Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion


1022 views
What's so bad about being a Twilight Fanatic?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 631 (631 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Lindis Russell I am starting this chat because I am wondering why people are so upset about the "Twilight Rage" I happen to be a "Twilighter" I love the books, I love the story, I wish I could be a Cullen! And I'm not a love starved teenager! I'm an adult.
What's so wrong about being so into a story, Twilight is a beautiful story. You have to remember people, IT'S FICTION! Just because you don't get into the hype, or hysteria or whatever you want to call it, doesn't mean that you have to bash the story or the writer.
I'd love to be able to write a story that millions of people adore, with charachters that that people want to be. Remember, millions of fans can't be wrong.
I particulary don't care for Justin Beiber, but I'm not going to critize people who do.
It's healthy to fantasize, to have a vivid unique imagination.
I guess I just want to know, What's so wrong with being a Twilight Fanatic!?!?!?!
By the way, I happen to be a Potter Geek too! Ask me anything, if I don't know what the answer is, I know where to find it! : ) Happy Reading!!!!


Lindis Russell Also, I get tired of hearing, "The movie ruined the book." Did you know? That they didn't expect for Twilight to be a success? They didn't pland on going on with the other books. They had a very low budget. Even I have to agree that Twilight was not the best representation of a book. But you have to admit, the movies are getting much much better as we go along. Budgets are bigger. And these young actors are growing and developing along with the movies.


message 3: by Ashlee (last edited Feb 25, 2011 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashlee I read the series in 09 and fell in love with it. I was also hyped up over Twilight the movie. I think it's a little overrated how some girls pretend to actually be Cullens or actually make trips to Forks or La Push (if those are real places) etc. Theres a line between being creepily obsessive over the series and actually believing your apart of it, and being a big fan of the book and movie. I see where your coming from and I'm not ashamed. I recommend them to all my friends to read. It's one of my favorite series, and after "Twilight" became big, look at all the Immortal and Vampire books that have come out, some of them are really good too!


Lindis Russell Oh yeah, the market has really exploded with paranormal/supernatural books. And I'm loving it. I really do like the House of Night novels, Hush Hush, and Fallen. It seems that Angels might be the next big thing. And by the way, Forks and LaPush are real places, you can find them on a map of Washington. (well, at least Forks, I'm not sure about LaPush) They actually moved "Bella's house" from Forks to a filming lot, I think in California. I'm glad you like them too! My friends and I would love to take a trip up there to see where the movies were filmed. But, it wouldn't just be a "Twilight" trip. We'd love to hang out it Seattle. More like a "girls trip"!


message 5: by Ashlee (last edited Feb 25, 2011 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashlee Yea, because of Twilight I've actually started to want to read more immortal-type series. I'm currently reading the Immortal Series by Alyson Noel- and those books are Evermore, Blue Moon, Shadowland, Dark Flame, Night Star, and the last and final installment is coming out this Summer. I'm currently on Night Star. I've also heard great things about the House of Night series, so I went ahead and bought the first two books in that series. My friend wants me to read the Vampire Diaries/Vampire Academy books, and I think I will-in time...but too much fantasy gets a little boring, you know? If I read too much of one genre I get bored. Last year I went through a Nicholas Sparks kick and read 4 or 5 books by him in a short period of time, and by the time I went to start "The Guardian" I was about 20 pages in and just grew bored of it. That also happened to me the first time I attempted to read "Safe Haven" by him but when I did finally read it it was AMAZING. He's an amazing author, but too much lovey dovey made me want to take a break, you know? so now I switch it up. Read an immortal series, then some love, and then some reality-type books (I'm a sucker for Jodi Picoult)
Now I'm just rambling, so I'll go ahead and finish this up- but in a nutshell, I'd love to go and see where they filmed the movies too, not because I want to "pretend" I'm a vampire or something (lol), but because I think it would be cool to say "I've been to the place where they actually filmed the movies!" and I actually had no idea that Bella's house was actually filmed in Washington, I thought they were all filmed in some remote location, hmm.


Lindis Russell I have heard alot about the Immortal series and hope to get them on my "list" as well. I just have so much that I want to read! So many books, so little time! I can see what you mean by getting bored with a certian genre. Except I like to throw in a little Stephen King now and them. I guess I still like the made up fantasy stuff. I can't really get into the real life stuff. I have enough reality in my life, I need some fantasy! I am reading (and I blush to admit it) some paranormal romamce right now by Diana Gabaldon. This aint your "Ooooh, he kissed me and everything is right in the world" romance! But it has alot of Historical Fiction in it. The setting is actualy in UK/Scottland durring the 1940's but she, Clair falls into a stonehenge type of thing and get's transported to the 1700's. Now I'm rambling. : ) Anyway, I think it's pretty cool. But very long!
And if I'm not mistaken, the Cullen house is actually in Forks too. But in the movies we actuall only see the front of the house, that part is true, but the town is like right behind the house. I think it's funny. : )


Ashlee Hmm, well thats very interesting. I guess I like some good reality books now and then because I like Law and alot of Jodi Picoult books are based on trials and theyre really amazing reads. I have SO many books to read! I have a goal of reading 35 books this year (last year it was 20- trying to increase every year)but with a one year old son and going to college full time, I don't always have time to sit down and read when I want. This year however I've read 8 books so far that were all decent lenghts, and if I keep this up I'll definitely read more than my goal, which I'm excited about! :)


Ashlee Oh and a side note- The Immortal Series is GREAT! I'm on the 5th book now, the last one in the series comes out this Summer, but I don't want to wait! =(


Lindis Russell Oh yeah, I hate to wait for the next book in a series, I'm waiting for the next House of Night, The third in the Hush Hush series and the third in the Fallen series! UGH! I admire you for going through college with a one year old tagging along! Good luck! I think I'll add Immortal to my to read now! : )


Ashlee Yea, I used to have a thing about not reading a series until all the books were out. I did that with Twilight, Pretty Little Liars, and when I thought the Immortal series only had three, I did it with that series too. But now that I'm really getting back into reading, and now if a good book comes out in a series, I just want to read it and risk it having a cliff hanger until the next, lol. Right now I'm waiting for the second book in the Riley Bloom series to come out (in a few weeks) and then the last book in the Immortal series (this Summer) and the next book in the "Lying Game" series by Sara Shepard. I'm pretty sure Nicholas Sparks is coming out with a new book soon too, so I'm anxiously awaiting more for him too.


Ashlee Oh, and thanks for the compliment. It certainly isn't easy- but we have a routine, he usually takes a morning nap and an afternoon nap so I can work on homework, and then I manage to play with him, to house work, and read while he's awake. Sometimes a few good toys keep him occupied for a while so I can sneak a few chapters in. :)


Amanda Hartkorn Forks and LaPush are real places, Meyers did research on EVERYTHING before writing. I think she's amazing for doing that. She researched the wettest place in the continental US, which happened to be that part of Washington. When naming the Cullens, she used names that were popular around the era that each Cullen hailed from.

The books were just great to get into and I am not ashamed to have read them either! I think that what makes this hype bad is all the Team Jacob, Team Edward crap that the young teeny boppers induldge in. I don't condemn them for it, I remember what it was like to be young. But I do see how it can annoy the haters. Heck I went through a Hanson phase and it was the same then, people were annoyed. The movies are good. I wish they could have put certain things into the movies that they left out but no one is perfect. I agree that they are getting better!

Ok so there really is only one problem I have with the books now that I think about it. I am not too big a fan of the fact that Bella gets everything she wants! LOL. She gets changed and gets to be with Edward forever, she doesn't freak out like most newborns do, and no one really dies except maybe people who deserve it(and of course poor Bree). It just seems too perfect at times. But I do not discredit Meyer's ability to write whatsoever!


message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara Payne I love the books as well. Stephanie Meyer did an excellent job writing the complex characters like jasper hes the quite and sorta weird. But as the series unfolds you get a glimpse into the cullen's life before becoming a vampire. The whole team jacob and team edward i think its kind of childish but again i'm not a teeny booper. I am not a hater by no means. I will admit i hated the whole vampire stories then i read twilight and was hooked the love shared between the characters is unique.


message 14: by Ashlee (last edited Mar 05, 2011 06:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashlee Yea, no doubt she did a lot of research... I mean, every author has to if they want to have a good book on their hands. One thing I just can't stand is how Edward got Bella pregnant. He isn't LIVING so how does he have sperm to create a half living being? that's just one thing that has always gotten under my skin. Stephenie Meyer goes on to say how he doesn't need to sleep, eat, breathe, etc. But out of nowhere he's got little soldiers? lmao! I love Bella, but I do agree it's not fair that she gets everything she wants. I mean, she even got to kiss Jacob and see his side of everything and STILL got Edward. Teeny Boppers made the movies overrated, but I will definitely always be a fan of the books, and hell; the movies too. I'm not ashamed!


Amanda Hartkorn Oh yeah the fact that she got a little taste of the wereworld and still got to have Edward is just not fair!


Ashlee Definitely. I mean, she's kind of whiney when it comes to Edward leaving in New Moon, but I actually enjoyed getting to see Jacob's side of things...although in the movies he comes off as a pompous asshole and I can't stand his character.


Keely I will join in and say I loved the books as well. It's funny that I came across this little discussion, because I just wrote a little 'rant and rave' on my blog about this after reading a ton of reviews bashing Twilight. Some people were actually insulting Twilight fans, saying the 'books disgusted them as well as their fans.' A little much if you ask me.

I'm glad to see there are those who are unashamed to say they loved the books! Especially adults who don't start their comment with 'OMGOMG!' lol

Hush Hush and Crescendo were really good; can't wait for Silence. The Fallen series is okay so far; I'll be much happier after reading Passion and finding the answers to the questions I've had throughout both books.

Another trilogy worth looking at is the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking (all three are out, so there's no worry about cliff hangers). Check it out.

Happy Reading fellow Twilight fans :)


message 18: by Rocio (new) - rated it 1 star

Rocio I saw the movie and i loved it, so i read the books, i love the first one,the others not so much, I know is fiction, but it didn't feel real. I gues i must have gotten really into the books because i read them really fast. When I re-read the books, I do that a lot, i just couldn't stand the way Meyer writes, how she develops the story, and, worst of all, I hated Bella !!! She's not a really good character. It feels like a 30 something women writing about a teenager and the only thing she remembers about that age is to be winy, selfish and self center. In conclusion, I LOVE the movies, i would not recommend the books.


Ashlee Scarlet, wow...thats an interesting way to word it I guess. Although I respectfully disagree. The movies didn't have nearly as much detail as the books, and since the books came first, I don't think the movies can ever trump them because...they were based OFF of the books, you know? just like I think that movies can't ruin a book because the book was first. Bella was a very confused person, and you got a lot more in-depth look in her thoughts when reading the book, there wasn't a whole lot of narration in the movies. Yea Bella seems selfish and self-centered, but to be honest...most teenagers are, and have been and always will be. When your a teenager your hormones are crazy and it really is one of the hardest times in life, but also some of the funnest. I think Meyer was a brilliant writer, and if you notice; after she wrote Twilight look at all the Vampire/Immortal books that came out, she definitely was on to something. I love her! :)


message 20: by Rocio (new) - rated it 1 star

Rocio So, we agree to disagree. Vampire books, series and movies have been out for a very long time before Twilight, I love vampire books, my favorites beeing Dracula and Salem's Lot. I get the whole idea, and normally I love books about teens for teens (I am complety in love with Edward). I don't hate twilight, but I do see why other people hate it. Is an OK book on my rating, I would never put it at level with Dracula (Again, totally loved it). I have never said i prefered a movie over the book before, but for tiwlight, saddly I say so. And is not that i don't like selfish characters, Scarlet O'Hara is kind of a role model to me because you get to appreciate why she's that way. Bella is unjustified in my point of view. In conclution, good storie, bad execution, kind of Delacroix on Old Sparky, Meyer = Percy. Hope I dont't offend anyone :S


message 21: by Ashlee (last edited Mar 12, 2011 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashlee Yea, I see where your coming from. And I like that everyone has different views, because it makes the discussions more interesting. I'm well aware that Vampire books have been around for a LONG time, but I do believe that after Twilight blew up, a lot more immortal and vampire series started coming back. Like the House of Night and Vampire Academy/Vampire Diaries, and even the Immortal Series by Alyson Noel. At least from what I've noticed anyways. I sat down and read Twilight in one night, and loved it. I think I'll always be a fan of books to movies, because books just hold so much more detail that isn't always betrayed on the screen, you know? I mean I thought the movies were okay, but I can't stand Jacob's character sometimes. In the books I don't remember him being such a pompous ass, but in the movies he's just a macho idiot (if you ask me) but I also think that they kinda made Edward look like a weenie (lol!) but in the books I saw him as much more masculine (well for what he was, anyways). In a nutshell- I know that I'm a fan of the books more than the movies. I actually started re-reading the series and I finished New Moon for the second time and thought to myself "Why re-read this when I can move on to new and interesting books?" and I decided to stop there. Sometimes if I really love a book I'll re-read it because I miss the characters and the story, but I seldom do it anymore.

OH! and a quote I read online that had me literally lol I wanted to share: "TWILIGHT A story about a girl's choice between Bestiality and Necrophilia "

LOL!


message 22: by Lindis (last edited Mar 15, 2011 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindis Russell Amanda wrote: "Forks and LaPush are real places, Meyers did research on EVERYTHING before writing. I think she's amazing for doing that. She researched the wettest place in the continental US, which happened to b..."

Well said. And I agree with the "Bella get's whatever she want's thing." I personally hate how (after New Moon) Edward is just so dang prefect. He understands everything and handles everthing perfectly! My favorite vampire is Emmett. He needs to dump poor "I hate my vampire life Rosalie" and find someone fun! Like ME! : )


Lindis Russell Keely wrote: "I will join in and say I loved the books as well. It's funny that I came across this little discussion, because I just wrote a little 'rant and rave' on my blog about this after reading a ton of re..."

I'm sorry I did have to LOL and your OMGOMG comment! Too true! I also can't wait for Silence and Passion. Specially Passion, you're right, there are still alot of unanswered questions there!


Caitlin I like them and they're good books, but the people who get oppressive over them,the team Jacob and Edward thing, and the fans who will rip your throat out for not being in love with them bug me.


Rakisha I am a 38-year-old young adult librarian, and I don't see anything wrong with being a Twi-hard fanatic. I applaud anything that makes kids want to read more. I read the first book, and I thought it was medicore literature but I was wrapped up in it none the less. It made me think about my teen years and the enormity (is that a word, lol) of my feelings when I feel in love. I also enjoy the movies.

What disgusts me about the whole Twilight thing is book publishers marketing classic works and new books by trying to make the cover look like Twilight covers.


message 26: by Ashlee (last edited Mar 19, 2011 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashlee Yea, I have to say I agree with Rakisha- I HATE when they change book covers. I go looking for a book and have a hard time finding it sometimes (especially when it's made into a movie) because they change it 4 different times. They're currently doing it for PLL and I hate it. Mainly because the TV series girls look nothing like the girls from the book so it makes no sense. At least the actors in the Twilight movies resemble what I had created in my head for the characters in the story.


Rakisha Ashlee wrote: "Yea, I have to say I agree with Rakisha- I HATE when they change book covers. I go looking for a book and have a hard time finding it sometimes (especially when it's made into a movie) because they..."

I feel silly, but what is PLL?


Esther There are many rants about Twilight because it's different, each of these series captures the theme of other classics. They are beautifuly written allusions of love. Most of them are references to Shakspeare: Twilight, a Midnisght Summers Dream, New moon Romeo and Juliet, Eclipse Wruthering Heights, and i am not sure bout breaking dawn. The point is, it's a more exciting way of reading classics. I myself hated reading Wruthering Heights, i couldn't get in to it. I am a twihearter, but its more about whose a sexy werewolf, and who is an immortal hottie. It has comedy, and topics most everyone can realte to.


message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Harlow I love the Twilight series. I love the story that Stephenie tells. I am not obsessed with it. They are awesome ,but some people go overboard with obsessing over books and pretending to be characters from them. That's just childish. Grow up!


Lindis Russell Well, I guess that I don't want to grow up then. I would love to be a Cullen. I would also love to be Tally Youngblood in the Uglies series, and Hermione Granger, I would love to be as smart and clever as she is. Just like I wanted to be Snow White when I was little. And if having a colorful imagination and a rich fantasy life means that I am childish, then so be it.

It's not like I go out in public and force people to call me Lindis Cullen, and then try to eat their cat. I just think that it would be awesome to live in their world. Not that my life sucks, because it dosen't. I have a wonderful full life. But we all fantasize. Just about different things.

I would also love to be some of the characters in the more "adult" books I read; Claire in Outlander. I think throwing yourself into a book is an exciting way to expierence a book.

Call me childish if you want to. I'll just grab my teddy bear, and a lolly-pop, sit in a corner and get totally lost in a book. I can think of worse things someone can be doing.

Happy Reading, and Go get lost in a book!!!!!


message 31: by H.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

H.J. Daly I am happy to admit I'm a big kid. The only reason Twilight has had such a bad rap recently is because it was splash on everything and the films did nothing to promote the books. People tend to tar the books with the film and it's just not fair. These are books that I could not put down. They are well written flow with such pace and the characters are so believable even though we are talking about vampires and werewolves. It's because she writes about the individuals not the species and the Host is as good if not better.

I then took to YA like a duck to water. They seem to have the right mix of background and description without going over the top so you can really enjoy the story.

I moved on to Hunger games and City of Bones. Cassandra Claire is a fantastic writer. Her use of language is amazing.


message 32: by Ashlee (last edited Mar 26, 2011 06:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashlee I really wish that they advertised books as much as they do movies, for one. For two- PLL- is Pretty Little Liars, Rakisha. It's a Young Adult series by Sara Shepard. And as for the childish comment, really? I mean...everyone has their own opinion...but I think it's rude to call someone childish for getting lost in a book. Come on now! sometimes reality does suck, and it's nice to get lost in a book. I won't drone on the comment too much, because Lindis pretty much said what I would say, only better. Having an imagination is one thing, going out in public and actually beliving you are a Cullen is another. But I say live a little! I also agree, there are way worse things people could be doing, besides getting lost in a good book or wishing that a fantasty book was real. Now, I don't want to make it sound like I'm calling you out directly, Amy...because you do have a point. People who actually believe it's real or try hard to make it real to them...well that is going a bit overboard, but don't be so judgemental of someone for being obsessed with a series. Everyone has something they like to fantasize over, it's not a bad thing...


Lindis Russell Helen wrote: "I am happy to admit I'm a big kid. The only reason Twilight has had such a bad rap recently is because it was splash on everything and the films did nothing to promote the books. People tend to tar..."

I work in a middle school and ordered the Hunger Games books through Scholastic. I can't wait to get into them! Yep, I'm a YA reader too. Hopefully, someday I'll finish the one I've started! : )


Lindis Russell Ashlee wrote: "I really wish that they advertised books as much as they do movies, for one. For two- PLL- is Pretty Little Liars, Rakisha. It's a Young Adult series by Sara Shepard. And as for the childish commen..."

lol! Thank you Ashlee! Well said by you too!


message 35: by H.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

H.J. Daly Lindis. The 1st Hunger Games is the best, second okay but unfortunately the 3rd just seems to fade at the end. But still worth a read.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, I have to ask, why is everyone so shocked that the movies were not as good as the book. You tell me what movie is ever as good as the book it came from. Books are in nature more personal to us. We spend more time, get to know the story and absorb it over a longer period of time than a movie.
That said of course I loved the books and while the movie wasnt as good ya I own them lol


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Virginia wrote: "Ok, I have to ask, why is everyone so shocked that the movies were not as good as the book. You tell me what movie is ever as good as the book it came from. Books are in nature more personal to u..."

Some movies are better than the books, but most aren't, I'm not suprised. I think the book was better than the movie, but I still think the movie was good!


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Rakisha wrote: "I am a 38-year-old young adult librarian, and I don't see anything wrong with being a Twi-hard fanatic. I applaud anything that makes kids want to read more. I read the first book, and I thought it..."

In bold letters! Man you really want to get your point across! lol. :)


Sharon I think it's just all gone a little too far. Twilight is everywhere. Every place I turn every time I log on to read about or write about a book Twilight is there. It's ok to like or even love a book, but some of these people have an unhealthy obsession with this mediocre work of fiction. I'm one of those people who are drawing the line. Enough is enough, pick up another book and read something with substance.... or a plot for that matter.


Lindis Russell Sharon wrote: "I think it's just all gone a little too far. Twilight is everywhere. Every place I turn every time I log on to read about or write about a book Twilight is there. It's ok to like or even love a boo..."

Ooooo, dang! Ouch, that hurt! No need to slam it, just because you don't like it. I will stand up for what I like, but I would never slam someone else's choice in reading. It's no different than other things that get alot of media. Like Harry Potter. (which I happen to love too) Just an FYI, I read other genres too. Dan Brown and Stephen King among others. Just because someone is totally into something like Twilight. It dosen't mean that's all they read.

I have read the Twiligh Saga at least three times. Proud to admit it! It DOES have substance! Have you read them? (I understand if it's just not your thing)

And I think that you need to get a dictionary and look up the word "plot".

Happy Reading to you. I hope you can get lost in a book that is more your style.


Lindis Russell Fiona wrote: "I see nothing wrong with being a Twilight fanatic. I'm an open Twilight fan. I do love it. Very much so."

Good for you Fiona!!!!!


Alese There is nothing wrong with being a twihard fan. I was and still am one, I don't read the books as often as I used to.. but it's still a good series. My sister read the first one (cause I had been bragging about how good it was.) but now, the series is just like any of my other books.. sitting on my shelf.. I still love it though :)


message 43: by Sun (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sun (the one that glows in the dark, of course) Gabbie wrote: "Ashlee wrote: "Yea, no doubt she did a lot of research... I mean, every author has to if they want to have a good book on their hands. One thing I just can't stand is how Edward got Bella pregnant...."

I was just about to explain that to her, lol. Then I read your comment and thought, "someone got ahead of me. :("
Haha.


message 44: by Sun (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sun (the one that glows in the dark, of course) Okay, so I read everyone' opinion about Twilight and the haters and the teeny boppers and the existence of the locations in the book.

When I first heard of the hype surrounding the Twilight series, I became obsessed to possess the four books since I am a freakin hardcore bookworm. That was the era when I haven't yet got around to reading reviews on Twilight.

When I read Twilight, I was amazed and speechless. Who wouldn't want to have a vamp-boyfriend who wrote a lullaby for me? Make that vamp-boyfriend good looking and you got every girl's dream come true.

I hastened to read New Moon and cried along when Bella told me of her pain of losing Edward. I actually shed a tear when I watched the movie where she lay on the jungle floor, too numb with despair. I rejoiced when Bella started to become normal again with Jacob's help. I was also outraged like Bella did when I read of Jacob's avoiding her. I was very involved with the book. I loved it.

Then I read Eclipse. Again, I was impressed. I loved it. I laughed when Bella fractured a bone in her hand for punching Jacob when he kissed her.

Finally, I read Breaking Dawn. I loved it as much as the books that preceded it. The series was lovely and awesome. I loved all of the books.

Then I read the reviews. All the catty and mean and spiteful and hateful and deranged reviews. And the praising ones. That's when I realized the book has flaws. It was not perfect like I thought it is. There is supposed to be someone who dies other than Bella's dad's friend and Bree Tanner in the series.

And I will admit too that I once laughed when I read an article titled, "Why I hate Twilight" that I found in a blog. I was not sorry because it was true, if you are looking at it from a hater's POV. It was funny, truly.

But still it didn't make the Twilight series any less amazing. I owned all four books and I am proud for spending my allowance to buy them. Well, one is a present from my best friend so maybe it didn't count but that is not the point here.

It was amazing but rereading it too much makes me realize of the flaws in the book when I have been reading other books which I wouldn't deny were quite better than Twilight.

But Twilight is still very good in its own way. It is unique(vampires sparkle!!!) and very well-written(I loved the history of the Quileute's ancestors). It is a creative piece.

But I still have a good time laughing at it sometimes. I am a TwiHalfers. I loved it and I resented it.

Well, even if people criticized the Twilight series, it didn't stop me from buying Stephenie Meyer's The Host, which was one of the best books I ever read besides Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, The Narnia chronicles and New Moon.

People who haven't read The Host yet should read it. Like, immediately. It made me cry and laugh and smile and despair and hurt. It was perfect.

My conclusion is Stephenie Meyer can write good books, no matter what those haters say.


message 45: by Sun (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sun (the one that glows in the dark, of course) Rakisha wrote: "I am a 38-year-old young adult librarian, and I don't see anything wrong with being a Twi-hard fanatic. I applaud anything that makes kids want to read more. I read the first book, and I thought it..."

I noticed that,too. It was lame, actually, I think.

:) They should be more creative.


message 46: by Lindis (last edited Apr 01, 2011 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindis Russell Sun wrote: "Okay, so I read everyone' opinion about Twilight and the haters and the teeny boppers and the existence of the locations in the book.

When I first heard of the hype surrounding the Twilight series..."


Very well said Sun.

I defend the books that I love passionately, but I also can laugh at myself. I though the movie "Vampire Sucks" was flippin' funny!!! (some of it totally stupid, but overall funny) I understand that some people don't like it, think is't beneath them, whatever.

My friends and I think that the scene in New Moon where Jacob passionately says something to Bella in his native language (just before Alice shows up) is one of the cheeziest things ever! We laughed out loud at the theatre when it happened. (and got a few dirty looks) And in Twilight, in the "Lion and Lamb" scene, Bella says "It does not matter." Really, people don't speak like that, we say "It doesn't matter."

I guess that's why we go back and read the books. They are very well written.

I am a Twihard, but I can also laugh at myself when I go overboard. Trust me, our husbands laugh at us all the time!!!!

Happy Reading Everyone!


Atarah Poling OMG I am a major Twilight fan, Harry Potter fan and Percy Jackson fan at that lol. I love them all and I see nothing wrong with enjoying them. I feel terrible when people bash the books. So what if you're not into the hype the least people can do is respect each other and their opinions. I respect those who do not like Twilight and other books that I happen to enjoy. Why can't they do the same?


message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Atarah wrote: "OMG I am a major Twilight fan, Harry Potter fan and Percy Jackson fan at that lol. I love them all and I see nothing wrong with enjoying them. I feel terrible when people bash the books. So what if..."

Thank you!!! I enjoyed them too! :)


Cheryl aka Pashion I have been known to Twihard from time to time myself... Also an adult ...with NO teenagers living in my house...LOL I understand that it is not the best written book in the world, but I really enjoyed them ... wish I was Alice ...would love to be mated to a strong southern gentleman ...LOL


Atarah Poling Marisa wrote: "Atarah wrote: "OMG I am a major Twilight fan, Harry Potter fan and Percy Jackson fan at that lol. I love them all and I see nothing wrong with enjoying them. I feel terrible when people bash the bo..."


You are very welcome!


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
back to top