Start by marking “The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

The Crown of Embers

(Fire and Thorns #2)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  44,330 ratings  ·  3,358 reviews
She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

Elisa is a hero. She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from both foreign realms and within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer the
Published September 18th 2012 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Crown of Embers, please sign up.
Lexy S.C. I don't think they say exactly how old he is, but I think it implied that he is about 20. (The funny thing is, when he was first introduced, I picture…moreI don't think they say exactly how old he is, but I think it implied that he is about 20. (The funny thing is, when he was first introduced, I pictured him as an old man XD)(less)
Lexy S.C. No way. I read it at 13, and is totally appropriate for that age.
YA Novels of 2012
1,317 books — 10,668 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,513 books — 15,678 voters

More lists with this book...

·  44,330 ratings  ·  3,358 reviews

Start your review of The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
Jeff
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
JUST AS GOOD AS THE FIRST.

Everyone....if you haven't read this book becuz of ur bajillion other books in ur tbr pile....I forgive you.....
Ur life will be spared....
Now pick this series up now and read it. ;p

THERES JUST SO MUCH FEEELZ EVERYONE.
THE FEEELZZZZZ......AND ACTION......AND AMAZING CHARACRERS........prepare to fall in love.
Keertana
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I have to admit, I am a little upset. Not because of the cliffhanger ending, but because I was expecting one and it never came. Seriously. I pre-ordered this book and have been staring at it longingly on my shelves for MONTHS, refusing to be subject to a terrible, heart-wrenching cliffhanger, only to have an ending that leaves me jumping up and down for joy, completely satisfied and happy. Needless to say, we all need to re-affirm our definition of a cliffhanger ending.

Does Cro
Kat
Holy cheeseballs covered in roly polies. I can't form a coherent thought after finishing this book this morning. I will say that I was distracted ALL DAY at school because of the feelings pulsing through me after gobbling this book up. I just. I can't. I don't.

AAAAHHHHHHH. BRAIN IS IMPLODING.

There were so many times I wanted to smack all the characters! But thank GOD Elisa does what she does at the end, even if she does a certain other thing before then that makes her do the certain thing that
Sana
Mar 31, 2017 marked it as d-n-f
DNF

i simply do not care enough to continue
Robin (Bridge Four)
On sale $3.99 5/13/16 Here

On my second read this book held up very well the struggles Elisa faced and the Hector of it. Don't mind me while I swoon for Hector all over again.

Original Review

Pardon me while I pick my heart up off the floor. This was such a great follow up to Girl of Fire and Thorns.

The book starts off shortly after GoFaT ended. Elisa is trying to run the country, but it has been difficult she has been met with riots, new attacks on her life and threats from both inside and out. S
Jodi Meadows
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've now read THE CROWN OF EMBERS twice. If I could give it another five stars, I would. Being on my "books I love beyond reason" shelf will have to suffice.

Because I do love it beyond reason.
Ashley DiNorcia
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
Ok. So the whole time I'm reading this series and they talk about this girl with a gem in her bellybutton this is all I can see

Anybody? Ok. Moving on.
Giving this one a 4.5 as it didn't really pull me in as hard as the first book. However, this may be as a whole my new favorite YA fantasy series. I love the balance between politics, romance, and the magical elements of this story. I don't feel like I'm being smothered in cliche romance, the magical stuff is really interesting and the politics a
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
What a difference the introduction makes. I'll admit that the first time around, I abandoned this book because I could not get past the beginning. Ok, Elisa almost dies several times, her country is in chaos, but they are the most boring murder attempts/civil unrest possible. I don't think it's the writing, it's just tossing events after events at us with little character development that made the beginning intolerable for me, however action-packed it was.

However, past page 90 is where the book
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Warning : This is not a review for the book, because I didn't reach further than 7% (Hector did shave his moustache, though, so : woot! #LittleVictory). This is only an extended status because I ramble too much for those the space there is ridiculously short, right? Who thought 420 characters were enough, I wonder. You guessed right, I don't do twitter. To-the-point is not my friend.

Anyway. Stop rambling Anna damn it.

All of that is to say that I'm taking a little time off Goodreads so I a
Thomas
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Females! Young-adult females! And males, too, I suppose - drop what you're reading and check this series out. Or finish what you're reading and then check it out, as Rae Carson has come into her own with The Crown of Embers. Similar to the Mortal Instruments trilogy, the first book in the Fire and Thorns trilogy (The Girl of Fire and Thorns) didn't win me over, but its sequel did. Boy, it did.

In The Crown of Embers Elisa continues her quest to fulfill the duty given to her by her Godstone. As qu
Samantha
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*
Nastassja
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

A few tips how to write an excellent sequel:

-more characters' development
-more political intrigue
-more humor
-more magic
-more romance

I loved this book. It was a whirlwind of emotions. I honestly did not expect it to be THAT good. I liked the first book, I liked Elisa, but now I admire the girl - what a wonderful character development indeed! She came a way from one of the most annoying heroines to one of my favorite her

Norah Una Sumner
"I want to be queen of this great country not because someone is holding my hand,but because I can do it.Me.Elisa."

Damn son.I'm an emotional mess right now.This book was so damn good I want to somehow imprint it into my brain so that I can replay certain scenes over and over again.I liked Elisa in the first book but I love her in this one.I could finally completely connect with her and sense her huge character development.I really like Mara and Storm,too.And that last moment with Xim
kiwi kili
Apr 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Well, if you liked the first one, give it a go. I guess.
Oh no. Here I am again. The odd one out. The one person who just didn't like this book.
Sigh.
More of a review to come...

WARNING! SARCASM AND MILD HUMOR TO COME!! STEER CLEAR IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC!! Sorry about that. I've learned that sometimes you have to set up these little disclaimers for the "die-hard-fans-of-books" who will attack you for giving a book a bad review. Am I not allowed to have opinions here anymore? Are we suddenly living in "dystopian fiction" world? Because I threw that world
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, serious physical injury to a loved one, blood, stabbing, storms at sea.

24/6/2019
I STILL SHIP IT LIKE WHOA. But also, I'm bumping this down to 4.5 stars on reread. I found it slightly slower and slightly more middle-book-y this time around. I still love the characters, I still love the world, I still love the writing, I still love the plot. And honestly, this is a spectacular slow burn and I adore everything about it.

8/2/2017
I SHIP IT LIKE WHOA. Full thoughts to follo
Shannon (kitchandpages)
Fast paced and fun! Onto the last book!
Deborah

3,5*

I enjoyed this book.

Elisa discovers it’s not easy being queen especially when it appears someone is trying to undermine her.
She makes mistakes and bad decisions and it’s very easy to forget that she’s only seventeen years old. But she’s intelligent and learns from her mistakes.

My issues with the first book weren’t really a problem here.
Elisa is no longer fat, not that I had any issue at all with her weight it was refreshing having a heroine that wasn’t stick thin. But it was the obsession
Shelly Strange
I gave the first book 3.5 stars. I'm DNFing this one at 10%. It's boring not for me. The female protagonist is strong, but it's not holding my interest. I also think too much time has passed since I read book one and past events are now unfamiliar.
Katerina  Kondrenko
6 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Lissie – In Sleep
Of Monsters And Men – Thousand Eyes
Toby Lightman – Holding A Heart

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: magic amulets, political intrigues, adventures
Fail: religion stuff
WOW: world-building, cliffhanger
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: zero

Quote-Core:
majo
Me, reading the first book in the series: Eh, this is okay, I guess?

Me, as soon as I finished this sequel: EXCUSE ME, WHO ALLOWED THIS BOOK TO BE SO DAMN GOOD????

Also, the phrase "I love you like a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little" is one of the most beautiful things I've read in my life. This couple. THIS FREAKING COUPLE. 😭😍😭😍
Kilikina
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhhhhaowerfnoafhoawelfkdsljf......ok.

While this sequel wasn't as intense as the first one, I still enjoyed it just as much.
Elisa was just as strong of a heroine as she was in the first book. I loved the romance between Hector and Elisa. I was actually wary of Hector just because of how much I loved Humberto...But Hector isn't one of those male characters that tries to take the other love interest's place. His relationship with Elisa was totally different than Humberto's and that's something
Brigid
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love confident and intelligent heroines
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Crown of Embers by Rae Carson Review

Holy Fuck, a book without insta-love! There must be a blue moon or something, right?

Thoughts:

Rae Carson may be one of the few authors of Young Adult fiction I love most. Here’s why: she doesn’t slut shame, she doesn’t write insta-love, she writes realistic character development, and she has the heroine save herself instead of the male lead swooping in.

But, she also does something I feel was quite brave: she created a story line that has a big influenc
Andie
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! What a fantastic follow up to The Girl of Fire and Thorns! And that cliffhanger!! I'm literally about to drive to the bookstore to hopefully find the last book because I simply cannot wait to know what happens next! I think, no I know, I have found a new OTP.
Lindsey Rey
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2014
LOOOOOOVE THIS SERIES! So much goodness and brilliance!
Lucia
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, 5-stars-read
SERIES RATING AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:
Book 1: The Girl of Fire and Thorns - 4 STARS
Book 2: The Crown of Embers - 5 STARS
Book 3: The Bitter Kingdom - 5 STARS

How to sum up this trilogy? The Girl of Fire and Thorn has rich world-building, adventurous atmosphere and remarkable character development. Author also has great storytelling skills. It is so nice to have in detail planned out plot without any plot holes or disruptions of the flow of the story. To be honest, writing and story wise I hav
Maria (highinthebooksky)
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
what can I say... this book totally surprised me
it was the second time I picked it up and well I'm glad I did

I think this trilogy has very unique elements ... like the godstones and the at the beginning chubby protagonist ...

but what I really liked in this book was how the relationships between all the characters developed and changed...

hector for instant was such a revelation for me! his relationship with elisa really made this book fun and interesting
they were so sweet and sometimes awkward
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

I ABSOLUTELY LOVEDDDDDD THIS BOOK!!! IT WAS JUST ABOUT PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!! PHEWWWWW, WHAT A RIDE!!!

4.5 Stars

THE CROWN OF EMBERS was an EXPLOSIVE READ that I absolutely LOVED!! It took me on the ride of my life, and filled me with such awesomeness that kept me up reading late into night, craving just one-more-chapter I couldn't get enough of!!! I loved the world building, the characters, the villains, the magical aspects, frankly, I loved just about every single thing in this novel, no, i
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I love fantasy. I loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I desperately wanted to read The Crown of Embers and be blown away, like I was with The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Was I? Oh, hells yeah. Abso-freaking-lutely, I was! It was amazing and perfect and captivating and when I was reading, the rest of the world dropped away and I had eyes only for this book. (Seriously, I looked up that first night while reading and realized that everyone in my house had already gone to bed, and it was nearing midnigh ...more
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
Elisa is one of my favorite heroines ever!

Just had to get that out. I did enjoy this book more than the first one, but there's still something that stops me from saying that this is a full 5 star book - more like a 4.5. I think it has to do with Rae Carson's style of writing - it's quite different from most other authors I read right now. Not in a bad way, mind, but different enough to make it a bit of a challenge to read.

This book was very politically intricate and studies what happens when a y
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Who knew that underneath his mustache Hector was one big pile of swoon-inducing charm? (By the way, I want to thank the author for having him shave it this book, much obliged)

description

I hadn't read the first book in FOREVER. So when I got this one, I wasn't all anxious to read it. But then I read it. And I didn't put it down. And Elisa is so strong. And Hector is so sweet. And I loved loved LOVED it.

There was so much adventure. So much character development. So much complex politics. So much love from me

• Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2)
  • Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3)
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
  • The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
  • Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
  • Fire (Graceling Realm, #2)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

Fire and Thorns (4 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • The Empire of Dreams (Fire and Thorns, #4)

News & Interviews

“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.” 285 likes
“A quarterstaff is not very subtle. Or handy. If an kidnapper comes at me, what am I supposed to do? Say, 'Excuse me, my lord, while I pull my enormous quarterstaff out of my bodice?” 98 likes