UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > The Cloak of Invisibility

Comments Showing 1-50 of 541 (541 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Do you every have days when you are, to all intents and purposes, invisible? When your comments on discussion boards are ignored, your blog gathers dust and your book sales are a work of history?

I'm just asking because I seem to have spotted a perverse logic to it all. I've found that, if I'm away from the PC and not able to contribute to anything, the world goes barmy and sales go through the roof. Is it me?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I seem to be invisible walking around in the outside world judging from the number of people who try and walk right through me!

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Gingerlily (nearly an author) wrote: "I seem to be invisible walking around in the outside world judging from the number of people who try and walk right through me!"

Oh yes, that happens a lot. It did occur to me that the logical response to this thread would have been no response at all ;-)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Spikey shoes and metal cornered hadbags do a lot to make your presence felt. Not sure what the male equivalent would be.

Us invisible people should stick together. Once we find each other....

message 5: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments What really bugs me is if you (by which I mean me) make a relevant comment in a thread, and then the next responses all refer to something that somebody more interesting referred to just before you.

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments It's alright folks, nothing to see here (that's appropriate). Just Whiteland having one of his occasional curmudgeonly rants. Move right along now and please don't poke him with sticks.

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments That's called Negative Charisma Philip. It's like when you enter a room and everyone looks round to see who just left! We all have days like that.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Philip wrote: "What really bugs me is if you (by which I mean me) make a relevant comment in a thread, and then the next responses all refer to something that somebody more interesting referred to just before you."

Oh yes that happens to me and its usually something particularly important or witty. Well in my mind anyway!

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Gingerlily (nearly an author) wrote: "Philip wrote: "What really bugs me is if you (by which I mean me) make a relevant comment in a thread, and then the next responses all refer to something that somebody more interesting referred to ..."

I very nearly responded to Ignite's comment instead of yours, thus condemning myself out of hand!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Just proving the point there Philip!

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Ignite wrote: "That's called Negative Charisma Philip. It's like when you enter a room and everyone looks round to see who just left! We all have days like that."

I've got that in spades. Never ask me to get the drinks in a crowded pub ;-)

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments So you didn't respond to mine because It's my day for negative charisma, darling!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Strikes me this thread has the potential for a lot of upset people. Hugs and custard all round!

message 14: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) All the time Philip over on the OTHER site! lol

message 15: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Theres another site?

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Yes Darren. Usually it's one for sore eyes. At least, a lot of people seem to get theirs poked.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Keep well away Darren - they won't be nice to you like we are!

message 18: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Years ago, when I had considerably less confidence than I have now, I went for my first appointment at one of those new unisex hair salons (that shows how long ago we're talking). I made myself known to the receptionist and sat down to wait directly opposite her. I waited two hours before I finally got up the courage to ask when I might be seen, by which time they were about to close the shop. I was directed to one, very flamboyant, hair stylist who moaned constantly that this was delaying him from his night out and basically thought the whole thing was my fault!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Every now and then my cars cloaking device switches on and people drive out of side turnings, cross lanes and generally act as if I am not there. I think it happens around the full moon.

message 20: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Every now and then my cars cloaking device switches on and people drive out of side turnings, cross lanes and generally act as if I am not there. I think it happens around the full moon."

I used to have a car that people drove into as a matter of course. I had to get rid of it in the end as all I was doing was supplying employment to the local body repair shops.

message 21: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I've been too small all my life to bge invisible I walk into a room and demand people look and listen to me (not really).

Wearing bright pink shoes usually helps but again not sure about the male equivalent...

(I've like ignored everybody's comments in this but I don't care, I still like you all though)

message 22: by Lynne (Tigger's Mum) (last edited Nov 17, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments In shops with my sister, when the assistants ignore her, she says very loudly, "That vanishing cream I put on this morning must be working"
The invisible car is very worrying, though, mine is big bright red and usually very shiny. After any incident of me being invisible I think to myself if they didn't see me god help those who drive little grey ones.

message 23: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "In shops with my sister, when the assistants ignore her, she says very loudly, "That vanishing cream I put on this morning must be working"
The invisible car is very worrying, though, mine is big ..."

Mine was a navy blue estate car. I've avoided all shades of blue ever since.

Audrey (Seaholly) | 219 comments I get that feeling often. I had a red car it was invisible as was my blue one and my green one. The next one should maybe be yellow with green spots.What do you think?

message 25: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I'd love to be invisible TBH...

Audrey (Seaholly) | 219 comments See invisible!!!!! ;0)lol

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan (susielily) | 469 comments I used to have a fairly prestigious job and people would treat me with great deference at work. However, when I hit 'a certain age' I just seemed to disappear in shops, etc. I found the difference very amusing.

message 28: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Oooooh someone (ahem Facebook) has just told me it was Audrey's birthday ! No longer invisible now girlie ! HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!! Tuzki Bunny Emoticon

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I had a yellow car....it was great to be able to find it on a car park. Now I have a red car.
I prefer to be the quiet one in the corner, & hate it if people notice me and ask me to speak up in front of a crowd of people. I wouldn't put my hand up to answer questions in school, so my parents sent me to elocution lessons in the hope of making me more confident. It didn't work.
Nobody will have read this either but that's OK I'll just creep away and carry on reading quietly.Smiley

message 30: by Mo (new)

Mo (mobroon) | 797 comments Happy birthday Audrey have a great rest of day.

message 31: by Mo (new)

Mo (mobroon) | 797 comments Jay-me (Janet) wrote: "I had a yellow car....it was great to be able to find it on a car park. Now I have a red car.
I prefer to be the quiet one in the corner, & hate it if people notice me and ask me to speak up in..."

I always answered questions in school and usually got them right but put an exam paper in front of me and it was scrape a pass or fail. Mind you if the teachers were examined then it would have been a definite fail they were rubbish.

message 32: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Audrey (Seaholly) wrote: "I get that feeling often. I had a red car it was invisible as was my blue one and my green one. The next one should maybe be yellow with green spots.What do you think?"

I've had days when everything seemed like it was yellow with green spots. Belated Happy Birthday, Audrey.

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Used to be called 'sky-blue pink with a finny-haddock border' in my neck of the woods Philip!

message 34: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Ignite wrote: "Used to be called 'sky-blue pink with a finny-haddock border' in my neck of the woods Philip!"

Did it? You've got to be drinking something pretty powerful to get that effect ;-)

message 35: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments By the way, just to prove my current level of 'invisibility', I've just 'lost' a friend on here. How the heck do you lose a friend??

message 36: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Aw Phil ! maybe they just deleted their account?

message 37: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Lorraine *Meow?* wrote: "Aw Phil ! maybe they just deleted their account?"

Very diplomatic, Lorraine ;-)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I have lost the odd friend on Facebook. I have plenty of odd friends to lose!

message 39: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Lol, I'll take this as a compliment, diplomatic is usually something I am not !

message 40: by Kath (last edited Nov 18, 2011 03:29AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Philip wrote: "Ignite wrote: "Used to be called 'sky-blue pink with a finny-haddock border' in my neck of the woods Philip!"

Did it? You've got to be drinking something pretty powerful to get that effect ;-)"

Domestos?

Edit - 'Cause I'm clean round the bend?

message 41: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Gingerlily (no, NOT Gigner!) wrote: "I have lost the odd friend on Facebook. I have plenty of odd friends to lose!"

Maybe Goodreads is like Facebook. Facebook seems to do weird things with friends... my auntie seems to disappear off of facebook then reappear.. same with my cousin... it's the same family though... and doesn't seem to happen with my other family and friends...

message 42: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Ignite wrote: "Philip wrote: "Ignite wrote: "Used to be called 'sky-blue pink with a finny-haddock border' in my neck of the woods Philip!"

Did it? You've got to be drinking something pretty powerful to get t..."

Oh dear! Yep, that would do it.

message 43: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3116 comments Lorraine *Meow?* wrote: "Gingerlily (no, NOT Gigner!) wrote: "I have lost the odd friend on Facebook. I have plenty of odd friends to lose!"

Maybe Goodreads is like Facebook. Facebook seems to do weird things with friends..."

Could be, Lorraine. You definitely have a career ahead of you in the Diplomatic Service ;-)

message 44: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Hahaha lol... I'm honoured, thank you :)
Not sure people like me finding excuses for everything though... usually it's something that backfires at me !

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Ignite wrote: "Used to be called 'sky-blue pink with a finny-haddock border' in my neck of the woods Philip!"

Sky Blue pink with yellow dots round here :)

Lorraine *Meow?* wrote: "Gingerlily (no, NOT Gigner!) wrote: "I have lost the odd friend on Facebook. I have plenty of odd friends to lose!"

Maybe Goodreads is like Facebook. Facebook seems to do weird things with friends..."

I lose friends from FB - mostly ones from when I used to play some of the games on there - no time now with all the books to read on my kindle. I always wonder if they left FB or just got fed up of being friends with me :(
I have so few friends here on Goodreads that I would really miss any of them

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Ok - Janet needs friends - come on you lot, be nice to her!

message 47: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Janet my friend !

message 48: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments i thought I was pretty much everybody's friend on here, at least friends with all the regulars

message 49: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Nah Jud, I think we're more like a really big family to be honest !

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Well you can send people friend requests like on facebook.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11