Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Forthcoming books for July 2011

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Here's the monthly list of major forthcoming SFF novels. Please let us know if you're planning to read any of these!

Adams, Guy: Restoration (#2 World House) (pbo)
Anderson, Kevin J.: The Key to Creation (#3 Terra Incognita) (tpo)
Ballard, J. G.: Millennium People
Birmingham, John: After America (pap)
Briggs, Patricia: Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf: Vol 1 (Graphic Novel)
Brooks, Terry: Bearers of the Black Staff (Legends of Shannara) (pap)
Butcher, Jim: Ghost Story (Dresden Files)
Carriger, Gail: Heartless (#4) (pbo)
Chandler, A Bertram: First Command (#2 Omnibus) (tpo)
Cody, Christine: Bloodlands (#1) (pbo)
Correia, Larry: Monster Hunter Alpha (pbo)
Published by Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore Page 5 of 8
Destefano, Merrie: Feast (Harvest of Dreams) (pbo)
Doyle, Larry: Go, Mutants! (tpo)
Drake, David: Out of the Waters (#2 Books of the Elements)
Flynn, Michael: January Dancer (pap)
Fox, Caleb: Zadayi Red (pap)
Gabaldon, Diana: Outlander (20th Anniversary Edition)
Gaiman, Neil: American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition
Gibson / Sterling: The Difference Engine (20th Anniversary Edition) (tpo)
Gilman, Felix: The Half-Made World (tpo)
Glass, Seressia: Shadow Fall (#3) (pbo)
Glenn, Alan: Amerikan Eagle (pbo)
Golemon, David L: Legacy
Goodkind, Terry: The Omen Machine
Goonan, Kathleen Ann: This Shared Dream
Gould, Steven: 7th Sigma
Goyer / Cassutt: Heaven’s Shadow (#1)
Gustainis, Justin: Sympathy For the Devil (#3 Morris & Chastain) (pap)
Gustainis, Justin: Hard Spell (Stan Markowski Scranton PD’s Supernatural Crimes
Investigation Unit) (pbo)
Hemry, John G: Stark’s War (pbo)
Henry, Christina: Black Night (#2 Agent of Death) (pbo)
Hickman, Tracy: Citadels of the Lost (#2 Annals of Drakis)
Hickman, Tracy: Song of the Dragon (pap)
Hines, Jim C: The Snow Queen’s Shadow (#4 Princess) (pbo)
Hoffman, Paul: The Left Hand of God (tpo)
Howard, Jonathan L.: Johannes Cabal the Detective (tpo)
Howard, Robert E: Conan (pap)
Johnson, Jean: A Soldier’s Duty (#1 Theirs Not To Reason Why) (pbo)
Kasai, Kirsten Imani: Tattoo (tpo)
Kearney, Paul: Kings of Morning (#3 Macht Trilogy) (pbo)
Knight, E E: Dragon Fate (#6 Age of Fire) (tpo)
Knight, E E: Dragon Outcast (#3 Age of Fire) (pbo)
Larke, Glenda: Stormlord’s Exile ( Stormlord #3 ) (pap)
Lee / Miller: Ghost Ship (Liaden)
Littlefield, Sophie: Rebirth (#2) (tpo)
Loory, Ben: Stories For Nighttime and Some For the Day (tpo)
Martin, George R.R.: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire 5)
Mccarthy, T C: Germline ( Subterrene War Trilogy #1 ) (pap)
Mckenna, Juliet E.: Dangerous Waters (#1 The Hardrumal Crisis) (pbo)
Meding, Kelly: Another Kind of Dead (pbo)
Miller, Karen: The Reluctant Mage (#2 Fisherman’s Children) (pbo)
Modesitt, L E: Imager’s Intrigue (pap)
Monk, Devon: Dead Iron: The Age of Steam (#1 Cedar Hunt) (tpo)
Moody, Rick: The Four Fingers of Death (tpo)
Moore, Moira J: Heroes At Odds (#6) (pbo)
Morrison, Boyd: The Vault
Morrison, Grant: Supergods
Published by Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore Page 6 of 8
Palmer, Philip: Hell Ship (tpo)
Pitts, J A: Honeyed Words
Pitts, J A: Honeyed Words (tpo)
Price, Kalayna: Grave Dance (#2) (pbo)
Roland, Lee: Viper Moon (pbo)
Rowland, Diana: My Life as a White Trash Zombie (#1) (pbo)
Rutherford, Alex: A Kingdom Divided
Salvatore, R A : The Bear (#4 Saga of the First King) (pap)
Somers, Jeff : The Final Evolution (#5 Avery Cates) (pbo)
Stewart, K A: A Shot in the Dark (#2) (pbo)
Stross, Charles: Rule 34 (Sequel To Halting State)
Sylvan, Dianne: Shadowflame (#2) (pbo)
Turtledove, Harry: The War That Came Early: The Big Switch
Weber, David: Mission of Honor (pap)
Williamson, Michael Z: Do Unto Others (pap)
Wilson, Robert Charles: Vortex (Turk Findley)
Wooding, Chris: The Black Lung Captain (tpo)
Ed. Datlow: Naked City (trd & tpo)
Ed. Dozois: The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Eighth Annual Collection (trd & tpo)
Gaiman / Sarrantonino: Stories (tp)
Ed. Hull: Gateways (tpo)
Eds. Ringo / Thomsen: Citizens (pap)
Ed. Van Name: The Wild Side (tpo)
Eds. Vandermeer, Ann & Jeff: The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities
Stirling Et Al: Exiled: Clan of the Claw (#1) (Novellas)

If you spot anything missing from the list, please add it in the comments. (I get this list from a local bookstore, and it frequently doesn't include everything. This time, for example, I had to add the George RR Martin book manually... hard to imagine they'd forget about this release, but I guess they did!)

message 2: by Christine (last edited Jul 04, 2011 10:26AM) (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I've already pre-ordered the Jim C. Hines book. A copy of the collections, Vandermeers and Datlow, I'll check out eventually. As I will the Dresden novel.

I'll be avoiding World House 2 like the plague.

message 3: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I am most excited about one missing from this list:
Heart of Iron by Ekaterina Sedia (July 26, 2011)

I'm considering:

-Eds. Vandermeer, Ann & Jeff: The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities
-Ed. Dozois: The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Eighth Annual Collection (trd & tpo)

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen Martin and Brooks at some point in the future (long distant re: Martin!)

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I'm waiting very impatiently for the next Dresden Files book. It's going to be $14.99 on the Nook, so I'm probably going to switch from print to audio editions. My daughter tells me that James Marsters does a great job of narrating the series, so I'll see if she's right.

message 6: by Kara (last edited Jul 04, 2011 04:23PM) (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments I'll be checking out Carriger, Gail: Heartless (#4), but probably not till it's released on audio. (I'm currently just starting to listen to Blameless (#3)).

Also keeping my eye on Rebirth.

message 7: by Kevin (last edited Jul 04, 2011 04:57PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments A Dance with Dragons is going to be big. I predict its going to be #1 New York Times Bestseller for the rest of the summer and on the list for the rest of the year.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 604 comments YES!!! The final Stormlod book by Glenda Larke is coming out!!

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Sandi,

The Jim Butcher website noted that for family reasons, James Marsters couldn't record Ghost Story, which is disappointing. He's great at narrating the books.

message 10: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Laurel wrote: "Sandi,

The Jim Butcher website noted that for family reasons, James Marsters couldn't record Ghost Story, which is disappointing. He's great at narrating the books."

Really? My daughter will be so disappointed. I did listen to him narrate Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files, but he just didn't sound like the voice I heard in my head for Harry. I loved him as Thomas and as Murphy though.

message 11: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments I have the pb of The January Dancer by Michael Flynn on order and await it breathlessly; and I will certainly be interested in Stross's Rule 34 when it too is in mmpb format. And hey, look, there's a new Kevin J Anderson title! Unfortunately, I have to wash my hair that day....

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Candiss wrote: "I am most excited about one missing from this list:
Heart of Iron by Ekaterina Sedia (July 26, 2011)

Sedia and a new one! That's added to my list!

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3222 comments Mod
A Dance with Dragons, eventually.
Ghost Story, also eventually.
and probably Vortex, since I liked Spin and I also have Axis.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments I've been looking forward to Heroes at Odds. Looks like there are some other interesting things on the list, but I don't know if I'll be able to make the time for them this month.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Heartless by Gail Carriger was actually released end of June. I've already read it - and I enjoyed it. It felt like set-up for the next book, though, but it was still good overall.

I will be getting to Ghost Story by Jim Butcher - but not until it's out in paperback.

I'm undecided about the 'American Gods Anniversary Edition'. I mean, I really like American Gods, but I'm not sure it really needs to be any longer...

I'm not a GRRM fan, and refuse to even attempt the series until it's over, so I'll be trying to avoid that particular hubbub.

I will want to pick up Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding at some point in the not-too-distant future, though. I'm currently reading the first in the series and generally enjoying it.

message 16: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Colleen,

Pick up Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2) by Chris Wooding . I enjoyed it even more than the first!

message 17: by Edward (new)

Edward Butler | 19 comments Two paperback releases I've been awaiting for some time now; Zadayi Red by Caleb Fox, and The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman. I read Gilman's Thunderer, loved it, hunted down the sequel, Gears of the City, wasn't as good, but it scratched the itch. Sad that this new book is unrelated, but Gilman's given me enough to trust him on this one. As for the Caleb Fox book, it comes highly recommended, and I love that it's mass paperback and not trade. Those trade paperbacks take up too much space.

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Going to pick up
Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin
Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson

message 19: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Gotta pick up Heartless; may pick up the Sedia as well, but I should probably read the two I already have by her on my TBR stack first. . .

message 20: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Phoenixfalls wrote: "Gotta pick up Heartless; may pick up the Sedia as well, but I should probably read the two I already have by her on my TBR stack first. . ."

I most enthusiastically recommend The House of Discarded Dreams. It shares some flavor with Valente, in a dreamlike, softly surrealist package.

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I have to pick up Correia's Monster Hunter Alpha and Ghost Story.

I have Martin, Gilman and Carriger on my TBR

message 22: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Candiss wrote: "In the silence of the shrine, I bowed to the corpse on the altar: a minor member of the Imperial Family, who had died in a boating accident on Lake Texcoco."

That's one of the two I have; I'll make sure to read it first! :)

message 23: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I have Ghost Ship on the way. Nothing else from the list that I desperately have to have. I think I have some stuff on pre-order for August though.

message 24: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Phoenixfalls wrote: "Candiss wrote: "In the silence of the shrine, I bowed to the corpse on the altar: a minor member of the Imperial Family, who had died in a boating accident on Lake Texcoco."

That's one of the two..."

Wow...I don't know what's up with this (whether it's a Goodreads system oopsie, or if you were doing quoted replies in multiple threads or something...but that's a very odd and funky misquote. (the "Candiss wrote: "In the silence...etc") I know I didn't write anything like that in this thread, and I don't see where anyone else did, either.

Odd!

message 25: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 48 comments I've already got the next Dresden pre-ordered, but I don't think I'll actually read it until I finish the Mistborn trilogy.

message 26: by Phoenixfalls (last edited Jul 08, 2011 05:34PM) (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Candiss wrote: "Wow...I don't know what's up with this (whether it's a Goodreads system oopsie, or if you were doing quoted replies in multiple threads or something...but that's a very odd and funky misquote. (the "Candiss wrote: "In the silence...etc") I know I didn't write anything like that in this thread, and I don't see where anyone else did, either.

Odd!"

D'oh! Guess my "copy" didn't work. . . instead I pasted the last thing I had in my clipboard, which was the first sentence of Servant of the Underworld by Aliette de Bodard. :)

Teach me not to double-check and reread the stuff I post!

I meant to paste this part: "I most enthusiastically recommend The House of Discarded Dreams. It shares some flavor with Valente, in a dreamlike, softly surrealist package."

message 27: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
That is so funny. The dangers of cut and paste... oh, the stories I could tell you :)