The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading? June 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 2: by Kim (last edited Jun 01, 2013 06:35AM) (new)

Kim | 477 comments This month I'll be reading Among Others, Little, Big, The Dud Avocado and Grifter's Game for book clubs.

I also want to finally read Suldrun's Garden.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Doing something a little different and listening to Odd Thomas.

message 4: by Calvin (new)

Calvin Spealman | 2 comments I'm reading through Zoo City from my list of Humble Bundle books I still haven't gotten to. Really enjoying it so far, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I'll probably also pick up The Ghost Brigades, as I completely loved Old Man's War.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I took a break from 2312 to listen to Deeply Odd the last couple of days of May, so I will be going back to it today. It's really good, but it's so description heavy that I have to take breaks from it. Things have been really stressful at work the last few weeks, so I can't focus on anything dense.

I'm still reading Among Others on my Nook's Kindle app. Since I've already listened to the audiobook, it's going pretty fast.

I picked up three books at the library yesterday that I am convincing myself I will read in the next three weeks. (I don't think I've finished a paper book yet this year.) They are:

Shine Shine Shine
Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories
and
NOS4A2

message 6: by Don (new)

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6903 comments Mod
Sandi wrote: "I took a break from 2312 to listen to Deeply Odd the last couple of days of May, so I will be going back to it today. It's really good, but it's so description heavy that I have to take breaks fro..."

I've only listened to the first two Odd Thomas books. I didn't like the second as much as the first. Do they get better?

message 8: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments I will be finishing up on A Storm of Swords before moving onto Among Others.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Rob wrote: "'ve only listened to the first two Odd Thomas books. I didn't like the second as much as the first. Do they get better?"

I read them up to Odd Apocalypse in print. I thought Brother Odd was really good. Odd Hours was my least favorite. After that, they seem to be getting better.

I really like Odd's voice. He's very old-fashioned for such a young man. It cracks me up when he uses substitutes for curse words when quoting people--like replacing the f-word with fornicating. The celebrity ghosts are great too. Odd has really grown as a character over the course of the series and I really want to see what's going to happen next.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Sandi wrote: "Rob wrote: "'ve only listened to the first two Odd Thomas books. I didn't like the second as much as the first. Do they get better?"

I read them up to Odd Apocalypse in print. I thought Brother O..."

Thanks. Maybe I'll give the series another try after my Dresden reread. I got the first two audio books from the library. I'll have to see if they have any of the others.

message 11: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments My library is really good about getting Dean Koontz novels when they are released and they usually get several copies. I get the audio through Audible, so I don't know how my library does for CD's. Dean Koontz live in Orange County, so I think that's why my library always has so many copies of his books.

message 12: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Sandi wrote: "My library is really good about getting Dean Koontz novels when they are released and they usually get several copies. I get the audio through Audible, so I don't know how my library does for CD's..."

My system apparently has 11 copies of the CDs for book 3, including 1 at my local branch, so I'm good for that one at least.

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter | 142 comments reading Redshirts right now, have Washington: A Life and several others to add.

message 14: by Scott (last edited Jun 01, 2013 12:10PM) (new)

Scott | 312 comments Obviously Among Others. I never did get to Crime and Punishmentlast month so I definitely want to read it this month. If I finish those I want to get to The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings for the first time (Yeah I know -100 XP to me lol)

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments Just finished the latest Reacher, Wanted Man, in case you want to know how to have a conversation without using the letter 'A'.

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela D (funisreading) | 42 comments I just finished The Rithmatist, which was a fun book. I felt there were a few problems with the book, but overall it was an enjoyable read.

I am currently listening to Among Others and am loving it. I have about 2.5 hours left. I normally listen to my audiobooks at work, but I am going to have to find some time tomorrow to finish it up.

Is it weird that I am having a minor panic attack about trying to figure out what both my next ebook/book and audiobook will be?

message 17: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Pamela wrote: "Is it weird that I am having a minor panic attack about trying to figure out what both my next ebook/book and audiobook will be?"

I'd say no, but then again, I already have a tentative reading plan through October..

message 18: by Pamela (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:08PM) (new)

Pamela D (funisreading) | 42 comments Rob wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Is it weird that I am having a minor panic attack about trying to figure out what both my next ebook/book and audiobook will be?"

I'd say no, but then again, I already have a tentat..."

I should say that I have a list of both books and audiobooks to read; the main problem is deciding what I am in the mood for. High fantasy? Paranormal mystery? Maybe a good old Agatha Christie? Although as I write this, I think Redshirts may have jumped to the top of the line. I have been watching a lot of Star Trek recently, and this book would fit in nicely.

Edited to add:
Hold everything. I completely forgot that Abaddon's Gate comes out on Monday. I will be reading that!!!

message 19: by Nico (new)

Nico (darkybald) | 30 comments Pamela wrote: "Hold everything. I completely forgot that Abaddon's Gate comes out on Monday. I will be reading that!!! "
Strange there won't be an audiobook out for this one? I can't find anything on audible. Sad because I liked the last one.

message 20: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) Finishing up the Cadwall Chronicles with Throy first, and about time too. It's been well over 20 years since I started on the series. Going for Among Others after that.

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

If anyone planning to read Abaddon's Gate is looking to discuss it, I know some people are planning to over in my side reads group

message 22: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) Currently reading Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set

Probably be reading Abaddon's Gate and/or Joyland, since they both come out next week.

message 23: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) Rob wrote: "I'd say no, but then again, I already have a tentative reading plan through October"

Now that's organization

message 24: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Rob wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Is it weird that I am having a minor panic attack about trying to figure out what both my next ebook/book and audiobook will be?"

I'd say no, but then again, I already have a tentat..."

Wow Rob. My reading plans tend to last a day or two. I'll see something recommended here or a book will catch my eye at the library and my schedule is shot.

message 25: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Oh. I didn't say I'll stick to the plan, and a few of those books are unknown (the s&l picks each month).

Something will inevitably come along and change them. But I never find myself debating what to read next.

message 26: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Pamela wrote: "Is it weird that I am having a minor panic attack about trying to figure out what both my next ebook/book and audiobook will be?"

Not at all! I go thru the same thing primarily for the audiobook pick. I need something that will keep my attention as I can be easily distracted when listening.

message 27: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Also for my ebook I'm reading Champions of the Force

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 116 comments I'm finishing up The Giver and I just started The Shadowed Sun.

message 29: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 493 comments Pamela wrote: "Is it weird that I am having a minor panic attack about trying to figure out what both my next ebook/book and audiobook will be?"

No, it's a problem I have almost after every book I read, lol.

message 30: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I finished Among Others. It was alright. You can read my Full Review if you're so inclined.

I will be continuing with my Malazan group read of House of Chains this week. I might try to sneak in Count Zero next weekend before jumping into The Blade Itself with some friends in the middle of the month.

message 31: by Darren (new)

Darren The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, which came out of my late-to-the-party discovery of The Americans, the best spy drama since Rubicon, and then some.

message 32: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 30 comments Reading Children of Dune. Not sure yet if I will continue the Dune series or stop here.

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) Still reading Red Seas Under Red Skies. Enjoying it immensely. Glad I didn't give up after the first book, which didn't grip me quite as much.

message 34: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I wasn't feeling well this weekend so I curled up in bed with something comforting, The Belgariad.

I'm still working on Three Parts Dead and I also recently started Coldheart Canyon, which I've read before, but am rereading it with a couple of co-workers.

message 35: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Finished The Desert Spear last night. Think I'm going to knock out Catching Fire as fast as I can (cuz it's been staring at me from the corner for a while now, and my 13 year old really wants me to read it) so I can start The Alloy of Law.

message 36: by Peter (new)

Peter Kristina wrote: "Finished The Desert Spear last night. Think I'm going to knock out Catching Fire as fast as I can (cuz it's been staring at me from the corner for a while now, and my 13 year old really wants me t..."
That's just the same situation I'am in with the
The Hunger Games, but I seem to be in an obstinate mood the more she ask's the more I read other book's having just finished Magician's End I have quickly started The Boer War just to avoid those accusing stares.

message 37: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Joshua wrote: "Reading Children of Dune. Not sure yet if I will continue the Dune series or stop here."

I found God Emperor Dune to be a real drag, but you kinda need it to get the books after that, which I thought were pretty good.

message 38: by Michele (last edited Jun 03, 2013 08:32PM) (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Oh yes, God Emperor is a giant hurdle that stopped me for several years before I finally powered thru but Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune are good. I recommend NOT reading the stuff by the son, the House books were not terrible but the final 2 of the main series were such a letdown.

I just finished The Woodcutter by Kate Danley and if you like fairy tales redone for adults it was excellent. It's on sale at amazon for kindle at 1.99 and the audio 1.99 from audible with sync if you get both. Started it yesterday and finished today, just had a marathon listen/read.

I'm going to try Anathem again, only made it about halfway last time, maybe audio version will help. Also have the The Traveler to re-read because I finally got the third book but can't remember what happened in the first two.

message 39: by Janet (last edited Jun 03, 2013 03:22PM) (new)

Janet | 51 comments I got really behind on books last month so this month I'm almost finished with Return of the Crimson Guard, and then I'm working through:

The Best of All Possible Worlds
Throne of the Crescent Moon
Dead Witch Walking
Shift Omnibus Edition
Dawngleam and Other Stories
At Winter's End

Too many good books to read!

message 40: by terpkristin (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:54PM) (new)

terpkristin | 4202 comments I've decided that this week I'm not going to watch TV except what my DVR records, try to catch up a bit on my reading (not that I watch much TV but I seem to be getting sucked into NCIS reruns lately). I finished listening to The Mongoliad: Book One today while driving home from physical therapy. I'll have my full review up in a little bit, but the quick & dirty version is that it really wasn't that good, but I still want to know what happens next...

I'm going to start Among Others soon. I have the audiobook, but if that ends up not working well for me, I've also got it from last year's Hugo packet in electronic format.

I'm also reading a book written by a friend, he's asked me to provide some technical-type feedback, so no GR link (yet...maybe when/if he publishes).

message 41: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo (morcego) | 188 comments Janet wrote: "Dead Witch Walking"

Good series. If you like it, don't forget to check Moon Called and Cry Wolf, both by Patricia Briggs.

message 42: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 123 comments I am reading two books Mass Effect-Revelation and Fate of the Jedi Book 4. I was struggling to read the Star Wars Fate of the Jedi Series and so wanted to start my Mass effect book. So I have two on the go this month, but mainly just one lol. I will go back to Fate once this is finished.

message 43: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 30 comments Michele wrote: "Oh yes, God Emperor is a giant hurdle that stopped me for several years before I finally powered thru but Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune are good. I recommend NOT reading the stuff by the ..."

David Sven wrote: "Joshua wrote: "Reading Children of Dune. Not sure yet if I will continue the Dune series or stop here."

I found God Emperor Dune to be a real drag, but you kinda need it to get the books after tha..."

Thanks for the heads up. I have really enjoyed the series, so I may try to keep going. I will definitely pass on Brian's novels for now though. A lot of people have told me they are not worth reading. I probably will read them one day, though, just because I enjoy the Dune universe so much.

message 44: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I finished Summer Knight (My Review).

I'll be starting Death Masks after work as my Dresden audio re-"read" marathon continues.

message 45: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 105 comments Abaddon's Gate waiting to be downloaded on my Kindle as soon as I come home :D

message 46: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Abaddon's Gate

message 47: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2878 comments The Shining Girls is out, so everything else gets backburnered

message 48: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Starting Abaddon's Gate and still trying to read The Lies of Locke Lamora. I've never tried to juggle two books before so we'll see how this goes.

message 49: by Richard (new)

Richard I'm reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore and so far it is highly entertaining, very much the style of writing and plot I enjoy.

message 50: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Cardin | 68 comments I am over halfway through The Bridge at Ardendale by J.W. Kent a fun and bawdy low fantasy. It is making me laugh and smile all the while.

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.