Introducing the All-New, Faster Goodreads Android App—Includes Rereads, Deals, and More

Posted by Jamay Lau on June 25, 2018
Calling all Android phone and tablet users! Our completely redesigned Android app is rolling out now and will be available to everyone within a few weeks. Every experience in the all-new app is faster and easier to use. Designed by readers for readers, it also includes new features to help you find even more books you’ll love.

Whether you want to scan covers in order to find a book quickly on Goodreads, browse personalized recommendations, or add a book you just finished reading (or rereading!) to your Reading Challenge, using Goodreads from your Android device has never been so simple, fast, or fun. The app’s fresh, new look and feel works great on tablets, too.


Emily, a Goodreads member and BookTuber, was part of our Android beta app program and loved several improvements. "I have fairly long work hours and a very long commute, so the new and improved Goodreads app is very much appreciated!” she said. "The look is cleaner, brighter, and significantly easier to navigate. Little design details, like including a progress bar for your Reading Challenge in the Quick menu and adding book covers to the Update Progress menu, pack small but mighty punches. And the speed! Improvements in speed alone have me giddy."

More Ways to Find Books...and Score a Great Deal!

Try the new Explore page, where you can browse books trending on Goodreads, new releases hot off the presses, and community-created reading lists across every genre. You can also find ebooks at up to 80 percent off—just subscribe to our Deals program to get personalized deals from your Want to Read list, favorite genres, and authors you follow.

Looking for some inspiration for your next book? Our editorial team has got you covered with articles, author essays and interviews, and roundups of the buzziest books on Goodreads.


Create a More Personalized View of Your Reading in "My Books"

We’ve improved the My Books section in several ways, including:

  • When you add a book to a shelf, you can organize it based on genre or other names (such as "adventure" or "favorites" or "book club ideas") to help you find it later.

  • From the new My Books, you can also find all of your Kindle Notes & Highlights, so you can revisit what you loved about each book and easily share some or all of your favorite highlights with friends.


Reread That Favorite Book as Many Times as You Want—Every Read Counts

Who loves reexperiencing a favorite book? We do, too, so we’ve added the ability to track your rereads in the Android app. Go to the book page to set start and end dates for books you’ve enjoyed over and over again.


Let’s Talk About Books, Baby

We believe books are even better when you talk about them with friends. Participate in the conversation, thanks to a new design that makes it easy to share your thoughts in messages, group discussions, and reviews. Now you can read all the previous messages in a thread while drafting your reply.


More Features Coming Soon!

The best part of this update is that there’s a lot more to come. We’ll keep updating and improving the app for our Android members.

I Want to Use It Now! How Do I Get It?

The app is rolling out now and will be available to everyone within a few weeks.




Check out more recent blogs:
The Best Books of the Year (So Far)
The 24 All-Time-Favorite Book Club Picks on Goodreads
Hot Reading Challenge Tips from Pros Who Read More Than 100 Books a Year

Comments Showing 1-50 of 208 (208 new)


message 1: by Vera (new)

Vera what about your apple members?


message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam Finally! The Android community has been waiting for an update for a long time. Thank you!!


message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria I've been waiting for this android update! I can't wait to get it as I just checked the Play store and they currently don't have an update listed.


message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Will you please add librarian's functions in your iOS app?


সাদমান হুসাইন Vera wrote: "what about your apple members?"

The iOS app launched a few weeks ago if I remember correctly.


message 6: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A This is good news. Will we now be able to see all of our bookshelves when using this app? That was always my complaint. I can only see the first like 20 books on the old app. If you've updated the app so Ic an see all my shelves, I'll probably use it more!!!


message 7: by Jake (new)

Jake Rheinfrank Excited to use this to update my progress on the go!


message 8: by Constantine (new)

Constantine Great job guys. I love using the app but I find myself going for the web version more due to lack of features from the app, like the inability to access lists etc. Can't wait to try it out.


message 9: by Mymymble (new)

Mymymble I don't want Goodreads to track my re-reads. Often I just look up a quote or something. Can I turn it off?
Not to mention all the books I've allegedly read twice even if DNF @ 20%. Have you solved that please before introducing innovations that made a reviewer 'giddy'. I really don't want that sensation at all.
And issuing our emails? What's happening to that?😡


Felicia (Little Prairie Library) Mymymble wrote: "I don't want Goodreads to track my re-reads. Often I just look up a quote or something. Can I turn it off?
Not to mention all the books I've allegedly read twice even if DNF @ 20%. Have you solved ..."


If you delete the read dates then it won't track it. That is a bit annoying to have to do, though.


message 11: by Joelle (new)

Joelle Montalvo I do hope we still have the quotes appear before opening the updates portion of the app :) I take screenshots and put them in my quotes to live by book (like in A Walk to Remember)


message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Maria wrote: "I've been waiting for this android update! I can't wait to get it as I just checked the Play store and they currently don't have an update listed."

They said it will be available in a few weeks


message 13: by Odette (new)

Odette Knappers I checked it out and it is amazing how much better it is! so much thanks for this! But I still have one major issue: spoilers in group discussions are removed, it says so and there is no option to reveal them.. Is this something that is going to be added? The same goes with reviews btw. This is one of the main reasons for me to not use the app but go to the website..


message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kelsey I've been using the beta for a while and it is better, thank you. The one feature it desperately, desperately, desperately needs is the ability to search ONLY the books one already has on a shelf. I keep a _library shelf, and use this to catalog books that I own. When I'm looking for books in used shops, I will search my library to see if I already have something, and which edition/ISBN it has. The iOS app does this wonderfully, as does the website. But it's still impossible via the Android app.


message 15: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A Kevin wrote: "I've been using the beta for a while and it is better, thank you. The one feature it desperately, desperately, desperately needs is the ability to search ONLY the books one already has on a shelf. ..."

So, we still can't see all of our shelves on this new app??? This is the ONE thing I've always mentioned anytime they bring out a new Android app update. I could care less about anything else really. If I'm shelving a book on my phone I can only add it to one of my exclusive shelves. It is so annoying!


message 16: by Mymymble (new)

Mymymble Felicia (Little Prairie Library) wrote: "Mymymble wrote: "I don't want Goodreads to track my re-reads. Often I just look up a quote or something. Can I turn it off?
Not to mention all the books I've allegedly read twice even if DNF @ 20%...."


😕 I don't know how to do that on Kindle.


message 17: by Emily J M (new)

Emily J M This sounds amazing, would love to see these features on an iOS update!!!


message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica Rodriguez Lynsey A wrote: "This is good news. Will we now be able to see all of our bookshelves when using this app? That was always my complaint. I can only see the first like 20 books on the old app. If you've updated the ..."

Lynsey, sorry to say I don't think so. I've been using the beta app and I still only see about half my shelves, just like with the old app. I do have a lot of shelves, but I've never seen a limit posted so I don't know why they can't fix this.


message 19: by Jamay, Goodreads employee (last edited Jun 25, 2018 02:25PM) (new)

Jamay Lau Vera wrote: "what about your apple members?"

We will release regular updates to both the iOS and Android apps.

Maria wrote: "I've been waiting for this android update! I can't wait to get it as I just checked the Play store and they currently don't have an update listed."

We’re rolling the app out now — it should be available to everyone within a few weeks.

Patrick wrote: "Will you please add librarian's functions in your iOS app?"

Patrick, we hope to be able to add features for librarians in the future. The best part of this update is it enables us to release improvements to the app more regularly!

Lynsey wrote: "This is good news. Will we now be able to see all of our bookshelves when using this app? That was always my complaint. I can only see the first like 20 books on the old app. If you've updated the app so Ic an see all my shelves, I'll probably use it more!!!"

Lynsey, you should be able to see all of your shelves in the app by tapping "See All" from My Books. If you are missing shelves, please contact us.

Mymymble wrote: "I don't want Goodreads to track my re-reads. Often I just look up a quote or something. Can I turn it off? Not to mention all the books I've allegedly read twice even if DNF @ 20%."

Mymymble, you don’t have have to track your re-reads, and if you see erroneous reading sessions, you can edit or delete them from the book page.

Odette wrote: "I checked it out and it is amazing how much better it is! so much thanks for this! But I still have one major issue: spoilers in group discussions are removed, it says so and there is no option to reveal them.. Is this something that is going to be added? The same goes with reviews btw. This is one of the main reasons for me to not use the app but go to the website.."

Odette, we hope to improve the way we handle spoilers in the future. The best part of this update is it enables us to release improvements to the app more regularly!

Kevin wrote: "I've been using the beta for a while and it is better, thank you. The one feature it desperately, desperately, desperately needs is the ability to search ONLY the books one already has on a shelf. I keep a _library shelf, and use this to catalog books that I own. When I'm looking for books in used shops, I will search my library to see if I already have something, and which edition/ISBN it has. The iOS app does this wonderfully, as does the website. But it's still impossible via the Android app."

Kevin, we hope to add the ability to search your shelves in the future. The best part of this update is it enables us to release improvements to the app more regularly!

Monica wrote: "Lynsey, sorry to say I don't think so. I've been using the beta app and I still only see about half my shelves, just like with the old app. I do have a lot of shelves, but I've never seen a limit posted so I don't know why they can't fix this."

Monica, you should be able to tap “See All” from My Books to see all your shelves. If you are missing shelves, please contact us.


Sera ~ Catty Reader Jamay wrote: "Vera wrote: "what about your apple members?"

We will release regular updates to both the iOS and Android apps.

Maria wrote: "I've been waiting for this android update! I can't wait to get it as ..."


Jamay.. Just a thought.. Is it possible for staff members to post with a different message color here too? (like in the feedback group). It looks like your post is from just a regular member. It would make it stand out more if the bar with your name in it was a different color than the normal posts.


message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina I tried using the Beta but unable to login my account. It's either my password or the captcha is incorrect. I hope this is much faster than the older one. Please allow us to share the books we read on Twitter using this tool. Also, to allow us to modify our books (reading, currently reading, date read, book progress) the way we do here on your website. Thanks.


message 22: by André (new)

André Oliveira OMG YES


message 23: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs Does it show details in profiles or do we still have to go to the desktop site to see them? That's my main annoyance and why I use the desktop site.


message 24: by Emily, Goodreads employee (new)

Emily Sera ~ Catty Reader wrote: "Jamay.. Just a thought.. Is it possible for staff members to post with a different message color here too? (like in the feedback group). It looks like your post is from just a regular member. It would make it stand out more if the bar with your name in it was a different color than the normal posts."

Good callout, Sera! We'll get that fixed.


message 25: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs Emily wrote: "Sera ~ Catty Reader wrote: "Jamay.. Just a thought.. Is it possible for staff members to post with a different message color here too? (like in the feedback group). It looks like your post is from ..."

Hi Emily, could you please let me know if you can see profiles or you still have to go to the desktop for that?


message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Vera wrote: "what about your apple members?"
They just got an update a few months ago.


message 27: by Jamay, Goodreads employee (last edited Jun 25, 2018 05:05PM) (new)

Jamay Lau Tina wrote: "I tried using the Beta but unable to login my account. It's either my password or the captcha is incorrect. I hope this is much faster than the older one. Please allow us to share the books we read..."

Tina, is it possible you were logging in with a non-primary email address? Right now, the app only supports logging in with your primary email address. If you continue to have trouble logging in, please contact us.

Petra X wrote: "Hi Emily, could you please let me know if you can see profiles or you still have to go to the desktop for that?"

Petra - yes, you can see profiles in the app.


message 28: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Åsgård Constantine wrote: "Great job guys. I love using the app but I find myself going for the web version more due to lack of features from the app, like the inability to access lists etc. Can't wait to try it out."

Same here!


message 29: by Ana (new)

Ana Vizentim Finally!!!! I've been waiting for this android update!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!


message 30: by Joshua (new)

Joshua When should you all release this for the IOS? I cannot bear to use this app anymore for some reason, it's way too slow and buggy.


message 31: by Fabiano (new)

Fabiano Finally an app that looks good.
I had given up the app in favor of using it directly off the site. Even the mobile site was quite better.
Now you got me interested in having a GR app again.


message 32: by Justine (new)

Justine I really hope you can edit comments and add book links in comments and reviews. Those are the two reasons I end up shifting to the web version on my phone.


message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara Monahan Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't appear as though the feature to switch editions of a book has been added to the app yet. It's the one thing that keeps me from using the app and forces me to use Goodreads directly in my browser.


message 34: by Suz (new)

Suz I do hope that the inclusion of "deals" on the app doesn't mean that the app is going to be just another marketing tool. The marketing disguised as "recommendations" is already at a distracting level on Goodreads, an app that does it as much would be worthless to me.


message 35: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs Jamay wrote: "yes, you can see profiles in the app ..."

That's great, thanks very much :-)


message 36: by Alex (new)

Alex Vera wrote: "what about your apple members?"

This release is for the rest of the world to catch up with the ios release.


message 37: by Nessa (last edited Jun 25, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

Nessa God is real, I'd lost hope we'd ever get a decent release for Android considering we've been in the dark ages for years now. Glad to see GR listened to fans and has released a new update for us, at long last. Really eager to test it out and experience it for myself when it's finally released woot!


message 38: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cheesygiraffe) Sara wrote: "Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't appear as though the feature to switch editions of a book has been added to the app yet. It's the one thing that keeps me from using the app and forces me to..."

Exactly why I don't use it. Please add this to the next update.


message 39: by Chantaal (last edited Jun 25, 2018 09:34PM) (new)

Chantaal I've been using the beta for a little bit and I love the updates. Finally the app is usable for Android!

(And I have to say, what a wild turn of events for iOS users to be the ones asking "what about us?" now.)


message 40: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Toponce Vera wrote: "what about your apple members?"

You mean the update they pushed out on March 20, 2018?

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...


message 41: by Noirfifre (new)

Noirfifre Hmmm.Maybe I will 're-download' the app. I got rid of the app because I thought the features limited. I would simply log in on a Web browser on my phone because I rather the desktop view.


Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy I reinstalled the app on my phone and to be honest, it doesn't seem any better than before. When I open my notifications and try and click on the link to my review to see people's comments I still get the same error message. Such a shame because I used to love the IOS app when I had an iPhone but the andriod app is lightyears behind. It's so frustrating.

If anyone knows how to get rid of the error message, let me know! :(


message 43: by Tina (new)

Tina Jamay wrote: "Tina wrote: "I tried using the Beta but unable to login my account. It's either my password or the captcha is incorrect. I hope this is much faster than the older one. Please allow us to share the ..."

How can I check if my email is a primary or not?


message 44: by Natsumi (last edited Jun 26, 2018 12:59AM) (new)

Natsumi Raimon I think that both in the website and in the android/ios app there's a single feature, very useful, a bit obvious, that's still missing: could you add in the central "search bar" besides authors and books also the opportunity to search for people and users?
Because every time that I'm trying to find a friend's profile I have to enter in the friend section and do it from there, I just think it would be faster and simpler to use the search bar as a complete system of search (for people, book, authors, lists, communities ecc..)


message 45: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Good god, I hope all the features from the desktop site are present in this update. The site is pretty much unusable in app or mobile web form, and desktop mode on a mobile browser is incredibly frustrating. Here's hoping it's not just a few minor tweaks and aesthetic changes...


message 46: by Giorgia (new)

Giorgia Tamburello There are really some great features here, hope to see them soon in the iOS app (and maybe with the add of the quizzes section that is on the website and also of a language filter in the reviews sections? So that we can access to the reviews written in our language


message 47: by Azrah (new)

Azrah thank goodness, the app used to suck.


message 48: by David (new)

David Been using the beta app for a while now. It's definitely a huge improvement.


message 49: by Vale76 (new)

Vale76 What a shame that update is not available as a stable realease in italian Google Play yet.... in order to taste the new features one can just go with the beta realease....


message 50: by Jaclyn, Goodreads employee (new)

Jaclyn Woods Gemma ♕ BunksMcCoy wrote: "I reinstalled the app on my phone and to be honest, it doesn't seem any better than before. When I open my notifications and try and click on the link to my review to see people's comments I still ..."

Gemma, can you please try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

Tina wrote: "How can I check if my email is a primary or not?

Feel welcome to email us at support (at) goodreads (dot) com!

Natsumi wrote: "could you add in the central "search bar" besides authors and books also the opportunity to search for people and users?"

Thanks for your feedback! We'll make sure the team knows you're asking for this feature.


« previous 1 3 4 5
back to top