Jennifer's Reviews > The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Sep 01, 2011

bookshelves: signed

The Adrian & Sydney Fan Fav Scene!

Adrian & Sydney Blackout Scene!

Adrian YA Crush Tournament Winner!

That was soooo good! Adrian is soooo wonderful! I just want to lie naked at his feet covered in alcohol and cigarettes and beg him to have his way with me!

description

Adrian, my poor, sweet, sexy Adrian, he goes through a lot in this book. Working with Dimitri continues to bring up how inferior he feels. I thought Dimitri was rather rude to him a few times but then again I am very protective of my Adrian. Also a visit with his dad reminds us how much Adrian has been put down all his life. They will sure be sorry when Adrian cures all the Stroigoi, saves Moroi kind, and becomes a big hero and they build statues of him. Adrian is very smart, caring, loyal and talented and just needs someone to believe in him. And Sydney does. She continues to support him and I felt them grow so much closer but we still have a very long journey ahead.

I am not a big fan of Sydney but she did grow on me a tiny bit in this one. Trey sets her up with Brayden, her twin basically. Sydney tries to have fun with him since he is on her level intellectually but she finds herself worrying about someone else... I felt Sydney finally letting down her guard with the vampires and she really worried and cared about my Adrian, so big bonus points! As much as I am growing to like her, I was still disappointed with some of her actions. (Like not immediately jumping Adrian?! lol) She does have a lot of lifelong prejudices to overcome. The alchemists are scary, bad people, and we see in this book what happens when someone is too friendly with the vampires. Sydney will need a lot of strength to break away from them like I hope she will eventually.

It didn't help that Jill was discussing her own troubled love life with her. Jill was a bit annoying to me in Bloodlines and while she is still naive, I found that she was maturing. She wants to date and thinks that maybe she can have something casual with Micah. She quickly realizes how difficult keeping secrets can be and that being with a human could never be a permanent thing. Jill begins to take her position as sister to the queen seriously and a human/moroi relationship is simply not allowed. I do feel really bad for Jill and the position she is in.

Eddie is still her loyal protector. I love Eddie and also felt a lot of growth with his character. I was very happy with all the character developments. In Bloodlines I really didn't enjoy anyone but Adrian and of course he is still the absolute best part, star of the show, wouldn't be anything without him, but I enjoyed everyone during this book. Eddie is so kind even when trying to keep the new frisky Angeline off his back. She likes to rub up on him during training and well who wouldn't. Angeline was so funny. She was completely out there and did whatever she wanted, causing a lot of trouble for Sydney.

I just want to go on and on, especially about Adrian, but I must stop myself. I've probably said too much already! I'm very happy it was the next level of action, romance, character development and Adrian awesomeness that I was hoping for. Adrian continues to swoon an amaze me. I shall head back to my Adrian altar and continuing worshiping until the next book. Feel free to join me. Can't wait to see what happens next.

-Prisoner 24601

"Really, Sage? A date?"
I sighed. "Yes, Adrian. A date."
"A real date. Not, like, doing homework together," he added. "I mean like where you go out to a movie or something. And a movie that's not part of a school assignment. Or about something boring."
"A real date."

I'd mentioned this odd wardrobe choice to Adrian a couple of weeks ago:
"Isn't Dimitri hot?"
Adrian's response hadn't been entirely unexpected:
"Well, yeah, according to most women, at least."

"I'm not really qualified to install a security system," said Dimitri.
"Really? There's something that you can't do?" Adrian's voice was so soft that I could barely hear him, and he was sitting right next to me.

"You'd give up drinking to go see your dad?"

"I don't know," said Adrian thoughtfully. "I find prostitutes vastly important."

Adrian ordered a martini, earning disapproving looks from his father and me.
"It's barely noon," said Nathan.
"I know," said Adrian. "I'm surprised I held out that long too."

"Never thought I'd see the day when you'd throw your arms around a vam - someone like me."

"Doesn't matter. I've decided I don't like him."
"Because he's too smart?" I said. I remember Jill and Eddie's early comments. "And unmemorable?"
"Nah. I just think you can do better."

"He shouldn't have said that," repeated Adrian, eerily serious. He leaned his face toward mine. "I don't care if he's not the emotional type or the complimentary type or what. No one can look at you in this dress, in all that fire and gold, and start talking about anachronisms. If I were him, I would have said, 'You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth.'"

"You're in an awfully good mood," he observed. "Was there a sale at Khakis-R-Us?"

"Why would you do that? Why would you act like you didn't know how to drive?"
"Isn't it obvious, Sage? No, of course it isn't. I did it so I'd have a reason to be around you-one I knew you couldn't refuse."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Lily.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Richelle Mead
“Adrian, I'm on a date. Why are you here? On my car?”

Richelle Mead
“Day 24. Situation is growing worse. My captors continue to find new and horrific ways to torture me. When not working, Agent Scarlet spends her days examining fabric swatches for bridesmaid dresses and going on about how in love she is. This usually causes Agent Boring Borscht to regale us with stories of Russian weddings that are even more boring than his usual ones. My attempts at escape have been thwarted thus far. Also, I am out of cigarettes. Any assistance or tobacco products you can send will be greatly appreciated.
-Prisoner 24601”

Richelle Mead
“You're in an awfully good mood," he observed. "Was there a sale at Khakis-R-Us?”

Richelle Mead
“He shouldn't have said that," repeated Adrian, eerily serious. He leaned his face toward mine. "I don't care if he's not the emotional type or the complimentary type or what. No one can look at you in this dress, in all that fire and gold, and start talking about anachronisms. If I were him, I would have said, 'You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian ordered a martini, earning disapproving looks from his father and me.
'It's barely noon,' said Nathan.
'I know,' said Adrian. 'I'm surprised I held out that long too.”

Richelle Mead
“You'd give up drinking to go see your dad?"
"Well, not permanently," he said. "That'd be ridiculous. But maybe I could switch to something slightly cheaper for a while. Like...slushes. Do you know how much I love those? Cherry, especially.”

September 1, 2011 – Shelved
May 25, 2012 – Started Reading
page 1
0.24% "I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants! LOL I'm about to be together again with my husband Adrian Ivashkov!!! Thanks @JenRyland"
page 42
10.05% "Rude! You can't just come up in Adrian's work and say those things like a joke after what you did to him. Pif!"
page 101
24.16% ""You'd give up drinking to go see your dad?"\n "Well, not permanently," he said. "That'd be ridiculous. But maybe I could switch to something slightly cheaper for a while. Like...slushes. Do you know how much I love those? Cherry, especially.""
May 26, 2012 –
page 146
34.93% "Adrian ordered a martini, earning disapproving looks from his father and me.\n "It's barely noon," said Nathan.\n "I know," said Adrian. "I'm surprised I held out that long too.""
May 26, 2012 –
page 357
May 26, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 15, 2015 – Shelved as: signed

Becky So jealous right now! Hope you enjoy.

Anne-Marie Mathiesen That's soo unfair! :(

Patricia You got an ARC? I HATE YOU.

message 4: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody Adrian <3

Tabatha Ugh.. I can't wait to read Golden Lily!

message 6: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI I wanna read Gold Lily SOOOOOO bad, but I've got a gazillion books I'm trying to make my way through right now. You LUCKY!!!

Belinda jealous ;-)

Becky Im so jealous of you right now.

Mitchii *so jealous* But I'm happy that you loved it! <3

Taylor Jealous that I can't read this yet! lol.But really happy you loved it, can't wait to see your review <3 Adrian!

nick Jennifer !!!!!
That is just too evil ! :P
Those quotes just killed me.
Glad you loved it though :D

Mitchii Yay! thanks. The quotes will keep my excitement in check. ;)

Jennifer Glad I could help :-D

manda-rae I absolutely loved the first three sentences of your review!

Rimsa Ivashkov Great teasers :D Is the Day 24 one from Adrian's POV or something?

message 16: by ajia (new) - rated it 5 stars

ajia why is he in prison?

Jennifer @Rimsa & Ajia

He isn't really in prison. It's an email he is writing to Sydney because he is miserable at his new job working with Sonya and Dimitri.

Laura I just read your review! My sister had to hold me back from racing to the store to buy the book now. Also its 9pm so its not even open. I didn't even know it was out! I am such a bad fan!!

Rimsa Ivashkov lol, his email is HILARIOUS!

Jess (the cozy reader) Loved Adrian's email. Christ, I love that man. Can't wait to read your full review!

Venessa I can't wait to read this book, thanks for the review:)

Jennifer Persephone wrote: "I just read your review! My sister had to hold me back from racing to the store to buy the book now. Also its 9pm so its not even open. I didn't even know it was out! I am such a bad fan!!"

haha no you are not a bad fan. It's not out till June 12th.

Jennifer Jessie wrote: "Loved Adrian's email. Christ, I love that man. Can't wait to read your full review!"

Adrian is the greatest fictional character ever. If he were real I would literally throw myself at his feet naked lol

Jess (the cozy reader) Jennifer wrote: "Jessie wrote: "Loved Adrian's email. Christ, I love that man. Can't wait to read your full review!"

Same here! We know Adrian would love that ;)

Heidi Despite the fact that I am super jealous that you read this before me... I loved your review. This line:

made me laugh my butt off. Adrian is great! I can't wait for this one!

Jennifer Heidi wrote: "Despite the fact that I am super jealous that you read this before me... I loved your review. This line:

made me laugh my butt off. Adrian is great! I can't wait for this one! "

LOL Sometimes I can be pretty funny but for that I just spoke the truth. I love me some Adrian!

Noémy THANK YOU SO MUCH for those teasers !!!! that email…it’s too funy Adrian’s awesome I can't get enough of him lol great review !! Only two more weeks until this book comes out ahhhhhhhh

Rachel I love Adrian too! And how he nicknamed Dmitri "Boring Borscht" I can't wait for the third book! I love how much Jill is maturing and like her much more then Lissa. I always like sydney, probably because she reminds me of myself, in the observer way not the super smart way.
Fantastic review!

message 29: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Great review:D sounds like a must read.

Sofia T. (♥ Dimitri Belikov) I'm so jealous!!!!Can't wait to read it!!!!

Rilee Kethman-Roberts that's an odd thing too say....

Alexandra the quotes are killing me....

Rilee Kethman-Roberts The golden lily is amazing, best book i've ever read... ever.

Jennifer Adrian <3
*SWOON*

Jennifer Arevalo Omg ! I loved these quotes!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this book!!! It's finally coming out tomorrow(: I just LOVEEE Adrian!

is mee... kissa love the quotes!

message 37: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI I really want Sydney and Adrian to get together. It'd be good for them both (helping Sydney with her dating skills and Adrian would be less heart broken over Rose dumping him). I always liked Adrian, but it was obvious that Rose and Dimitri belonged together. I'm glad Richelle Mead made this series so that Sydney and Adrian will get their happy endings too. She probably read the comments people made (including me) about how unfair it was that Adrian didn't get a happy ending at the end of the vampire academy series.

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties Wait, I thought it wasn't out yet...?

Jennifer ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "Wait, I thought it wasn't out yet...?"

It was released June 12th

Keren I hope you don't mind it too much Jennifer but I think I'll join you and we'll worship Adrian together.

Lizzie my thoughts exactly

Laura Hahah I like you first paragraph ;)

message 43: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby *Warning, long-ass comment headed your way* When I read this, I was like: "SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS!!" It was literally like Christmas morning. I LOVE ADRIAN. He is my absolute favourite character from the VA and Bloodlines series. That speech at the end of Last Sacrifice when he went: "I. LOVED. YOU. And you used me the whole time." That was it for me. It was then that I knew for sure, Adrian would die with me as one of my most beloved characters. Anywhoo, I agree with you Dimitri was out of line sometimes with the jokes and comments, if I were him I would shut up and silently hope for Adrian's forgiveness, because he was wrong too.You know how in tv shows when someone says something [Dimitri] and everyone gives them 'the look' and they go "Too soon?". That's how I felt when I read those scenes and ohmigod I was so happy about how passionate Adrian is about Sydney. I know it's only been a couple of months since LS, but this is one time I can accept the whole, 'I-have-seen-the-light, you're the one for me thing he has going on for Sydney'. It's like when you kinda like someone because they're okay to hang out with and they're not bad-looking but you don't have a crush on them and soon because you're together all the time and you get to see the parts of them no one else does, you fall in love with everything about them, even the parts you can't really understand. Adrian was so attuned to her. And I get what he was saying with Rose. He really loved her and she did use him. All throughout their relationship, she was hell-bent on saving Dimitri's ass (I still love Rose and Dimitri just nowhere near as much as Adrian) but he supported Rose, he tried everything to make her love him as much as she loved Dimitri, even trying to change who he was by quitting smoking and drinking and whatever else was in that dating proposal. But with Sydney, she accepts him, cigarettes and all and she does betters him without the aid of contracts, and promises and lies. She lets him be, but gives her thoughts and opinions in a non-nagging, helpful kind of way. She's never once asked him to give up something or change (even though they're not dating). She takes him as is, while still letting her feelings about certain aspects of his behaviour and lifestyle known. She's perfect for him. She inspires him. Without a stinking contract. Sydney isn't one of my favourite characters but her with Adrian, I gotta support that 110% ;D That moment when he told everyone to leave her alone and that ending....I was just like, Marry me, Adrian. Please.

message 44: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 04, 2012 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer "I. LOVED. YOU. And you used me the whole time."

That scene broke my heart! I hated the way Rose used him. Adrian gave her all his money, time, heart and anything she needed and she just used it to help Dimitri. It was sad :-( Adrian deserves way better. The way his father treats him and everyone treats him it's no wonder he doesn't feel like he can make something of himself. And yeah maybe Dimitri was only joking and maybe Adrian wouldn't have cared if Sydney or Eddie said those things but with their circumstances Dimitri shouldn't joke or pick on Adrian. Totally TOO SOON! I expected him to at least apologize. Dimitri did way wrong too. He should have never let anything happen between him and Rose until Rose broke up with Adrian. After everything Adrian did to get Rose out of jail and to trust Dimitri to take care of Rose. That sucks major. I love that Sydney sees the good in Adrian an inspires him but doesn't pick on him. Now Sydney just needs to see the wrong with the alchemists and break away. Adrian was sooooo sweet and protective of Sydney. But that doesn't really surprise me cause he has always been there for anyone that needs him. He is an awesome person and he can't help that Spirit makes him need cigarettes and alcohol. He handles his Spirit better than Lissa and Sonya handled their Spirit.

message 45: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Jennifer wrote: ""I. LOVED. YOU. And you used me the whole time."

Yeah, I remember that scene. It was SO sad. I really felt for Adrian, but Rose loved Dimitri more. Thatz why I am happy that Richelle Mead made the Bloodlines series.

message 46: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby I know right! Adrian's time to shine! :D

message 47: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Abby wrote: "I know right! Adrian's time to shine! :D"

I agree! Itz time for Adrian to have a happy ending too.

Adriana C " I shall head back to my Adrian altar and continuing worshiping until the next book. Feel free to join me" LOL!

Isabella i'm half way through :D

Renée I worship him everyday. XD <3