Start by marking “Thinner” as Want to Read:
Thinner

Thinner

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  195,485 ratings  ·  3,348 reviews
Billy Halleck, good husband and loving father, is both beneficiary and victim of the American good life: He has an expensive home, a nice family, and a rewarding career as a lawyer...but he is also fifty pounds overweight and edging into heart attack country.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published September 1st 1996 by Signet (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Thinner, please sign up.
Elizabeth "Life is too short to read bad books" No, you aren't alone. I finished it, but I gained nothing from doing so.…more"Life is too short to read bad books" No, you aren't alone. I finished it, but I gained nothing from doing so.(less)
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
144 books — 3,674 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,883 books — 5,534 voters

More lists with this book...

·  195,485 ratings  ·  3,348 reviews

Start your review of Thinner
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-to-film, horror
“Some guys-- a lot of guys---don't believe what they are seeing, especially if it gets in the way of what they eat or drink or think or believe. Me, I don't believe in God. But if I saw him, I would. I wouldn't just go around saying 'Jesus, that was a great special effect.' The definition of an asshole is a guy who doesn't believe what he's seeing. And you can quote me.”
Richie “The Hammer” Ginelli

photo Thinner20Movie_zpsvr8ydode.jpg

William Halleck is a damn fine lawyer, a rising star in his firm, and well liked by judges and
Mario the lone bookwolf
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: king-stephen
Now that´s truly the last diet one needs.

That´s why one shouldn´t provoke so much cursing, because it can have consequences. I like the idea of getting what one deserves and such a detailed description of body horror is truly worthy of the King, maybe nobody else could switch into the perspective and under the hanging skin of a victim of such a special weight loss method. Businessmen ought consider making it a lucrative model by paying Romani people for their special services, maybe with empha
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Bachman’s coming out as Stephen King party . . . the last title officially released under the Bachman pseudonym before the big reveal.

I think King was crying to be released, because there are some thinly veiled references that make me go like this:

This book was released shortly before IT. There is a line about and evil clown with a balloon.

There is a whole section where one of the characters says that “This is all starting to sound like a Stephen King novel” <- not the exact quote, but
Ahmad Sharabiani
Thinner, Richard Bachman (Pseudonym), Stephen King

Thinner is a 1984 novel by Stephen King, published under his pseudonym Richard Bachman. It was the last novel King released under the Richard Bachman pseudonym.

Billy Halleck, an arrogant and morbidly obese lawyer in Connecticut, has recently fought an agonizing court case in which he was charged with vehicular manslaughter. He cannot seem to lose weight or control his eating.

While he had been driving across town, his wife Heidi distracted him b
megs_bookrack
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another successful buddy read with my friend, Shannon and another truly entertaining King reread for me!!!

I love this story so much, but I know what you're thinking: is it really 5-star perfect?

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's a hell of a fun reading experience for me. This is my third time through this one and honestly, probably not the last.

Thinner follows Billy Halleck, a successful attorney living the good life in a wealthy Connecticut suburb.

Billy has a lovely wife, Heidi, a sweet
Kemper
And I thought the Atkins Diet sounded unhealthy…

William Halleck is a successful lawyer living in upper middle class splendor in a Connecticut suburb with his wife and daughter, and his biggest problem is that he’s overweight. His perfect life is upset when he accidently ran over an old Gypsy woman when he was *ahem* distracted behind the wheel. Since Billy is one of the solid taxpayers who plays golf with all the right people the whole mess is quickly tidied up in court without him getting so mu
Rebecca (on a review writing break!)
“Thinner,” the old Gypsy man with the rotting nose whispers to William Halleck as Halleck and his wife, Heidi, come out of the courthouse. Just that one word, sent on the wafting, cloying sweetness of his breath. 'Thinner.' And before Halleck can jerk away, the old Gypsy reaches out and caresses his cheek with one twisted finger. His lips spread open like a wound, showing a few tombstone stumps poking out of his gums. They are black and green. His tongue squirms between them and then slides o ...more
Paul O’Neill
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my third time reading this, and I love it even more. In my top five King books of all time. Love, love, love, love it! And that ending! Still one of the best in a King book.

__________

Loved it, it's every bit as good as I remembered and more. One of my favourites of all time and one of the best / creepiest audiobooks.

Highly, thoroughly and totally recommended.
Michael || TheNeverendingTBR
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Billy, a overweight lawyer who one night while driving home runs over an gypsy woman, he's brought to trial but is acquitted because he's friends with the judge. While leaving the courthouse, an old gypsy man brushes his hand on Billy's cheek and whispers "thinner." From that moment onwards Billy starts to rapidly lose weight until his clothes are falling off him, I'll leave it there - that's all I'm going to say but this is my favourite Bachman story by far.

Has anyone seen the adaptation?
Is it
Will M.
The premise really prompted me to read this novel. Aside from the fact that King wrote this, the premise really made me curious as to what the novel was all about. It was about a man who got cursed, and now he's losing weight everyday, and he fears that it will come to a point where he'll turn into nothing.

Everything was good, but nothing was great. That's the main problem of the novel for me. While the start of the novel was batshit amazing and fast paced, the middle and the end was a huge drag
Tim
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, horror, 1980s
The last Bachman book released before Stephen King official was announce to write under the pseudonym. It's the most "Stephen King" feeling of the book, with a supernatural curse and whatnot… and it's also an extremely disappointing book.

I'm apparently in the minority of King fans as I simply do not like this book. I've read books that he's writing that have page counts triple this one, but never have I been so bored by one of his books. I found it tedious and almost gave up so many times, then
Misty Marie Harms
Billy Halleck living his best obese life, has it pretty good. He has a somewhat good marriage, a wonderful daughter, and a career as a lawyer. One night driving home his wife decides to play spank the monkey with him resulting with hitting and killing an elderly woman from a Romani family. Billy avoids being charged with manslaughter thanks to friends in high places. Lempke, the ancient father of the woman, places a curse on Billy by touching his cheek and whispering, "Thinner." The next few day ...more
Ginger
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, buddy-read, 2017
This was an addicting and enjoyable book to read!

It’s a great revenge novel and I enjoyed reading about how Billy Halleck goes from a big, fat man to something rather morbid.

Billy Halleck, an upscale attorney accidentally hits and kills an old gypsy woman in his car when she steps out from the sidewalk. Now is he guilty of vehicular manslaughter or not? Unfortunately for Billy, an old gypsy man believes he is and puts a curse on him. The old gypsy man touches his check and says "THINNER".

Or did
ReadAlongWithSue [Catching-Up]

I’ve only read a few of Stephen Kings book but I have watched more in movies.

This is the first one as Richard Bachman.

And yes, I did enjoy it and would recommend for anyone who likes dark side/light horror.
I don’t like horror, this is more “jumpy” as you Imagine “stuff” that happens.

I’m rating this personally as a 3.5 due to I’ve read more psychological thrillers worse than this.
Great introduction to Bachman’s work though.

Funny ending. As in odd, strange.
Dan Schwent
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Overweight lawyer William Halleck strikes and kills a gypsy woman who is crossing the street. He is acquitted but a relative of the woman touches Halleck's cheek and curses him. Now he's losing three pounds a day with no end in sight. Can he track down the gypsy man and get him to remove the curse or will he waste away to nothing?

What's so scary about a fat guy losing weight? A lot, it turns out. Never has getting a tug job in the car from your wife gotten someone into so much trouble. I felt fo
Bren fall in love with the sea.
“The definition of an asshole is a guy who doesn't believe what he's seeing.”
― Richard Bachman, Thinner

Does anyone reaalize this book has an average rating of only 3.32 on here?

How dare they??!! LOL.

Best Stephen King book ever! The only king book to make it into my all time favorite books list. I loved Genelli. More another time.
Paula
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy Halleck is living a good life. He's an up-and-coming lawyer, has a wife and a teenage daughter, and a nice home. He is also overweight, a fact which his doctor is always reminding him of. One day while driving, Billy accidently sideswipes an old gypsy woman who is crossing the street and kills her. Billy is cleared of any charges for this incident, as he is good friends with the police and the judge. There's also no love lost between law enforcement and the gypsies, since the police just w ...more
Lyn
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a certain directness, a freight train coming down the tracks quality about Stephen King’s early Richard Bachman books that I very much enjoy. King writes an unrelenting cause and effect that is terrifying because it does not jump out and yell BOO! but rather walks quietly up to you with a mask on and a butcher knife, like John Carpenter’s Michael Myers, a slow-motion dream scape of fear.

Thinner shares these qualities with other of King / Bachman books like The Running Man and The Long W
Carol
The older Stephen King novels continue to amaze me......this one grabbed me from page one and did not let go! When grossly overweight attorney Billy Helleck unintentionally hits (view spoiler) an old gypsy woman who darts out into the street, (view spoiler) the incident is not properly investigated, and soon after, he, his buddy Judge Cory who presided plus friend, Officer Hopley are "touched" and "cursed" by ...more
Glenn Sumi
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 for this lean (and in some ways, mean) thriller written under Stephen King's pulpy alias, Richard Bachman

After the epic Gone With The Wind, which took me a month and a half to read (I loved it), I wanted something light and relatively short to read next. Plus: Halloween was coming up! So I decided on this taut, tense thriller by Richard Bachman (a.k.a. Stephen King). It did the trick.

The premise is simple. Overweight, slightly smug East Coast lawyer Billy Halleck has a
Elizabeth Bedlam
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a woman in today’s modern society I can’t find anything scary about this story. A curse that keeps you thin no matter how much you eat? Sounds like a miracle cure to me.
Danger
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first saw the movie for this back in the 90s, long before I read this book. And if you've never seen the film, believe me when I say, it's bad. It’s AWESOMELY bad. Overacted, terribly-paced, full of dumb effects and the worst “fat suit” I’ve ever seen. But, for some reason, I can't help but love it. I’ll watch it over and over again on Netfilx like it was reruns of The Office. Maybe I just like terrible movies. I don’t know.

But, that said, I've never read this book. Never even thought about it
Rob
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads, horror
Stand alone horror story by Stephen King under the pen name of Richard Bachman
First published in 1984.

This is not so much a classic horror story but it still has the chill factor that we’ve come to expect from Stephen King.
Billy Halleck and his wife, Heidi, are driving down Main Street minding there own business when Heidi decides, for the first time in her life, to get Billy sexually aroused whilst he is driving. Billy completely taken aback looks over at Heidi just as a woman walks out from be
Vessey
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, 5-stars, horror, crime
"They were brightly dressed, but not in the peasant garb an older person might have associated with the Hollywood version of Gypsies in the thirties and forties. There were women in colorful sundresses, women in calf-length clamdigger pants, younger women in Jordache or Calvin Klein jeans. They looked bright, alive, somehow dangerous."

I would have read this book sooner, had I known what a dish it would turn out to be. I’m not sure if there’s a pun intended. I think I would have appreciated it ev
Amelia
First Stephen King book of the year and I guarantee there will be more.

Full review (but kinda short): https://amelianamora18.wixsite.com/am...
Dannii Elle
Billy Halleck is mostly happily married to his wife and mostly happily employed as a small town lawyer. This mostly happy life has led to a slow increase in his weight and now his doctor and wife are repeatedly urging him to reverse the ticking numbers. This is something he is reluctant or unable to do.

The only mar in the comfortable trajectory of Billy's life was a mistake that cost another her own. He knocked over an elderly lady with his car but, luckily, his great friend was the judge and he
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook, z2017
3.5 stars.

This was my first Stephen King novel. I thought that it was good enough but not like great or anything.

I had two main problems with it. The first problem was with the pacing of the novel. The first half was good but when I reached the halfway point, I was confused because I felt like the conclusion should have been coming. The story was slowly building up from page one and it was creepy, ominous and eerie but then a good 25% of the novel just dragged on and on. I just thought the roa
Edward Lorn
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had a tremendous amount of fun with this book this time around. I read it three times before, the last time being in 2015, and I have no idea what might have changed in my life to make me appreciate this book more nowadays, but I did. Appreciate it, that is.

Maybe because I had such low expectations going in this time? That's probably it, actually.

Video review: https://youtu.be/7K9xAaNKAME
Baba
Well... thin in size and thin on characterisation, but yet, somehow now my second favourite Bachman after The Long Walk. Why? Because it is just a well worked story. It has an interesting premise about the main protagonist being cursed by a 'gypsy', and him thinking 'hey wait one Goddamn minute, I will not take this'. and looking to find ways of fighting back!
In summary - a good story; suspenseful at times; A Bachman jam; but a book indicative of the times it was written in, even for King, with
Jim C
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This is a book that Stephen King wrote under his pseudonym. In this one, gypsies put a curse on Billy because Billy killed one of the gypsies in a car accident and got away with it scot free. The curse is that Billy who is overweight will start losing weight without even trying. The problem is that he keeps on losing weight and he cannot stop.

Reading what this book was about I was immediately sold on the idea. Losing weight without even trying. Hell, sign me up for tha
Stephen King 2022...: April Showers!! 4 15 Apr 09, 2022 04:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: King's "Chudszy" (Thinner) cover missing. 1 12 Apr 01, 2022 10:34PM
Horror Aficionados : November 2020 Group Read - Thinner 14 146 Nov 26, 2020 08:56PM
Stephen King Fans: Thinner-book 21 18 68 Nov 27, 2019 03:06PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Thinner by Richard Bachman - Starting April 14, 2019 2 14 Apr 23, 2019 01:11PM

• The Tommyknockers
  • Needful Things
  • Bag of Bones
  • Dreamcatcher
  • Misery
  • Stephen King The Stand: Captain Trips #1 (of 5)
See top shelves…
This is a Stephen King pseudonym.

At the beginning of Stephen King's career, the general view among publishers was that an author was limited to one book per year, since publishing more would be unacceptable to the public. King therefore wanted to write under another name, in order to increase his publication without over-saturating the market for the King "brand". He convinced his publisher, Signe