SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Need Reading Recommendations

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Hello All,
I was just wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions on some good sci-fi books. I've been stuck in kind of an Orson Scott Card rut lately and I would like to read some other authors but I have no idea where to start.

I've read Joe Haldeman in the past as well.

Thanks,
Julie :)

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert (The_One) | 31 comments If you like Card's scifi work (assuming you're referring to the Ender series), then you should look into John Scalzi and Kim Stanley Robinson. They're both great scifi authors that write about setting similar to Card's depending on which book you read. If you're going with Scalzi, I'd start with Old Man's War. If you're going with Kim Stanley Robinson, then you have to go with Red Mars. Hope this helps.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Thank you for the recommendations. I will look them up and add them to my list. :)

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I would also recommand Armor by John Steakley or Foundation by Isaac Asimov, which are both in the introduction to Ender's Game. Foundation, was the first science fiction book Orson Scott Card read when he was sixten. It was the reason he wanted to write science fiction.

Also I would recommand like Ender's Game one being military fiction and the other a classic and epic long series like Ender's Game. The first one is Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein and the other is Dune by Frank Herbert.

Lastly if you're looking for the ideas behind Ender's Game, you got to read Orson Scott Card's first work of fiction, even though a lot of people have not read it, The Worthing Saga.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Thank you! :)

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Julie wrote: "Thank you! :)"

You welcome!

message 7: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Pennefather | 55 comments While, The Understanding:The Jump-Clones, by Dennis Pennefather, is a sci-fi debut for the author,Reviewers are saying some great things about it:

"......First-class,very clever....had the feeling of Wyndham's, Midwich Cuckoos, or Huxley's, Brave New World......Compulsive reading...".Graham Cass, reviewing for NZ's Hawkes Bay Today, newspaper.

"Has the makings of a cult classic.....Thought provoking and truely intriguing storyline....."
Simon Pearse reviewing for NZ's CHB Mail.

Taylor, a woman from Bellingham WA, reviewing on Goodreads, gives The Understanding one more approval star than she gave other classics such as The Da Vinci code.
She said:

" Even those who don't often read scifi will be intrigued by The Understanding.
The alternative philosophy presented is extremely interesting in itself and well woven into a fastpaced story that doesn't let the reader put it down. Deserves to be read with an open mind"

I'm trying not to spam here, but feel that you would surely enjoy this novel, especially if you are feeling jaded by different versions of same old, same old.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check into it. :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been really getting into Peter F. Hamilton lately. Check out Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained for some very good space opera, awesome world building, and a complex story.

message 10: by Brett (last edited Jun 03, 2012 10:15AM) (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 148 comments There are so many Julie!
Are you interested in any particular sub-genre of Science Fiction?
Science Fiction Space Opera
SF Action
SF Alien worlds
SF Battle/War
Etc.

The above recommendations are all good ones. I will give you a few of my favorites too. Many of these are series and most of this list are older books that I think exceptional must reads for any Science Fiction reader. The last 2 series in the list are newer and beautifully written.
I could go on for a long time but would most likely put you to sleep.

Neuromancer, by William Gibson
Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein
Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson
A Canticle For Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller
Ringworld, by Larry Niven
The Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons
The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman
The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Mote In God's Eye, by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
Rendezvous With Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke
The Culture Series, by Iain M. Banks
Homeward Bound, by Harry Turtledove
Samuil Petrovitch Trilogy, by Simon Morden
Avery Cates series, by Jeff Somers

message 11: by Traci (new)

Traci My new favorite is Spin.

message 12: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 148 comments Traci wrote: "My new favorite is Spin."

By Robert Charles Wilson? It's the first of a fantastic trilogy. Each novel as good or better than the previous one.

message 13: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 148 comments There is a series I read a while back and the author and title is just at the front of my isty-bitsy brain...

It is about an alien attack and a rich man builds a ship to defend Earth after we are discovered by a federation of alien races. The ship is a hollowed out asteroid ...

Anyone recognize this? It's driving me nuttier.

message 14: by Ric (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 17 comments You've got some great suggestions. If still considering more books, I would say Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns, Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End, Peter Watts' Blindsight.

message 15: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 148 comments You bet Ric. those are great. Man, I just have so many I have read and reread over the years.48 years of reading with Science Fiction the main genre. A few more authors and then I'll stop with the lists.!

Jack Campbell
David Weber
Ian Douglas
John Ringo
Mike Shepherd
John Birmingham
Taylor Anderson
Steven L Kent
Eric Flint
S M Stirling
Elizabeth Moon
David Drake