:23AM) (new)

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments I rolled 4 in 30.7 task and need to read a book about a skill I want to improve. My main thing is hand crafts and as most of those books are about instruction how to do the projects so I need to know how much of the book can be pictures?

I have one book, The Stained Glass Handbook where most of the book is actually text and there is only one ~70 page section with projects which most is pictures. The book itself is 223 pages long with some pictures in it. Is this good enough or do I need to find one of those seventies books with 3 black and white pictures in the whole book. x)

message 50: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments What are big book tickets?

Also if a task has options 1, 2, 3 can I do options 1 and 2 and claim double points or can I just choose one?

« previous 1