Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > What's the best interracial book you've read recently?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
I read two good ones fairly recently (in the past few months):

Moon Dravian's Seer by Selena Illyria BWWM (very imaginative dark fantasy with a sword and sorceror feel. Reminded me of the Conan stories).
Red Skies at Night by Shara Azod BWWM (great short story about a couple in the Navy).

message 2: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6568 comments Mod
I'm looking to read another BWWM story. Any suggestions.

For the ones that don't know. I am not into vampire, paranormal, time travel, werewolf, etc. stories. Strickly humans and no erotic stories. I do read sex scenes, but I don't care for detailed sex.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Arch wrote: "I'm looking to read another BWWM story. Any suggestions.

For the ones that don't know. I am not into vampire, paranormal, time travel, werewolf, etc. stories. Strickly humans and no erotic stor..."

I can understand not liking certain genres. I am crazy about paranormal lately. I blame Sherrilyn Kenyon for getting me addicted to it.

message 4: by Arch , Mod (new)

I think there should be a interracial BWWM book, where the woman is protecting the man. She's the bodyguard. Kool!

message 5: by Caylah (new)

Caylah | 11 comments Well for me the book i read was Summer Storm The Talisman and The taming of Serge Dumont.. all by Marilyn Lee.. I tell yah.. SMH.. u just dont know!

All 3 were marvelous.. Summer Storm Contemporary
The Talisman-Paranormal
Taming of Serge Dumont-Vampire

Great reads..

message 6: by Arch , Mod (new)

I have to see if my library carries Summer Storm. I'm a Contemporary reader.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Arch wrote: "I think there should be a interracial BWWM book, where the woman is protecting the man. She's the bodyguard. Kool!"

You should write it, Arch.

message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "
You should write it, Arch."

Me?

message 9: by Caylah (new)

Caylah | 11 comments Arch wrote: "I have to see if my library carries Summer Storm. I'm a Contemporary reader. "

Summer Storm only comes in Ebook.. so you have to look for an ebook if they do carry this novel.

Its very hot and heavy..

message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

Caylah wrote: "
Summer Storm only comes in Ebook.. so you have to look for an ebook if they do carry this novel.

It..."

My library carries ebooks. If the sex is detailed, then it's not the book for me.

message 11: by Caylah (new)

Caylah | 11 comments Arch wrote: "Caylah wrote: "

It..."

My library carries ebooks. If the sex is detailed, then it's not the b..."

Its not the book for you... cause its detailed.. and i mean DETAILED!

Sorry

message 12: by Arch , Mod (new)

Caylah wrote: "Its not the book for you... cause its detailed.. and i mean DETAILED!"

Thanks.

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Arch wrote: "Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "
You should write it, Arch."

Me?

"

Sure. Why not!!!

message 14: by Arch , Mod (new)

Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "Sure. Why not!!!"

I might write a bodyguard story, after I finish Destiny. I think I would name the story, His Bodyguard.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Sounds good!

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

I hope that I can pull "His Bodyguard" off. A woman protecting a man? :)

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Why not? As long as the hero has his strengths and is a three dimensional character.

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

The hero will not be a weakling.

message 19: by new_user (last edited Jan 30, 2009 03:46PM) (new)

new_user Hi, ladies! I kind of stumbled on this group. Am looking forward to some great suggestions! :)

I think the best I've read recently has been
Mine to Possess, a paranormal. I haven't come across many interracial books lately.

For erotica, I recommend Kimberly Kaye Terry. She writes some hawt stuff, LOL.

message 20: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Arch wrote: "I'm looking to read another BWWM story. Any suggestions.

For the ones that don't know. I am not into vampire, paranormal, time travel, werewolf, etc. stories. Strickly humans and no erotic stor..."

Hey Arch, I read this contemporary called Worth Her Wait by Layne Blacque. Great short novella that sorta reads like a novel. It's in ebook format from The Wild Rose Press if you want to check it out.

message 21: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Hey new user, I'll have to check out Mine to Possess. I keep hearing good things about Nalini Singh. :-)

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

Thanks Rae.

message 23: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Np! Let me know what you think. :-D

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

new_user wrote: "Hi, ladies! I kind of stumbled on this group. Am looking forward to some great suggestions! :)

I think the best I've read recently has been
[b:Mine to Possess|1830755|Mine to Possess (Psy-Changel..."

Hey New_User. So happy to see you here. I love the Nalini Singh books. My favorite so far is Hostage to Pleasure.

I just read Taken by Storm by Marie Rochelle. I really enjoyed it. Lots of emotional angst with the HEA (my favorite type of romance).

message 25: by new_user (last edited Feb 05, 2009 03:53PM) (new)

new_user Hope you enjoy her books, Rae! I think she's definitely worth a read. :)

Thanks, Danielle. I plan to read Hostage soon. Is Taken by Storm a suspense? I'd love to see more interracial in PNR.

message 26: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'll love to see more interracial in print.

message 27: by new_user (new)

new_user Sorry, I forget myself sometimes, Arch. PNR = paranormal romance. :)

message 28: by Arch , Mod (new)

Hey New_User, I know what you've meant.

I want to see more interracial books in print. There are so many interracial ebooks. We need more in print.

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, yes, I agree.

message 30: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Feb 06, 2009 03:09AM) (new)

Arch wrote: "I'll love to see more interracial in print. "

I second that :-)

I'd love to see more IR in the mainstream, too (even though it's a bit of a long shot but one can dream). Like real romance stories. Most new IR I keep coming across is erotica both digital and in print but I don't really like erotica. :-/

message 31: by Arch , Mod (new)

Rae wrote:

I'd love to see more IR in the mainstream, too (even though it's a bit of a long shot but one can dream). Like real ro..."

Yes, I want romance. Whatever happend to that. I don't care for that erotic stuff. Sex doesn't sell this way.

I love tension. I love the get in your face and tell you wants on the mind. Of course, in a loving way.

Sex doesn't equal a HEA. I want to see where the hero and heroine get to know one another. Not be in the bed, every other page.

message 32: by new_user (last edited Feb 06, 2009 07:58AM) (new)

new_user Yeah, I agree, Rae. It would be nice to see more in the mainstream. How about some creativity? I guess some people still can't relate.

I also prefer mainstream romance over erotica, not because I don't like the bedroom scenes (that's life, it's kind of silly to write around it, at this age) but because I like a full story too, preferably an action one. :)

message 33: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I was thinking posting on the Harlequin suggestion boards to either open up an IR line kinda like the AA Kimani line or something. I don't know if it'll work because our reader representation is a lil slim over on the boards. Although I did see one aspiring author asking about an IR story she wanted to submit (I wanted to read that, too). Not sure if it'll work but I'm doing my best to voice such an opinion on the reader's panel.

If you guys want to have your say, I suggest joining the panel. They send free books to get your opinion on them and the lines.

message 34: by new_user (last edited Feb 10, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

new_user Hm, that's an idea. The problem is striking a balance, I think. I don't necessarily want to read a book where the defining element is the fact the characters are interracial. (That might appeal to contemporary readers, but that's a narrow market. I can't see that appealing to publishers or many readers.) I think there's an audience for suspense and paranormal too.

But I would rather the race is not entirely negligible either-- I understand color-blindness and the rest, but the reality is, experiences and cultures can be different across members of different races (and ethnicities, I would love to see this!) It'd be nice to see that reflected in novels. I mean, I haven't missed anything, have I? We don't magically live in a utopia? LOL. I'm of the mind you learn more in experiencing stuff outside your bubble, so I think IR books can only help people (especially some really insulated people), or at least start some conversations.

Anyone reading romance novels would imagine that we live in either a black or white world, with the exception of some Native Americans here and there.

Some might say that's too much to ask of romance, but romance started with greats like Pride and Prejudice, right?

message 35: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

That's a good point, new user. I think that angle would be more powerful than just stating IR and gain the eye of a more broader audience.

I do hope HQN and other big publishers don't mistake the cultural aspect as in "we already have presents with the Greek Billionaire, Sheikh, Italian CEO, French yadda yadda". All those are fabulous but there's nothing wrong with exploring local cultures here as well among different ethnicities.

There's a new romantic suspense IR book that I'm grabbing (woo hoo!) from HQN that deals with this cultural difference along with a suspense and a paranormal element. All those are right up my alley. I haven't read the book yet but I would love to see more of that where it's showcasing different kinds of relationships among different cultures of men and women in various romantic subgenres. The problem is how to get the word out to the powers that be.

It'd be nice if we lived in that utopia though. Where can I sign up for that trip? lol

message 36: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, still searching. But that IR book does sound interesting. Is it released yet?

I think that HQ kind of leads the industry, so it would be nice to see them encourage this. And I can't agree with you enough about the "Greek Billionaire, Sheikh Romance," etc. I don't even class those as intercultural books because there's no culture in them, just stereotypes. I'm with you. When I read an IR book, I'd like to see the author approach it with some respect and genuine effort (aka research).

message 37: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

So true indeed! They keep churning them out like candy. I would definitely see the latter as you described.

Oh yes, that book is called Scandal in Copper Lake by Marilyn Pappano ~ http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60...

The cover surprised me because usually one is in the shadows lol.

message 38: by new_user (last edited Feb 10, 2009 04:12PM) (new)

new_user Thanks, Rae, I've put her on my TBR list. That should be interesting to read.

And you're right, the covers usually are like that, LOL. Interesting trend, isn't it?

message 39: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Feb 10, 2009 04:38PM) (new)

Great! And you're very welcome! Would like to know your thoughts on it. :-)

Yup interesting indeed! Lol

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

new_user wrote: "Hope you enjoy her books, Rae! I think she's definitely worth a read. :)

Thanks, Danielle. I plan to read Hostage soon. Is Taken by Storm a suspense? I'd love to see more interracial in PNR."

It's more of a straight romance. I'd love to see more paranormal interracial too. There are quite a few ebooks. They are more erotic though.

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Rae wrote: "Arch wrote: "I'll love to see more interracial in print. "

I'd love to see more IR in the mainstream, too (even though it's a bit of a long shot but one can dream). Like real ro..."

I'm not much of an erotic fan either. I like sensual romance, but the emphasis is on the romance. I think some of the more erotic stuff has lost the romance.

message 42: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Rae wrote: "I was thinking posting on the Harlequin suggestion boards to either open up an IR line kinda like the AA Kimani line or something. I don't know if it'll work because our reader representation is a ..."

It's been my intention to join the Tell Harlequin panel as you suggested. I need to do that now. I spend lots of money on those books. I'd like to read more of the books I like instead of sifting through to find the gems.

message 43: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "I'm not much of an erotic fan either. I like sensual romance, but the emphasis is on the romance. I think some of the more erotic stuff has lost the romance.
"

I agree, Danielle. I prefer sensual romance as well. The stories don't forget the tension and does focus more on the romance between the hero and heroine.

message 44: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "It's been my intention to join the Tell Harlequin panel as you suggested. I need to do that now. I spend lots of money on those books. I'd like to read more of the books I like instead of sifting through to find the gems."

Oh, definitely. And you should have your voice heard as well for how they can better their lines and books. They do seem to listen to their reader's feedback which is pretty cool.

Don't forget about the 16 free ebooks for their 60th anniversary in case you missed it. There's also a link to the reader panel there if you need it.

http://www.harlequincelebrates.com

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Thanks Rae, for the link.

message 46: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Yw :-)

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I joined Tell Harlequin, so we'll see how this goes. :)

message 48: by Arch , Mod (new)

I read them as well. I will have to join Tell Harlequin too.

message 49: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Awesome. Let me know what you think.

Arch, you should definitely join, too. :-)

message 50: by Arch , Mod (new)

I will.

« previous 1 3 4