twilight lovers! discussion

Books in the Twilight Series > How old should you be to read Breaking Dawn?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 333 (333 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith | 84 comments I know that the Twilight series is a young adult series (14-19) and being in my mid 20's i know that this is just a rough guide and i know plenty of people who are 12-13 reading it upto people in their 40's. However, i was just curious whether anyone thought that the 4th book was maybe not so suitable for someone under 14.

I loved all the series don't get me wrong and I think it was fine all the way through - but when i got to the 4th book and the honeymoon (which I loved) - i thought maybe it was more aimed at the older teen market.

Just to clarify - I love the series, and am not faulting it in anyway - just curious to see what others thought.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) I thought of that a bit when I was reading it as well, and even though I think that maybe thirteen and younger might be a little young, when I think about it, I am sure Meyer knew and considered who her audience would be when she wrote the fourth book. I'm sure that is why she didn't really make any of the love scenes in any way explicit.
There was no way she could not add their honeymoon, and then let the story unfold from there. I mean Bella didn't get pregnant from nothing :)
And to be honest, I think nowadays most twelve and thirteen year olds know what is what :)
so I'm sure it was no surprise to them what went on between Edward and Bella :)

just my opinion :) I loved the books anyways.

message 3: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (theonecalledwhatsername) i agree
im 13 (well...almost 14) but i didnt think that the honey moon or the 1 scene in eclipse was really that bad. idk it might just b me but i would want kids younger then 13 to read it

message 4: by Jade (new)

Jade I agree with all of you guys, it was a little wierd at first, but

Cindy: when I think about it, I am sure Meyer knew and considered who her audience would be when she wrote the fourth book. I'm sure that is why she didn't really make any of the love scenes in any way explicit.
There was no way she could not add their honeymoon, and then let the story unfold from there. I mean Bella didn't get pregnant from nothing :)
And to be honest, I think nowadays most twelve and thirteen year olds know what is what :)
so I'm sure it was no surprise to them what went on between Edward and Bella :)

message 5: by Nava Cullen (last edited Jan 06, 2009 04:45PM) (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments well... I'm twelve and I read it at the beginning of seventh grade (this past september), and it didn't bother me too much.
Honestly, I think the types of stuff the kids talk about in school is far worse...

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:20AM) (new)

I agree. What goes on in Breaking Dawn is nothing compared to what is being talked about in school today...even middle school! If the world were as it should be, I don't think anyone under the age of thirteen should read it. But nowadays...I don't really think it's anything that is unfamiliar to them. It is unfortunate, but that's the reality.

message 7: by Nava Cullen (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments Emily wrote: "I agree. What goes on in Breaking Dawn is nothing compared to what is being talked about in school today...even middle school! If the world were as it should be, I don't think anyone under the age ..."

It's true... I don't really know how it happened, but people are a lot older younger nowadays.

♥M♥A♥R♥I♥E♥ (mariehastings) | 41 comments Well, I think it'sokay for 12 and thirteen year olds, but not for someone under 12, to be sure.

message 9: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (i_love_jacob_black_95) | 3164 comments Yeah, I agree. 12 and above probably.

message 10: by Jade (new)

Jade I agree witheveryone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Lexi (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:43AM) (new)

Lexi (theonecalledwhatsername) i have a friend whos 11 and shes on new moon...and i told her that she should read breaking dawn till 7th grade (shes in 6th). do u all agree that she should wait a year?

message 12: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 27 comments true caroline..but i read it..i know someone in 6th who read BD..dunno actually..:P

message 13: by Faith (new)

Faith | 84 comments Yeah i totally agree I think they needed to have the honeymoon part in there (although i wouldn't have gone with the pregnancy story line) and it was actually my favourite part along with the Rosalie/Jacob jokes. I read somewhere that originally Stephanie wrote these books not for teens/children (don't quote me on that), so...i don't know. I think the book was slightly more "mature" than the others.

I agree kids seem to be talking about far worse now days and i think it was done all VERY tastefully and needed to go to that level but maybe kids slightly older like 13+ would appreciate it more...im blabbing now....

message 14: by Jade (last edited Jan 07, 2009 02:14PM) (new)

Jade I think that 12 is the youngest age that people should read it. I'm was 12 when I read it, and I wasn't bothered by it at all. People ARE alking about really inappropiate stuff now in my school, the stuff in BD was very minor compared to what people in my school talk about.

message 15: by Nava Cullen (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments Very true. Same with my school.
Though, maybe if I waited a year I might have enjoyed it more... and died of impatience while trying to wait. I don't think I could have waited. : )

message 16: by Marissa (new)

Marissa i really dont know an age, cause mi friend's sister is like 11 or something but her mom wont let her read breaking dawn, so i would say 12.

message 17: by Marissa (new)

Marissa haha i couldnt wait either. mi school doesnt talk about creepy stuff 2 much....

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

im 11 1/2, should I read it, cuz my best friend is 12 and shes reading it

message 19: by Nava Cullen (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments yes, if you think you're up to stuff like that.
(Stuff like that meaning some, erm, sexual content)

message 20: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) Although I think that the books should be for a 13+ audience because of the sexual scenes that were implied in the last two books, reality is 13 and under kids are going to be reading them anyways because they are so popular. And honestly, I know it is not as common for younger people these days to like to read, so if they enjoy these books, then what the heck?
And like Caroline said, at least Bella and Edward waited until they were married, right?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I think she's very good at leaving all the grit out of it (kinda sucked) lol but I'd say 13+ is A-okay. I like how she sends the message of waiting until after marriage- especially as a male doing the holding off.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

KK

message 23: by Nava Cullen (last edited Jan 08, 2009 04:40PM) (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments definitely.
i also think in general when you read any of the series you should have some level of maturity just so you can appreciate the beautiful vampires and passionate romance.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

kk

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started Eclipse

message 26: by xXRossiya AruXx (new)

xXRossiya AruXx (biggestanimegeek) I ♥ Doctors wrote: "Yeah, I agree. 12 and above probably."

i am 11 and i read. it was AWESOME( as normal) but i still prefer the 2 one.

message 27: by Daisy (new)

Daisy i'm 11 and read it

message 28: by xXRossiya AruXx (new)

xXRossiya AruXx (biggestanimegeek) ok... actual 1 was 10 if that makes any difference...

message 29: by Nava Cullen (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments exactly.

message 30: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments i want to read it, but im 11 and im waiting till im 13 or 14. plus my mom wont let me read it.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

One year, 11 to 12, thats not much of a difference

message 32: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments no its 11 to 13, or 11 to 14; not 11 to 12...

message 33: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments so its about 2 years difference

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, KK

message 35: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) In my honest opinion, I wouldn't recommend BD to anyone under 14. Honestly. However, I do wholeheartedly understand that teenagers mature at different ages. The scene with the "birth" gave me shivers. Wouldn't 12 year olds be put off by pregnancy? (I'm really interested about this, BTW. Blame my obsession of Psychology.)

message 36: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments i think you can read it whenever u want as long as u r mature enough to read it.

message 37: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments (sorry if that offends anyone)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Not at all

message 39: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments good. because i wasn't trying to be mean or n-ything

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats actually a compliment, not an insult, dont sweat it

message 41: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments ok good

message 42: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 11, 2009 06:31PM) (new)

Stephanie i'm 16 and my best friend and i were laughing as we were reading it, we just kept saying wow this is so awkward (that was our fav word for it)and my mother who hates the books :(*sniff wipe away a tear* refused to read it and so a being a good twihard fan had to tell everything that happened in the book. when i got to the hunnymoon part her eyes widened and she couldn't beleive that i had read the book and i just laughed it off. i have alot of younger friends 12/13 year olds and stuff and i think they would be fine with it. i remember when i was 12 (like 4 yrs ago lol) and i think stephenie did a good job cleaning it up for younger kids (wow that was alot)

message 43: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments Ya i pretty much know what it's about, but my mom just doesn't want me to read it because she got to read it before i did *sniff sniff* because she won rock paper scissors and she thought it was to mature for me but what she doesn't understand is that i am totally mature to read it and i want to read it soooooo bad!!!

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie hey jenna does your last name start with a c? i think i know you

message 45: by Faith (last edited Jan 12, 2009 10:58AM) (new)

Faith | 84 comments Well i think its been really interesting to see what other people thought. And since I first posted it, we actually got the final book into the school library (well actually I bought it at the weekend and took it in today). Within minutes it was snapped up by an eager 15 year old. I've read the book a couple of times now, and although I still feel maybe it has the more mature feel to it then the others in the series...i think maybe everyone's right. Its just down to how mature the individual is.

We actually have a rule where books with the 14-19 sticker on, aren't allowed to go out to anyone younger than 14 without a letter from home. But to be honest i highly doubt any of those parents actually read these books before their children do (who has the time?!) so i supose you just have to hope that the person reading it takes it in the way it was intended. Rant over :)

message 46: by Lizzy Mclaughlin (new)

Lizzy Mclaughlin (AKA Massie) (jenras4321) | 20 comments Sephanie no my last name does not start with a c. my old nickname on goodreads was jenna cullen (for edward), but now its just jenna.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

im 13 and i read it....i was barley 13 too but i guess it really depends on the person.....all my friend (all 14 & 13) read it and were fine....but i guess you just have to be more mature.....i didnt have a problem with any "romantic scenes" because for one i was ready for it and for 2 i am mature enough to handel it.

message 48: by Marissa (new)

Marissa i read breaking dawn when i waz 12 but now im 13

message 49: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimyw27) | 4 comments i also think its ok for any age reader, as long as they get the concept that babys dont come from storks anymore, cuz i was 12 wen i read all 4 at first, just turned 13, and iv already seen the movie and read the books more than once each. i think its fine.

message 50: by Marissa (new)

Marissa ur 13?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7