YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Book talk > Question About Books

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments Hi, I love this genre of books we read but I don't read anything that is too sexually explicit or demonic (witches, demons, etc.) It's just a personal preference but my question is about MORE books because you can never read too much right? As I've said before, Twilight was the book that got me into this genre and dystopian style has become my favorite above all. I was just reading the If you like...you may like... thread started by 'Stacia ~ curiouser and curiouser.' One of the comments that she makes is 'Again, both are "sweet" love stories. This series is like a baby version of an adult PNR series.' I guess that's sort of what I'm looking for- more baby versions of PNR or dystopian novels. I've read a lot so any new thoughts would be highly appreciated.

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 10, 2011 10:37PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I was just posting about this series in the what are you reading thread :

There's nothing offensive in these books, it's a cute love story, but also has some fun elements of sci-fi and time travel.

The Hourglass Door (Hourglass Door Trilogy, #1) by Lisa Mangum The Golden Spiral (Hourglass Door Trilogy, #2) by Lisa Mangum Book 3 will be out this summer.

I think I already posted Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan and Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1) by Rachel Hawthorne Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2) by Rachel Hawthorne Dark of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #3) by Rachel Hawthorne Shadow of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #4)  by Rachel Hawthorne in the other topic.

Dark Guardians is a very cute set of books. Each girl finds her wolf soulmate.

For dystopian, I'm assuming you've read Hunger Games already? And I'm pretty sure you mentioned already reading Unwind. If so, then I'd suggest the Maze Runner books if you haven't gotten to them yet.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 11, 2011 01:52AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Just going through my YA list and picking out a few that are pretty tame but still decent :

Hunger (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1) by Jackie Kessler Rage (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #2) by Jackie Kessler (haven't read the second one yet)

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Morganville Vamps isn't too out there. The vamps are sort of the enemy, so they're not glamorized at these highly sexual beings or something to aspire to. There's hinting at sexual flirtation and eventually a very brief mention of a person hooking up with her boyfriend, but this is one of the tamer YA's in regard to content I think.

I'm too lazy to look at your list, but I'm assuming since you like action-y type books that you've read Percy Jackson? I love that series.

Westerfield also wrote Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Behemoth (Leviathan, #2) by Scott Westerfeld if you're into Steampunk. I'm sort of on the fence about Westerfield. I like his stories, but am not as fond of his writing style.

message 4: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments Stacia, you are awesome! Yes I have read and loved Hunger Games series, Unwind, and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series and I also like The Maze Runner/Scorch Trials. I haven't read any of these others though I have Firelight sitting in a pile of library books ready to read. I'm going to get the rest on your list. Thank you for taking the time to put all of these down!

message 5: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
hmmmmm
how about

Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer The Strange Power, The Possessed, The Passion (Dark Visions, #1-3) by L.J. Smith The Initiation and The Captive, Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2) by L.J. Smith Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Camille by Tess Oliver Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

message 6: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 11, 2011 01:27PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh yeah. Nightshade was cute and it wasn't too out there. Good call.

I think HoN might be a bit too sexual based on what she's looking for? Not sure though, but the scene with Loren is pretty detailed for a YA. It's hard though to know where someone's comfort zone is, so maybe it wouldn't bother her.

It's also possible that HoN could be a bit iffy for those with personal/spiritual/religious reasons not to read the books because of the goddess worship thing too.

message 7: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments Artemis, thank you for your book suggestions. A Kiss in Time looks so good! This is such a wonderful group and it's great having you guys and all your 'book advice!'

You are right about the L.J. Smith books Stacia.

message 8: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

@ Stacia i can see what your saying about HoN

@ Candy

The Initiation and The Captive, Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2) by L.J. Smith and The Strange Power, The Possessed, The Passion (Dark Visions, #1-3) by L.J. Smith dont have very much sexual action going on just a kiss here and there most of it is about the story. both books are awesome! :)

message 9: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

oooooooo i forgot one The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong and The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) by Kelley Armstrong the series is great there is a love interest but its super sweet

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) yeah those are cute. :)

message 11: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I still need to finish them.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Me too, at least I need to read the third one. I figured it would be a good one for the clean up challenge.

message 13: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I have to wait until I get a new ID card. Apparently Derek? gets hot so I have to continue.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Yeah, but you kind of know that will happen in the first book, since Chloe looks at him and can tell he's good looking. He was just stuck with the acne and sweating problem because of his changing hormones.

message 15: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Yeah, true.

message 16: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

i love Derek!! sooo sweet!! the third book is the best in the series it think :)

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments Artemis wrote: "oooooooo i forgot one The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong and The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) by Kelley Armstrong the series is great there is a love interest but its super sweet"

I was going to suggest the same ones Artemis. Great books & really clean in my opinion.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments I also suggest Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie ... It's dystopain, no explicit sex scene (no sex scenes at all actually), no witches or demons... I don't even remember a cuss word in it honestly... Also, Trickster's Girl by Hilari Bell is also like that. And you may like it. :)

message 19: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Catherine wrote: " Artemis wrote: "oooooooo i forgot one The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong and The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) by Kelley Armstrong the series is great there is a love interest but its..."

i love these books they are sooo sweet!!

message 20: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments The Darkest Powers trilogy looks good. I like kissing in books, I just don't like the explicit sex, lol!
Cathrine, I seem to "to read" almost all of the books you choose. I even added a "library" shelf to my book saves because I saw you had one! I enjoyed Matched and just added Trickster's Girl.

I am reading and LOVING Vampire Academy!

message 21: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

VA is awesome!! so is Darkest Powers the guy in it is super hot!! and the kissing is sweet :) not all crazy lol

message 22: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments LOL, you are funny Artemis!

message 23: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

lol :)