Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 287 (287 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments This is an off topic say whatever when your totally bored wanna talk about the news whatever is bothering you or what's on your mind at the time. Like when you read a post and wanna chit chat? Say it here!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments So anyway I am sitting here watching TRANSFORMERS for the nth time b/c I love the movie and Shia Labeouf is so cute. I think if he got just a tad more meat on his bones he be a super hottie. He is legal now I can so molest him in my fantasy =).

message 3: by Jodz (new)

Jodz (jodz87) Lol, I love transformers too! And I agree Shia Labeouf very cute. I can't wait to see the next one in June I don't know who is more excited Me or my son lol.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Jodz: I watched TRANSFORMERS as a kid. I don't know why I got into a car cartoon but I did. Then I watched the new one on cartoon network. But it comes on like at 5 am, so I don't catch that often. My sis (she's 16) and I both Love Shia and the Transformers movie.

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, he's a pretty good actor, and I've always liked Transformers too. I'm looking forward to the second one coming out.

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments I really liked the movie. Though being a Transformers fan way before the movie I was super disappointed with a couple things.

First I didn't like how they made Megatron look.. and I didnt like how little arguing Megatraon and Starscream did. Because they ALWAYS argued in the cartoons! It was like their signature thing!

I also didnt like how little they even showed Starscream.

That said, it was a good movie regardless. :) I just have to nitpick because I have always been a huge fan.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user I liked the cartoons where they took on animal robot shapes, LOL. Did you watch those, Tricia?

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Ya lol I am not sure there is a transformer cartoon that I havent seen. Except some of the new 90s ones.

The original transformers were all vehicles. Then they added the Dinobots to the mix, which transformed into dinosaurs and acted sorta stupid.. but were good guys.
With the Dinobots also came the Constructicons, which transformed into construction equipment and were the bad guys.

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, I liked the ones where they were like cheetah, bird, and so on. I have to say, I really liked the cars in the movie and their "personalities". When I was a kid, I always used to make believe my little Hot Wheels had personalities and lives, LOL.

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Oh those were little cassette tapes that went into Soundwave.

They were called Decepticon spy cassettes: Ravage, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Ratbat, Rumble, Frenzy, Slugfest, Overkill, Squawktalk, and Beastbox.

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, cool, I never knew that. Is that how they got their different forms? Beast Machines, that was the name of the installment that I used to love. I never knew it was based on comics either. Hm, I wonder if I could read those for class. (The theme for my English course is comics, how fun is that? I had no idea before we started.)

message 12: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments In the 90's they changed the transformers so much that I stopped watching them. And I think the new transformers were called Beast Wars.

I like classic trasformers over all :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Classic cartoons period. Thunder cats He-man. I can't remember much more than liking, watching and role-playing. But I got Thundercats on DVD and thought wow I used to LOVE this, haha. I want to get He-man and perhaps my fave 80's shows like Small Wonder and Out of the is World.

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments I loved He-Man and Thundercats! (SNAAAARF!!).

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 19, 2009 02:10PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments How about Voltron and Macross? I have such a big crush on Lieutenant Ricky Hunter, that I tried not to miss any episodes.

Those were my fave cartoons when I was growing up. Anybody in the group that is familiar with them? Just curious.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments HAHAHAHA! Yup! I Swear I must have watched like 10 eps. in a row! HAHAHA!

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments VOLTRON!!! Oh oh the memories :D

message 18: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Oh yes...with its signature music and the intro phrase..Defender of the Universe. I prefer the original one..the Lions team..lead by Captain Keith...wasn't he a cutie?..LOL...

message 19: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Oddly enough I did also have a crush on them too! How funny is that haha.
Its the reason I watched the show lol.

message 20: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL...aren't they cute with those spiky hair and huge eyes?...plus of course, they are pretty alpha being leaders in their own right...LOL...that is basically one of the major reason I watched those shows..LOL

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I didn't remember Voltron. I even looked it up and still don't remember. I did watch my little pony and strawberry shortcake and some other nick and Disney toons. so it could have come on during those times and I missed it =P

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I didn't grow up here in the States, so I don't know if that was shown here...but since Tricia seems familiar with it...

You can google it..and see if the images will jog your memory..

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: I check Wikip and the character on there was not familiar but I now know i am a Japanese cartoon import fan!

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user She-Ra, Thundercats, Voltron, Ronin Warriors, Swat Kats, LOL. All the imports.

message 25: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments I watched She-Ra also lol Even Gem! /embarassed

But ya Voltron was definately aired in the states as I watched it alot.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Oh, you do not need to be embarrassed for watching Jem. Wave that flag proudly! (I do.) :)

message 27: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jan 19, 2009 06:15PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) LOL You are embarassed by liking Jem try having to be Snarf everytime you and your cousins played Thundercats and I had a Jem doll.

message 28: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments hehehe I LOVED Jem (guess I had it spelled wrong hehe)

And I loved snarf! :)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Gotta love the 80's

message 30: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments God I am so stuck in the 80s, especially where music is involved LOL.

I love my hair bands now!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) please my friend and I talk bout the 80's all the time from cartoons, to music to TV shows. I wished they made an all 80's station.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I had a Jem doll too. I hated that she was so big and couldn't fit my other doll's clothes,lol.

I do believe the 80's were the best right after disco right before slackers.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I was talking to Yz about covers. You know the kissing "tease" some covers have. Or couples embracing?

Do you have a fave erotic cover style?

I like cowboys. No shirt (or open shirt and jeans or course.For full body shots

Hat tilted just showing the lips and jaw. Goodness! I love that pose. Up close.

message 34: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I remember seeing the anthology Manaconda for the first time and my eyeballs almost popped out of my head LOL I regularly order e-books from Elloras Cave so I've obviously gotten over it in a hurry.

Hmm, fav erotic cover style...If it's a cowboy I want to see a rope and a hat (maybe chaps heh), if it's a detective/cop then I want to see handcuffs. Err and chest partially covered by a leather jacket. And not so much of the face showing - I want to make that bit up myself. The idea is he could be any man I meet. Obviously, he's not but he could be. Tantalising thought. Goshness, don't ask for much eh?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments tosca: i like your imagination =)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ok quick question. Since starting PNR/UF, Do you find yourself wanting to read more steamier books than before?

message 37: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Hmm I dont Jael.. I just dont like the *norm* anymore.

I started out a long time ago with historical romance and I really cant get into those anymore.. no matter how steamy.

For me its the weirdness and what they can come up with next as far as villains and powers and all sorts of weird stuff that has to keep my attention.

message 38: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Jael wrote: "Ok quick question. Since starting PNR/UF, Do you find yourself wanting to read more steamier books than before?"

I wouldn't say that the PNR/UF genre introduced me to sexy writing. Even when I was reading contemporary and historicals, I enjoy well-written erotic scenes. I was a great fan of Susan Johnson's books, and she can write pretty graphic scenes.

However, the variety of erotic fiction available has increased quite dramatically, and isn't it fun to explore more unconventional relationships instead of the standard h/h fare? I will always prefer a hero/heroine dynamic but I don't mind expanding my reading horizons by reading something that is not always the norm.

message 39: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jan 23, 2009 04:31PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I guess that makes since for people who have been reading romance for awhile but I never liked romance until Twilight. Now I find myself not only reading books with romance but if it doesn't have a hot steamy scene I feel cheated lol.

message 40: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Twilight was a sweet story, but for some of us, it was pretty tame. I do give it credit that due to its popularity it has encourage new readers to explore the genre more and discover new books and new writers.

LOL..as for expecting steamier scenes, there are plenty of good writers out there that can really pen a sizzling scene..

message 41: by new_user (last edited Jan 23, 2009 07:28PM) (new)

new_user *pushes Susan Johnson to the top of the list* LOL. Hot scenes + historical = the best formula ever. LOL.

Hm, for me, I kind of stumbled on erotica and I think once you're exposed to a certain, er, level of heat it's a little difficult to be satisfied with a kiss or two. Everyone may not fall face-first into erotic romance as I did, but the more you read in the romance genre the more variety you see and you start to get a taste of your preferences and whatnot. You get picky, basically, LOL. It's also as Yz said, there's more available now that it's more popular.

Now I read more mainstream because I like a lot of suspense alongside the romance, but I think I wasn't really as interested in romance until I came across some romantic spicier scenes, which I would now probably consider tame, LOL.

message 42: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments New_User,

Try Susan Johnson's earlier works, like her Braddock/Black series, St. John/Duras series and her Kuzan series. Great characters and highly steamy scenes.

I'm pretty much a romance genre babe, so jumping towards erotica is not a far leap. I have to admit there is probably no writing that will shock me, and i will usually read anything at least once, although after a while you get picky and you pick writers whose style you enjoy.

message 43: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, same, nothing shocks me anymore, LOL. *chucks standalone* Series is cool with me. Kuzan = Russian, right? I'm tempted to try that one first. Are there big differences between them?

message 44: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Yes Kuzan is Russian. It's been a long time, since I've read them, but what I can remember they were pretty distinct from each other.

message 45: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Want to share a link that Kenjii put me on to. It's from Amazon's romance forum and is a list of your darned hated certain phrases. In context a lot of the phrases make sense (I guess) but take them out and ohmygoshness. Needless to say I spent most of yesterday afternoon laughing myself stupid and didn't get any work done whatsoever. Couldn't stop snorting and choking and then had to cover it up because ppl kept asking if I was ill. Is hilarity a disease??

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments tosca: told ya so =D that thread is linked to so i get emails whenever new ones are posted.

message 47: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I found a link to a romantic satire called The Italian Baby-Food-Gourmet Baron's Ironically Pregnant Virgin Mistress which is a total hoot! It's like a combination of every single one of those phrases from above. One of my fav lines is 'She'd had sex! With a man! How could anyone trust two innocent babies to the care of a woman who had done such a thing?'

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I had never considered myself a romance fan until I accidentally read a romance suspense and was hooked from there. I ordered an HQN and got the Super romance special offer 2 for free. I had those coming for about 4 months before I realized it wouldn't be worth ordering because they were just piling up.

In between romance suspense and super romance (which are like home and family romance) I found PNR. Which was right up my alley b/c I am a HUGE sci-fi fantasy movie freak. So reading something like PNR was more interesting than the sci-fi/fanasy novels I had tried.

Recently I had posted in a group asking members the fascination with women reading m/m romance and got some really good, honest answers. For me, I just read a few books and found that with as with any romance it's about good character development and the build-up to the love scene after the characters have perhaps resisted the attraction. Or had the ole almost did it. The plot has to work or I set it aside. There are so many types of men and couples to pair up that there is always a favorite in the story. I prefer dark haired/dark eyed men (in books, not in general I don't have a pref.). Reading m/f there is only the one man, as is, lol. Oh well. I still like variety. I couldn't rank which sub genre of romance I like best but for now I'd definitely give m/m romance a head start.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments i got a free book offer from noble romamce. anyone that would like to have it please email me. daalmonette@gmail.com

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Kenjii wrote: "i got a free book offer from noble romamce. anyone that would like to have it please email me. daalmonette@gmail.com "

you take a 4 page survey and enter in a title from noble romance to get a free book from them. cool deal. check out their site first to choose a title i guess. i already knew what i wanted.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6