SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: 2012 Buddy Reads > June Buddy Read: Dead Witch Walking

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Jeann and I will be starting Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison between the 18th and the 22nd. I will post a more specific date closer to that week. Anyone is welcome to join! This will be a re-read for me.

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

After this buddy read, if anyone is interested I would like to continue the series.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yippee I'm really keen about starting this series, I've heard good things about it.

message 3: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments I have to read this one for a challenge this month. Would love to join in.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments This is coming up in a few days, I can't wait! I hope it matches the Bingo shelf that is called this weekend!

message 5: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments I agree! That would be nice.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Leslie, we'd love for you to join us. It's a re-read for me. So I hope you guys enjoy it!!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Welcome Leslie! :) so it didn't get picked for the Bingo Shelf, but I'm using this as my free space read. I should be getting to this later in the week. How about you guys?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments I didn't even think to use it as a Free Space read, but since it's a re-read I think I'll stick with what I already picked. I plan on starting either tomorrow or Tuesday. The latest will be Wednesday. I have a few things I need to finish before starting this one.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Awesome, sounds good! I've heard so much about this series that I'm really keen to start it. I guess we'll discuss it when we start!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Sounds like a plan to me :)

It was the first series I read that was considered Urban Fantasy, and it made me fall in love with the genre. So I feel like returning to this book is like going back to my "roots" :D

message 11: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments I also decided to use it for my Free Space read! I should start this tomorrow. I quit reading something tonight - just couldn't finish it, so I'm ready earlier than I expected.
I'm really excited to start this. I've heard some good things about it. I've never read any of her books before. I'm relatively new to UF - it's good to start a new series!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) This is my favorite series :)

message 13: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments I'm on page 121. I'm about to go to the oral surgeon and have 2 wisdom teeth pulled:={ so I'm not sure how much more reading I will get done today. I have very mixed feelings about this so far. But it's pretty interesting world building. My biggest problem with UF that is written in first person is that you have to like the "voice". I haven't decided yet about Rachel's voice.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments omg Leslie I have that same surgery on Friday! I'm getting 3 wisdom teeth pulled, think I'll be pretty out of it for a few days.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Yikes good luck with the wisdom teeth being pulled! I had that done like 5 years ago and all I remember was the drugs haha I don't remember being in a lot of pain but I remember being out of it from my pain killers. Good luck to you both, Leslie and Jeann!

message 16: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments thanks for the kind words. It was actually no big deal. My wisdom teeth are all the way in, they just have cavities in them and needed to come out. It was so easy! I can't believe I was such a baby about it. I'm sure it will be a much bigger deal for you, Jeann. The anesthesia did make me sleepy today, but I have been able to read some.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments My wisdom teeth were still in my jaw bone they weren't coming through yet. But my jaw started to hurt so that's why I got them taken out. They had to chip them out of my jaw, so I was under the whole time haha I didn't actually feel anything.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Oh good, those are some promising stories! How long til you felt okay enough to resume your normal activities Leslie? I have a week off work to rest.

My ones are out already, but one of them is impacted which is why I need to get them out. They don't hurt, but every now and then I bite into my cheek.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Ouch! Biting your cheek is no fun at all! :(

message 20: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments Jeann, are they all the way out or are they still in the gum? I have had other wisdom teeth pulled ( they were fully out) and it was a several day recovery. For some unknown reason, I literally was recovered that evening. He put stitches in and that seems to have made a huge difference. Also, because of some other health challenges, I was put completely under and that made it easier as well. So, I guess it all depends. Good luck!
Is anyone else finished with this. I finished and posted my review. Very, very mixed feelings about it. Rachel made me crazy. I had to start thinking of this book as YA fiction in order to like her. Just curious as to how y'all are doing with it.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments It's a re-read for me, but I haven't had a chance to start it yet. It's been a weird week for me.

message 22: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments I understand, Sarah! Hope it gets better. I'm mostly curious as to how people respond to Rachel's character. I really struggled with her.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I know it's been a few days but I just finished The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2) by Richelle Mead as my Bingo Read! It didn't enthrall me as I expected it too. About to start on this one now, interesting thoughts Leslie.

Just had the surgery this morning and it went well. Being under the whole time definitely makes a huge different, I went to sleep, woke up and it was over! So far I just feel a little woozy and out of it, surprisingly the local anaesthetic has lasted over 7 hours from this morning so I'm not feeling any pain.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Leslie, yeah I see what you mean. Personally, I really like Rachel but I think it's because I've read almost the entire series (just the most recent two to go). She definitely becomes a stronger character, but I think Dead Witch Walking does a good job of introducing her, her world, and her friends.

Jenn, I haven't read that series yet because I'm still reading VA, I've only read the first book... so I better get on that! I'm glad your surgery went well! It's great that you're not feeling any pain, I hope it stays that way! :D

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Sarah wrote: "Leslie, yeah I see what you mean. Personally, I really like Rachel but I think it's because I've read almost the entire series (just the most recent two to go). She definitely becomes a stronger ch..."

I'm on page 147 at the moment, and I feel like I'm an outsider looking in. The book doesn't really have a proper introduction, and just dives straight into the story. Gradually, hints about the world and the other species speckle in, but I still feel like I've missed something.

Also, the relationship between Rachel and Ivy is (view spoiler)

Sarah, I really loved VA, especially the first 4 books although the last 4 kind of got weaker and predictable as it went along. VA is much better than Bloodlines though. Thanks for the well wishes, I'm getting pain on one side of my face but luckily the other side is hunky dory!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Yeah, I see what you're saying. IDK I think I'm too biased to give an accurate opinion. I wont try to sway you in any direction, because I think it's better that you come to it on your own. I don't think this book is the best in the series but I do think as a whole the series is wonderful and should be enjoyed by many. This book has the same problem a lot of debuts do, the writer doesn't have the right experience in writing and even though they've done a great job (because they're published) sometimes what they want the reader to experience doesn't always come across that way. But Rachel does grow and become a unique individual and her world becomes vibrant. Just wait it out and see how you feel with this book and if you enjoy enough I'll gladly buddy read the next one with you. :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Ah yes I do agree with you Sarah, first in the series is usually weaker than the rest. I do find it fascinating, the world and the writing is so different to others that I have read that I have no doubt that I will enjoy the rest of the series :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I'm on page 243 at the moment, just over halfway. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Sarah (last edited Jun 23, 2012 05:49PM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Jeann wrote: "I'm on page 243 at the moment, just over halfway. [spoilers removed]"

Jeann, this should help (view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Wow, thanks for that rundown Sarah! Perfect :) I'm on page 280, think I'll finish this one soon.

(view spoiler)

message 31: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments Jeann, I had exactly the same reaction to Ivy and Rachel. And I was very confused about Trent. Is he a bad guy or a good guy. He sounds too attractive to stay a bad guy. And I was confused as well for awhile over what was going on.
And Sarah, several other people who have read this series, have said the same as you about this book. That it gets better and Rachel matures further along in the series. I am interested in the world that's been created and the different characters. I love Jenks and his wife!

message 32: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jun 24, 2012 01:10AM) (new)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I just finished the book and reviewed it here.

I did find it a little difficult to follow, but overall it was an intriguing read. I've heard that it gets better too and will definitely be keen to follow it with another buddy read with you guys!

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments All I can say is at least you made it through the first book!! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it even with it's failures.

If you're interested in buddy reading the next book let me know :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I'm in for a buddy read of the 2nd book! :) I bought the first 3 from a book festival.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Awesome I'm not quite finished yet with the first one but I should be very soon. Do you want to start the next one on Wednesday?

message 36: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jun 24, 2012 03:40AM) (new)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yup I'm good with Wednesday, don't mind if we even delay it further. I'm easy!

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Let's say Wednesday and if I can't start then I will let you know before :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Cool sounds good. I'm going to be reading Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James for bingo so I should be good until then.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments That one is crazy!! Totally intense! Have fun! ;)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Hehe thanks :D

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I just started The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison today, it's quite good so far. How about you guys? Are we making another thread or happy to stay in here?

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments I can make a new thread, that way if people have already moved passed Dead Witch Walking then they can participate without having to scroll through the other comments. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :)

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Here's the new thread

message 44: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments I can't read the next one in July but I will be following your buddy read to see what y'all think. Have fun!!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Thanks for making the thread Sarah, and feel free to add in the discussion when you get to read the book later Leslie! :)