Start by marking “The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)

The Golden Lily

(Bloodlines #2)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  100,730 ratings  ·  6,252 reviews
Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. Alchemists protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

Sydney would love to go to college, but instead, she's been sent into hiding at a posh boarding school in Palm Springs, California - tasked with protecting Moroi princess Jill Dragomir from
Published June 12th 2012 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Lily, please sign up.
maybeimasquib It is the spinoff series, following the main character Sydney Melrose who was also in the Vampire Academy series. There are some characters from the…moreIt is the spinoff series, following the main character Sydney Melrose who was also in the Vampire Academy series. There are some characters from the previous series but new things happen in this series! It's quite interesting :)(less)
Emily Spirit is found rarely among the Moroi and it was only recently publicized so a new type of magic that can bring back the dead does sound very…moreSpirit is found rarely among the Moroi and it was only recently publicized so a new type of magic that can bring back the dead does sound very outlandish. If she presented this theory it would have possibly made her loose all advancements she had made and all credibility she had.(less)
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,514 books — 15,725 voters
YA Novels of 2012
1,322 books — 10,695 voters

More lists with this book...

·  100,730 ratings  ·  6,252 reviews

Start your review of The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
ReesesPieces
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
description
RICHELLE MEAD, I AM ABOUT TO TURN INTO A RAGING STRIGOI.
THAT WAS SERIOUSLY THE WORST ENDING EVER. LIKE WHAT THE--I CAN'T EVEN COMPREHEND HOW IDIOTIC SYDNEY IS. ADRIAN IS CLEARLY MEANT TO BE WITH HER.*HEAVY, MURDEROUS BREATHING*

THIS IS WHAT I FEEL LIKE DOING TO SYDNEY:
description

Okay enough with the caps.
The only thing is, I found it annoying how Adrian kept reiterating that he was a better person because of her. Like that hasn't ever come up in YA lit before..but still. He was pretty swoon-worthy. And I
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed
The Adrian & Sydney Fan Fav Scene!

Adrian & Sydney Blackout Scene!

Adrian YA Crush Tournament Winner!

That was soooo good! Adrian is soooo wonderful! I just want to lie naked at his feet covered in alcohol and cigarettes and beg him to have his way with me!

description

Adrian, my poor, sweet, sexy Adrian, he goes through a lot in this book. Working with Dimitri continues to bring up how inferior he feels. I thought Dimitri
~Poppy~
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Ever had that happen? Once you can’t have something, you want it that much more.”
“Yes,” he said bitterly. “It happens all the time.”

"I don't care if he's not the emotional type or the complimentary type or what. No one can look at you in this dress, in all that fire and gold, and start talking about anachronisms. If I were him, I would have said, 'You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth.”

“Sage?" Adrian lightly touched my arm, and I jumped at the feel
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

'You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth.'

Oh my god...this book! Wow. After enjoying Bloodlines immensely, it was pretty much inevitable that I would love The Golden Lily. This book exceeded all my expectations, and I'm more obsessed with this series now than I already was before. I just can't get enough of it!

In Bloodlines, the focus was on learning about the Alchemists and Sydney bonding with her new group of
mrsj
Apr 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped-series
I'm done.
No more.
Not interested. Thank you very much.
I am once again, the minority here among all my other goodreads friends.

So why don't I like this book?

These are my answers:
1) The whole book is BORING!!!

The only action that I read about is when they got jumped and that's it.

2) Sydney - IRRITATING as hell. There is only one Rose Hathaway. She is no heroine. No fighter. And she is annoying. The "intellectual" talk with the so called "date"?

3) Jill - seriously?
Just get killed already. People
I am quite excited with this re-read. It's always great to read the beginning of your favorite characters but seeing how much they ended up growing.
Pearl Angeli
Another successful buddyread with my sis Bea. You'll see her beautiful review when you click her name. :)

One word to fully describe the awesomeness of this book: ADRIAN.

description

Holy craaap! This boy is one of the best, swoon-worthy fictional guys and it's so unfair we could not see him in the flesh!

After reading this book, I was left utterly speechless and blown away. It was way too good! Most sequels in a series tend to give me some doubts with their potentials because oftentimes an author changes his
Jessica
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ahh. This book was awesome. I really really enjoyed the first book, but I think this book was a lot better! I can't wait to get the next!!

If you're reading this on your phone, there are spoilers ahead, so beware!

(view spoiler)
♥Rachel♥
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Alexa

4.5 Stars

When Vampire Academy ended and I found out we were getting a spinoff series, I was a little skeptical. I mean how to you top Rose and Dimitri? But after I found out it was centered on Sydney Sage, the awkward Alchemist, and Adrian the sexy, flippant but loveable Moroi, I was totally on board. I loved Bloodlines and after reading this, I think the series just keeps getting better.

In this installment, we pick up right where we left off in Bloodlines. The group is minus the traitorous
Flameholly161
SERIOUSLY????????????? I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL JUNE NOW??????????????????????? WTF HAPPENED TO THE MARCH RELEASE? OR EVEN THE MAY RELEASE???????????????

all I'm gonna say is that if Adrian and Sydney don't kiss AT LEAST once in this book I will be forced to go out and kill someone

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................

OK so now that
is mee... kissa
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5
holy jeezbus that was some ending! one word people: goosebumps.
my favourite bits were the ones with Adrian in it =D - typical Kissa response. He's just so damn irresistible.

the thing with the two books in this series is that I'm not particularly crazy about it in the beginning or the middle - not that i don't like it, it's just that it's not a "whoa!" kinda thing. But the lead up to the ending (and most importantly: the actual ending) grab me and whip me out of my "non-whoa!" state, only to
Isabella
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, favorites
After Reading it:

WHAT?
I MEAN...
WHAT???????????????????????????
YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME, RICHELLE, YOU CAN'T. THIS IS JUST CRUEL. C-R-U-E-L.

Ok, I can't really write what I feel right now. I don't think there are words to describe what I'm feeling, so I will just...

[image error]

I WILL NOT WAIT TILL FEBRUARY (but sadly, I will *NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*). THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH *NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*

***
FINALLY RELEASED!!! Finally on my shelf <3 My love, keep waiting just a little bit till I finish my
Stacia (the 2010 club)
"Rose once told me about this poem she'd read. There was this line, 'If your eyes weren't open, you wouldn't know the difference between dreaming and waking.' You know what I'm afraid of? That someday, even with my eyes open, I still won't know."

We always knew Adrian battled with the darkness that comes along with wielding spirit magic but something about this book really drove it home to me. In the original VA series, Adrian hid so much of his pain with a heavy dose of alcohol and humor. He
Jillian -always aspiring-
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoyed Bloodlines, the first book in the series
(Actual Rating: 3.5 stars)

The honest truth: coming into reading The Golden Lily, I remembered next to nothing of what had transpired in the first book, Bloodlines. I had some vague recollections of things Adrian had said (because, come on, who can forget what Adrian says?), the climax, and the scene where Adrian remarked about Sydney's eyes being like "molten gold." At first, I thought, "Oh, it's just you; the first book couldn't have been that unmemorable" -- but, after reading The Golden Lily,
Rachel
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I honestly hugged this book when I finished reading it! It was that amazing and heartwarming. The awesomeness that began at the end of Bloodlines starts immediately on the first page of The Golden Lily.

Richelle Mead is again the master of memorable scenes and addicting writing in The Golden Lily. I absolutely love how Mead planned a perfect installment to the series. She obviously has a plan for the Bloodline series where Sydney, Adrian, Jill, Eddie and Angeline will grow throughout and stand
Laz
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vampire heads
After a long break from reading books like a maniac I'm back on track at devouring books like snickers. I first gave this 3 stars but then I thought to myself "I am being to harsh" and so I changed my rating to that of 4 stars, and maybe I'm being generous but I liked this a lot, so that's what I made my mind up to.

Back on the amazing world of vampires, Richelle Mead created and which I'm grateful for. I'm no beginner to this world. I read VA two years ago and started Bloodlines a few months ago
Natasha Polis
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
It took me longer to finish this one. Still enjoyable but also again very predictable. So far it's mirroring the Vampire Academy series so I know it's just going to get better as the books go along! Adrian is still so lovable, but Eddie is still one of my favorite characters!
Chelsea Jay
Aug 22, 2011 marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read this.
I just read Bloodlines & I'm already looking forward to The Golden Lily.

My Assumptions:
Sydney gets over her fear of vampires ( atleast the living ones, not the Strigoi ).
Adrian moves on from Rose & deepens his relationship with Sydney.
Jill gets in a relationship with Mikah ( Mason #2 ) & everyone flips out.
Eddie dates Angeline to get over his love for Jill but fails miserable & someone gets killed ( probably Mikah ).
Dimitri is talking to Rose over the
Athena ღ
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
“You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth. And you don’t even know it. You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine.”

That ending tho.

Rimsa Ivashkov
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!!! This book was beyond all my expectations - and they were pretty high! I have been obsessed with this book for a very long time and to finally get to read it was so satisfying because it was totally worth the wait and i LOVED every word of it :)

In The Golden Lily, we get to learn more about the alchemists and the vampire hunters. Although, one of the major twists in this book was predictable for me, i still loved the plot and enjoyed it just as much. This book introduces a lot of new
Darlene
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
What to say, what to say…

Well, I love The Golden Lily. Love it, love it, love it. I had been waiting anxiously for this book for a while, and it did not disappoint me. I won’t lie, these first two Bloodlines books are very predictable, but there’s so much charm and quality that you don’t even care.

First, this is cast of very likeable characters. There’s our protagonist, Sydney, whom I love. Sydney is smart, but naïve, and very much awkward. It’s kind of unexpected, considering how cool and
~Tina~
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it

I can finally wear color again! My VA mourning-days are over;)
It's true, the first time I read Bloodline, it left a bit of a stake in my heart. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but I was mourning the fact that Rose and Dimitri's story is truly over, but after re-reading it again to prepare myself for Golden Lily, I'm pleased to say that I properly fell in love with this series like I was meant to from the beginning.

You know, I'm not sure what I should say in this review. A big part of
Wendy Darling
Better than Bloodlines, and yet still only as good as the last Vampire Academy book, in my opinion.

Sydney: much less annoying than in the previous book, but her issues are so predictably and rather clumsily written that it's hard to get attached to her. Still, she has a couple of decent, non-mousy scenes towards the end.

Jill: seriously, just let a hunter have her.

Adrian: some redeeming scenes here and there, but not nearly as attractive or as intriguing as he was in VA. It's disappointing that
Nadia Awadi
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adrian VS Eddie who will you choose?
me: Actually, I will take both. Thank you very much.

Rating: 4-shipping this so hard-stars

Everything is back to normal in Palm Springs. Except, it's never normal when dealing with vampires. Sydney, once again, has to deal with the Moroi living with her. She still hates it. Or does she? She's starting to question everything the alchemists have taught her.In other words: everything she believed in. And after some shocking revelations. Things are about to get
Katy
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHY OH WHY?!?

I really liked this book until the last page. GRRR!!! There was a REASON why it took me so long to read Bloodlines, and that was because I wasn't sure I wanted to see Adrian written with someone else. But now that Mead has gone and done it, for the love of everything holy, please just quit (view spoiler) Write me in instead. >_<

Okay, I'm calm now. On to the book...

I'm not sure what it was, but this book had a way of making you feel happy
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Buddy read with sis Pearl --> click to check her fabulous review :)

After 2 years, I have finally continued the Bloodlines series. I purposely put this off for a while and wait for the books to be released (now they are all out. i'm gonna binge read the series. I'm just not a fan of cliffhangers). It's a bit tough getting into the story and I'm glad Richelle Mead wrote snippets to refresh my mind on the events happened from the previous book.

Golden Lily is a fantastic sequel. The twists are
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
With The Golden Lily, Richelle Mead once again proved that the world she created for Rose and now Sydney is magical and alluring and that, due to that fact, she can get away with a lot.
First half of The Golden Lily is essentially plotless. The reader gets to spend time with all the familiar characters, and it’s reminiscent of spending an uneventful Sunday afternoon with your friends: everyone is relaxed and happy they’re there, and the entire thing is absolutely tension-free. The second half
Marina

Oh sweet deliverance. Be still my beating heart and all that stuff.

“Adrian stood there leaning against the doorframe, watching me with his heart in his eyes. In my chest, my own heart was breaking. On my cheek, the lily reminded me who I was. ”

I have to admit that at first I thought that this spin-off series would be somewhat found lacking compared to Vampire Academy. *hangs head in shame*
The truth is that, what keeps it from being awesome is the lack of a major, hardcore archenemy. Strigoi
hayden
Wow. Look at that cover!
I'm guessing it's Jill on the left and Sydney on the right. It's . . . not what I expected. I was thinking it was going to follow VA's color scheme. I'm glad it's not, though, because, I mean, who wants a clone?

Edit 8.31.11
Okay. First, it was March 1, 2012. Then, it was May 7th, 2012. Now it's June 17, 2012. Is anyone else as frustrated with these pushbacks as I am? I get it, I get it, yadda-yadda, Mead had a baby and she needs time with it. But now that he is actually
Whitney
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I enjoyed this better than the first one!! But Sydney, WHY ARE YOU SO STUBBORN?!

More thoughts tomorrow! I seem to always finish any book by Richelle Mead at 1 in the morning. I CAN NEVER PUT THEM DOWN.

I loved the first book in this series but this second book is my favorite so far. Adrian is hilarious and also adorable, while Sydney is completely oblivious to everything. I'm glad that Brayden did what he did by the end of the book because he was super BORING. I'm pretty sure everyone

• City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
  • The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)
  • Passion (Fallen, #3)
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)
  • The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
  • Betrayed (House of Night, #2)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away

Bloodlines (6 books)
  • Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)
  • The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)
  • The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
  • Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5)
  • The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6)
“I tried to be a better person for her– but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh. […] You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine.” 1236 likes
“Adrian, I'm on a date. Why are you here? On my car?” 711 likes