The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - March 2012 Edition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments As always, just wondering what everyone is reading for the first month of Spring? I'm still reading my way slowing though Deadhouse Gates, which is getting better.

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I'm reading A Game of Thrones. Loving it! I'm so glad I can enjoy this type of book again. Now I have to make my way to that thread in which that man who has a Trek officer for an icon accused me of not liking fantasy.

message 3: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments jumped the gun!!! It's leap year!!! :)

message 4: by Nevan (last edited Feb 29, 2012 03:45PM) (new)

Nevan | 143 comments I'm sick and tired of spending my time gawping at stuff on Reddit, so I've set myself a lofty goal for March: I'm going to try to readThe Lies of Locke Lamora, Blood Meridian, Free Fall: A Sniper's Story(I could be the first person to rate it on this site, The Secret History of the World: As Laid Down by the Secret Societies , and Why the West Rules—for Now: The Patterns of History, and What They Reveal About the Future.

message 5: by Almira (new)

Almira (Imbre) | 17 comments I'm reading Beowulf and Song of Roland for a class I teach, does that count?

message 6: by Almira (new)

Almira (Imbre) | 17 comments Waiting impatiently for the new Kim Stanley Robinson book, too!

message 7: by Skaw (new)

Skaw | 116 comments I'm in the middle of Redlaw, just finished A Perfect Blood and Leviathan Wakes. I'm looking forward to my pre-ordered Bridge of Dreams by Anne Bishop and Fair Game by Patricia Briggs. *breaks out in giddy, girl-like squeal*
I'm considering trying Lies of Locke Lamora again, since it's the current book. I started it once and for some reason my attention wandered, no specific reason why.

message 8: by Silvan (new)

Silvan | 20 comments I'm reading Post Captain, the second book in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series. I got the audiobook narrated by Patrick Tull who does an excellent job in bringing the characters to life.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:10PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3538 comments Mod
Micah wrote: "jumped the gun!!! It's leap year!!! :)

"

I was already 8 hours into March when this thread started & it's the first month of Autumn not Spring in my hemisphere ;-)

I'm reading Anathem. It's taken about 200 pages but I am just starting to enjoy it.

Sometimes I feel that Neal Stephenson over complicates his books on purpose.

message 10: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 52 comments I'm working my way through the audiobook of Shadows in Flight, A Game of Thrones and getting ready to start The Lies of Locke Lamora.

message 11: by Been (new)

Been | 125 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way through Throne of the Crescent Moon right now. Starting to slow down my reading now after a crazy number of books in Jan/Feb (considering I usually only get to read on the bus to work anyway).

message 12: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I'm reading The Hunger Games trilogy (just started Catching Fire), Terror by Dan Simmons, Wolf Gift by Anne Rice and a collection of essays on the Buddhist doctrine of conventional truth called Moonshadows: Conventional Truth in Buddhist Philosophy.

message 13: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Kevin wrote: "As always, just wondering what everyone is reading for the first month of Spring? I'm still reading my way slowing though Deadhouse Gates, which is getting better."

the Malazan Book of the Fallen sits near the top on my list of favorite fantasy series. It is complex, sometimes confusing, sometimes boring, but very rewarding.
I encourage you to keep up with the series.

message 14: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I'm convinced about the Malazan series now that I've heard similar comments. I like books that make my brain work overtime. Otherwise, I get bored with a book. I especially get impatient when the boring book made me read almost a thousand pages hoping that I will find it interesting.

message 15: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Aloha wrote: "I'm convinced about the Malazan series now that I've heard similar comments. I like books that make my brain work overtime. Otherwise, I get bored with a book. I especially get impatient when th..."

The Malazan books will give your brain a workout.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I'm getting my literature on the month and reading Nabokov's The Real Life of Sebastian Knight.

message 17: by Joe (new)

Joe Deisler | 50 comments I'm doing a reread of The Hitchhiker's Guide and am currently on The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Along with that, I am also reading Unpossible and Other Stories and have enjoyed the first two stories so far.

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Just finished The Crimson Labyrinth, which is similar to Battle Royale and The Hunger Games but with a much greater focus on game theory. Oh, and the designers of the scenario modeled it after an old Steve Jackson Games type book.

message 19: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Aloha wrote: "I'm convinced about the Malazan series now that I've heard similar comments. I like books that make my brain work overtime. Otherwise, I get bored with a book. I especially get impatient when th..."

Are you familiar with R. Scott Bakker? If you like to be challenged, I would suggest checking him out.

message 20: by Micah (last edited Mar 01, 2012 09:26AM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I was already 8 hours into March when this thread started & it's the first month of Autumn not Spring in my hemisphere ;-)"

you're from the FUTURE???? I BOW DOWN TO YOU GOOD SIR!!!! Do you guys have jetpacks yet? ;)

And autumn in March? You future people are all so silly.

For march I just started Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume I 2 & 3 on audio. It has quite a few different narrators and should be very good. It is 27 hours long though so I may be reading it into April depending on how work goes.

I am also going to finish Thinner and start up A Storm of Swords when spring break hits. Should be able to finish that one in a week. I had to stop reading them because they interfered so much with my limited time to do school work.

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 116 comments I'm continuing with 1Q84 this month. I'm enjoying it so far but I haven't gotten to the point where I'm really hooked yet. I'm only 11% in so hopefully I'll have more time to read it coming up.

I started The War of the Worlds yesterday. I have a lot of books on my TBR list for this month (more than I know I'll read), so I'm glad that I have spring break in a week.

message 22: by Brad (new)

Brad | 21 comments I'm finishing up "A Clash of Kings" in time for the new season of "Game of Thrones". Then, I'll try to finish up "The Lies of Locke Lamora", which I'd have never discovered without the Sword and Laser. After that, I have a Hard Case Crime book called "Somebody Owes Me Money". The title alone is enough to perk my interest.

message 23: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments I read Mastiff by Tamora Pierce. She's written some fun books. This isn't one of them.

Back to The Kingdom of Gods, which I'm enjoying much more. Also Locke Lamora on audio (the narrator sounds very plummy to me) which counts as a re-read.

message 24: by Caribeth (new)

Caribeth (kiwides) | 2 comments I'm reading Locke Lamora as well as Bike Snob and Mob rule, I just had a hard time picking just one.

message 25: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments I'm so behind on my reading, work is kicking my tail. :(

Still working through The Lies of Locke Lamora and listening to Wild Cards. Also, I loaded up the Charles Stross story posted in another thread here and a story written by a friend onto my Kindle, so I hope to get to those this weekend.

message 26: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I'm waiting for Tom's next pick
fill the,"phasers on obliterate"
slot on my reading list.

message 27: by Kevin (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:43PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments How do you like Wild Cards so far, terpkristin? Its one of my favorites. Do you think it changed the superhero story as Watchmen or Batman: The Dark Knight Returns did?

message 28: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments I'm loving Wild Cards. It's a bunch of origin stories that work REALLY well together. I'm not usually a fan of superhero stories, but thisone just works for me. It's rather character-driven, but the characters are believable. I never thought, for example, that I could pity a thief...but here I am, totally sympathetic to The Sleeper's situation. Can't compare.it to those others, as I haven't read them, but I'm really enjoying it. Also, in the audio version, the narration is quite good.

message 29: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments I can't believe I'm admitting this here, but...I don't have a book to read for March yet. Use of Weapons kind of broke me and I needed a day or to to recover. (In a REALLY GOOD WAY, people. Seriously, read this book. SO GOOD.)

message 30: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 59 comments After some really major disappointments I've started reading "The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson ... I'm a couple of hundred pages in, and I love it! :-)

The major disappointments I've read in the last couple of weeks is The Passage (which was just "bleh", not really bad per se, but definitely not worth 1000 pages), The Night Circus (which was outright bad - jup it sucked big time) and World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (which was just a bore, an example of a good idea turned wrong).

Anyways, so far I love The Way of Kings, if the rest of the book is as good as the first 200 pages I might have read a conteder for best read of the year for me :-)

message 31: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 691 comments In anticipation of the upcoming movie, I'm listening to the audiobook "A Princess of Mars.".

message 32: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Jess wrote: "I can't believe I'm admitting this here, but...I don't have a book to read for March yet. Use of Weapons kind of broke me and I needed a day or to to recover. (In a REALLY GOOD WAY, people. Seri..."

I was looking at your To Read shelf and if you are looking for a new book to start, I suggest 1Q84. It's a challenge, but Murakami's (and the translator(s)] use of language is hypnotic. It was a really good read (I rate it 4/5).

message 33: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Mummi wrote: "After some really major disappointments I've started reading "The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson ... I'm a couple of hundred pages in, and I love it! :-)

The major..."

I enjoyed Way of Kings, look forward to the next volume in the series.

message 34: by Samus5678 (new)

Samus5678 | 17 comments I am still reading Hunger games, finishing up The Hunt For Red October and I just started the Word Bearers Omnibus.

message 36: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Continuing on the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Also burned up a GC to get some military history books by David Glantz I have been looking at and will start those when I get them.

message 37: by William (new)

William (willtoread) I'm just starting The Problems of Philosophyand will then read The Saga of the Volsungs. I also have to catch up on issues of Interzone (SF story magazine), Cemetery Dance, and Black Static (both horror story magazines).

message 38: by Nicholas (last edited Mar 02, 2012 03:08PM) (new)

Nicholas | 27 comments I figure I'll finish The Lies of Locke Lamora tonight. I'm also in the middle of Mockingjay and Blood Meridian, so I'll likely try to wrap those up too in the next week or so. After that...I'm not sure. So many books lying around here.

message 39: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I download the sample chapter of
The Trilisk Ruins from Amazon.
It looks interesting. I think I'll buy it...
Right after I get through the other 50 books
that are in front of it.

message 40: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I'm starting The Hunger Games. Listened to the audio but want to read it before I read the rest of the series.
Next up are Our Mutual Friend or Twelve. I intend to read them both just I'm not sure which first.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Trying to get through Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. It's just kind of a slog so far.

After that, probably read Timeless to finish off that series.

message 42: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments I am finishing up Anno Dracula with Akata Witch in the wings. I was thinking of closing a kind of trifecta with a werewolf book, but with all the Malazan chatter in the club I think I will have to reread it again soon.

Also listening to Moby Dick. The narrator Frank Muller is wonderful and sounds just like Jack Lemmon.

message 43: by Jonathan Cate (new)

Jonathan Cate | 57 comments Finished Monster Hunter International and moving on to Halting State

message 44: by Ken (new)

Ken | 141 comments Just finished Hybrids and am about 1/3 the way through Ride With Me Mariah Montana by Ivan Doig. I'm also doing the audio of the final Dark Tower book, but haven't been driving enough to finish it lately.

message 45: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (railer) | 9 comments I finished The Lies of Locke Lamora last night and went straight onto the next book. Currently about 100 pages into The Long Ships. Also slowly working my way through Steve Jobs.

message 46: by Amy (last edited Mar 04, 2012 03:52AM) (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments Because I've been feeling scattered for the last while, I've got 5 books on the go right now. Which is silly, but kind of just happened.

My "project" book right now is Great Expectations, which I'm reading in honour of Dickens' 200th birthday. I only read a chapter or two a week, so it goes slowly.

I'm re-reading Kushiel's Mercy, which I started because I had struggled through 3 books in a row not grabbing me and wanted a break. I'm back to new stuff, but still have this on the go as a palette cleanser.

I started The Demi-Monde: Winter, and while good, it isn't propelling me forward, so I started Timeless yesterday for something light on the side.

I also started Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking as my non-fiction read, since I loved the author's TED Talk and it's a topic that applies to me.

Phew. Hopefully my ability to focus will return soon.

Oh yeah! I also have the audiobook of Clash of Kings on the go, in preparation for season 2.

message 47: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments Ok, I've put 1Q84 on hold at the library (in both digital and dead tree forms, I'll read whichever comes to me first) and have started Empire State. It's not really grabbing me so far, I'll have to check out those old threads to see if the writing improves.

message 48: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeatlast) | 52 comments I'm still chipping away at Empire State, embarrassingly enough. I like the writing and the world, but it's still not exactly my cup of tea. But I won't give up! In addition to that, I am almost done with Throne of the Crescent Moon (charming, but it's not a very deep book) and am approaching the half-way mark on The Monsters Of Templeton, which is slow going, not because it isn't good, but because it's one of my back-log of dead tree books. And I'm still on 'break' from The Iron Dragon's Daughter because it hurt my head. But I was 70% in! So maybe I will bravely return to it soon.

Usually, I need to read about 3-5 books at a time to be happy, so I'm planning on starting Timeless (I pre-ordered!) and Slave to Sensation (for Vaginal Fantasy Hangout) in the next few days.

HOWEVER, I still have one last slot to fill and I can't decide which one to start. Help?

1) Wither
2) Demon Angel
3) The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
4) Bitter Seeds (#1 contender, so far, since I have it waiting for me on audiobook)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, Bree.

message 50: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments Just finished Paul of Dune. Found the first 5 John Carter books on Kindle for $0.99. Listening to Assassin's Quest and need make my next pick soon.

« previous 1 3 4