Start by marking “The Paid Companion” as Want to Read:
The Paid Companion

The Paid Companion

The Earl of St. Merryn needs a woman. His intentions are purely practical—he simply wants someone sensible and suitably lovely to pose as his betrothed for a few weeks among polite society. He has his own agenda to pursue, and a false fiancée will keep the husband-hunters at bay while he goes about his business. The simplest solution is to hire a paid companion.

Finding the
Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published March 29th 2005 by Jove (first published January 1st 2004)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
A lot of friends loved this book but I just could not connect to the couple. You know the way that a lot of people feel about Lillian from Kleypas' It Happened One Autumn (I personally like her)? That's the way I felt about this heroine, she just rubbed me the wrong way. She's great with her take charge attitude and confidence but there was a "I'm doing it my way because no other way could be right" that made me jerk back. I love me some strong independent women but in romance books, I do tend t ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Finally a historical romance where I enjoyed both the romance and the actual plot! They tied in well together and I wasn’t disappointed when moving between the two.

Elenora has been left with practically nothing after the death of her stepfather. She has run her family’s estate in the country for years but after being kicked out with nothing except her clothing she is determined to land and her feet and has a plan to do just that.

Arthur, Earl of St. Merryn has recently been through a scandal wher
becky
May 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Of the few Amanda Quick books I've read in the last month I liked this one more than the others (but that's not a great measurement since many of the others I decided to stop reading midway through). I'd say, overall, I actually did like this book - until the end. It goes a little something like this:

Her: Uh oh, love him.

Him: I want to have sex with her.

Her: I can never be with him, but I'll have sex with him.

Him: Damn, I really like having sex with her. I might even like her.

Her: Oh god, I love
Daniella
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God I would give this 10 stars if I could. The characters were lovable, the mystery well planned, the love scenes blush-worthy, and the writing compelling and flawless.

This is absolutely perfect. Perfect, damn it.

Basically a summary of my feelings about the book (because I'm too giddy to write a more detailed review):
description
DEAR GOD, PLEASE LET ME MARRY A MAN LIKE ARTHUR. I PROMISE I'LL BE A GOOD PERSON. THANK YOU.
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Starr (AKA Bam Bam) by: Gavin
This isn't really so much a HR as a mystery romance. I might have given it 4 stars if not for the other HR I just finished. I couldn't give this one a higher rating because it wasn't better than that one. They are good and bad in different ways. The other HR was very good until about 70% of the way. This one was meh all the way until about 70%. Then the pace picked up and I enjoyed it relatively well.

The story revolves around our Hero Arthur who is supposed to be a very calculating, logical man.
Becca
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Paid Companion has been on my to-read shelf forever and I finally picked it up. I am not sure what took me so long, but I am glad I finally took the time to delve in.

This story had a combination of passion, mystery, and a foray into science. The first half of the novel focused more on the characters (which I LOVED), while the second half picked up the mystery element at the expense of the romance.

For those familiar with Amanda Quick, you will see numerous examples of her signature in this st
Gavin
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Well since I listened to the audiobook I'll split my review into two parts.

The Story

Twenty something Elanora Lodge is smart, feisty heroine who due to her stepfathers gambling and untimely death has lost her home and inheritance. She plans to own her own bookstore one day but in order to finance this dream and support herself in the meantime, she has taken up work as a paid companion.

Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn is considered as coldly logical and a little eccentric by most. He needs
Caz
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes light-hearted romance with a bit of mystery thrown in.
This was a lot of fun to listen to although I suspect I might not have enjoyed it as much had I read the book. Michael Page is one of those narrators whose name on an audiobook is guaranteed to make me take a second or third look, and even though he’s not narrated a huge number of romance novels, I’ve enjoyed those I’ve heard. (Most recently, I liked his reading of Victoria Alexander’s The Importance of Being Wicked.)

The plot in this story centres around Arthur Lancaster, Earl of St. Merryn and
Jacob Proffitt
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, romance, steamy
I blame myself for not liking this as much as I expected to. I was in the mood for a regency romance, but managed to ignore everything I know about Amanda Quick's regencies. Which made me more than usually impatient with the supernatural trappings that intruded into an otherwise fine romantic story. I liked both main characters and their banter and by-play was fantastic. I suppose the real problem is that I could easily imagine the story without the "alchemical" nonsense and I liked that story i ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I listened to this on audiobook while I made my Christmas cards, and it was an enjoyable read and kept me entertained while I attended to my crafting. The narrator used a voice for Arthur that was a bit stuffy, and not at all brooding and sexy, but otherwise, I can't complain. There was a good balance between mystery and romance in this book. The mystery was quite authentic, and the villain was a fiend. The reveal was suspenseful, and I hadn't figured out who the villain was until the correct ti ...more
Caz
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B for both narration and content at AudioGals

This recording of one of my favourite of Amanda Quick’s books – The Paid Companion –  came out in 2014, but I didn’t immediately snap it up, because I already own a copy of the recording narrated by Michael Page that was produced in 2004, and I wasn’t sure if I really needed another version. While it’s commonplace to find more than one version of older, “classic” books (as I discovered when listening and writing my Caz’s Classics C
Ana María
Un típico Quick de regencia: Eleonora, una dama venida a menos que trabaja de "dama de compañía", es contratada por el Conde de St. Merryn para hacerse pasar por su prometida así, él puede investigar el asesinato de su tío-abuelo en los círculos de la alta sociedad sin que las debutantes casaderas del año se le vengan encima. Pero Eleonora es una mujer inteligente y práctica que lo ayuda en sus investigaciones ... y algo más.
Como siempre, Amanda nos presenta a unos protagonistas inteligentes, se
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Well, this is about the first purely romance novel that I've loved this much. I guess I am a sucker for the setting! Granted, the sex scenes are kind of hilarious and the story itself is simplistic, but very enjoyable. (view spoiler)

Anyway, entertainment value certainly achieved.

Book Blog | Themed Bookstagram | Quick Update Bookstagram | Bookish Twitter
Kathleen
3.85 stars. Read the book when it first came out some years ago and listened to audio version recently, narrated by Michael Page. A good performance! Loved his British accent.

Decent story, too, despite the info-dump and predictability. This is one of Quick's stand-alone historical romances. I prefer them to her series installments, which are even more formulaic and predictable.

Quite a fun and smexy read. The Earl of St. Merryn is a wealthy and fairly eccentric nobleman. He hires a paid compani
Andree
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. If you're going to read an AQ, this is one I would read. This is actually the one I heard about that started the binge-reading, but I couldn't get it at the library until now.

The plot is very similar to what the plot generally is, but I felt like the balance is better. The family dynamics are fun. The dialogue and banter are great. The power dynamics between the leads work., even though one is employed by the other. No one is overly dictatorial. When people are told to do something, i
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Good but not as good as Ravished. I loved her characters and their witty banter/slow burn romance, and the supporting characters were also wonderful! But the mystery part was unnecessary lol I skimmed over those parts. Hence, knocking down 2 stars
Somia
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read this a number of times over the years and it remains an enjoyable light read.

This historical romance stars two main characters who are intelligent, strong and well suited. Elenora is no simpering miss, after the death of her stepfather she is left with nothing, but she doesn't break down and simply weep, rather she is determined to succeed/have a life that is not dismal. With very few occupations for respectable ladies to choose from, she becomes a companion to other ladies.

The very se
Carol Waters
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
OK, so I am attempting to pare down my book collection by reading and discarding the stash of books cluttering my abode. This one is from upstairs in the media room bookcases. I have no idea where it came from. It is a hardcover, new, pretty cover.

The premise is dumber than dirt. A wealthy woman of 26 gets swindled out of her inheritance, gets a job as a paid companion to a woman who dresses only in purple who unfortunately no longer needs her help, and then storms into her employer's office to
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
Would defiantly never re-read or recommend this book to anybody :/

The heroine was unbearably pushey and irritating (Before you insist that she was just ahead of her time and that it was remarkable of her to 'take control' (as in bossing around ) other people's business.Just imagine if the Hero was do unbearable and forceful ? Then he would just come across as a certified over bearing Ass who forced the heroine to spent her money where he thought was best. :/ :(

The plot was poorly put together a
Ira
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Still very entertaining story but is not as good as Ravished, the mystery part is a bit too much.

My second book from Ms. Quick, I quickly notice, she write a strong, kind, intelligent and very confident heroine, and her hero is not a rake who having mistress everywhere, hooray!!!

I think I want to read Dangerous next, or Reckless?
Decision decision...
Oh well:)
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This was very average. I thought it was quite ploddingly written - a lot of explanation through dialogue. I didn't feel the heat between the H/h, it was a lot of tell and too little show. The gothic elements didn't work for me. It kept my attention whilst I was reading it. I just think, by and large, romances are being done better than this nowadays. You're also going to lose points with me when you describe a woman's vagina as "moist and plump and soft"

Plump. Plump. Plump.

And then the hero's
Gamze
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yazarın daha önce Metres kitabını okumuştum. Onunla uzaktan yakından alakası yoktu. O kitabı ne kadar beğendiysem bu kitapta işler tersine işledi. Bitirebilmek için cebelleştim
Lorka
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first book by Amanda Quick, and I absolutely loved it. It was also my first historical-romance with mystery involved that I made it all the way thru to the ending without cheating first to see "who-done-it". :-) Lol, it was that good, I didn't want to cheat, but to follow thru with each chapter and absorb the story. My favorite thing about this book was how the characters were all written. I loved the hero... a very serious, business-minded, doesn't know how to relax and have fun type of guy. ...more
Bibliotecaria recomienda
Pues llegó Mayo y con él tocaba libro nuevo en el Reto Rita 2.0. Una dama a sueldo nos cuenta la historia de Arthur, conde de St. Merryn y Elenora Lodge.

Hace un año Arthur, conde de St. Merryn, fue abandonado por su prometida, la cual se fugó con uno de sus pretendientes para evitar casarse con él, el suceso fue público enseguida y Arthur se tomó este suceso de forma fría y desapasionada mencionando que la próxima vez buscaría a su futura esposa en una agencia de damas de compañía. Pasado el tie
Dianne
Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle --- three wonderful series and styles from one single author. I particularly loved this book and have read it many times since it first came out. Now I have it for my Kindle and re-read it last night. It still makes me smile, squirm with the steamy scenes and ponder how Ms Quick makes a woman from that place and time period so clever, yet affable and likable to the reader.

Elenora Lodge has just lost everything she owns to her step-fathers creditors. But
Juliana Philippa
Another great Amanda Quick historical romance - the premise of how the main characters meet and initiate their relationship (hero hires the heroine to pretend to be his fiancee) is interesting and pretty unusual, though why he supposedly needs a pretend-fiancee is not very compelling - the whole thing is done more for plot effect and to make the story and relationship more interesting (which it admittedly does) than out of any real plot-driven reason.

This is one of her more recent ones (2004) an
Julia
Oh this audiobook! How could I ever forget listening to you!

Personal Backstory:
I was driving alone on a car trip 5 hours to see one of my good friends. Seeing as Ohio is mostly corn and worried about falling asleep, I went to the library to scope out what I could find. This is how I found The Paid Companion.

Now as I sit here and try to find another book like enraptured me so, I am thinking of this book.

Review:
Oh man. It say a lot that after at least 3 years I still remember this book. It was ab
tacitus
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Utterly Unsatisfying and Awkward.

SPOIL ALERT!!!!

It is the case with most historical romances that the plot and/or suspense is hackneyed and stale, but the romance is intense and worthwhile. In this case, you still get the hackneyed setup and subplot, but the romance is utterly unsatisfying!

Firstly, the moment when the hero and heroine are finally intimate with each other is just awkward and one of the worst love scenes I have ever read, especially in a historical romance. The hero is ...ahem...
Jesica
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BLOG: www.adictaxictoxico.blogspot.com
Que puedo decir...!!!
la historia me encanto... ese aire de misterio me tuvo en vilo durante cada capitulo que avanzaba haciendo teorías sobre quien era el asesino y como siempre no le atine... aunque eso si el asesino murió por su propia mano....
con respecto a los protagonistas simplemente me enamoraron, hubo algo que resalto a esta autora y es que eran mucho mas creíbles... me explico cuando leemos un libro de este genero en la mayoría de las ocasiones se
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The Paid Companion (2004) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:22PM
  • Falling Awake
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz