Start by marking “Safely Home” as Want to Read:
Safely Home

Safely Home

2002 Gold Medallion Award winner! Fans of Randy Alcorn will applaud this soul-stirring story of two college friends who reconnect after twenty years. One is living life apart from God in comfortable corporate America while the other is living for Christ under intense persecution in China. This stunning page-turner will convict the hearts of readers to live in the light of ...more
Published July 27th 2001 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Safely Home, please sign up.
Jon One of the quotes in Safely Home, contains the thought "One day you will die. What are you doing today to prepare for that day?"

Where in the book is t…more

Where in the book is that found?(less)

Start your review of Safely Home
Natalie Vellacott
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've seen a number of Randy Alcorn's books around and have read a few of his non-fiction in the past, someone recommended this book which looked interesting. Alcorn's focus in most of his writing tends to be on heaven--one of his better known books is simply entitled Heaven. Although, this is fiction it deals with the same subject from a slightly different angle.

Ben (American) and Quan (Chinese) end up studying together in America and become firm friends. They have both made professions of faith
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW

Never did I think I would say "You HAVE to read this!" about a fictional book...but neither had I read Safely Home. This book is about two men who were roommates and friends in college but now are two worlds apart and haven't been in-touch for twenty years. When their paths finally cross once again they realize that they are two worlds apart spiritually speaking. As the story unfolds you find your self face-to-face with the persecuted church of China and the amazing love of a Savior and
Josh Crews
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christians, learning about persecuted church
Fiction, a story of two Harvard roommates; one American, one Chinese re-united to let Randy Alcorn spin out all this wonderful information about what God is doing in the Chinese Church (which seems to be more healthy that the American church).

I found myself refering to Jesus as "Yesu" (his Chinese name) after reading this book out of my love and awe for the Lord of the Chinese church. I wanted to follow this wonderful master after reading about his faithfulness to Chinese saints.

My copy loaned f
Kim
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Quite a powerful book and very eye opening. I kept wondering if these things are still going on today in China and other countries. It is one of those books that makes you want to take some time to look at yourself, assess your relationship with God, and make some changes.
Mariah Mead
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing read. I learnt a ton about China and the Christians there and it still didn't feel like I was reading a history book. It really made me think more about the persecution of Chinese Christians under communism, and after reading it, I felt like I knew the characters personally. This was one of those books you just can't put down, and it draws you in. I think this book is very powerful and very worth reading.
Robin Hatcher
Life changing fiction at its best.
Allison
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is one of the most impactful books I've read in my life. If you are a Christian and you read at all, or even if you don't usually read, this is one book you must read. It will challange you.
Angela R. Watts
One of the most profound books I've ever read. Eye-opening. I... can't really review it well right now. Wow.
Sarah Swann
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! This one surprised me. I wasn’t prepared for what this was. It was very difficult to read about someone basically being treated like a POW by his own government for practicing his religion. Very eye opening and lots of things I wasn’t prepared for.
Poiema
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book about 10 years ago, and have just finished reading it aloud a second time to my daughter. Generally I would only read a book twice if it were a stellar classic. I cannot say that about this book--- fine literature it is not. But it strips away my complacency on the issue of persecution of political and religious dissidents in China. It is successful in that it will not allow me to forget those imprisoned for their faith, those who desperately need to be brought before the public ...more
Charlie
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, fiction
I rarely read fiction, except for Frank Perreti books, Alcorn's book, DEADLINE, THE SHACK and this book. SAFELY HOME was very meaningful to me because I have some friends who have actually smuggled American "greenbacks" into China in money belts to help house church families whose husbands and fathers are in prison and I have heard many stories from them of the persecution of saints in China. Also, I had spent time in the military in Asia and knew of martyrs and homeless families due to Christia ...more
Dorothy Tolman
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Jamie for this book. I loved it. It was very well written and the message was beautiful. As Christians we know that in the days prior to the Second Coming of the Savior that there will be persecutions of the righteous. It helps us remember that the fight against Satan is real and that we need to be spiritually prepared for the battle as well as ready and willing to take Missionary work to all nations despite the costs.
Linda
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorite
Kindle Freebie
Wake up call to awareness of persecution of Christians in China. I enjoy Randy Alcorn’s non fiction books, Heaven is a favorite. I wasn’t sure what to expect from him with fiction, it was touching and life changing. My emotions were all over the place. Highly recommend!
Jenny
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is excellent. I had some clue what to expect from a brief previewing, but I didn't know what I was really in for. I was reluctant to bring this book to work today to finish it because I didn't want to cry in the office. I had to hold back tears so often through reading this novel, and upon reading the last few pages, I had tears streaming down my cheeks (I was alone by then!). I think more pages are dog-eared than not, actually.

I'm a Christian, but I feel like I would become one after
Hannah Mead
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Initial thoughts straight after reading this book: This book is absolutely incredible. Gah. I have no words. It's so beautiful, and heart-wrenching, and challenging and awe-inspiring. It makes me realise just how blessed I am to live in a country with very little persecution, and it made me long for heaven. Our God is powerful and mighty and so very loving above all else and he will return for his people! Come quickly Lord Jesus, come quickly...

Updated official review on the 17/02/18: This book.
Kanya
Oct 03, 2007 rated it liked it
This book was given to me as a birthday gift when I was at university (as the Brits would say), and at the time, I really loved it. It was during a time when what occupied my mind a lot was doing missions and traveling. It was very well-written and the descriptions of modern China were pretty accurate.

This book made me cry a lot, though I do realize after reading it that there was a lot of posed sentimentality in its, which makes for bad literature. This is personal to me, I know, but it made m
Ed
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Randy Alcorn is one of my favorite writers and I really enjoyed this novel of his. It mostly takes place in mainland China , or Communist China. It tells of the persecution of underground churches by the atheistic government. I used to live in Taiwan and I also understood some of the Mandarin Chinese used by the people of Taiwan and by the mainland. Mr. Alcorn mentions some the Chinese characters which brought back memories of my experience among the Chinese people. It has been more than 20 year ...more
Allison Anderson Armstrong
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I appreciated the uncomfortable focus of this book on the persecuted church. Never read a novel on this theme before and I was moved and challenged by the end to pray more for those who don't have as many freedoms as I do.
As usual, Alcorn's writing is interesting and easy to read, though at times a bit cliche. It was pointed out to me that his characterization of the Chinese isn't quite authentic, but more "American" which I could see as I listened to this story.
Michelle
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely life changing!  One you have to read before you leave this earth.  It will change the way you see things.
Kelly
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Randy Alcorn isn't the best writer, but I'll grant he's a decent storyteller. Safely Home was a quick read and held my interest (mostly); the sections told from Heaven's perspective were especially intriguing, and they got better as the book went on and were riveting toward the end (and the single section from someone in Hell's perspective was horrifyingly poignant). The subject of the persecuted church warrants attention, certainly, albeit also some leniency for literary shortcomings, not the l ...more
Danette
I did not care for the audio book reader at all. The story itself, however, is compelling. It was heart breaking to see what is going on in the persecuted church and how 'soft' the American church can be. Alcorn gives us glimpses into what could be happening in heaven while Christ's work is being carried out on earth.
Listened with my 11 yr old son, Lincoln, while driving to and from baseball practice.
2018 - A book with a two word title
AnnaScott
What do you get when you take the vice president of Getz International, who is an atheist, and drop him into rural China with his old roommate, who is a staunch Christian? In this book, we meet Ben Fielding, who from the outside has the world by the tail. He is the vice president, is on track to be CEO, and has everything that money can buy. What he also has is a divorce, a broken family, and a feeling of desperation. No matter how hard he works, he is never happy. Even when he gets the things t ...more
Posadafan
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't know this was Christian fiction when I started reading. It was just some book lying around the house; maybe someone gave it to us or left it here. The cover was very intriguing, and as a former graphic designer, I appreciate the value of a good "face."

The description (through plot lines) of religious persecution in China was really interesting - as well as shocking, maddening and depressing. The author seems to be quite educated in this realm - lots of details and history.

The story itse
Hannah
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was absolutely wonderful, and very easily one of the best "serious" fiction books I have read in a while.

I'm not going to give a whole overview because I don't want to spoil it.

While I could see some of the plot twists coming, there were others that I didn't see. The central characters were all well-rounded, and China, the government, etc. all felt very real. The contrast between the American, Ben, and the Chinese, Quan, was quite marked in mannerisms and such. I liked the contr
LeeAnn
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This novel serves as a powerful reminder that their are persecuted Christians all around the world that are suffering in prisons and in the communist communities they were born into. Being born into the United States is like winning life's lottery, and after reading this book, I feel compelled to do something for these persecuted Christians, even if it just purchasing bibles for an area that otherwise could not afford it. "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs ...more
Patti Bethea
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will give you a heart for the persecuted church everywhere. Warning - you won't be able to put this book down!
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite books I've read. I couldn't put it down and now walk away wanting to be a better person.
Gabi Sutton
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"His throne is the throne of justice. How can justice be so long postponed? His throne is also a throne of grace. The grace is not only to the persecuted, but to the persecutors".

I think the author does a great job of addressing THE question: why is there suffering if God is good? The story started a little slow, but about a fourth of the way in- it really got GOOD. I have repented of not praying for the persecuted church and am renewing my resolve to remember them and do what I can to relieve t
Bri Anderson
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5+ stars. I have taken less time to read books I have liked less. This took forever. I liked the premise, I liked the biblical accuracy. I had a hard time with how winded the story was. Instead of building up it just got boring for me. Overall I was enlightened to persecution, specifically in China, in which I knew nothing about. That was probably the most worthwhile part of reading this. The end made it a little more worth it as well, but I wish it had kept my interest better.
Melanie Mead
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book at least twice before but it moves me every time. It is a fascinating look at the situation for Christians in China as well as an inspiring story about two men whose worlds collide in their search for what really matters in life. The dialogue can sometimes be a little slow in parts but even that is filled with powerful biblical truth. I felt like I got a fascinating peek into Chinese culture too. This is a must-read that will change your perspective on our life on earth and ...more
2017 Reading Chal...: A Book That Made me Cry 1 29 Jun 29, 2015 04:04PM

• The Insanity of God: A True Story of Faith Resurrected
  • Mark of the Lion Trilogy
  • The Warrior : Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
  • Strange Fire: The Danger of Offending the Holy Spirit with Counterfeit Worship
  • Full: Food, Jesus, and the Battle for Satisfaction
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Redeeming Sex: Naked Conversations about Sexuality and Spirituality
  • An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2)
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • Made for This: 40 Days to Living Your Purpose
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
  • Blessed Child (The Caleb Books, #1)
  • The Holy War
  • Seated with Christ: Living Freely in a Culture of Comparison
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)
  • The Last Sin Eater
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim