Frannie Cheska

To answer questions about Love and Other Words, please sign up.
Brittany After I read Elliot’s account of the night he was for sure. He gave no consent to Emma and his friends knew he wouldn’t willingly cheat on Macy, but did nothing to stop them from going upstairs. He had a breakdown the first time he got physically intimate with someone after that most likely due to the trauma. I’m surprised Rachel or Macy didn’t see the connection....
willaful I wonder the same thing. I don't feel like we have enough info to know.
Bari I think someone slipped something in his drink.
Eleanor Of Winterdale I thought the same thing. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I could not understand why some other reviewers saw it as Elliot cheating or a mistake. Emma took advantage of him. As someone else already said, we are not given enough information to ascertain whether Emma actually knew what she was doing and despite being aware that Elliot thought she was Macy still had sex with him, or not and Emma was so drunk that she didn't remember what she did the next day.

I loved everything about the book, but I would have liked it even more if this had been addressed. Even if Elliot couldn't consciously admit to himself that he had been raped, it is obvious that he had a trauma subconsciously which is hinted at when we are told he wasn't able to be physically intimate with anyone else for a long time and when he finally did, he had a breakdown.

I felt very sorry for him, but we were not given enough time to digest this information as Macy's story of what happened afterwards was so traumatic that it kind of eclipsed it.
JeanneMarie Credit I think he was completely and totally drunk. Yes, that would count as rape except he never said "no", because he thought it was Macy in his drunken oblivion.
Alexa Yes! As soon as I read that scene I was thinking that. I honestly probably wouldn’t have thought of it that way if I’m not in a course on sexuality as we speak where we read an article on male sexual assault. I understand why the authors might not have identified it that way because that is not the type of script we are given when viewing situations like that where the man is the victim, but if I imagine that same situation where the genders are reversed it’s clearly rape. I wish they had addressed this but like I said I understand why they did not. To me, Elliot did not cheat because he was way to drunk to consent, he literally said he woke up while Emma was going down on him, if he was a woman and she was a man this would have been immediately extremely problematic. And like other people have said, he clearly had trauma from it that the book addressed as him feeling guilty over Macy but I think was a combination of guilt, trauma and probably feeling really really confused and probably ashamed because men are not taught that they can be raped either. I like to think maybe eventually Elliot or Macy figured this out and got him some therapy (and she clearly needs therapy too for other reasons, not in a bad way therapy is great) so he can heal from that and hopefully Macy can understand that he never cheated on her and she can heal too.
Image for Love and Other Words
by Christina Lauren (Goodreads Author)