Start by marking “The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

(The Hollows #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  59,769 ratings  ·  1,933 reviews
Rachel Morgan, sexy witch, independent bounty hunter, prowls the downtown Cincinnati for criminal creatures of the night. She can handle leather-clad vamps and a cunning demon or two. But a serial killer who feeds on the experts in the most dangerous kind of black magic is an ancient, implacable evil that threatens her very soul.
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 453 pages
Published January 25th 2005 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, please sign up.
Mel Hello Crystal. I believe there is a combination of things going on here. First, Jenks is usually sitting on Rachel’s shoulder when he is making the ru…moreHello Crystal. I believe there is a combination of things going on here. First, Jenks is usually sitting on Rachel’s shoulder when he is making the rude comments or talking when he shouldn’t be. Perhaps, he is talking quietly enough that most would not hear him. Second, pixies have a magic that allows them to be understood. We discover this in Black Magic Sanction (Book 8) when she turns herself small and human sized people cannot understand her. Rachel makes high pitched squeaky sounds when she is pixie size because Ceri forgot to incorporated that into the charm. Maybe, Jenks is using his magic to ensure only she can hear him??? Finally, humans and other Inderlanders consider pixies to be not much more than bugs. They are looked down on by most. I believe many discriminate against pixies so they simply ignore him because they do not believe he has anything useful to say. I am currently re-listening to this series before I read American Demon. I come across your questions recently. I am not exactly sure what is the correct answer but these are my thoughts on your question as I re-listen. Take care and happy reading.(less)

·  59,769 ratings  ·  1,933 reviews

Start your review of The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

Well well well, would you look at that?! It seems the Freaking MacHalo TBR Cleaning Challenge of Doom and Destruction (FMTCCoDaD™) isn't ALL about reading crap, after all! Who would have thought?! Not only did I NOT feel like killing this book with fire, but I actually enjoyed reading it *gasps* Despite its Disaster Waiting to Happen Ingredients (DWtHI™)! Wow. Imagine that!

Flabbergastation is me (view spoiler)
Robin Wiley
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've read most of the majors in this genre: Stoker, Rice, Harrison, Harris, King, Hamilton, Meyer, Newman, and Kostova. I've seen Blade, Underworld, Buffy, Angel, Van Helsing, 30 Days of Night, Moonlight and Dark Shadows (not saying they are all good, mind you). So, I think I've consumed enough of the vampire genre to have some opinions.

My theory about Twilight. People with little to no experience with the vampire genre LOVE this series. Most readers who have consumed their fair amount of vampir
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $3.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

If I still had any doubts about The Hollows when I finished the Dead Witch Walking, The Good, the Bad, and the Undead laid them to rest.

Book 2 begins with Rachel and Jenks in the middle of a run. Several months has passed since the first book ended, and without a death threat hanging over her head, Rachel is free to pursue her new career as an independent runner. Nick is now officially Rachel's boyfriend, and the roomma
Sh3lly
Dead Witch Walking: ★★★★

SECOND READ: ★★★★★
FIRST READ: ★★★

Buddy read with the MacHalos.

Wow! I'm so excited to be re-reading this. I liked it much better the second time around. This one is mainly about the vampires and Rachel discovering ley line magic.

Al is the absolute best. I remembered the plot, but it was still very fresh to me. I actually have a lot more sympathy for Ivy this time around and am liking her much more.

You know, Rachel IS annoying, but it works for me. She's so stupid sometime
Robin (Bridge Four)
Rachel Mariana Morgan, you are the character in the movie that I yell at. That I scream at “Don’t go into that empty warehouse! Don’t practice spells you know nothing about! Never talk with Demons!!!” But does she listen NOOOO….No wonder she is always in some sort of crisis.

Rachel isn’t my favorite heroine and normally that would be enough to steer me away from a series but I really enjoy all the other parts of the series. There is enough humor, mystery and other interesting characters to keep m
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
The second book in the Hollows series is written much better than the haphazard style of Dead Witch Walking. I'm glad I stuck with the series because it's a really unique and interesting one. Firstly, it seems like the author has done with some good editing and slowly interweaves the world building with what is happening at the time, instead of having huge info dumps at random intervals.

Rachel Morgan slowly learns to stand on her own and develop her powers further in this book. As an FIB consul
Emma
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hmmm. This is definitely better than the first. There’s something quite compelling about this series. This confuses me though as there are some annoyances too. I found the plot a little convoluted and I don’t like Nick much. Also the main character Rachel is pretty annoying a lot of the time. Still. I’ve given better books a lower rating on occasion. Go figure!
Julie Zantopoulos
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is still such a fun book but I definitely see some flaws given how old the novel is. There's the use of the term "exotic" about an Asian character and there's a vampire attack where it's equated to rape...which is accurate in this world but the word is thrown around a good bit. I still stand by this series and these characters, I just love them.
Steven
Enjoyed it just as much the second time. Have I mentioned that I adore Jenks?
---
Nice second entry into the series. Definitely intrigued me even more, and I can't wait to continue with the series.
Lazaros
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
I'll say it again. If you're fan of a good read with amazing characters with snarky retorts and sassy attitudes and you love yourself some action-packed urban fantasy then don't hesitate, do read this. I am most pleased by how this book turned out. It was a nice surprise that it kept getting better than the first novel and I actually liked it even more. Since I gave the first book 5 stars it's only fair that I give this 5 stars as well.

There is a little bit more romance in this one. If you remem
Jonetta
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got so bogged down by the world building of the first book I put the series on hiatus. This time I switched to the audio format and it turned out to be a brilliant move as the narrator, Marguerite Gavin, gives an inspired performance.

There are many lingering questions from Dead Witch Walking that are resolved in this story (what is Trent, who unleashed the demon on Rachel, who is Ivy really, etc.). And, some I had that are still outstanding but we get more info on, enough to whet the appetite
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was such a fun audiobook! Years ago, I read the first several books in this series but never went any further for some reason. I meant to but I guess I got distracted by other shiny books or something. Since I knew I need a refresher before moving on with the series, I thought that a re-read would be a perfect choice. I am almost positive that I liked it even better this time around.

This book starts with a bang. Rachel and Jenks are in t
valee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
WOW! Just WOW.

This book was so different from the first one. I loved it, I would have given 5 stars to it if it wasn't for that very, VERY slow beginning. I mean, the first half of the book I wanted to burn up the book because nothing really happened. It took me 4 days to read the first half and 1 to read the next.
About that second half, I enjoyed it so much I couldn't stop reading it, even though I was full with work for college.

What I loved the most about this book was that you see Rachel turn
Exina
DNF at 20%
No rating for now, I'll try it again later. Maybe I just not in the mood.

Kristy
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Okay this book was a better than the first but it really took me a lot longer than is typical for me to get through the first half of the book. I don't know what Kim Harrison is trying to do in her writing but the first half of her books are really tedious and boring. You make it through it and the second half is interesting, exciting, full of suspence. I wish she'd put as much effort in the first half of her books as she does in the second.

Rachel seems to be a more rounded character in this boo
Obsidian
Jul 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is my buddy read of the Hollows series with Moonlight Reader.

As it stands I only like two characters at this point, and one of them is a murderer. The other characters are not smart, keep doing increasing dumb things, and are just awful. Besides the characters, the world building at this point makes no sense. We have another mythical creature coming out to play, and it makes no sense in the larger context of the world that Rachel lives in right now. Maybe if I cared enough I would have r
1st read - 2009
2nd read - July 2017
3rd read - June 2020

I read the first few books in this series years ago but it was only when I started my reread recently that I remembered how much I enjoyed this world. Rachel isn't perfect but she's a great character because she's so flawed. She makes stupid mistakes and she's far too trusting but she's learning and I'm hoping she won't keep repeating the same errors over and over again. I'm enjoying seeing her learn more about the magic she is capable of, s
Robyn
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This one was super satisfying - so many mysteries solved AND opened. Kinda wanted to go immediately to the next one....
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic i really didn't want it to end.

All the characters are so fantastic and multi dimensional, the plot line is brilliant and i love the speed of the progression.

The story starts off with Rachel who while trying to start up her, Ivy and Jenks's new buisness is falling on hard times, trying to meet ends meet with rent while being stitched up by her last job.

She teams up as a underland consultant with the FIB to investigate the murdered Leyline witches, all while delving deeper
KatieV
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first. In the first book, I was impressed that Rachel was not too perfect. She made some stupid decisions and was way too impulsive, but it made her relatable. In this book it just went too far. Seriously?! How many stupid decisions can you make in one chapter? Why can't she listen to one thing someone says?

Anyway, it is still interesting and I love Jenks. I am surprised that the author was able to create a pixie character that was fun and interesting witho
Jane Stewart
Heroine’s recklessness and mistakes get her into trouble which is too close to stupidity for me.

If you like to lose yourself in an urban fantasy world, this is a good one. But I want stories where character and plot are the main draws. Here not much happens to support the plot. The setting has a wide variety of paranormals: witches, vampires, pixies, elves, werewolves, and demons. I like the way they live, work, and interact with each other and humans in current day.

My biggest problem is that I
Kira
Dec 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Witches are being murdered. The FIB asks Rachel to help with the case. Rachel is convinced Trent is behind the murders. But things get complicated along the way, and Rachel has some run ins with vampires and demons.

I think this book is an improvement over the first one, but it’s not significantly better. I don’t like the way vampires are depicted in this series. There isn’t much good in them. They are depicted as dangerous and easily unhinged. But the danger comes with strong sexual vibes that d
Krissy
Jenks is still my boy!! I can't get enough of him <3 ...more
Chelsea Moreen
I much preferred this one to the first, I’m very much looking forward to the sequel.
Celine
Review of third read

I rarely truly binge. I am often a restless person, someone who gets up after reading for an hour, someone who will watch ten TV shows halfway through the season, rarely finishing any of them. Even when I love a series, or a book, or whatever, the odds are slim of me following it up in any consistent way.

Which I why I find it fascinating that I read two Hollows books right after each other without a second of unrest or boredom. No need to pick up another novel in between. Kim
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was able to read Dead Witch Walking and this book back to back, allowing for a smooth transition into Rachel's second adventure. She is free of her contract now but still seemingly facing death every day from many different sources: Were's who want their property back that she stole, Trent Kalamack, who she suspects is once again the bad guy in her main case, Piscary, one of the oldest and most powerful vamps in the city, her human boyfriend who can't seem to resist the urge to keep summoning ...more
Tabitha
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: The Good, the Bad and the Undead

Ley line witches are being murdered in Cincinnati. Rachel has been hired as an Inderlander consultant to help track down the killer. But Rachel will have to use magic she loathes in order to discover the truth. And where it leads her, there is no coming back from. If she isn't careful, she may just end up in debt to a demon and lose her soul.

The dynamics of Kim Harrison's characters have always been the reason I co
Meagan
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I don't know what exactly it is that Harrison is doing right, but let's exaime. First off I really like the world/universe/dimension (how ever you want to look at it) that she has created. It seems completely plausible in its own way. Plus it mixes in a bit of science with it's fantasy, which is nice. 2. I really enjoy the charecters. They're beleivable and described so well. THe "hero" Rachel Morgan, is that blessed kind that is easy to get addicted to. She has power and connections way beyond ...more
Margaux
This is my second time reading this beloved series, and it's even better this time around.

I have so much respect for Harrison's ability to slowly reveal all the little details of her Hollows universe, giving us just enough to understand what's going on, but not too much to feel like info-dumps. And the characters! So many great characters. Rachel is pretty annoying and has some serious moments of idiocy, but that is counterbalanced with fantastic characters like Jenks, Al, and Glenn. And honest
Chandra
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Story Rating 4.5 Stars
Character Rating 4.5 Stars
Romance Rating 1.5 Stars
Heat Level 1 Stars
Overall Rating 3 Stars

description

So…I tried to read this one a few different times, and I could never get myself to finish the sample on my Kindle. Well, I finally broke down because I wanted a good paranormal/fantasy read, and I’m super glad I did.
Was the beginning incredibly slow? Yes.
Was the rest of the book worth the horrible beginning? Heck yeah!
description

First, what I didn’t like…
The first 10% of the book.
It was sooooo b

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)