Start by marking “The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)

The Summoning

(Darkest Powers #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  151,924 ratings  ·  6,220 reviews
Chloe Saunders used to have a relatively normal life.

But now she finds herself in the middle of some really strange situations because:
~She suddenly starts seeing dead people.
~She gets locked up in a group home for unstable teens.
~The group home isn't what it seems.

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet bo
Hardcover, First Edition, 390 pages
Published July 1st 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Summoning, please sign up.
Glen No. The worst it gets is, "he swore under his breath" (or similar) without actually using the language in question, and that only happens maybe 4 time…moreNo. The worst it gets is, "he swore under his breath" (or similar) without actually using the language in question, and that only happens maybe 4 times. A really unlikable character uses the b-word once or twice in the second book. The strongest thematic element is that of a thriller, but the violence is mild and all at a level appropriate for teens, young adults, and maybe even some pre-teens.(less)
Sydney It somewhat contains a love story. But it is not the main focus of the story. It has a ton of twists and turns and I really recommend reading it.

·  151,924 ratings  ·  6,220 reviews

Start your review of The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
Kat Kennedy
May 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who hate puppies and rainbows and sunshine
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: not Tatiana, that's for damn sure!
I sat down at my computer this morning and tried to think of something interesting to say about my reading experience of The Summoning. It seems though, that all of my creative faculties have been sucked away since I spent eighty percent of this book imagining what the story COULD have been.

The story is like the little engine that could. It has the potential, it's chugging away, it's working hard. Only as it turns out it's The Little Engine That Could Have Been Something interesting.

The first pa
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own

I thought this book was pretty good. I thought the blurb sounded good when it mentioned Chloe seeing ghosts! I mean the first ghost she saw as a child would have freaked me clean out!!

Later on Chloe is 15 and in high school. She has a breakdown at school, or so they think, really she just saw a ghost that keeps melting his skin and looking all creepy! But this book is not what it seems at all!

Poor Chloe finally gets sent to the Lyle House for "special kids". She has no idea.

No one would say w
Heather
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
This book was nearly impossible to put down and I have no doubt that the menacing allure of the setting and plot hindered my ability to do so.

There were several compelling plot points going on in this chilling tome, but somehow they not only found a way to co-exist, they actually enhanced one another. The idea of necromancers alone was an eerily intriguing concept but to then confound it with a mental institution setting was sheer sinister brilliance. As if it weren’t creepy enough for the hero
Vilde
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me clench my jaw so much it's still hurting several hours later. Although the story is not a standalone, it really left me with a bone chilling feeling and I truly can't wait for the next book in the series.

Chloe's a young girl struggling with her new found power, Lyle House and her housemates, the setting itself is filled with teenage hormones and jealousy. It's filled with mysteries and no one seems to be what they appear,this is especially true for her housemates. We jo
J.L.   Sutton
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
“I let out a laugh that sounded more like the yip of a startled poodle. "Super-powers? I wish. My powers aren't winning me a slot on the Cartoon Network anytime soon... except as a comic relief. Ghost Whisperer Junior. Or Ghost Screamer, more like it. Tune in, every week, as Chloe Saunders runs screaming from yet another ghost looking for her help."

I'd read Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers Series about 5 years ago and wanted to go back and see if it still resonated. The Summoning is the first b
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Summoning (Darkest Powers #1), Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning is a novel by Kelley Armstrong, and is the first book in the Darkest Powers series. It was released on July 1, 2008. Chloe Saunders believes things are finally starting to go right in her life – a boy asks her about the dance, Chloe gets on the directors list for a short, she finally gets her period at age 15, dyes her hair red so she could actually look her age, and commits her first crime. Little did she know, her entire world wa
Kristi
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think I’m one of the last people to read this! I’ve heard nothing but how good this novel is, and that I must read it ASAP. When I received a copy of The Awakening, the next novel, I knew that I needed to read The Summoning, right away. (I’m almost glad I waited to read it, so I could start The Awakening right away! What an ending!)

This book is everything I was hoping for and more! I’ve never read Armstrong before, I really want to read her adult fantasy series, but I just haven’t had a chance
Amelia
I need to get my hands on the sequel!!

The ending has left me wanting more!
Tatiana
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of YA paranormal fantasy who like cliffhangers
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: 2009, urban-fantasy, ya
As seen on The Readventurer

"The Summoning" is the first YA novel written by Kelley Armstrong. It tells a story of Chloe, a 15-year old girl who suddenly finds herself capable of seeing ghosts. Only, of course, nobody believes her and she is quickly sent to a boarding house for disturbed kids for psychological evaluation. It turns out however, that the house and its inhabitants are not quite what they seem to be.

While this book was definitely a page turner, I was a little disappointed in it. I fe
DarienMoya
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
^^SURPRISINGLY GOOD!^^

So I bought this book last year at a summer book fair, I was not expecting to like it cus me and Kelley weren’t friends after reading Bitten, which I felt was mediocre at best but this book came as a surprise. First I was all like typical teenage stuff, girl complaining about life, afraid to ask boy to the dance typical stuff. Until this girl starts to see things that no one else can and then it became all kinds of interesting.

Chloe Saunders is having some weird dreams abo
Francesca ❆
Jun 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Nope. No. Absolutely terrible.

Awful nail-scraping-on-a-chalkboard smoothness in the writing, characters more flat than a sheet of paper, plot designed by a teenager in the middle of a hormonal crisis.
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers, adults
This book turned me into a shameless fiend for the Chloe and Derek relationship - I adored their banter, and their romantic date in the basement with the dead bodies, and their other romantic encounter in the shower. (Note: my views on what is romantic may be deeply weird.)

On the first read, I found the book a little hard to get into, but on subesequent re-reads that hasn't been a problem at all. Realistic characters, interesting powers, cliffhanger ending... I'd do a lot to get the next book!
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Why do I keep doing this to myself?*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
BEWARE FOR SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES! This whole review can - probably - contain spoilers for the entire series. This review is mostly for me to remember the details.

Re-read: 03.05.2018 . Why I decided to re-read this one, I have no idea. I don't even remember it, nor do I remember liking it all that much... Hell, I don't even like YA anymore. Anywho, here we are and I'm yet again reading about Chloe Saunders (15) who can see ghost. She gets
Arlene
The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong is a story about Chloe Saunders who is a fifteen year old necromancer just beginning to realize her powers. She is not quite aware of its possibilities and at the onset of her revelation; she suffers a meltdown in school and is placed in a house supposedly for mentally ill teens. When she arrives at Lyle House, Chloe discovers that her fellow patients also have unusual powers and all is not what it seems to be.

The story started off well enough, but really didn't
Tani
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RATINGS: 4 STARS

Whoa! That was one heck of a wonderful book. I liked the book cover and was pretty much surprised to find out that the story was great. At first I felt the story was slow paced but as the first half of the book finished, the story was taking zigzag turns and left out with a cliffhanger that made me check the book again and again and yet I wasn't convinced that I finished reading this book. It kept me on my toes till the end and even though I've finished reading this book, I'm an
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Secret Santa 2010 Pick by JessicaB
3.5 - 4 Stars

This was a We Love Lisa Kleypas Group “Secret” Santa pick from JessicaB. Thanks, Jessica!

This is going to be a fairly short, and a bit uncertain, review. Yes, I can do short ones without hottie photos! ^_^

This is my first Kelley Armstrong book.

Chloe Saunders is a late bloomer and puberty doesn’t fully hit her until her 15th birthday, when weird things start happening to her. She's seeing people that nobody else can. When she suffers a breakdown in school, her guardian, Aunt Laure
Daiane
Actual Rating: 3.5

Why is it that every time a girl says a guy is bothering her, it’s fluffed off with oh, he just likes you, as if that makes it okay?

I have to confess that I almost dnfed this book. The main word here being -Almost-.
At first it was too juvenile for me. And the plot wasn't doing it for me. Like, come on... Rich girl who is the perfect daughter but the father doesn't care that much about her and her mother is dead. Then she has her period decides to skip class and dye her hair
Elizabeth
There was a lot of unnecessary discussion in this book. Like the characters just talked the shit out of some things.

"Are you-?"
"Fine."
"Are you sure you're okay?"
"Good enough."
"Maybe you should take a cold bath."
"Nah I'm okay."
"If you need anything..."
"Just rest, I'm fine."
"You should really-"
"I'm fine."
"You're not fine."
"I'll take care of it."

This ridiculous conversation took up two pages and there were plenty more where that came from. It was like OKAY WE GET IT YOU'RE FINE, CHLOE TAKE A HINT H
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
"We'd run down the stairs together every morning all through kindergarten and half of first grade and then... well, then there wasn't anyone to run down the stairs with anymore."

This first book always kills me a little bit inside. Especially this quote up there. :'(

"Cleavage is great," she said. "Like an extra pocket."

Preach it Rae. Preach it.

"It's called being considerate. Maybe you've heard of it?"
He batted my hand from the dials. "Darks, cold. Or you'll end up with the dye bleeding." A gla
Monisha
This book was ^^SURPRISINGLY GOOD!^^ .

At first I thought it was kinda weird but that made me read it more to find out what was going on.

This book has everything a book needs.

Interesting, mind you, very interesting, characters, mystery, crazy people, and a writing style that says, "If you put me down, so help me you will regret it. Keep reading, you know you want too."

Did you hear that?
It sang the last part!
Sad part is, you keep reading for fear of waiting until the next time you might pick it
Alaina
The Summoning was a pretty good starter for the Darkest Powers series. I've wanted to read this book/series for a while and didn't make it official until a challenge I was participating in required me to read book by Canadian authors. Weird and highly specific but I honestly loved every book. Okay, not all of them I loved - but most of them I did!

This book starts off with a dream, Chloe's dream. Okay, more like a childhood memory. Well, turns out our girl can see ghosts. No, not like that movie
Tez
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Marta :}
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cover-lust, otp, ya, fantasy
Oh, God! Have mercy, this book is so amazing. I can't even form words properly. It is my second time when I try to read it, I first tried some years ago and I read just the first chapters and I considered them quite boring. But now, I went further and I'm so greatful that I did so. At first, it seems like your typical girl-sees-ghost story, where the girl ends-up in some house for people with problems. Chloe is a character which I could totally relate to. She was passionate about movies and she ...more
Taylor of Elfhame ❦
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I added these books to my tbr forever ago, assuming I would likely never read them. But then I was in the library and the complete series was on the shelf right in front of me so I figured why not? Low expectations, lots of potential. And wow was I pleasantly surprised. I blew through this, didn't want to put it down. It was really entertaining and the characters were so very genuine. Believable. And I enjoyed being in the protagonists' head.
Definitely looking forward to reading the re
Mary-ellen
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an okay paranormal read.

It did take a while to get going, and the characters felt a little distant, but I did keep turning the pages.

Fifteen-year-old Chloe Saunders sees a ghost at school and freaks out. She is told she has a mental illness and is put into a group home with other kids her age, but Lyle House isn’t what it seems . . .

This book doesn’t work well as a stand alone read. The ending is really the inciting incident for the next book in the series. It’s not a satisfying ending
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This book had an interesting premise and fairly good plot, but I never really connected to any of the other characters and there was a large section in the book where nothing was happening. It starts off really well with the introductions, context and setting, but after that the book fell a bit flat for me. Just when the action started back up, the book ended on a cliff-hanger. And whilst I understand it was setting up for the next book, and explanations were needed to get to that stage, I wish ...more
Jenn
I was a little nervous picking this book up again. I remember absolutely loving this series when I read it years ago and I didn't want that to change, but I also really wanted to revisit this world. I am happy to report that this book was just as much fun as the first and second time around.

When Chloe starts seeing dead people, she's quickly removed from school and placed in Lyle House - a place for trouble youth. But Chloe quickly learns that Lyle House isn't quite what it seems and the other
Darce
May contain SPOILERS.

The Summoning is a brilliant book about a girl (Chloe) who, when she sees someone who's not really there, goes to a home for troubled children. When she's there, she meets other teenagers who are also there for things that they've done.

This series is a brilliant series and one full of romance, paranormal subjects, betrayal, lies and trust. Another brilliant Kelley Armstrong series that will be re-read, and re-read, and re-read, and then finally memorised (except not by me b
Faith M ✨
Aug 27, 2018 marked it as maybe-some-day
This blurb like:

"My name is Rebecca Butterfly and I'm the most normal, most beautiful girl at ghost school. I'm not like other girls. The only the boy I like is the only boy I can't have."

I hate first person blurbs lol but this book sounds so awful I feel like I might actually love it.

• Evermore (The Immortals, #1)
  • Marked (House of Night, #1)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • Fallen (Fallen, #1)
  • Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)
  • Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
  • Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
  • Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)
  • Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)
  • Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
  • Need (Need, #1)
  • Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1; Nightshade World, #4)
  • Obsidian (Lux, #1)
  • Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)

News & Interviews

“He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water.”
761 likes
“Simon: Anyone ever tell you your sense of timing really sucks?
Derek: That's why I don't play the drums. Now what's up?”
556 likes