Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > katiebobus's list

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Sep 02, 2008 03:21PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 20 comments 1) The Gospel According to Jesus Christ - Jose Saramago (1/6)

2) Making Artisan Chocolates - Andrew Garrison Shotts (1/10)

3) The Stolen Child - Keith Donohue (1/12)

4) The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation - M.T. Anderson (1/13)

5) The Diaries of Adam and Eve - Mark Twain (1/16)

6) Master Georgie - Beryl Bainbridge (1/27)

7) The Keep - Jennifer Egan (2/2)

8) What I Was - Meg Rosoff (2/9)

9) Into the Wild - John Krakauer (2/15)

10) The Double - Jose Saramago (2/28)

11) Code Blue: A Katrina Physician's Memoir - Richard E. Deichmann (3/6)

12) Harriet Said... - Beryl Bainbridge (3/11)

13) A Death in Belmont - Sebastian Junger (3/16)

14) The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - Anne Fadiman (3/26)

15) Letters From the Inside - John Marsden (3/27)

16) The Upstairs Room - Johanna Reiss (3/29)

17) The Journey Back - Johanna Reiss (4/2)

18) Sister of the Bride - Beverly Cleary (4/15) (reread, and I don't want any flack for it! I was laid up)

19) A Judgement in Stone - Ruth Rendell (4/16)

20) The Effect of Living Backwards - Heidi Julavits (5/1)

21) So Much to Tell You - John Marsden (5/2)

22) The Amulet of Samarkand - Jonathan Stroud (5/10)

23) Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden (5/12)

24) I am the Cheese - Robert Cormier (5/14)

25) The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (6/6)

26) Elephant Man - Bernard Pomerance (6/12)

27) The Fasting Girl:A True Victorian Medical Mystery - Michelle Stacey (6/27)

28) Winter - John Marsden (6/29)

29) Tunes for Bears to Dance To - Robert Cormier (6/30)

30) Jim the Boy - Tony Earley (7/14)

31) The Blue Star - Tony Earley (7/17)

32) Watson's Apology - Beryl Bainbridge (8/23)

33) Dear Miffy - John Marsden (8/24)

message 2: by Kate (last edited Apr 17, 2008 01:35PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 20 comments I should also track the books I'm buying this year, because I made a resolution that I could only buy one book for every 5 I read. (There are a lot of exceptions to this rule. I can buy reference books and books written by people I know, and I can still aquire FREE books, e.g. via Bookmooch. I don't want to explode!)

BOUGHT books:

1) Chasm - Dorothea Tanning (1/12) Whoops! I owed 3 books when I bought this, so I'm already fucking up. But it was $1, at a library book sale, and I have never seen this book for sale anywhere. I was obsessed with Tanning's paintings for years and had to have this book when I saw it, even if it turns out to suck.

2) Burger Wuss - M.T. Anderson (2/1) It was only $2.98 at Half Price and I had just seen Anderson speak at the library. I really should have bought it there, where he might actually make some money off the purchase, but I did buy 2 copies of Octavian Nothing (for my mom and sister) so I felt I had fulfilled that obligation. Burger Wuss looks funny and like a really quick +1 for my 50books2008 list when I need it. Lately I haven't had much reading time between work, climbing and acquiring a wonderful boyfriend (I read The Keep in one sitting because he's out of town). I am dying to buy books (particularly "The Double" by Jose Saramago and the Dame Darcy-illustrated Jane Eyre) but am not letting myself get more than 1 book in the red, esp while I'm not reading much. Arg!

3) The Bottle Factory Outing - Beryl Bainbridge (2/9) My sister sniped the Half Price copy so when I saw this at Prospero's there was no going back.

4) The Secret Family - David Bodanis (3/25) No one EVER has this book and I loved The Secret House.

5) A book of Louisa May Alcott's more fantastical short fiction, A Whisper in the Dark. Total impulse buy, 3/27.

6) Sister of the Bride, because I was missing in it both senses. I read it in two delectable sittings while ill with some GI bug. Yay!

7) Just ordered the latest in the Me Bigfoot series by Graham Roumieu. 32% off on Amazon preorders!

message 3: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) What the hell kind of rule is that? Don't be so hard on yourself. lol

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 20 comments I think I need to make a spreadsheet of all the books I've bought and why they "don't count". Because it turns out there have been, say, a couple of those.

Most recent purchase that counted: Into Thin Air. I may have missed a few, but who's counting? Apparently not I.

message 5: by Kate (last edited Dec 29, 2008 01:58PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 20 comments 34) Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield (9/27)

35) The World I Made for Her - Thomas Moran (10/14)

36) The Rules of Survival - Nancy Werlin (10/18)

37) The Chocolate Connoisseur - Chloe Doutre-Roussel (10/19)

38) The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby (10/20)

39) The Poe Shadow (on audiobook) - Matthew Pearl (11/5)

40) Twilight - Stephanie Meyer (11/9)

41) Never Change - Elizabeth Berg (11/28)

42) It's Hard Out Here for a Shrimp - I am counting this as half a book and as the other half, my sister's novel, which, though as yet unpublished, is still a full-length novel and should count for something. In the meantime, this first, important work by Pepe the Prawn will fill in.

43) The Best School Year Ever - Barbara Robinson (12/9)

44) Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud (12/21)

message 6: by Kate (last edited Aug 12, 2009 01:24PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 20 comments Ok, here starts my 2009 list. Hopefully I'll make it to 50 this time!

1) The History of Love - Nicole Krauss (1/7)

2) The Handmaid and the Carpenter - Elizabeth Berg (1/8)

3) Mountains Beyond Mountains - Tracy Kidder (reread) (1/21)

4) Getting the Girl - Markus Zuzak (1/23)

5) The Burma Chronicles - Guy Delisle (1/25)

6) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See (2/16)

7) Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher (3/7)

8) The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield (3/9)

9) Christine Falls - Benjamin Black (3/25)

10) Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson (3/29)

11) Wonderland:A Year in the Life of an American High School - Michael Bamberger (4/2)

12) I'm counting half of Song Man and half of A Year at the Movies as one whole. (4/13)

13) The Invisible Circus - Jennifer Egan (4/18)

14) Everything Bad is Good for You - Steven Johnson (4/24)

15) And Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris (5/5)

16) The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman (5/9)

17) The Lightning Thief Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 1 - Rick Riordan (5/19)

18) The Sea of Monsters Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 2 - Rick Riordan (5/21)

19) The Lives of Christopher Chant - Diana Wynne Jones (reread 5/24)

20) The Titan's Curse Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 3 - Rick Riordan (5/27)

21) The Battle of the Labyrinth Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 4 - Rick Riordan (6/5)

22) Home Safe - Elizabeth Berg (6/13)

23) Durable Goods - Elizabeth Berg (6/28)

24) The Last Olympian Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 4 - Rick Riordan (7/2)

25) The Killer's Cousin - Nancy Werlin (7/6)

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments What did you think of this book? It is one of my all time favorite books. I handed it to my husband as soon as I finished it and then as he was reading it, I would look over his shoulder. So brutally touching. I'm interested in your reaction.

jlynn

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 20 comments I really liked it! I was confused most of the way through, yet compelled to read on. Krauss is a talented writer, and I grew attached to a few of the characters. Did your husband like it? I'm mixed on whether to recommend it to friends.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments He loved it as well (he was a Lit major so he tends to be open to different things). I also gave the book to a few friends who have also loved it. I too, was confused through most of the book though. I just loved the book.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 467 comments Hi Kate,
How was Dark Places? I have that on my TBR list.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 20 comments Melanie wrote: "Hi Kate,
How was Dark Places? I have that on my TBR list."

Hi Melanie,

I quite liked it. It was very cohesive, better than her first, and very dark, sometimes queasy-making! I had a few questions at the end but overall it was worth reading.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 467 comments Yeah, I read her first too and thought it was just okay. I'll have to give this one a try.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae (other topics)
The Chocolate Connoisseur: For Everyone With a Passion for Chocolate (other topics)
The World I Made for Her (other topics)
The Rules of Survival (other topics)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Steven Pressfield (other topics)
Nancy Werlin (other topics)
Chloe Doutre-Roussel (other topics)
Jean-Dominique Bauby (other topics)
Thomas Moran (other topics)
More...