Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2013 Challenge Archive > 2013 RT Booklovers Convention Challenge Questions/Comments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 255 (255 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Hina (last edited Feb 12, 2013 06:57AM) (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments 2013 RT BOOKLOVERS CONVENTION CHALLENGE QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

The 2013 RT Booklovers Convention is taking place in Kansas City, MO from May 1st – May 5th 2013. For those of us who can’t attend, the RRRC mods were generous enough to come up with a challenge so we can read our favorite authors and get to read new authors as well. For more information on the RT Convention, go HERE.

Duration: January 1st, 2013 – December 31st, 2013

Since the event is not till May, the list of authors attending is being constantly being updated. This pdf file is just not the only authors attending. The new authors being added are in red/italics. I will try to keep us updated on the authors attending. 2013 RT Authors Attending

UPDATED AUTHORS LIST GO TO: 2013 RT Authors Attending

♥Level 1♥
♥Read 10 books by any of the authors attending the convention.
♥At least 5 should be new to you authors

♥♥Level 2♥♥
♥Complete the criteria for Level 1
♥Additionally read 5 books by a female author and 5 books by a male author.
♥ For male authors: you can use 5 male authors, use male sounding names and/or use initials as their first names.
♥At least 5 of the books should be new to you authors

♥♥♥Level 3♥♥♥
♥Complete the criteria for Level 2
♥In honor of the pioneers of historical romance that are being honored this year at the convention who helped to put the romance genre on the map in the 1970s and 1980s. Read 10 books by the authors being honored as part of this celebration (there are currently 21).
Pioneers Authors attending so far:
Jude Deveraux
Mary Balogh
Jennifer Blake
Shirlee Busbee
Marsha Canham
Robyn Carr
Virginia Brown
Patricia Rice
Rosanne Bittner
Virginia Henley
Constance O'Banyon
Bertrice Small
Lucia St. Clair Robson
Karen Robards
Shirl Henke
Laura Parker
Bobbi Smith
Janelle Taylor
Cynthia Wright
Phoebe Conn
Julie Garwood

♥♥♥♥Level 4♥♥♥♥
♥Complete the criteria for Level 3
♥Read your way around the US States by reading a book that is set in, or by an author from each of the 50 states.
♥ In this level, readers are allowed to moved books from the previous levels read that fit the requirements, however you will have to read a replacement book for the original level before continuing your level 4 books.

Dee's Example:

So, say I need a book for Michigan for level 4, and I read a book set in/author from Michigan for Level 2 - i can move that book to Level 4, but I have to read another book that fits the Level 2 criteria before I can continue with my around the US.

States:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

**With over 300 authors attending, there are plenty to choose from, so no author repeats (although if they write under a pseudonym, you can count it as a separate author)**

♥Since this is a level built challenge, everyone will start from 1st level and you can choose how many levels you want to do or do all 4 levels. Participants can always move up a level, but you can’t go backwards.
♥For this challenge, we will update our post, instead of re-posting.
♥Re-reads and audiobooks are all ok to be read.
♥The books must have a minimum of 100 pages or at least 30k words in electronic format. The pages can be verified through multiple websites; most common would be Amazon as they are now listing approximate page numbers on many e-books.
♥If you have any questions/comments, please post them here.

Also, I just want to take the time out to thank the mods for letting me host this challenge!! Its my first time so bear with me. :)

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Hi, Hina - thanks for hosting this!

Do you have a list or link for the authors for ♥♥♥Level 3♥♥♥?

Thanks!

message 3: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3558 comments ♥♥♥Level 4♥♥♥
Read your way around the US States by reading a book that is set in, or by an author from each of the 50 states.

Do these authors have to attend the Booklovers Convention too?

message 4: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Hi, Hina - thanks for hosting this!

Do you have a list or link for the authors for ♥♥♥Level 3♥♥♥?

Thanks!"

Hi Karen, if you look at the PDF file at the end of page 2 are all the authors, and I will update the post in the participants list as well, so everyone has access to it without having to open up the file. This list also can be updated.

message 5: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Barbara ★ wrote: "♥♥♥Level 4♥♥♥
Read your way around the US States by reading a book that is set in, or by an author from each of the 50 states.

Do these authors have to attend the Booklovers Convention too?"

Hi Barbara, yes the authors have to be attending the convention. The convention has over 300+ authors attending so far and they are still adding to the list so the authors have to be out of the list of authors attending, but you can use setting of the book or where an authors is living/born in. I think it just requires planning so you are not overlapping authors since you can't have a repeat of an author.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina  | 273 comments Ok, I'm going to do this challenge because I love finding new authors.

Do you know what RT stands for? (please don't laugh at me)

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments RT is romantic times

message 8: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments Hmm. I'm tempted because I own books my several of the author listed above. But I'm in so many challenges already and trying to finish up series that I've started. Thinking.

message 9: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Barbara, Dee updated me with more clarification on level 4 that might help if you plan on doing level 4. Level 4 would be the only level where you can move books from previous levels to fit the requirement, but you would have to read another book to replace the one you moved from the previous level.

Dee's example explains it very well:

so, say I need a book for Michigan for level 4, and I read a book set in/author from Michigan for Level 2 - i can move that book to Level 4, but I have to read another book that fits the Level 2 criteria before I can continue with my around the US

message 10: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Hina wrote: "Hi Karen, if you look at the PDF file at the end of page 2 are all the authors, and I will update the post in the participants list as well, so everyone has access to it without having to open up the file. This list also can be updated. "

Thanks, Hina!

message 11: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Mary wrote: "Hmm. I'm tempted because I own books my several of the author listed above. But I'm in so many challenges already and trying to finish up series that I've started. Thinking."

Come on Mary! I know you are tempted, look at it this way you will have all of 2013 to do it. :) Yes I am an enabler.

message 12: by Juliet (new)

Juliet (jujuzz) Question, for level 1, the 10 books we read, must they be 10 different authors or is a repeat allowed?

message 13: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Ok, another question for level 3 - do the books we read have to be historical, or can they be other genres, as long as they are written by an author on the list?

message 14: by Makenzie (new)

Makenzie (makenziefay) | 496 comments My question is similar to Juliet's....but applies to Level 3. The 10 books we read by the pioneers....can the author be a repeat or do we have to read 10 books by 10 different authors?

message 15: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Juliet wrote: "Question, for level 1, the 10 books we read, must they be 10 different authors or is a repeat allowed?"

no repeats allowed, since there are enough authors to choose from.

message 16: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Ok, another question for level 3 - do the books we read have to be historical, or can they be other genres, as long as they are written by an author on the list?"

Karen, the mods didn't put a restriction that it has to be historical, but I think as long as its the author's book, it should be okay some of the authors on the list write primarily historical romance.

message 17: by Hina (last edited Dec 21, 2012 07:15PM) (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Makenzie wrote: "My question is similar to Juliet's....but applies to Level 3. The 10 books we read by the pioneers....can the author be a repeat or do we have to read 10 books by 10 different authors?"

Hi Makenzie, it should be 10 different authors, since we have 21 authors so far on the historical pioneer list, and there will probably more added to the list as they get confirmation of authors attending, so the list will be growing longer.

message 18: by Makenzie (new)

Makenzie (makenziefay) | 496 comments Hina wrote: "Makenzie wrote: "My question is similar to Juliet's....but applies to Level 3. The 10 books we read by the pioneers....can the author be a repeat or do we have to read 10 books by 10 different aut..."
Awesome. That's what I figured. Just trying to plan out some initial lists and wanted to make sure. Thanks Hina! :)

message 19: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Thanks again! :)

message 20: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments No Problem guys!!

message 21: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments For any levels, you can't repeat authors, but when you are in level 4, you have the option of moving books from level 1-3 to level 4. For example, if you read a book for level 2 and it was set in Arkansas, you can move that book to level 4 and use it for State of Arkansas, but you can't go forward in level 4, until you replace the book you moved from level 2. The beginning levels are a little easier than level 4.

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Dec 22, 2012 08:27AM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 236 comments I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for male authors, besides Jim Butcher?

I haven't read very many male authors (which is weird!). Also, if it can be an author that is easily accessible. I don't really want to buy any new books next year since my bookshelves at home are overflowing. So I would need to be able to get the book from the library.

message 23: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Sarah wrote: "I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for male authors, besides Jim Butcher?

I haven't read very many male authors (which is weird!). Also, if it can be an author that is easily a..."

Actually more male authors are cropping in romance genre than we realize but I think most still write under pseudonyms. But I think there are enough to fill the cateogy... there is Nico Rosso, you can consider, he write mostly sci-fi romance/steampunk. He is Zoe Archer's husband. I will get you more names soon.

message 24: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments C.W. Gotner - he does historical/mystery type books

Bob Mayer - has collaborated with Jennifer Cruise in Agnes and the Hitman and I love romance with humor and I can't wait to read that one.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 236 comments Oh ok! Thank you Hina! I'll check those out and see if they're available at the library.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 236 comments I tried searching for Gotner and nothing came up. Do you know any of the titles he wrote?

message 27: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments C.W. Gortner - Sorry I skipped a letter in his name.

message 28: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments There is also Damon Suede - mostly MM Romance

message 29: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Barry Eisler - mystery & thriller with romance. I am curious about his book Rain Fall but it has gotten really good reviews.

message 30: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments These are the ones I can think of write noow, but if any one also has suggestions for the list of authors attending for Sarah, please post it up and it will help others as well.

message 31: by Hina (last edited Dec 22, 2012 09:46AM) (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Sorry I will stop now I think

D.J. DeSmyter - YA - he only has one published book, and its paranormal as well.

message 32: by Juliet (new)

Juliet (jujuzz) Hina, I think you have missed me out in the participant list. I am message 24 on the participant thread but you have indicated it as Jane (PS).

message 33: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments The page won't load when I click on the link of author's attending.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 236 comments Thanks Hina, I really appreciate the help! :D

message 35: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments Mary wrote: "The page won't load when I click on the link of author's attending."

I have the same problem

message 36: by Makenzie (last edited Dec 22, 2012 01:19PM) (new)

Makenzie (makenziefay) | 496 comments Mary wrote: "The page won't load when I click on the link of author's attending."

Mary & Gea, how long did you wait? I had that problem at first. I let it load for a while. Just opened the page....walked away....checked back in 10-15 minutes and it was up.

(I hope it's ok that I answered, Hina)

message 37: by Gea (last edited Dec 22, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments A minute or two, I don't really have patience to wait that it loads up. My usual experience is if doesn't load in a minute or two it won't load at all.

I found another list on their site and I'm working with that for now.

message 38: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments Or not... I just saw it says Authors attending convention in 2012. But the original link given finally loaded and it works now :)

message 39: by Makenzie (new)

Makenzie (makenziefay) | 496 comments Oh good! I think it's just because it's a big file. I busied myself with updating other challenges, and finally checked back a while later to see it loaded. Then I saved it so I wouldn't have to do that again. :)

message 40: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments Uh oh. I found another list and used that. I don't have the patience to wait more than a min or two. A website should not take that long to load in this day and age.

message 41: by Mary C (last edited Dec 22, 2012 01:52PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments Phew. The list I used was the 2013 list. I popped right away from the website link. Didn't see so long that it would take several minutes to load.

I may have overdone it with the challenges for 2013 so I want to see what authors I have.

message 42: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Mary wrote: "Phew. The list I used was the 2013 list. I popped right away from the website link. Didn't see so long that it would take several minutes to load.

I may have overdone it with the challenges for..."

Mary, would you mind posting a link to the list you found? I'm still in the dark ages of dial-up (one of the joys of living out in the middle of nowhere) so I can't get the .pdf to load and the list I found was for 2012. Thanks! :)

message 43: by Hina (last edited Dec 22, 2012 05:46PM) (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Thanks Makenzie for answering that....that's why I put up the jpeg in message 2-4, since they open up faster and its the same list as the pdf file.

message 44: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Juliet wrote: "Hina, I think you have missed me out in the participant list. I am message 24 on the participant thread but you have indicated it as Jane (PS)."

Thanks for point it out Juliet, I will fix it.

message 45: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments Damn it was 2012 after all. At the top is says 2013 authors attending but then on the actual author list is says 2012. I really don't have the patience to wait for the other page to load. I think the authors are listed on thread for this challenge.

message 46: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments Yeah it's on the other thread for the challenge. The one where we post our books.

message 47: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Mary wrote: "Yeah it's on the other thread for the challenge. The one where we post our books."

I am glad you found it Mary...at work the links opens up fast, but when I tried it from home it was a bit slow...but I had a saved copy of it so I was able to look at the authors, but it won't work all that great saving the file since it keeps getting updated. So I thought of having the authors name listed out so it would be easier to see the authors since the file is small. I will try to keep those updated as well since I guess at work I dont have a problem opening up the pdf file at work.

message 48: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Mary wrote: "Damn it was 2012 after all. At the top is says 2013 authors attending but then on the actual author list is says 2012. I really don't have the patience to wait for the other page to load. I think..."

Ok, thanks for looking anyway - that was the same list I found. I can be very patient if I know something will load eventually (have to be with dial-up) but a lot of things just won't load at all, no matter how long I'm willing to wait. Oh, well...

message 49: by Mary C (last edited Dec 22, 2012 08:27PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments Well it was mostly the same. Actually I was able to add a lot more from my TBR with the correct list and only had to remove a couple.

I don't think I'll get past level 1. I'm not finding many male authors on the list. Not 10 that I want to read. I don't want to buy anything for this and I don't read m/m romances. I have Jim Butcher books. I know I can get David Macinnis Gill, James Rollins, Bob Mayer, Barry Eisler and A.Scott Pearson at the library but that's it.

message 50: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11000 comments I noticed the difficulty with the number of male authors signed up for the convention. We will discuss the issue and see if we can modify that requirement in some way.

Stay tuned.....we will work this out :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6