Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Personalized recommendations > What should I read next?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 165 (165 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Not sure what to read next? Ask for suggestions here.

message 2: by Bess (new)

Bess (Neli) | 29 comments My latest YA must read recommendation has to be Angelfall (Penryn series) by Susan Ee. I have no doubt that there will be buzz about this new series if it hasn't already been mentioned because it's the first YA book I've been excited about since Hunger Games first came out.

While I'm not a fan of YA fiction about angels I was completely taken by Susan Ee's version of an apocalyptic world where Angels are destroying humankind. Combined with a kick ass heroine and characters you can't help but be invested in, I'm predicting that this is one to watch. I can't wait for the next installment - if you haven't yet read it, do yourself the favour and read this book!

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya (MayaSimone) welp im actually not reading Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi , couldnt read it anymore i didnt like it . ill try another time . but started Begging for Change by Sharon G. Flake , I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This by Jacqueline Woodson and Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers . there all really good .

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
begging for change looks good!

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya (MayaSimone) finished Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers 2 days ago ( LOVED this book ) and just finished a GREAT book I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This by Jacqueline Woodson , cant wait to read the 2nd book ! about to start Who Am I Without Him? A Short Story Collection about Girls and Boys in Their Lives by Sharon G. Flake

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya (MayaSimone) Angie wrote: "begging for change looks good!"

it is ! have you read the 1st book ? its called Money Hungry . ( LOVED the 1st book ! )

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Jarvis | 6 comments i really want to read this.Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) i hope it is good

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Hi!:D
So I'm in need for a book to read! I like teen romance, chick-lit books. Any recommendations?

message 9: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Jessica wrote: "Hi!:D
So I'm in need for a book to read! I like teen romance, chick-lit books. Any recommendations?"

Out next month's club read is Anna and the French Kiss, which is a great YA romance.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Mitchell Hi Jessica,

I am a Goodreads author. Maybe you would like to look at my author page due to your preferences. TX
www.catsofvelvetmariamitchell.com

Tx, Maria Mitchell

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine | 147 comments I would recommend The Cliqueor EVEN BETTER A Great and Terrible Beauty. The second is by a Goodreads author, Libba Bray.

ρɦαɳƭσɱ (ժαղcҽ's ճαճ) (goawayplease) if your looking for a good book to read i suggest The Maze Runner.It is awesome im actually trying to find the third book to the series.

ρɦαɳƭσɱ (ժαղcҽ's ճαճ) (goawayplease) @jessica:have you ever read the Pretty Little Liars series? if not you should its a perfect chick-lit book.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 20 comments Anyone have any recommendations of off-beat, maybe a little dark, fiction with a strong male character? I read Going Bovine and Thirteen Days to Midnight, and loved them both.

message 15: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Rebecca wrote: "Anyone have any recommendations of off-beat, maybe a little dark, fiction with a strong male character? I read Going Bovine and Thirteen Days to Midnight, and loved them both."

I'd recommend I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

message 16: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Rebecca wrote: "Anyone have any recommendations of off-beat, maybe a little dark, fiction with a strong male character? I read Going Bovine and Thirteen Days to Midnight, and loved them both."

Try John Green's novels.

message 17: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Webb (mjwebb) | 1 comments Few choices on here from another thread
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/55...

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica Fosmoe (ericaejw968) | 4 comments I always recommend What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles . It's one of the best books I've ever read. Suspenseful and powerful all at once.

message 19: by Devon (new)

Devon (booksandbeyond28) Hey i am doing a A-Z book challenge this year and i have almost all of the letters picked out but 1. I need suggestions for books starting with the letter J. The book can begin with "A" or "The" but the main title needs to begin with J. Help please

message 20: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments If you're interested in YA Non-Fiction, Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing is a good biography.

If you're interested in Adult books, I'd recommend Just After Sunset, a collection of short stories by Stephen King.

There's also Jellicoe Road, but that's only if you're reading the American version, the original title is On the Jellicoe Road.

Or, Jasper Jones a 2012 Printz honor.

message 21: by Zola (new)

Zola | 13 comments I'm looking for a book that reminds me of Ship Breaker, Blood Red Road, or the Graceling series. Any recommendations?

message 23: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Theo, when I saw 'Ashes' in your list, I thought you meant this Ashes by Sam Best. Id recommend it. My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 24: by Karo (new)

Karo Devon wrote: "Hey i am doing a A-Z book challenge this year and i have almost all of the letters picked out but 1. I need suggestions for books starting with the letter J. The book can begin with "A" or "The" b..."

How about "The Amulet of Samarkand" by (J)onathan Stroud? (Most of these challenges accept the author's name as well)

message 25: by Rico (new)

Rico Austin (MyBadTequila) | 2 comments Amiga & Amigo Readers, please sip & savor the epic, award winning, adventure & mystery novel "My Bad Tequila" with a margarita twist that You'll never see coming! Gracias - available on eReader or eKindle for Summer Special of only $2.99! ricoMy Bad Tequila

message 26: by Pickyreader (new)

Pickyreader | 2 comments I'd recommend Falling (Bits and Pieces #1). Falling (Bits and Pieces #1) by Shirley Miranda . I could relate with the main character and couldn't put it down. I immediately had to get Winter Solstice (book 2).

message 27: by Ela (new)

Ela Theo wrote: "How about these:

Ashes, The Supernaturalist, The Hunger Games, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Mortal Engines, or How I Live Now"

Haven't read the first two but the rest of them are brilliant.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I have recently been interested in books about magical creatures ie faries and myths. So if you know any books with these in them please let me know.

They can be in ebook or paper form. :)

message 29: by Ela (new)

Ela Hannah L wrote: "I have recently been interested in books about magical creatures ie faries and myths. So if you know any books with these in them please let me know.

They can be in ebook or paper form. :)"

The Wicked Loverly series are about farie courts and if you want something more fun the Percy Jackson series are about Greek Gods/myths in modern day America.

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Ela for your recommandations, I will check them out the now!:)

message 31: by Ela (new)

Ela No problem :D

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I was thinking about starting Under the Never Sky... I just finished Blood Red Road, Wither and Fever... all 3 books I loved so I'm hoping to find something that will be along those lines. I have heard a lot of people talking about Under The Never Sky and it has a lot off good reviews, just wondering what people's thoughts are.
Also thoughts on The Pledge I've thought of starting that one also.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Zola wrote: "I'm looking for a book that reminds me of Ship Breaker, Blood Red Road, or the Graceling series. Any recommendations?"

Divergent by Veronica Roth and the the sequel Insurgent... those were really good!!

Wither (Chemical Dreams Trilogy) by Lauren Destefano was a really good series!

message 34: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (livingisreading) Anybody have any reccomendations for books like Unwind by Neal Shusterman?

message 35: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Kyle wrote: "Anybody have any reccomendations for books like Unwind by Neal Shusterman?"

Maybe something like Little Brother or The House of the Scorpion

message 36: by Devon (new)

Devon (booksandbeyond28) Hey everyone. I need your opinion. First i'm torn between reading Crank, Claire De Lune, and Cinder. Then I need to choose between The Hunt, The Selection, The Water Wars, and The Compund. The one with the most votes from each selection will be the one i will be reading. Please only pick from the ones listed. please help!! =)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Devin, my vote is for The Selection and then Cinder! :-)

message 38: by Devon (new)

Devon (booksandbeyond28) thanks for your opinion =). i'm still torn between both sections lol

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I read The Selection twice and enjoyed it the second time just as much the first. They are making a show so you can look it up on imdb and get a visual for how the characters look.

message 40: by Devon (new)

Devon (booksandbeyond28) sweet =)

message 41: by Imasha (new)

Imasha You all have to read Tiger's Curse By colleen Houck!
It is the best book ever. It's my favourite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine | 147 comments Devon wrote: "Hey everyone. I need your opinion. First i'm torn between reading Crank, Claire De Lune, and Cinder. Then I need to choose between The Hunt, The Selection, The Water Wars, and The Compund. The one ..."

Cinder and The Selection.

message 43: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 20 comments Hey everyone - I'm looking for suggestions on what to read next - just finished Pretty Little Liars #1 which I loved and will continue the series. I'm two books into the Amanda Project and am almost done with The Liar Society. I equally loved all the books though Liar Society is by far the most suspenseful - can anyone recommend any more good mysteries? Thanks!

message 44: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Rebecca wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm looking for suggestions on what to read next - just finished Pretty Little Liars #1 which I loved and will continue the series. I'm two books into the Amanda Project and am almos..."

I'd recommend The Body Finder and I Am the Messenger

message 45: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Rebecca wrote: "Hey everyone - I'm looking for suggestions on what to read next - just finished Pretty Little Liars #1 "

I LOVED pretty little liars too!! Have you tried Sara Shepard's other series?? It's really good too! I'm reading my way through that one as well.
First book is called The Lying Game. I love Sara's writing style!

message 46: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Souza (passionateaboutbooks) Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I have a new review site at www.kimsbooklife.blogspot.com and I would love to have you stop by. Thanks and happy reading.

message 47: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Haddlin | 9 comments Hey, just wanted to see if anybody could tell me any books like Article 5, The Selection, The Pledge etc.... I love dystopian and have read most of the populars like Matchhed and Under The Never Sky.... Thanks!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read Divergent or Blood Red Road?

message 49: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Souza (passionateaboutbooks) Go to www.kimsbooklife.blogspot.com for some cool reads.

message 50: by Imasha (new)

Imasha Cool! ill check it out.

« previous 1 3 4