Start by marking “The Terror” as Want to Read:
The Terror

The Terror

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  31,863 ratings  ·  3,519 reviews
The men on board HMS Terror have every expectation of triumph. As part of the 1845 Franklin Expedition, the first steam-powered vessels ever to search for the legendary Northwest Passage, they are as scientifically supported an enterprise as has ever set forth. As they enter a second summer in the Arctic Circle without a thaw, though, they are stranded in a nightmarish lan ...more
Published January 8th 2007 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Terror, please sign up.
Benjamin Atkinson I believe, IMHO, that Mr. Simmons was referring to the lack of humility that Western Society has displayed (see Titanic) and many other examples. The…moreI believe, IMHO, that Mr. Simmons was referring to the lack of humility that Western Society has displayed (see Titanic) and many other examples. The terror in this novel is many things it is the physical, visceral hell those men lived through, it is the terror of the unknown. But ultimately, I believe, the overarching terror is that the men leading this incredible expedition brought everything with them except a true knowledge of how the indigenous peoples survived cold climates with minimal technology. Same problem seen in America's approach to Vietnam; we did not understand the situation on the ground before we attacked. Iraq, Afghanistan, ad infinitum. Thank you for your question. Do you have any great book recommendations for me. I love hard sci-fiction and anything to do with survival and the psychology of isolation(less)
Arlem Llahsram Historically they were never found. Neither was Crozier or the Terror. Erebus was located a few years ago sunk and by way of sonar, Terror has not…moreHistorically they were never found. Neither was Crozier or the Terror. Erebus was located a few years ago sunk and by way of sonar, Terror has not shown up. Not many bodies were recovered. Many crew are still missing.(less)

mark monday
To: Mr. Dan Simmons
From: Associated Publishing Industries Unlimited, Ltd.
Subject: Your Recent Submission The Terror

Thank you for your recent submission. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not see a fit between your product and our company's goals.

Although our senior staff appreciated your technical ability, we noted several serious issues with your submission that need to be resolved prior to your product finding placement. These include, but are not limited to:

1. Extensive and Excessive Length
karen
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
**lo! i have made a readalike list for this book over on riffle!**

oh my god, let me never get scurvy.

i am glad i am such a grad-school overachiever. for both the horror/sci-fi and mystery portions of my readers' advisory class, i have read one extra title from the selection list, and both times, i have liked the extra title best. (i did not choose to read an extra romance title, so we will never know how that would have turned out, alas)

this book is a rar
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 on kindle US 7-27-17

People, just turn around and go home!

I probably shouldn't have went and read some facts about the history of this book because I might mess this review up. It's just so freaking interesting and I want to read about it. The author left a lot of resources for books at the end and there is one I'm going to try to get for sure.

The fact that Dan Simmons added an horror element to a historic novel is pretty awesome. And there are so many characters that I liked in th
Amanda
Sep 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
September 7, 2010: I don't want to talk about it right now. It's too soon and the pain is still too fresh. I shall review on another day.

September 17, 2010: It's been well over a week since my encounter with The Terror and the thought of writing a review still exhausts me, but here it goes.

I have read many glowing reviews of The Terror. That is, in fact, why I bought it. I mean, check out this kick ass plot:

Two British ships, the Terror and the Erebus, are frozen in the polar sea for years, wa
Ginger
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, buddy-read
Whew! I finished it. Wowza!
This is such a long book!!!!!!!

Don’t go into this one unless you enjoy big books, having the patience to let the story evolve and knowing that the pace can be slow at times.

I stuck in there from the beginning and the ending was well worth it! I was struggling in the beginning because the first 10 or so chapters in this book alternate between the present and the past when the Franklin expedition was started.
It also has different POV chapters with characters so also know
Michael
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why am I reading so many books about the cold? Maybe because it's freezing here in Chicago!

This is a buddy read with Cristina, and I'll review as I go.

The first couple of hundred pages were surprisingly slow-going. There was very little propulsion about the plot--just occasional glimpses of the "terror" along with long passages of backstory that I didn't really find compelling. I don't know why I reacted like that. Maybe it was because I'd just read Crime and Punishment, another (and very differ
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See this review and more like it at www.bookbastion.net!
_______

I'm late to the party with this read, I know, but The Terror just came onto my radar when I realized that AMC was turning it into a television show. I'm a book-over-movie/tv adaptation purist. So many details end up falling to the wayside in an adaptation - for example, I've watched one episode of the show, and already spotted a major difference from the book. I knew I'd want to experience this story as Dan Simmons originally told it
Michael Fierce
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction and oldschool books by Poe, Kipling, Algernon Blackwood & Ambrose Bierce
description

The Terror is a fictional tale based on the real life experience of the notoriously doomed John Franklin Expedition.

These brave men journeyed hundreds of miles by sea voyage in the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, part of the British Naval fleet sent to the Arctic to force the Northwest Passage in 1845–1848, and then travelled the rest on foot into the desolate, below-freezing temperatures of the Arctic wasteland.

description
All died or were never seen or heard from ever again.

Dan Simmons imaginative story expla
Rachel
Wow...

I absolutely loved this book.

Don't let the page length stop you from reading it! Despite its length, the story moves quickly and there's incredible tension throughout. There are a ton of characters to keep you interested (but not too many that you lose track) and who you'll want to scream at for doing the wrong thing or an incredibly awful thing. Some parts were breathtakingly tense and some parts were frightening. Don't think of this as a horror book with a monster... This is so much mo
Stephen Robert Collins
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect book for the hot weather as it's -50 set in Antarctica circle near Baffin Island & on King William Land in 1845-1848 in locked ships The Terror & The Erebus this has been made into AMC TV series From Sir Ridley Scott of Alien fame .
Set in between 1843-48 this book about two ships locked in the ice & it's also about man's fight with the cold but worse still there is something in the dark hunting them, something from old times pure evil.
What makes this so good is the descript
Edward  Lorn
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started out 2016 with a plan in mind. I wanted to read more doorstops and more books by non-American authors. I spent the majority of 2015 rereading Stephen King's entire catalogue and wanted this year to open new doors. So far in 2016, (ignore all those Koontz rereads, please and thank you) I've spent a considerable amount of time seeking out and reading authors who were not born or do not live in America and snowshoeing my way through massive tomes the likes of which Dan Simmons is known to ...more
Wil Wheaton
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, 2010-project
Without getting into any spoilers: this is a fictionalized account of the doomed Franklin expedition to find the Northwest Passage in 1845. It is about hubris, greed, strength during unspeakable adversity, and possibly redemption.

Oh, there's also a terrifying monster that they call The Thing on The Ice which is slowly killing everyone aboard the two ships.

It's Dan Simmons, so he takes his time getting into the meat of the story (my dad said that he was telling three stories when he could have to
aPriL does feral sometimes
‘The Terror’can be shelved under several genres: historical fiction, horror, adventure. Wherever it is shelved, it is a fantastic read. However, it is long, with horrifying and graphic descriptions of illnesses, injuries and violent attacks. Since it is a fictionalized story about people who really existed (it is based on a real English explorer, Captain Franklin, and his last voyage to the Arctic), it has a lot of interesting details about what it was like to be a ship-based explorer in the mid ...more
Christy
Dan Simmons' The Terror may be one of the few novels I've read that makes me grateful to live in Texas. This imaginative re-telling of the doomed Franklin expedition of 1845 to find the Northwest Passage is overwhelming in its details of life and death in the Arctic north. The cold is constant, the dark is depressing, and the wind, snow, ice, fog, and (when it appears) water are life-threatening. These are things Texans don't have to worry about. I must remember this book when I want to complain ...more
Brad
Is the Terror a mythical beast in the Arctic? The Tuunbaq?
Is the Terror Her Majesty’s Ship of the same name?
Is the Terror nights that never end?
Is the Terror a Ripper style murderer and his penchant for mutilation?
Is the Terror knowledge?
Is the Terror sodomy?
Is the Terror a silent Esqimaux?
Is the Terror scurvy?
Is the Terror unrelenting ice floes?
Is the Terror belief?
Is the Terror remembrance?
Is the Terror dreams?
Is the Terror the past?
Is the Terror cannibalism?
Is the Terror doubt?
Is the Terror h
Wilja
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75 Sterne 🌟

Puh, es ist vollbracht. Ich gebe zu, ich bin schon erleichtert, das ich jetzt durch bin. Zwischendurch hat mich mal kurz die Motivation verlassen....Denn
der Autor spielt wenig mit den Emotionen der Besatzung. Er erwähnt natürlich das der ein oder andere Mal Angst hat aber das könnte er viel besser ausarbeiten, so das ich es auch fühle. Stattdessen verwendet er all seiner Energie darauf jede Situation möglichst detailliert zu beschreiben und das war zwischenzeitlich sehr ermüdend, z
Agnieszka

On May 1845 two ships, HMS Terror led by captain Crozier and flagship HMS Erebus commanded by captain Fitzjames, set sail on the expedition to find legendary Northwest Passage. Leader of the enterprise which was to get England fame and glory but also establish it primacy on the field of Arctic exploration was sir John Franklin. The whole expedition counted 129 people in total. And no one of them ever returned from the voyage. Both people and ships get lost in the vastness of ice.

The whole undert
Olivier Delaye
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This long (oh so long!) novel about Franklin’s 1848 lost expedition of the HMS Erebus & HMS Terror to the Arctic in hopes of finding a North-West passage was a bit of a mixed bag of highs and lows for me. First of all, I love historical novels with a touch of the fantastic like Kostova’s The Historian and in this regard Simmons hits a home run with The Terror, weaving to perfection authentic facts and Inuit legends and superstitions. Also, the descriptions and action scenes are masterfully w ...more
Crystal Craig
 photo Cover-122_zpsin0nucmq.jpg

Wow! This book is quite the adventure - for the characters and the reader.

I'm writing my review having not completed the book; I'm 77% finished. I've held onto every single word; have had a hard time putting the book down - I don't want it to end, but it has too. We've lost many beloved characters along the way, and there's one evil doer who remains alive and I can't wait to see what his fate is. I know what he deserves, but we won't go into that ... spoilers and all. Also, what about this cre
Bill Lynas
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having thoroughly enjoyed the 2018 TV series The Terror I wondered what the 2007 novel it was based on might be like. I checked out some reviews from trusted friends on Goodreads (thanks, Richard!) & off I set.
The novel is based on the true story of Sir John Franklin's 1845 expedition to find the North-West Passage. It's an epic journey for the ships Erebus & Terror, & at over 900 pages it's an equally epic journey for the reader too!
Simmons has a fairly simple style of writing, whic
Carol
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! This historic tale of a doomed arctic expedition set in 1845 aboard the HMS TERROR is based on true events and one horrific adventure complete with unbelievably brutal sub-zero temperatures, and a terrifying monster from hell. Loaded with great characters including the mysterious 'Lady Silence' and a unique and surprising ending to say the least. While sometimes descriptively gruesome, an engaging story and thrilling read!
Joe Valdez
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dan Simmons has a multitude of strengths -- undeniable attention to detail, dialogue that sings with clarity, set pieces that can haunt for days -- but most notable might be restraint from barreling down any one genre: ghost story, alien story, survival story. The Terror has elements of each but trusts the reader's imagination to give the novel shape and texture.

This epic is a fictionalized account of the final voyage of Captain John Franklin, who set off for the Arctic Ocean in 1845 to locate t
Cody | codysbookshelf
Dan Simmons’s 2007 epic horror novel, The Terror, is the finest work of his I’ve yet read. A historical fiction, this long story documents the failed 1845 Franklin Expedition.

It’s been a long time since I’ve read a horror novel of this stature. I’ve read a lot of short, grisly stuff lately, so it was nice to kick back with something by Simmons: he who is known for painstakingly detailed, complex narratives. This one challenged me — especially some bits toward the end — and I liked that.

Told in
11811 (Eleven)
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*Update*

Read 02/12 & 03/16

This is probably in my top ten for any book in any genre.

-----------
I'd volunteer for crucifixion before I volunteered for the Franklin Expedition. The supernatural element was unnecessary here; the reality of it alone was horrifying. Top notch storytelling, highly recommended.
Gorgona Grim
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Nakon svega, jedino mogu da napišem - kakvo iskustvo.

Bez obzira na to što je priča napisana oslanjajući se na istinit događaj i na to što je potpomognuta detaljnim istraživanjem koje je Simons sproveo, detalji i način na koji je napisana je odlična. Toliko je dobra da sam se smrzavala zajedno sa protagonistima.

Na početku nisam bila uverena da će mi knjiga odgovarati jer generalno ne volim kada radnja prati puno likova koji pripovedaju priču iz svog ugla i kada se ta pripovedanja odigravaju u raz
Trish
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since this book tells of an Arctic expedition and ships trapped in the ice, it was the perfect read for a frosty December. Sadly, it hasn't gotten frosty here yet. But the book made me feel the cold these sailors had to endure, that's for sure.

The author takes the story of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, two British polar exploration ships that actually sailed into the Arctic to find the Northwest Passage in 1845, and gives it a little twist.
HMS Terror used to be a specialized bomb ship that saw a nu
J.D.
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hardcore Simmons fans only
I'm a big Dan Simmons fan, but at several points during this book, I found myself thinking, "will someone get this man an editor?"

There's a great horror tale in here. Unfortunately it's buried under layers of fat. Ironic, since lengthy descriptions of starvation and scurvy take up so much space in the book.

Joseph
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction

The Terror is the fictional story of the Franklin expedition through the Northwest Passage in 1845. HMS Terror did exist and did have some previous fame attached to it. The ship newly commissioned in 1813 was one of the bomb ships at the Ft McHenry that Francis Scott Key wrote about in the Star Spangled Banner. The bomb ships were built extra sturdy to withstand the launching of mortars. This sturdiness made the ships prime candidates for Arctic and Antarctic service being better able to withsta
Sean
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Terror is the ultimate tale of the human struggle for survival. Dan Simmon’s huge tome is based on Sir John Franklin’s failed 1845 exploration of the Northwest Passage. In real life the crew of the two ships, the Terror and Erebus, all perished. However, Simmons portrays a fictionalized account of this expedition by expanding this historical narrative into a horror story by dropping in a man eating ice monster to make everybody’s day just a little bit shittier.

My initial reaction was that t
Metodi Markov
I don't know if you will ever read this but anyway - thank you for the great book Mr. Simmons!!!

Какъв роман!!!

С плавно, почти приспивно начало, стремително покачване на напрежението и финал, далеч надминал очакванията ми!

Симънс е познат у нас основно с фантастиката си, но това е приключенски роман с нечуван поне за мен размах.

Умело са пресъздадени атмосферата и проблемите на една изгубена арктическа експедиция. Но истинското съкровище в тази книга са героите ѝ, от простите моряци, споменати са
Lady Silence ... book vs. AMC? 1 8 Nov 13, 2018 06:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: English edition has German description 2 11 Aug 21, 2018 01:10PM
Horror Aficionados : The Terror - AMC 87 139 Jul 31, 2018 01:01PM
  • The Grin of the Dark
  • Teatro Grottesco
  • The Descent
  • Dark Harvest
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett, #1)
  • Blood Crazy
  • The Imago Sequence and Other Stories
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Houses Without Doors
  • Falling Angel
  • The Pines (The Pines Trilogy, #1)
  • Cold Moon Over Babylon
  • Southern Gods
  • The House on the Borderland
  • The Ignored
Dan Simmons grew up in various cities and small towns in the Midwest, including Brimfield, Illinois, which was the source of his fictional "Elm Haven" in 1991's SUMMER OF NIGHT and 2002's A WINTER HAUNTING. Dan received a B.A. in English from Wabash College in 1970, winning a national Phi Beta Kappa Award during his senior year for excellence in fiction, journalism and art.

Dan received his Master
“Luckily, even as a young man not yet become himself, John Bridgens had two things besides indecision that kept him from self-destruction - books and a sense of irony.” 29 likes
“We are all eaters of souls.” 27 likes