Start by marking “Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  106,982 Ratings  ·  8,656 Reviews
Grca badge winner
This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to ...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Hyperbole and a Half, please sign up.

Fun Home by Alison BechdelAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonNimona by Noelle Stevenson
Comics & Graphic Novels by Women
3rd out of 613 books — 614 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
15th out of 1,514 books — 2,190 voters

More lists with this book...

Wil Wheaton
Dec 04, 2013 Wil Wheaton rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it, and I know I'll visit this book again and again. My only sad: the alot does not make an appearance.

SO I DEMAND A SEQUEL! I DEMAND IT ALOT!
Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 28, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it
I loved this! It consistently had me laughing so hard I was almost crying. I've been a huge fan of Allie's blog for years, and really the only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is because I'd already read quite a few of the "chapters". I still really recommend this though, both to those who are new to Allie's work and those already following her. It's wonderful!
karen
go to this now!!!

i don't laugh at books much. don't get me wrong, i am not averse to the emotion humans call "happiness." sometimes i will find myself smiling at an amusing book. i have been known to chuckle, even. but this book ripped out my funny bone and started tickling me with it. not only did i LOL, i was crying with laughter by page four. PAGE FOUR! i even took a picture of my laughter-tears as proof which i intended to use in this review, but then i
Patrick
Dec 31, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing
My assistant introduced me to this book, and I immediately fell in love.

Oh Allie Brosh, where have you been all my life?

Oh. You were on the internet. And apparently all the cool kids have known about you for ages.

Here's a link to her website just in case you've been living under a rock like me:

Go and read some.

You can thank me later.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I don't think I've seen a book that most of my friends agree on as much as this one. It seems everyone loves it.
You would have to be a turd to not love this book. Allie Brosh is most awesome.

Allie, You should come and play with us on Goodreads. We are nice people. Most of us are somewhat sane. We would have fun and eat cake together. I'll bring the alcohol.

Now to the book.
So much fun..if you haven't checked out her blog you just need to stop what you are doing and go there.
Rose
Initial reaction: This book deserves ALL THE STARS!

You knew that was coming, right? :) On a serious note, I loved Allie Brosh's funny, honest, and charming account of her life through the artwork and narration in "Hyperbole and a Half." This book is a compilation of several stories Brosh has told on her blog of the same name, compiled in this book, along with some stories I'll admit I haven't seen before.

Full review:

I always have a difficult time writing reviews on books that hit my all-time fa
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

How many stars do I give this one????

Some things I figured out while reading Hyperbole and a Half:

Whooops, sorry – got distracted. Okay, where was I? Oh yeah, stuff I learned.

I think there’s a good chance I adopted clones of Allie Brosh’s dogs . . .

my anti-social behavior is 100% A-Okay . . .

cake IS a fucking food group and no one is going to tell me otherwise . . .

geese are dangerous psychopaths that become extremely violent f
Jason
Apr 26, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kindle, reviewed, 2014
I tend to stay away from humoristic memoirs because some of the ones I’ve read in the past have let me down. A lot of them rely too heavily on shock value as their primary source for humor and that’s a strategy that wears thin rather quickly. This book is different. In fact this book is actually kind of phenomenal.

Put together by an artist who has made a career out of blog postings containing crude graphical representations of her life, this book sources its laughs from a magnifying-glass perspe
Cindy
Dec 03, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok
I'd like to say I liked this book - I did try to. And I can't deny the freaky power of Allie Brosh's crudely drawn illustrations to evoke complicated emotions and ideas.

But I'm tired of navel-gazing blogs turned into books - this one reminded me over and over again of Jen Lancaster - both Brosh and Lancaster, for instance, tell stories of their unloveable dogs that I suppose are intended to make us love the wild rascals or admire their owners for putting up with their bad behavior but only leav
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 16, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
I am a chronic anxiety sufferer: so I can tell you that the most frightening labyrinths and the most fearsome torture chambers are within one's own mind. I inhabit quite a substantial part of my time there. The constant fear is that one might get permanently stuck there, in the condition we call "insanity". Each one of us have our way of coping so that the tunnels never cave in.

Allie Brosh, from her own confessions and from what I could gather from her book, spends a lot of time down in those tu
Emma Sea
Dec 10, 2013 Emma Sea rated it really liked it
Allie Brosh = infinity stars

Hyperbole blog = six stars

My regrets for buying this book = ZERO

The actual book = *whispers* eh, it was good. Yeah, good. Not brilliant. But good.

Reasons =

No alots
Pictures depicting nighttime in a dark forest should not have gray writing on them
The new content that wasn't on the blog was a bit hit or miss for me. Some . . . um . . . can I say it? Seemed like fillers.

Bonus star = lush full color that gave me a slight high from the sheer volume of ink (also the smell t
Greg
Jan 07, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing
Hyperbole and a Half Review

I'm happy that this book exists. If I had known about the blog, like millions of other people, before the book came out I would have been happy that it had existed. But I didn't. Who knew there was good stuff out there on the interwebs?

I couldn't believe how much I was actually laughing out loud at the first story when she finds a letter from her ten year old self to her older self and then responds with writing letters to various aged younger versions of herself. This
Natalie Monroe

I finally know where this meme originated from. From Allie Brosh and her fabulous, fabulous book.

Hyperbole and a Half is the perfect novel to read on a rainy day because it's unbelievably funny. It consists of random incidents and observations in Allie's life, ranging from toddler cake consumption:

“I had tasted cake and there was no going back. My tiny body had morphed into a writhing mass of pure tenacity encased in a layer of desperation. I would eat all of the cake or I would evaporate from
Carol.
Feb 25, 2016 Carol. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of humorous autobiographies
Allie Brosh astounds me. Despite her strange little drawings, particularly a self-portrait that looks something like a marine tube worm, she reaches some profound truths in the course of her book. Part graphic novel, part autobiography, she manages to both amuse and discomfort the reader in the best of ways. Though she presents herself as a person struggling with severe depression issues in a number of the stories, she touches on human truths most of us experience.

Hyperbole and a Half originates
Diane
Dec 05, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
This book had me laughing so hard I started crying. I mean that as a compliment.

Allie Brosh writes the popular blog Hyperbole and a Half, and this is a collection of her favorite web comics and a few new ones. I first found her blog when her post titled "This is Why I'll Never Be an Adult" was getting shared on Facebook and Twitter. It's about her occasional bursts of motivation to Get Stuff Done, but how exhausting and frustrating it quickly becomes to be so responsible. I was happy to see thi
Jessica (priceiswong)
Dec 22, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it really liked it
Loved this! I thought it was hilarious and I was laughing out loud at some chapters! I think my favorite was the chapter about the Simple Dog or when she was writing to her 25 year old self.. "Do you still like dogs? What is your favorite dog?" Haha Apparently this author has a blog so I'm going to have to check that out for sure! Some of this was pretty relatable actually... I did enjoy the deeper parts as well. Overall definitely light and fun and I recommend it if you're in the mood
Louisa
Allie Brosh of the Hyperbole and a Half blog = my longtime girl crush! She's irreverently funny and just so incredibly genuine. Readers of her blog will recognise some of the stories in this. (I'll confess to missing the Alot one just because it was what introduced me to her in the first place, but I'm so glad the depression and simple dog ones made it in.)

ANYWAY. What, you need some motivation to pick this up? Never fear!

(Content removed because Touchstone didn't want me using unauthorised cont
Melki
Jan 08, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it
Allie Brosh knows more about dogs more than Cesar Millan. She knows them inside out and what makes them tick. She understands them. She just doesn't know what to DO about dogs.

The stories about Brosh's dogs are fall-down funny. There is simple dog who is basically a sea cucumber with legs and helper dog who will surmount any obstacle to bark at the neighbor's dog. If you are a dog lover, you will find them HILARIOUS.

Other tales, particularly about depression and some seriously questionable lapse
Amy (shoutame)
This is a non-fiction memoir from Brosh which consists of funny stories paired with even funnier illustrations. For me the illustrations in this book made it a 4 star read. I think if I had simply read the words and not seen the images I wouldn’t of found it anywhere near as funny as I did. Brosh shares amusing anecdotes from her childhood all the way up to present day. As well as the comical stories Brosh also brings us an interesting perspective on mental health. She suffers with depression an ...more
Jenne
Fucking hilarious and true. And hilarious.
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
Five stars!

I didn't expect to like this as much as I did. Rarely do I actually laugh out loud at humor books... but I laughed so many times while I read this.

The drawings are just so bad that they're hilarious and, despite how simplistic they seem, everything down to the littlest squiggle is flawless. I imagine that Allie Brosh actually spends a lot of time perfecting these stupid images.

The stories are funny and relatable and honest. Sometimes they address more meaningful themes (depression, id
Jubilation Lee
Oh, Hyperbole and a Half. I love it and want to tell everyone about it, although I have had to do a fair amount of “Monica, no, don’t BE that person,” because I was reading the blog so much longer than all you new readers which clearly makes it more mine, right, and I don’t like to share awesome things with large numbers of other people. Sometimes I’m eight. I can’t help it.

But anyway, I’ve been waiting for this book since May of 2011, and it’s here! It’s finally here, in my hands! YES!!

First im
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my bitches
Sometimes when people tell me they are depressed I have to manage my mouth and work really hard not to do the slow eye roll.

I tamp down on the urge to school them on the distinction between feeling blue or out of sorts and the utter scourge that is depression.

That is why I GIVE ALL THE STARS to Allie Brosh. She knows the distinction. And she made me laugh, snort, cry, and snot.

Listen to this interview for more ::

Jenny
Dec 18, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
Scary how relatable some of these stories are...
Florencia
May 18, 14
Will I ever find something like this book, again?!

***

Jan 05, 14

This is kind of how I look right now while writing these humble thoughts.

description

Do you see that smile? That little face. It's like a child on sugar overdose after eating half a cake on his birthday during vacations at Disneyland. So, I'll try to control myself.

I was smiling since its introduction. After reading all her “Warning signs” I just knew it was going to be a hilarious book. I didn't know this was such an Internet sensatio
Debbie "DJ" Wilson
Jan 12, 2015 Debbie "DJ" Wilson rated it it was amazing
This is the easiest review I've ever done. Quite simply, because this is the funniest book I have ever read. And, not just funny, but tears streaming down my face funny!

I've never read a graphic novel, and never thought I would. I hated cartoons...even as a kid. This, however, is a whole different experience. A look at life, with all it's absurdities, and even a piece that touched my heart. I cannot recommend highly enough!
Joca
Leitura: Fevereiro 2014
Releitura: Maio 2015
Releitura: Março 2016

Este mês peteceu-me reler uma das histórias deste livro e quando dei por mim já o tinha relido todo... Acho que isto vai acontecer vezes e vezes sem conta ao longo dos anos e o melhor é que outro livro da autora vem a caminho! Adoro o seu tipo de humor e identifico-me demais com tudo! E 2 anos depois posso dizer que tenho o Hyperbole and a Half na minha estante por menos de 4 ahah Quem ler o que está em baixo percebe...

*************
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 27, 2014 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
This book was HILARIOUS, but also deep at times which I really appreciated. It was a nice balance.
Roya
Feb 11, 2016 Roya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roya by: Negin
Shelves: good
Everyone always seems to rave about this book. Up until now, I had avoided it successfully. My sole objection? The cartoons look like they're made on Paint. [I know I'm a snob.] In the end, the only reason I decided to give this a chance was because my mom spoke so highly of it. I wasn't going to read it so suddenly, but my wonderful brother decided it was high time I got sick. Mini rant below.

I stay inside nearly always. Like Brosh, I am a self-proclaimed recluse. I don't get sick because I don
Lisa Vegan
Jan 12, 2016 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers with depression, anxiety, dogs (or who know dogs), memories of childhood
I’ve been having a hard time reading but I quickly sailed through this book. It’s hilarious but poignant too.

Her description of depression is one of the best I’ve ever read, and she’s good at describing anxiety too. Loved the parts about dogs. My favorite parts were probably the cake chapter and the hot sauce chapter.

I appreciated the colored pages as they also showed on the sides, and it was easy to tell how long each section would be.

It’s very, very funny, and I haven’t been laughing or smili
  • Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection
  • Displacement: A Travelogue
  • Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir
  • Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me
  • Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me
  • You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack
  • My Dog: The Paradox: A Lovable Discourse about Man's Best Friend
  • My Dirty Dumb Eyes
  • March: Book One (March, #1)
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • Calling Dr. Laura
  • Underwater Dogs
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • Special Exits
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 2:  Friendship to the Max
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
Allie Brosh has enjoyed writing ever since her mom tricked her into writing a story to distract her from her immediate goal of wrapping the cat in duct-tape. She started her award-winning blog in 2009. Brosh lives in Bend, Oregon, with her husband Duncan, her two dogs, and six pet rats.
More about Allie Brosh...

“Most people can motivate themselves to do things simply by knowing that those things need to be done. But not me. For me, motivation is this horrible, scary game where I try to make myself do something while I actively avoid doing it. If I win, I have to do something I don't want to do. And if I lose, I'm one step closer to ruining my entire life. And I never know whether I'm going to win or lose until the last second.” 294 likes
“I've always wanted not to give a fuck. While crying helplessly into my pillow for no good reason, I would often fantasize that maybe someday I could be one of those stoic badasses whose emotions are mostly comprised of rock music and not being afraid of things.” 119 likes