Start by marking “Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)

Dead Witch Walking

(The Hollows #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  103,156 ratings  ·  4,542 reviews
All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party... and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining - and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 416 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by HarperTorch (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Witch Walking, please sign up.
Allegra I haven't read all of the books yet, but I would assume so. It makes me wonder if they are missing some of the space race related technology that we…moreI haven't read all of the books yet, but I would assume so. It makes me wonder if they are missing some of the space race related technology that we have, like velcro.(less)

·  103,156 ratings  ·  4,542 reviews

Kat Kennedy
Melanie
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Melanie by: Julie Zantopoulos
“Making a spell is easy. It's trusting you did it right that's hard.”

*McCree from Overwatch voice* Dead Witch Walking is just a product of its time and it just reads like an early 2000s PNR/UF story. I guarantee if I read this back when I was in love with the Fever series, the Kate Daniels series, and the Riley Jenson Guardian series, then I would have enjoyed this way more than I did. Sadly, we are in 2019, and the true fact is that this didn’t age well, in my opinion. But I still had a lot
Will Byrnes
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Kim Harrison - Image from Google

In an alternate near past, humans have been much reduced as a result of unanticipated problems with bioengineered tomatoes. One result is that non-humans, immune to the created virus, have become the dominant culture, witches, werewolves, vampires, the usual gang of idiots. The main character here is Rachel, a witch who is contracted with the security organization responsible for policing the magical population. Her assignments are called “runs.” In such “runs” s
Jilly
Every review of this series talks about it being one of the best Urban Fantasies out there, and I have to admit that the world in this one is pretty awesome. I liked everything about the world.

So, why the three-stars? Because I have a little pet-peeve with something that I can easily spot for the future of this series. And, yes, I have so many book pet-peeves that my house smells like a pet-peeve litter box, but still..... I can't resist their cute little faces.

I know this one doesn't go THAT we
Lola
*3.5 shadowed stars*

My head tells me 3 stars, but my heart says 4. Which makes an average of 3.5 (but you knew that already.)

WOW.

Yes, that is the reaction I had after starting Dead Witch Walking (great title by the way.) I was so surprised while discovering every ‘creature’ this book contains. There are witches, vampires, trolls (apparently,) fairies, PIXIES... PIXIES guys. There are PIXIES. Plus, one of them is an important character of the story! I’m talking about this one:

(On the left, we hav
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The Hollows is another one of the first Urban Fantasy series I ever read. The bug had gotten me, but I was still new enough to not really know what was available. I think I was just pursuing every lead Amazon gave me, and that was back in the 3-for-4 paperbacks days, so I was in the habit of ordering the first four books in any newly discovered series.

Which was a good plan, b/c by the time I finished Dead Witch Walking, I
Meagan
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Don't let the cover, description, cover reviews, or hell, even the title throw you off on this one. It looks like a cheesy paperback. Possibly even a twisted romance novel, but believe me it's not.

It takes place in a world where instead of going to the moon, money went into bioengineering. Of course something went wrong a virus got out, in tomatoes. Like a plague it started wiping out humans, Inlanders however (people and beings with mystical abilities, witches, weres, pixies etc.) were immune.
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
Buddy read with the MacHalo group in June 2016.

Ooops, I'm going to bail on this one, sorry guys. Urban fantasy is just not doing it for me these days, and since I've already read this series and it'd be a re-read anyway, I don't feel too bad. :P

Quick generic review, though... if you like urban fantasies, this is hands down one of the best series in the genre, overall. Some books aren't as strong as others, but it only gets better. I know that can be annoying, but with this series, I think my fav
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
"Book, you have the right to a speedy trial" review

THE DEFENSE
- Lead heroine is funny and engaging, yet also flawed enough to feel real - I felt I could relate whenever Rachel Morgan did something stupid...plus when book characters screw up, it makes me feel not as bad for doing at least 8,000 stupid things a day! (That's an exaggeration, of course! I only do 7,999 stupid things a day tops!)

- I also loved the supporting cast - Ivy the vampire is moody yet oh-so-adorable, Keasley never loses
Amy
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Hated, hated, hated this book. Rachel Morgan got on my last nerve, and by the end, I was ready for her to get killed. However, her partners Jinx and Ivy were loads of fun.
Exina

Dead Witch Walking is the first installment of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.
It is an excellent opening book of the series: it is intriguing with the right balance of action, mystery, and humor.

The main character, Rachel Morgan, a witch, works as a runner at “Inderland Security”, but now quits her job to start her own business partnering with a vampire and a pixy.
The story is about her struggle as she tries to get rid of the bounty was put on her head by her ex-boss, and gain her independe
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: some UF fans
In spite of the moderately engaging beginning, Dead Witch Walking finally lost me by about page 100. Unfortunately, no more Rachel Morgan for me.

On the bright side, there is a potential in this series. I recently abandoned a couple of UF series because of the barenness of their worlds. In this book the mythology behind the story is rich. You never feel like the characters walk and interact in vacuum (that's how I felt reading Some Girls Bite and Halfway to the Grave). Whatever is written about t
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
First to you who like this, I'm sorry. We can't all like the same books.

I picked this up because it was recommended on the "What to read while you're waiting for the next Dresden book" thread. So:

First I'm not a romance fan to begin with and I can pretty much say that I dislike every PNR (paranormal romance) I've ever "accidentally" picked up. Now, I can hear some of you saying, but this isn't PNR. At least the recommendation I went with said it wasn't. But if it's not, it's close enough for me.
Emma
I’m going with a high 3 stars maybe 3.75. I really enjoyed the world created by the author and I liked the comic touches in places. For more than half the book, I was finding it all very entertaining and pretty fast paced. But. I felt the book went on too long and I was starting to wonder if this Rachel was just annoying for making so many bad decisions...I liked the Trent character and hope to see more of him. Clearly there’s more to him than meets the eye. Nick I didn’t really take to. Jenks i ...more
Felicia
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I liked this series a lot but around book 4 it petered off for me. I need to get back on the horse.
HBalikov
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Rachel Morgan lives in Cincinnati. Not the Cincinnati that you and I might be familiar with but a post-apocalyptic town that has ripped the curtains from the fact that there is a shadow world of all those creatures from pixies to vampires that have lived among humans for millennia. Humans became an endangered species when a bio-engineered virus ran amuck drastically reducing their population. Now those who lived in the “Inderland” were out and about. They may or may not live in your neighborhood ...more
Lady Jaye
Er...ok. So this is not going to be a complimentary review, as you've probably already guessed by the rating.

I am a character-driven reader. I don't necessarily have to love a character to bits, but if I can get behind him/her, then I will come along for the ride, and be willing to overlook a lot of things, like faulty plotting. If I don't like the character, well, then I enjoy the book less, and become somewhat cranky. I notice choppy plotting/not-very-good writing.

I am not a plot-driven rea
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. *singing* Attttaccccccckkkk of the killer tomatoes! How can I resist starting this review without that lovely song? I can’t say I’ve ever read a book with so much tomato-hate. Genetically mutated tomatoes have caused much havoc to the human world in the Rachel Morgan universe, and that sets up an interesting world where humans live with pixies, witches, vampires, and other creatures of the night.

After I finished the book, I read a lot of reviews on amazon where people strongly disl
Justine
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
OK so the most telling thing for me about this book is that it took me OVER A WEEK to read it. It was not a page turner, and I just couldn't get through it any faster. It wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't gripping. At all. Things picked up once Rachel turned into a mink, but that happens halfway through. I found the whole relationship between Ivy and Rachel and all of Rachel's constant angst about Ivy quite tiresome. I kept wanting to shout at the book "make up your mind, trust her or don't trus ...more
destini mia
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
On a scale of 1 to done I'm:

Me trying to get a grasp on this book:

Me every time Rachel opened her mouth:

. . . so yeah, I could go on but I think you get the point. There was so much potential it hurt . But by the end I was doing some heavy skimming and only went on because I was close to finishing anyways. I just really couldn't get into this one :(

This book just wasn't for me, sadly.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This is the second time I read this book. The first time I did, it left me absolutely unimpressed. Worse, it pretty much bore me to death and I thought it was only worth a two-star rating. So how did I go from giving this book two stars a year ago to giving it four stars today (more like a 3.5 actually)? The audio version!!

Marguerite Gavin is a fantastic narrator and she makes all the difference here. Where the book was boring, she makes it exciting and lively. It did take me some time to get us
Laz
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
Imagine a world where every kind of supernatural creature was walking out in the streets without a care in the world about being seen by a human.

Well, after a disease (enhanced by biodrugs because of course us, humans, are pretty stupid at the end of the day, okay) wiped out most humans and the supernatural was forced to come to light since they were immune to it, the world is mostly run by the supernatural considering how they've come to outnumber us. And overpower us. There's definitely that,
Kati
Jadranka
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Zabavno, uzbudljivo, na momente i vrcavo...
Mnogo bolje od True Blood serijala, a Rejčel Morgan je svakako dopadljivija i duhovitija od Suki Stekhaus. A i bolja je ženska ;)
Uživancija :)
valee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
What can I say that hasn't been said?

The action was good, not great, but good. At the end it got way better, but still not as good as some books I gave 4 stars in UF. Some parts were really slow, specially at the beginning. And the fact that it has no romance at all was something that bothered me. It's not only that it has no romance, she doesn't even get interested in someone.
I was expecting much more form this book as everybody was talking about this series, I mean it was a good read, and read
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Solid Series Start Stars

Whenever I’m starting a new series that is more than 3 books long I don’t expect a lot from the first book. I only expect it to give me a taste of the world and the main characters. As I dip my toe into the Hallows pool to get a feel for the series I’m hopeful. The characters are intriguing and show promise, there are plenty of hints of things to come without really giving anything major away and the world was interesting enough that I might want to visit it multiple
Michele Lee
I was given this book as a gift.

The Hollows book #1

First, the back blurb:
“All the creatures of the night gather in 'the Hollows' of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party...and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining—and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead...or undead.”

It's been a while since I've read a back
John Carter McKnight
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and was moved to write by the string of two-star reviews. I was grabbed from the beginning by the fast pace and seamless world-building. I found it well-crafted, with a thumping fast adventure pace, well-placed mysteries, mis-directions and clues, and rare resorts to info-dumping to make the world come alive.

The heroine is credible, far from omni-competent or a Mary Sue, as befits a young woman just striking out on her own professionally. She makes mistakes, learns from them,
Julie Zantopoulos
I have such a soft spot for this series in my heart and for a 2004 release it really holds up. There’s high stakes, good world building, nice character introductions, and I know it only gets better from here. Jenks legit takes the cake every single time I read these books. His family, his wife especially, are everything. I love the dynamic between Ivy and Rachel and I know it only grows in its complexity. Nick isn’t to be trusted and I remember how much I HATED Trent at the start of this series. ...more
Skyler Autumn
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Re-Read in 2017: 3 Stars

I read this book for the first time back in 2015 and loved it but than I never continued the series for some reason. Renewed determination to attempt this series again I decided to refresh my knowledge of the characters and story by giving it the old re-read.

I forgot how much I enjoyed these characters especially the two side characters Ivy and Jenkins. Ivy is my literary girl crush. She's a vampire with asian features I imagine Gemma Chan as this character:

She's is cold
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac, #3)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • Dragon Wytch (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #4)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)
“What are you?" I rasped.
It smiled. "Whatever scares you.”
247 likes
“Most of the upper management of I.S. were undead. I always thought it was because the job was easier if you didn't have a soul.” 160 likes