SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R8: Team #1 ~ Read for Speed **2ND PLACE**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 274 (274 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Nov 03, 2013 10:58AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 27967 comments Team #1
Captain: Thenia

Members:
Stephanie
~♥ Kat ♥~
Rachel -Goodbye Borders
Thenia
Monica

message 2: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 27967 comments Virtual BINGO Card
Shelf names listed are to be filled in top to bottom under each letter listed

B
1. kick-ass heroine
2. *First, Second or Third
3. werewolves
4. shapeshifters
5. vampires
I
6. magic
7. series to read
8. *Reader's Choice
9. part of a series
10. witches
N
11. 5 stars
12. favorite series
N#. FREE SPACE
13. paranormal
14. *Rewind
G
15. *Romance Genre
16. urban fantasy
17. dragons
18. alpha male
19. *Favorite
O
20. supernatural
21. *2013
22. guilty pleasures
23. *New2You Series
24. demons

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Dec 15, 2013 01:45PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 27967 comments Link to print your own copy: BINGO card

SOS book shelf bingo card

message 4: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 27967 comments ...

message 5: by Thenia (last edited Nov 01, 2013 09:19AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Hello team! I don't think I've been in a team with any of you before so quick introduction - I'm Thenia, I currently live in Greece and I'm a veteran both at BSB and being a team captain.

Have you all played before? Ideas for team name and captain volunteers? The only idea I have so far is: "First R8".

Looking forward to playing with you! ^_^

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments I'm Rachel from Boise, Idaho. I've played every single round of Bingo SOS has had and done the team captain a handful of times too.
For names (I'm not that creative): First to the finish, Five Fantastic Foxes

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Sent everyone friend requests too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Everyone!, I'm Kat I live in Nova Scotia ,Canada and I've played BSB I think 5 times now, I'm not very creative when it comes to coming up with team names but I'll put my thinking hat on and see what I can come up with.

I'd like to Opt out of being team captain I have a lot of other things going on right now and I don't want to stretch myself to thin :0)

Really looking forward to playing with all of you and getting to read some great books.

I made a list of books earlier today for the free space only problem is there is over 30 of them that I would like to read :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

So I hit up the Random Team Name Generator for some Ideas and here are a few of the funnier ones :)

Oh So Venomous Vixens
Wild Geckos
Kamikaze Kangaroos
The Plastered Penguins
The Evil Pop Tarts
Drunken Sea Monkeys

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 255 comments Hey guys! This is my 3rd round of bingo =) Looking forward to this one even though it will be much more cutthroat.

I live in California, and just fyi, I believe that when the first shelves are called there is a good chance I will be at work, so I wont be able to actually pick my books until pretty late!

And LOL at The Plastered Penguins, I like that one.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

If I remember right Shelf calls usually happen for me Saturday evenings between 6 pm and 8 pm with the time difference.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 255 comments Yeah I think they happen between 2 and 4 on Saturdays for me

message 14: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments I second the LOL for The Plastered Penguins. :D

Everyone but Monica has checked in and we've all played before, so that's good. Who's going to be captain? I could do it if nobody else wants to - organizing a team has become a part of BSB for me.

Also, votes for our team name so far? Let's get all that out of the way before the shelves are called, especially since this will be a speedy round. Oh, and talking about speed, what do you think of: "Read for Speed" or something of that sort?

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments I'm good if you would like the captain-ship Thenia.
The Plastered Penguins is cute. I do like Read for Speed too since this round is a bit different.
Looking forward to the shelf calls. I told hubby I was excited since I really enjoy playing.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2013 02:43AM) (new)

I'm down with Thenia being team captain and I also like Read for speed or what about The Need For Speed Readers as a team name

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I sent those of you that I'm not already friends with friend requests since I'm now pretty sure I haven't played a team challenge with any of you, it's always nice to make new friends :)

message 18: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Oh...I'm quite partial to "Evil Poptarts"! Love those names it gave you, Kat!

(now running off...carry on with your actual vote).

message 19: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23444 comments Yep, that was the one I liked the most as well. Sneaks away quietly .....

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I just love some of the names the random team generator comes up with, some of them are just to darn funny :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

So we still haven't heard from Monica yet, should maybe one of us send her a PM just as a reminder? :)

message 22: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Do I report for captain duty? It seems I've got Rachel and Kat's votes (thank you ladies! :)) so unless Stephanie or Monica would like to step in, I'm it?

I'll send Monica a PM for now and we can decide who's the official team captain later.

As for names, we've got 3 votes for both "The Plastered Penguins" and "Read for Speed" so far and we could go with that last theme and use a variation of sorts, like "The Need For Speed Readers" or perhaps "Read for Speed BSB".

Thoughts?

message 23: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Message/reminder to Monica sent.

Also: BSB R8 Stats, created by none other than the wonderful Judithe (thank you Judithe! ^_^).

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think anyone will dispute your leadership Thenia if you want to be captain :)

I like all the names so i'm cool with whatever to group wants to go with

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just really excited to start playing come on BSB do your worst...lol :)

message 26: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Ok team, our first shelves are up!

Shelf #1 ~ 3/11/13: 'Kick-ass Heroine'
DIRECT LINK: kick-ass-heroine

Shelf #2 ~ 3/11/13: 'Dragons'
DIRECT LINK: dragons

Pick your books and I'll get the lists organized! Happy reading! :D

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2013 03:10PM) (new)

Well this was 2 of the easiest choices I made all day :)

I'll be reading Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth for Kick Ass Heroine and Fury of Desire (Dragonfury, #4) by Coreene Callahan for Dragons

Happy Reading Ladies :D

message 28: by Thenia (last edited Dec 09, 2013 06:03PM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Free Space

✔Kat - Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion (SOS Bookshelf) - ★★★★★ - (11/8/2013) Review
✔Monica - Sabriel - Garth Nix (SOS Bookshelf) - ★★★★ - (11/3/2013) Review
✔Rachel - Grimspace - Ann Aguirre (SOS Bookshelf) - ★★★★★ - (11/8/2013) Review
✔Thenia - Hounded - Kevin Hearne (SOS Bookshelf) - ★★★★ - (11/5/2013) Review

Done: 4/4 ~ stamp received (12/9/2013)

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1) by Isaac Marion Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne

message 29: by Thenia (last edited Nov 12, 2013 09:58AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Shelf #1 ~ 3/11/13: Kick-ass Heroine

✔Kat - Insurgent - Veronica Roth - ★★★★★ - (11/9/2013) Review
✔Monica - Blood Bound - Patricia Briggs - ★★★★★ - (11/3/2013) Review
✔Rachel - Married by Mistake - Abby Gaines - ★★★ - (11/3/2013) Review
✔Stephanie - Cinder - Marissa Meyer - ★★★★ - (11/6/2013) Review
✔Thenia - Heat Stroke - Rachel Caine - ★★★★ - (11/6/2013) Review

Done: 5/5 ~ stamp received (11/12/2013)

Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Married by Mistake by Abby Gaines Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2) by Rachel Caine

message 30: by Thenia (last edited Nov 12, 2013 09:59AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Shelf #2 ~ 3/11/13: Dragons

✔Kat - Fury of Desire - Coreene Callahan - ★★★★★ - (11/6/2013) Review
✔Monica - Eragon - Christopher Paolini - ★★★★★ - (11/10/2013) Review
✔Rachel - How to Drive a Dragon Crazy - G.A. Aiken - ★★★ - (11/9/2013) Review
✔Stephanie - The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde - ★★ - (11/9/2013) Review
✔Thenia - Light My Fire - Katie MacAlister - ★★★ - (11/3/2013) Review

Done: 5/5 ~ stamp received (11/12/2013)

Fury of Desire (Dragonfury, #4) by Coreene Callahan Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (Dragon Kin, #6) by G.A. Aiken The Last Dragonslayer (The Chronicles of Kazam, #1) by Jasper Fforde Light My Fire (Aisling Grey Guardian, #3) by Katie MacAlister

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 03, 2013 02:06AM) (new)

Oh and for My free Space choice I'll be reading Death, Doom and Detention (Darklight, #2) by Darynda Jones (SOS Bookshelf)

message 32: by Rachel- Goodbye Borders (last edited Nov 02, 2013 04:09PM) (new)

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments For Kick-Ass Heroine: Married by Mistake(this is a feebie I've had for awhile. It's on my Nook and since I'm taking it to a football party tonight hopefully I can get it read. It's on page 55. It could be a DNF though if it pisses me off (or if I just don't like it)...so this might change)
For Free Space: Grimspace (SOS Bookshelf)
For Dragons: (have to leave to get to football party in time, I will pick when get back later tonight).

message 33: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 345 comments I am so sorry for the late check in. I have had a busy past couple of days plus I wanted to finish my current read so I am free to start the books for this round!

My name is Monica and I am from Pennsylvania. I am fine with Thenia being captain. I know I cannot handle being captain.

I will look at the shelves and find books for them. Will post once I decide.

Will also look over the team name choices.

message 34: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 345 comments My free space choice is: Sabriel (SOS Bookshelf)

Looking for my other books now.

message 35: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 345 comments Kick ass Heroine shelf: Blood Bound

Dragon shelf: Eragon

Now for team name I like the Plastered Penguins.

Now to go and listen and read my books.

Happy Reading all!!

message 36: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Thenia wrote: "Message/reminder to Monica sent.

Also: BSB R8 Stats, created by none other than the wonderful Judithe (thank you Judithe! ^_^)."

You're welcome!!

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 255 comments Well kids I will be reading

Kick ass heroines: Cinder

Dragons: The Last Dragonslayer

Free Space: Carnival of Souls

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

OK so it looks like there is now 4 votes for The Plastered Penguins and still only 3 for Read for Speed, so we'll leave it up to our oh so organized captain to cast the finally decision :)

Lots of good books being read this week I'll be looking forward to the reviews!

message 39: by Thenia (last edited Nov 03, 2013 04:02AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Our lists are all updated:

Free Space
Kick-ass Heroine
Dragons

Quick questions:
--Kat and Stephanie: Did you find your Free Space books in the SOS Bookshelf, BOM lists or the new releases threads?
--Rachel: According to the rules: Only books found on the shelf AND started AFTER the shelf was announced will be allowed., so you'll probably need to pick another book for Kick-ass Heroine or this one might be disqualified after you'd gone to the trouble of reading it (especially if it's a potential dnf!).

As for our team name, I'm leaning towards Read for Speed since it's especially fitting for this round while The Plastered Penguins could be used at any other normal round.
All those in favor of Read for Speed being our team name say "Aye", or if you'd rather we be the Penguins say "Nay". After you've all voted I'll pass on our decision to the ninjas.

That's all for now. Happy reading and I'm looking forward to your reviews!

message 40: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23444 comments Thenia, as for Rachel's pick for Kick-Ass Heroine - it doesn't appear that she picked it before the shelf was announced, as she said it was on pg 55. What leads you to think she started it before?

message 41: by Thenia (last edited Nov 03, 2013 04:04AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Sandra wrote: "Thenia, as for Rachel's pick for Kick-Ass Heroine - it doesn't appear that she picked it before the shelf was announced, as she said it was on pg 55. What leads you to think she started it before?"

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood her comment! (I thought she meant she was on page 55 of the book for some reason... :S) Thanks for pointing it out Sandra.

message 42: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 345 comments I am fine with Read for Speed as our team name.

message 43: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23444 comments Thenia wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Thenia, as for Rachel's pick for Kick-Ass Heroine - it doesn't appear that she picked it before the shelf was announced, as she said it was on pg 55. What leads you to think she star..."

No worries Thenia, I just couldn't understand what you were thinking, but now I see the misunderstanding :)

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Read for Speed is perfect for this round.

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Stephanie wrote: "Well kids I will be reading

Kick ass heroines: Cinder

Dragons: The Last Dragonslayer

Free Space: Carnival of Souls"

I think you'll love Cinder! Looking forward to your review!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Thenia My free space is from the SOS Bookshelf

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm good with Read for Speed as team name

message 48: by Monica (last edited Nov 03, 2013 12:25PM) (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 345 comments Shelf Name: Free Space
Book: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Date finished: Nov. 3, 2013
Rate: 4 starts ****
Review:

Well I am not sure about this book or series. I may decide to read the other ones. This is my first book by Garth Nix. I listened to the audio which was narrated by Tim Curry. I enjoyed listening to him.

I was not familiar with anything about this book so I went in with no prior thoughts or opinions. I enjoyed the book but still trying to figure out the story. I will be checking out my library to see if they have the actual books.

I hope I did this right. Let me know if I need to fix it.

message 49: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments That's great Monica! You're the first of our team to finish a book, too.

I'm waiting for Stephanie to reply, but in all likelihood our team name will be Read for Speed. Let's do just that! :D

message 50: by Stephanie (last edited Nov 03, 2013 02:27PM) (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 255 comments Yes, my free space read was on the giant long list of books on the SOS shelf =)

Also, you guys can name it whatever you want =)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6