Outlander Series discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > January Outlander Reread - See post 642 on page 13 for this weeks TOPIC!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 666 (666 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (delta108) | 63 comments I was wondering if anyone was going to post a schedule or a list of chapters with dates so we are all reading & commenting on the book (Outlander) content at the same time.

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I wasn't planning on scheduling it that much because I think it's easier for all of us to read at our own pace.

The reread will go from January 1st - February 28th, and I think that I'm going to try to come up with 8 discussion topics to post about the book (one every monday) to help keep the conversation going. These topics aren't going to be page selective, just broad questions.

Then we'll start the reraed for DIA on March 1st, and go through the end of April with the same layout.

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Awesome Idea... I AM SO IN... Question though? How are we going to get thru the 7 books before the new one comes out if we have 1 every 2 months?...

message 4: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments I think based on what DG has said in her blog, that we likely won't see book 8 until mid-2013, since she said that she probably won't even finish writing it until towards the end of next year

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments REALLY?????? I am beside myself, broken, and very very frustrated... Lol... I thought it was summer of 2012???

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments from her blog:

As for Jamie, Claire, Roger, Bree, Jem, Mandy, William, et al…I hope to finish WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD (aka Book Eight. Personally, I’ve started referring to it as “Moby” (“MOHB,” geddit?) for convenience) by the end of 2012. I do occasionally post excerpts from things I’m working on, and you can find a listing of links to such excerpts here, supplied by the kindly efforts of Jari Backman, a man with a much more orderly mind than mine.

message 7: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Yep, I'm guessing not until sometime in 2013 too. Though there is a fluctuating conversation going back and forth. Amazon says 2012 but DG has been very clear that Amazon has no idea what the publication date is. I'm banking on mid 2013. Which works well for every 2 months.

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Okay... *witholding whiny sniffles*...

message 9: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea | 1239 comments I still feel the same way Shell, so sad! I miss me some Jamie!

I'm in and I can't wait to reread my favorite book.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Looking forward to the group re-read

Marietta | 63 comments Wendy F wrote: "Yep, I'm guessing not until sometime in 2013 too. Though there is a fluctuating conversation going back and forth. Amazon says 2012 but DG has been very clear that Amazon has no idea what the pub..."

I bet that means "in time for Christmas". Seems like Echo in the Bone was the same schedule... Seems like it was Octoberish. I know I was SO GOOD and kept it in the box as my Christmas present to me. JUICY!

message 12: by Dawn (last edited Nov 09, 2011 08:54AM) (new) - added it

Dawn (delta108) | 63 comments Am I the only one unhappy that book eight is going to be the last book in the series? :(

Rose from Chapter Break (starkiss5173) | 35 comments This sounds like an awsesome idea! Count me in!

message 14: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea | 1239 comments Is it the last book? I thought DG had not announced that yet...

message 15: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (delta108) | 63 comments I read it on her website or in an interview right after DG released book 7, that the next book would be the last book in the series causing many tears to fall. I imagine her meaning as to someone dying. DG stated at that time she wanted to write a love story of a couple who grows older. I guess that is why this might be the end.

message 16: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i'm pretty sure, however, that she said more recently, that she wasn't sure if book 8 was going to be the last one and probably wouldn't know more until she wrote more of it and saw how things were working

Marietta | 63 comments Leea wrote: "Is it the last book? I thought DG had not announced that yet..."

How old are Jamie and Claire now? Sad but true, Jamie can't be sexy forever... although Clint Eastwood has managed to for us older gals... and when Jamie and Claire wane, who measures up? And Jamie has to die and be the ghost in the first book.

Marietta | 63 comments Marietta wrote: "Leea wrote: "Is it the last book? I thought DG had not announced that yet..."

How old are Jamie and Claire now? Sad but true, Jamie can't be sexy forever... although Clint Eastwood has managed to..."

Now everybody's crying....

message 19: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Jamie/Claire - i think late 50's, early 60's

message 20: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (delta108) | 63 comments Sorry, I didn't mean to upset every one. I have been sad over this for years. If DG changes her mind, GREAT!

I've been re-reading Fiery Cross and Jamie was 47 yrs in that book.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

:(----- It makes sense that Jamie would be the ghostie but I always hoped it would because he travelled in his dreams not because he was gawn.

message 22: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I thought they were in their later 60's?

DG said that's thinking this isn't the last book, just based off the story. She said that she'll let us know when the last book happens.

message 23: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Well, don't forget Claire is around 4 years older than Jamie, right?

message 24: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i'm trying to do the math

she was 27 when she first went through the stones (or in that general vicinity), 2-3 years later came back - 30

+20 years for Voyager so that would make her 50

so how many years has it been since she came back, and now...Jem was 4 when they left, so that is about 5 years, plus the 2 before Bri made it to them, and Jem is 8 now (IIRC), so 4 years since they went back - would make her early 60's (i would think)

message 25: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea | 1239 comments I think Claire is in her early 60's (62) and Jamie is 58... I'm not 100%. I love that they still act like they are in their twenties :)

message 26: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments It is a bit tricky to give the exact age in this thread, because it depends how far you've gone in which book. Fortunately, we've got the birth dates of the two:

Jamie: May 1st, 1721. There is his 50th birthday in Fiery Cross

Claire: October 20th, 1918. There recently was Claire's 93rd birthday on DG's blog.

So we always have to do a bit of calculating while reading. The latest date we are given in Echo is May 18th, 1778, which would mean Jamie is just past 57 and Claire will celebrate her 62nd birthday in about 5 months' time - alway assuming time still is running parallel and 1778 corresponds with 1980. (See Outlander, when Claire went from 1945 to 1743. I omit the later changes from 1945 to 1946, this making everything much more complicated. And I myself think just 1 year could not have made so much change in lifestyle. When I first read the decription of conditions in Inverness of 1945, I thought: That's the difference between losing and winning a war!)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Wait guys, don't despair! I'm pretty sure Diana posted something pretty recently about book 8 not being the last. Something about her wanting the series to be able to be broken down in 3 trilogies.

Wendy F, I know you have this somewhere! Find it and post it, please so as to stop the tears! lol

message 28: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments LOL! I love your faith in me!

Yes, she did say that she likes to keep the series in trilogies. And she has also said that she doubts it's the last book.

So no fear!

Marietta | 63 comments Caroline wrote: ":(----- It makes sense that Jamie would be the ghostie but I always hoped it would because he travelled in his dreams not because he was gawn."

You're right, Caroline. It's because he travels in his dreams. I didn't mean it!

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Lotte! Lol that makes my head spin, although you did a fine job!

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Wendy F wrote: "LOL! I love your faith in me!

Yes, she did say that she likes to keep the series in trilogies. And she has also said that she doubts it's the last book.

So no fear!"

I was pretty sure you had been the one to post a blog entry by Diana about this very topic. I could be wrong. It might have been Dee. lol Either way, I know it's not the end--yet.

Carol L | 218 comments Dee wrote: "i'm pretty sure, however, that she said more recently, that she wasn't sure if book 8 was going to be the last one and probably wouldn't know more until she wrote more of it and saw how things were..."

Leea ~Thanksgiving Love~ wrote: "I still feel the same way Shell, so sad! I miss me some Jamie!

I saw her say it might not be the last, also

I'm in and I can't wait to reread my favorite book."

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 28 comments Hmmmm..a re-read on the series? I just might join in here,I stopped on the 3rd book thinking the series would end soon...no point in waiting, as it looks like it will be awhile,so I might as well get up to the latest...

Deena | 175 comments A reread sounds perfect, I am almost done with echo in the bone and I was planning on rereading the series as soon as I finish, now I can reread with everyone else, can't wait to discuss the first book!!!!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 28 comments Dee wrote: "A reread sounds perfect, I am almost done with echo in the bone and I was planning on rereading the series as soon as I finish, now I can reread with everyone else, can't wait to discuss the first ..."

Do you find Dee that you have forgotten most of went on in the past books? Will this be your 2nd time to re-read? I have the The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon but I dont want to cheat :)

Deena | 175 comments Sandi, yea I do feel like I have forgotten many things. This is the first time I am reading the series I started in January of this year so it took me a full year to finish it. I usually don't reread books unless they are a part of a series.

Regina (reginar) Shell wrote: "REALLY?????? I am beside myself, broken, and very very frustrated... Lol... I thought it was summer of 2012???"

This. Exactly. Ugh.

Regina (reginar) Wendy F wrote: "LOL! I love your faith in me!

So no fear!"

I really hope though, that the wait is not another 4 years after #8. I mean my oldest child will be in college by then!

I can't wait for the re-read. I am not sure if I will re-read Outlander or not or just join in for DIA as I have been re-reading Outlander over and over in my downtown for years. :)

message 39: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina | 162 comments Does anyone know what happened to the threads about Ian and Echo?

message 40: by Diane (last edited Dec 08, 2011 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane (danderv) | 60 comments Without sounding COMPLETELY like a whiny baby...(its no good, Im totally whining) I Cant BELIEVE its going to be 2013.. okay, kind of done whining now..

About the group read.. Is this Outlander we are starting in January? Because I am totally IN. I was going to read it again anyway, and would love to discuss it with someone.

message 41: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea | 1239 comments Tina, Check the Archived section. You can always chat about Ian in the Young Ian thread or in the Echo thread :)

message 42: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments There is a thread about Ian under 'The Characters' and there's a thread about Echo in the 'The Books' section.

Otherwise, yes, as Leea said, duplicate threads were moved into the archived section.

Diane - Yes! This is going to a fun, discussion based, reread of Outlander. I've actually started coming up with discussion topics to keep the conversation going so I hope everyone who can will join us. :)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 187 comments I am THRILLED about the re-read!

Deena | 175 comments Just bought a paperback outlander book for 50 cents at a used book store! Cant wait to syart the reread.

message 45: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea | 1239 comments Dee, that's an amazing deal. I'm giddy with excitement :)

message 46: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Having read Outland many more times, than I care to admit, even my copy is getting a little "dog eared". But it will hang in there for the re-read.

Allen Kelley (apolloallyn) | 12 comments I'm making my way through the series a second time, just finished Dragonfly in Amber. I forgot about the sadness I felt the first time I read it when I got to the part where Jaime sends her through the stone.

Carol L | 218 comments It's awful. Every. Single. Time.

Allen Kelley (apolloallyn) | 12 comments I totally agree with you!

Diane (danderv) | 60 comments Allen wrote: "I'm making my way through the series a second time, just finished Dragonfly in Amber. I forgot about the sadness I felt the first time I read it when I got to the part where Jaime sends her through..."

Ditto the sadness. Have read it a few times now... still gets me.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.