Christian Teens Unite discussion

Welcome! > Random

Comments Showing 1-50 of 456 (456 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker | 344 comments Mod
Hey, so I know a lot of you are catholic, and some of you might just be interested, but I am curious to hear what your thoughts are about getting a new pope? I am not catholic, but one of the main characters in my first book is a priest. I found this whole process rather fascinating, especially historically.

message 2: by Christi (new)

Christi (trumpetchick) | 309 comments Yeah, I'm non-denominational, but there's a lot of hype right now over the new pope and it's pretty interesting.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

im babtist soooooooooooooo idk

message 4: by T.C. (new)

Ha ha, that's okay, Angel. I barely noticed when they elected the last one.

message 5: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments I would not like being a priest or what not in the Catholic world. I do want to marry and live in love. I couldn't go without loving someone in my life. Ha ha

message 6: by T.C. (new)

Oh, Cody, you need to read my book. Exactly the problem my character is having.

message 7: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Now T.C. you know I would if I could get my hands on it ha ha

message 8: by Christi (new)

Christi (trumpetchick) | 309 comments I actually would like to stay single as Paul did. But it depends on God's will, not mine.

message 9: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Why?

message 10: by Christi (new)

Christi (trumpetchick) | 309 comments I don't know, really. I just kind of desire a life of singleness.

message 11: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Interesting

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments ^^That would be when you get ordained, when you want to serve God, and remain single. You will be 'married' to the Church in that way.

message 13: by Christi (new)

Christi (trumpetchick) | 309 comments Just out of curiosity, are you Catholic, Abigail?

message 14: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments I do serve God. But God I don't think would want us to remain single to be married to the church to serve Him. God did make Adam Eve. Because Adam was lonely. I'm just voicing my opinion

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments Christi wrote: "Just out of curiosity, are you Catholic, Abigail?"

Yes, I am.

message 16: by Christi (new)

Christi (trumpetchick) | 309 comments Oh, I see. :)

message 17: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments Cody wrote: "I do serve God. But God I don't think would want us to remain single to be married to the church to serve Him. God did make Adam Eve. Because Adam was lonely. I'm just voicing my opinion"

I know, I feel the same way.. (I fully believe in true love...) But some people don't want to get married, so...

message 18: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Oh I'm not putting down the people that don't want to get married. Ha ha I was talking about me personally

message 19: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments Got it!!

message 20: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Yea :) With being Catholic what all do you do?

message 21: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments Well, I go to Church every Sunday to recieve the sacraments, which will bring you closer to Christ

message 22: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Sacraments?

message 23: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments there are 7 sacraments that you can recieve, each with its own use... Baptism, confirmation, holy Eucharist, reconciliation, holy orders, holy matrimony, anointing of the sick.

message 24: by Christi (new)

Christi (trumpetchick) | 309 comments Hey, do you think you could explain discernment to me? My friend posted a bunch of photos on Facebook and I'm really confused about it.

message 25: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Ah. I believe Catholicism is the only religion I really haven't studied much about

message 26: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments Yeah... Ever since the faith got branched off, it's really hard to know the complete history after the renaissance.

message 27: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments That is true. I would love to learn more its hard to get people to teach you if you don't dedicate your life to it

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments I used to go to a Catholic school so it was part of the curriculum as well, so it was easier for me.

message 29: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments I can see that being easier

message 30: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments :)... i still miss it sometimes.

message 31: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Awe

message 32: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments Yeah... i go to a public school now... I COMPLETE fresh start... (I didn't know anybody)

message 33: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Doing that sucks. I would know ha ha I went to public school then got homeschooled then went back to public school then homeschooled again and now I'm in college

message 34: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments wow... a lot of transitions... How's it like being homeschooled??

message 35: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments I did get to sleep in a lot and I finished all my school work in about two hours and had the rest of the day to do whatever. I was homeschooled through high school and in my JR and SR years I worked ahead and nearly finished a year early than I was suppose to

message 36: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments wow, that's amazing...

And you got to sleep in, which was privilege for sure!

message 37: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Oh yes! Now I hate getting up before 8 in the morning ha ha

message 38: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments ugh... i have to do that everyday....

message 39: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments Well since I have a job I have to get up sometimes before the sun is even up to go to work

message 40: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments that can be very painful.

message 41: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments It is. I've doing that every saturday for just about the past month

message 42: by T.C. (new)

Cody wrote: "Now T.C. you know I would if I could get my hands on it ha ha"

Ask your local library of they can carry it!

message 43: by T.C. (new)

Christi wrote: "I actually would like to stay single as Paul did. But it depends on God's will, not mine."

I have a friend who is doing that. He's 42 and pretty happy.

message 44: by Christi (new)

Christi (trumpetchick) | 309 comments That's good. :3 I can imagine it'll be hard when I'm in my 20s and I start to receive the wedding invitations and I'm the only one choosing to stay single. Heck, I even got my first wedding invitation a few months ago - it'll be the first wedding attending where only I was invited. Where I'm not going because my parents are going, but I'm going because they actually want me to.

message 45: by Cody (new)

Cody | 187 comments T.C. wrote: "Cody wrote: "Now T.C. you know I would if I could get my hands on it ha ha"

Ask your local library of they can carry it!"

I will. I have to go to the library today as is

message 46: by T.C. (new)

Christi wrote: "That's good. :3 I can imagine it'll be hard when I'm in my 20s and I start to receive the wedding invitations and I'm the only one choosing to stay single. Heck, I even got my first wedding invi..."

That's actually pretty cool. I would think deciding to stay single gives you a little relief at a wedding. You can enjoy yourself without having to worry about if you'll ever find someone to marry! All this, until they force you out onto the floor for the bouquet toss, of course.

message 47: by T.C. (new)

Abigail, I have a question for you, if you don't mind. (If you do, I completely understand if you'd rather not answer.) I am trying to understand the Catholic faith a little better, and since you attended Catholic school, you probably know better than many. How do you believe a person goes to Heaven?

message 48: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 112 comments T.C. wrote: "Abigail, I have a question for you, if you don't mind. (If you do, I completely understand if you'd rather not answer.) I am trying to understand the Catholic faith a little better, and since you ..."

Well, said person dies, at least body wise, and their soul is immediately sent to judgement before God. He will show you your life, all of it, the good and the bad. Of course everybody sins, but if you are sincerely sorry, he will know, and will send you to purgatory so your soul can be cleansed. after a long, long time, when all traces of sin has been eliminated, you will be sent to Heaven. This is why it is good to pray for the souls in purgatory, so the'r suffering will be eased.
Of course, if God doesn't deem you worthy, you go to Hell, at least until the final Redemption, when everyone is saved and redeemed.

That's what I was taught, and I think it's pretty believable, so that's what i think too.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

im lost

message 50: by T.C. (new)

Thanks for the reply, Abigail. I have heard conflicting things from different people, so I wanted to hear from someone who went to Catholic school.

Angel, you are probably lost because we as Protestants believe a little differently. We believe that it has everything to do with Jesus and nothing to do with us. We do believe, as Abigail said, that none of us is perfect, and none of us can possibly stand in the presence of a perfectly holy God on our own. Since God can't have imperfection in His Presence, all who are imperfect need to be kept away from His Presence. Therefore, death for us can only be the one place completely devoid of God's Presence, Hell. But God is so loving, He hates sending his children there. So He made a Way. The only way for us to be in His Presence is to be perfect, to be sinless. Since that is not possible for us, He sent His Son, Jesus, Who is perfect to earth to take on all of our sins and imperfections. Those sins had to be destroyed. (Before Jesus, Jewish people sacrificed animals to get rid of their sins). When Jesus, our Perfect Sacrifice, was sacrificed on the cross, he took all sins of all people, past, present, and future, and they were destroyed. Once we die, again, as Abigail said, we will immediately stand before God. If we have believed and confessed that Jesus has saved us from our sins, God will see us as He would see His Perfect Son, and we get to enjoy eternity in Heaven with God! :)

Abigail, thanks again for sharing with me. I didn't know exactly what purgatory was, or the in and out of it, or what happened there.

Interesting discussion, folks, thanks!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10