Start by marking “The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

The Crown of Embers

(Fire and Thorns #2)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  42,639 ratings  ·  3,231 reviews
She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

Elisa is a hero.

She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from foreign realms and even from within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not ye
Published September 18th 2012 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Crown of Embers, please sign up.
Lexy S.C. I don't think they say exactly how old he is, but I think it implied that he is about 20. (The funny thing is, when he was first introduced, I…moreI don't think they say exactly how old he is, but I think it implied that he is about 20. (The funny thing is, when he was first introduced, I pictured him as an old man XD)(less)
Lexy S.C. No way. I read it at 13, and is totally appropriate for that age.
YA Novels of 2012
1,322 books — 10,696 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,514 books — 15,729 voters

More lists with this book...

·  42,639 ratings  ·  3,231 reviews

Start your review of The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
Jeff
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
JUST AS GOOD AS THE FIRST.

Everyone....if you haven't read this book becuz of ur bajillion other books in ur tbr pile....I forgive you.....
Ur life will be spared....
Now pick this series up now and read it. ;p

THERES JUST SO MUCH FEEELZ EVERYONE.
THE FEEELZZZZZ......AND ACTION......AND AMAZING CHARACRERS........prepare to fall in love.
Keertana
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I have to admit, I am a little upset. Not because of the cliffhanger ending, but because I was expecting one and it never came. Seriously. I pre-ordered this book and have been staring at it longingly on my shelves for MONTHS, refusing to be subject to a terrible, heart-wrenching cliffhanger, only to have an ending that leaves me jumping up and down for joy, completely satisfied and happy. Needless to say, we all need to re-affirm our definition of a cliffhanger endi
Kat
Holy cheeseballs covered in roly polies. I can't form a coherent thought after finishing this book this morning. I will say that I was distracted ALL DAY at school because of the feelings pulsing through me after gobbling this book up. I just. I can't. I don't.

AAAAHHHHHHH. BRAIN IS IMPLODING.

There were so many times I wanted to smack all the characters! But thank GOD Elisa does what she does at the end, even if she does a certain other thing before then that makes her do the certain thing that
Sana
DNF

i simply do not care enough to continue
Ashley DiNorcia
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
Ok. So the whole time I'm reading this series and they talk about this girl with a gem in her bellybutton this is all I can see

Anybody? Ok. Moving on.
Giving this one a 4.5 as it didn't really pull me in as hard as the first book. However, this may be as a whole my new favorite YA fantasy series. I love the balance
Jodi Meadows
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've now read THE CROWN OF EMBERS twice. If I could give it another five stars, I would. Being on my "books I love beyond reason" shelf will have to suffice.

Because I do love it beyond reason.
Robin (Bridge Four)
On sale $3.99 5/13/16 Here

Pardon me while I pick my heart up off the floor. This was such a great follow up to Girl of Fire and Thorns.

The book starts off shortly after GoFaT ended. Elisa is trying to run the country, but it has been difficult she has been met with riots, new attacks on her life and threats from both inside and out. She has to build her country again and to do that she needs to find a husband to be allied with to help build support. She is having trouble being strong, or seeming stron/>Pardon
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
What a difference the introduction makes. I'll admit that the first time around, I abandoned this book because I could not get past the beginning. Ok, Elisa almost dies several times, her country is in chaos, but they are the most boring murder attempts/civil unrest possible. I don't think it's the writing, it's just tossing events after events at us with little character development that made the beginning intolerable for me, however action-packed it was.

However, past page 90 is whe
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Warning : This is not a review for the book, because I didn't reach further than 7% (Hector did shave his moustache, though, so : woot! #LittleVictory). This is only an extended status because I ramble too much for those the space there is ridiculously short, right? Who thought 420 characters were enough, I wonder. You guessed right, I don't do twitter. To-the-point is not my friend.

Anyway. Stop rambling Anna damn it.

All of that is to say that I'm taking a little time off Goodreads so I apologize in advance
Thomas
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Females! Young-adult females! And males, too, I suppose - drop what you're reading and check this series out. Or finish what you're reading and then check it out, as Rae Carson has come into her own with The Crown of Embers. Similar to the Mortal Instruments trilogy, the first book in the Fire and Thorns trilogy (The Girl of Fire and Thorns) didn't win me over, but its sequel did. Boy, it did.

In The Crown of Embers Elisa continues her quest to fulfill the duty given to her by her Godstone. As queen of her k(The
Samantha
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*
Nastassja
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

A few tips how to write an excellent sequel:

-more characters' development
-more political intrigue
-more humor
-more magic
-more romance

I loved this book. It was a whirlwind of emotions. I honestly did not expect it to be THAT good. I liked the first book, I liked Elisa, but now I admire the girl - what a wonderful character development indeed! She came a way from one of the most annoying heroine/>

I

Norah Una Sumner
"I want to be queen of this great country not because someone is holding my hand,but because I can do it.Me.Elisa."

Damn son.I'm an emotional mess right now.This book was so damn good I want to somehow imprint it into my brain so that I can replay certain scenes over and over again.I liked Elisa in the first book but I love her in this one.I could finally completely connect with her and sense her huge character development.I really like Mara and Storm,too.And that last moment with Ximena,wow,bad ass lady alert! Oh,Hector,dear:

description

Can't wait to read The Bitter Kingdom!

Favourite quotes:

Given a choice between my life and yours, I will choose mine. Every time. Without hesitation.”

“You made me cut and dye my hair.”
Surely he understands that we face greater problems? “I thought it would greatly improve your looks,” I snap.
“Shorn hair is a sign of shame. You humiliate me greatly.”
I’ll light a candle tonight in honor of your dead tresses.”

I will not pretend weakness. Not ever, not for anyone.”

“A quarterstaff is not very subtle. Or handy. If an kidnapper comes at me, what am I supposed to do? Say, "Excuse me, my lord, while I pull my enormous quarterstaff out of my bodice?”
la keelskilo du fromage
Apr 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Well, if you liked the first one, give it a go. I guess.
Oh no. Here I am again. The odd one out. The one person who just didn't like this book.
Sigh.
More of a review to come...

WARNING! SARCASM AND MILD HUMOR TO COME!! STEER CLEAR IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC!! Sorry about that. I've learned that sometimes you have to set up these little disclaimers for the "die-hard-fans-of-books" who will attack you for giving a book a bad review. Am I not allowed to have opinions here anymore? Are we suddenly living in "dystopian fiction" world? Because I threw that world in the TRASH BIN forcome...
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, serious physical injury to a loved one, blood, stabbing, storms at sea.

24/6/2019
I STILL SHIP IT LIKE WHOA. But also, I'm bumping this down to 4.5 stars on reread. I found it slightly slower and slightly more middle-book-y this time around. I still love the characters, I still love the world, I still love the writing, I still love the plot. And honestly, this is a spectacular slow burn and I adore everything about it.

8/2/2017
I SHIP IT LIKE WHOA
Shannon (leaninglights)
Fast paced and fun! Onto the last book!
Deborah

3,5*

I enjoyed this book.

Elisa discovers it’s not easy being queen especially when it appears someone is trying to undermine her.
She makes mistakes and bad decisions and it’s very easy to forget that she’s only seventeen years old. But she’s intelligent and learns from her mistakes.

My issues with the first book weren’t really a problem here.
Elisa is no longer fat, not that I had any issue at all with her weight it was refreshing having a heroine that wasn’t s
Sh3lly
I gave the first book 3.5 stars. I'm DNFing this one at 10%. It's boring not for me. The female protagonist is strong, but it's not holding my interest. I also think too much time has passed since I read book one and past events are now unfamiliar.
Katerina Kondrenko
6 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Lissie – In Sleep
Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Short-Soundtrack:
Lissie – In Sleep
Of Monsters And Men – Thousand Eyes
Toby Lightman – Holding A Heart

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: magic amulets, political intrigues, adventures
Fail: religion stuff
WOW: world-building, cliffhanger
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: zero

Quote-Core:
“I will not pretend weakness. Not ever, not for anyone.”

I went through this book with assistance of my dear Nastassja . It's awesome when you have a chance to share your raw emotions with someone who understands.

What can I say... It was a decent read, indeed, but not captivating, and I didn't fall for the characters, though some of them still have a chance to win me over.

I feel very conflicted. Sometimes I was really hooked while sometimes only bored, some heroes were amazing while some rather annoying (though emotions are valuable thing anyway, so if an author can fury you with her story, give him or her a credit), some events were surprising while some kinda predictable. See where I'm going?

Moreover, we have an awesome world-building, good adventures, sloooooooow-burning romance, but Elisa (the voice of this series which you can't avoid) and religion stuff were shadowing all the pros. I mean... it would be so much better, if all this amulets' thing was based on magic only. At least for me.

In this installment you'll see more politics, new characters and love (a new one too). Elisa is a widowed queen now. When mysterious and not so mysterious people don't try to kill her, she's busy with problems of her kingdom and with potential husbands. Yes, her quorum thinks she has to re-marry (a man they would choose) and thus straighten her country. But Elisa wants to be powerful by herself and she goes to the South islands to find zafira which is a source of divine power (you have it, you rule the world).

This adventure would teach her to rely only on herself and people who care about her, not some mystic wells and stuff. She will learn to make important decisions by her own, but accept advises from other persons when it needs. So if to speak about character-development, it was done great. Though I have to admit, I was really annoyed with Elisa's insecurity at the start of the book. There was fat-thinking again, some comparisons to other women and suchlike things. I didn't know what to make up of this heroine. Is she confident or beautiful or ugly duckling? How to picture her in my mind? She didn't help me with her way of thoughts.

Where I didn't like Elisa, I enjoyed Mara. First of all, during the first book I thought she was around 30. Maybe I didn't pay much attention, maybe translator did his or her work not very well (Mara was called a 'woman' not a 'girl' in a Russian version of The Girl of Fire and Thorns ), and when I saw she's only 17, I was like O.o really? She's so cool! And her love-stories are way more intense and interesting when Elisa's. Moreover, the girl is strong and confident enough, she helps Elisa to become the same person: free, beautiful and kinda wild. I'm not surprised that Queen prefers her company to Ximena's. And Mara can be really funny:
“Well maybe you'll get lucky. Maybe you'll marry a man who is rich and powerful and wise AND wonderful to be naked with.' I can't help the giggle that bubbles from my mouth. 'Maybe,' she says, 'you should ask all your suitors to drop their breeches so you can inspect the merchandise.' 'Mara!' 'You could make it a royal command.' I toss a pillow at her.”

Oh, I need to tell you about another character I liked a lot. It's Rosario. My first 7 year-old crush. Okay, don't give me this look, I'm kidding (and not at the same time). I liked Alejandro, but I couldn't respect him. Now look at his son! Rosario is very similar to his father, though he's not only has a good heart, he's smart, he's learning to fight from Hector and getting wisdom from Elisa. He will grow up into a perfect man and king. Rae Carson , please write a spin-off about this boy and make him 28-30 year-old (otherwise, I'd look really creepy to gush over a child xDD)!

Let'g go further. Hector. I knew he would be next Elisa's love-interest, so from the very first page I was waiting for some making out sessions, but their ship was burning soooooo slow I might kill 'em or myself long before something finally did happen. This guy is all about duty and honor, but it doesn't mean he isn't passionate. For example, he finds canalization tunnel to be a nice place for a first kiss. Passionate and weird.

Well, it's time to mention Storm. Invierne guy with a gold hair, green eyes and sharp tongue. You won't like him from the first sight, and from the the second one too. But this character adds to the story a good amount of sarcasm. Who doesn't love sarcasm? And he reminds me of Roshar from The Winner's Crime .

Now we'll talk a little about persons I disliked and much (aside from Elisa, she's not a girl of my fiction dreams, but I can tolerate her at least). Ximena and Alodia. Especially the former. This old woman is the most annoying thing ever. She tried to control every part of Elisa's life, she was eager to marry Hector with Alodia! I was so happy about Elisa's decisions regarding this bwitch. Alodia didn't actually present in the story, but my dislike doesn't depend on a mere presence of a recipient of hatred. I can hate her from afar. Easy-peasy.

Overall. Now I see how Rae Carson loves to develop her stories. A journey is a constant component. Her characters are always on their way... somewhere. They have to go, ride, run, swim and so on, they have to be in motion, they always have a destination. I'm not a fan of suchlike stories, but I'm curious about the ending and Hector's fate.

Fire and Thorns (Шипы и огонь):
The Shadow Cats (Призрачные кошки) #0.5/3
The Shattered Mountain (Треснувшая гора) #0.6/3
The King's Guard (Королевский гвардеец) #0.7/3
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Книга шипов и огня) #1/3
The Crown of Embers (Корона из пепла) #2/3
— The Bitter Kingdom (Жестокое царство) #3/3
majo
Me, reading the first book in the series: Eh, this is okay, I guess?

Me, as soon as I finished this sequel: EXCUSE ME, WHO ALLOWED THIS BOOK TO BE SO DAMN GOOD????

Also, the phrase "I love you like a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little" is one of the most beautiful things I've read in my life. This couple. THIS FREAKING COUPLE. 😭😍😭😍
Kilikina
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhhhhaowerfnoafhoawelfkdsljf......ok.

While this sequel wasn't as intense as the first one, I still enjoyed it just as much.
Elisa was just as strong of a heroine as she was in the first book. I loved the romance between Hector and Elisa. I was actually wary of Hector just because of how much I loved Humberto...But Hector isn't one of those male characters that tries to take the other love interest's place. His relationship with Elisa was totally different than Humberto's and that'
Brigid
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love confident and intelligent heroines
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Crown of Embers by Rae Carson Review

Holy Fuck, a book without insta-love! There must be a blue moon or something, right?

Thoughts:

Rae Carson may be one of the few authors of Young Adult fiction I love most. Here’s why: she doesn’t slut shame, she doesn’t write insta-love, she writes realistic character development, and she has the heroine save herself instead of the male lead swooping in.

But, she also does something
Andie
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! What a fantastic follow up to The Girl of Fire and Thorns! And that cliffhanger!! I'm literally about to drive to the bookstore to hopefully find the last book because I simply cannot wait to know what happens next! I think, no I know, I have found a new OTP.
Lindsey Rey
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2014
LOOOOOOVE THIS SERIES! So much goodness and brilliance!
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

I ABSOLUTELY LOVEDDDDDD THIS BOOK!!! IT WAS JUST ABOUT PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!! PHEWWWWW, WHAT A RIDE!!!

4.5 Stars

THE CROWN OF EMBERS was an EXPLOSIVE READ that I absolutely LOVED!! It took me on the ride of my life, and filled me with such awesomeness that kept me up reading late into night, craving just one-more-chapter I couldn't get enough of!!! I loved the world building, the characters, the villains, the magical aspects, frankly, I loved just about every single thing in this novel, no, in this series!!

THE CROW
Lucia
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 5-stars-read, ya
SERIES RATING AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:
Book 1: The Girl of Fire and Thorns - 4 STARS
Book 2: The Crown of Embers - 5 STARS
Book 3: The Bitter Kingdom - 5 STARS

How to sum up this trilogy? The Girl of Fire and Thorn has rich world-building, adventurous atmosphere and remarkable character development. Author also has great storytelling skills. It is so nice to have in detail planned out plot without any plot holes or disruptions of the flow of the story. To be honest, writing and story wise I have nothing to rebuke author
Maria (highinthebooksky)
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
what can I say... this book totally surprised me
it was the second time I picked it up and well I'm glad I did

I think this trilogy has very unique elements ... like the godstones and the at the beginning chubby protagonist ...

but what I really liked in this book was how the relationships between all the characters developed and changed...

hector for instant was such a revelation for me! his relationship with elisa really made this book fun and interesting
they
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Who knew that underneath his mustache Hector was one big pile of swoon-inducing charm? (By the way, I want to thank the author for having him shave it this book, much obliged)

description

I hadn't read the first book in FOREVER. So when I got this one, I wasn't all anxious to read it. But then I read it. And I didn't put it down. And Elisa is so strong. And Hector is so sweet. And I loved loved LOVED it.

There was so much adventure. S
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I love fantasy. I loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I desperately wanted to read The Crown of Embers and be blown away, like I was with The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Was I? Oh, hells yeah. Abso-freaking-lutely, I was! It was amazing and perfect and captivating and when I was reading, the rest of the world dropped away and I had eyes only for this book. (Seriously, I looked up that first night while reading and realized that everyone in my house had already gone to bed, and it was nearing midnight. That's how fantastic this bo ...more
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
Elisa is one of my favorite heroines ever!

Just had to get that out. I did enjoy this book more than the first one, but there's still something that stops me from saying that this is a full 5 star book - more like a 4.5. I think it has to do with Rae Carson's style of writing - it's quite different from most other authors I read right now. Not in a bad way, mind, but different enough to make it a bit of a challenge to read.

This book was very politically intricate and studies what

• Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
  • Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2)
  • The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3)
  • Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)
  • The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
  • Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2)
  • The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who mu

Fire and Thorns (4 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • The Empire of Dreams (Fire and Thorns, #4)
“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.” 283 likes
“A quarterstaff is not very subtle. Or handy. If an kidnapper comes at me, what am I supposed to do? Say, 'Excuse me, my lord, while I pull my enormous quarterstaff out of my bodice?” 101 likes