Start by marking “Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)

Trickster's Girl

(Raven Duet #1)

In the year 2098 America isn't so different from the USA of today. But, in a post-9/11 security-obssessed world, "secured" doesn't just refer to borders between countries, it also refer to borders between states. Teenagers still think they know everything, but there is no cure for cancer, as Kelsa knows first-hand from watching her father die.

The night Kelsa buries her fat
Published January 3rd 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Trickster's Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trickster's Girl

Start your review of Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)
~Tina~
Trickster's Girl sounded like a promising story and I was excited to read this one, but for some reason I had a really hard time getting in to it.
While the wiring is good, the pacing is off and the characters felt flat and uninteresting. I did like some of the banter and liked the magic and shape-shifting bits, but it wasn't enough to fully enjoy this nor even finish it.
Sadly, this one isn't for me.
Isamlq
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-galley
Is this supposed to be YA dystopian?

It starts out with Kelsa doing the brave thing with her burying her father the way he would have wanted it and not according to what he called "the great irrational." But, it goes downhill from there because she starts getting really reactive with all those "I'm telling the teachers and/or police!" and all because she thought boy/raven was stalking her, (OK, so may be she was justified in her behavior… still she could have been more proactive.)

Well that’s how
Vee
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wordpress Blog | Twitter | Pinterest

📗 Although this is classed as a Sci-Fi novel I felt it was closer to Fantasy, as I recognised many Fantasy elements in the story and it reads like a Fantasy novel, despite being set in the future.

📕 I really enjoyed this story, especially the suspenseful moments but I was disappointed with the ending. I felt it was rather rushed and not the ending I was hoping for, I loved Kelsa and Raven, so I was hoping to see a relationship blossom.
TinaB
Aug 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Uh-oh....could it be yet another book about global warming? Another book about evil Americans? Why yes kids, another you're a POS American book!! Whew-hew!!

Kelsa's journey begins shortly after the burial of her father, who with Kelsa shared a love of the outdoors and wilderness. As a scientist he was always teaching Kelsa about the earth and the healing of the trees due to everything being crusty and dead after a terrorist attack on the rain forests.

While the country tries to heal itself a norm
Precious
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
See full review here.

This is really 3.5 stars!

Kelsa was dealing with her father’s demise and the wall between her and her mother. She was a little angry, a little annoyed and a whole lot bothered with a gorgeous stalker who witnessed her bury her father’s ashes. She was a smart girl so I was startled when she handled and approached her ‘stalker’ on her own. But I also get her point, after her father’s death, her mother has been going through a lot. She did not want to add to that. At age 15, she
Joy (joyous reads)
Dec 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was hard to get into. I've attempted to read this a while back and stalled. I decided to give it another go because I got an ARC of the second book.

The combination of excessive narrative did me in. I was interested in the concept - environmental crisis told through a story of magic in a futuristic setting but I am more convinced that it's the primary problem of this novel. It seem like it couldn't make up its mind. It just didn't work. The legends, magic, mixed in with PIDs and compod
Mizuki
I like this book, I want to give it four stars, but eventually decided 3.5 stars would be more suitable.

I'm glad to see authors trying something new instead of writing about vampires, witches, werewolves and freaking evil LOVE TRIANGLES over, and over, and over, and over.

This time Hilari Bell really did come up with refreshing ideas. Her uses of mythology and mythical figures are respectful. And for goodness' sake the main girl didn't fall hand over heel in love with the boy because he's so fr
Jamie
Jul 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
I was really looking forward to this book. Based on the synopsis it sounded right up my alley. Based on reviews on other sites, it sounded great. I was WRONG. This book was such a disappointment I actually considered not reviewing it at all. The beginning was terribly slow and dull, but I stuck with it - hoping it would get better. Once action finally occurred, it made little sense and seemed to go against the basic rules of the author's world building. Then it got boring again. That was when I ...more
Shari
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Trickster's Girl isn't just a story, it sends a message as well. Granted it's a message we've been receiving from all over lately: we are killing our Earth. In this story human's have once again created something that is killing the Earth. A mysterious boy named Raven comes to Kelsa and claims he wants to help her save the trees. Raven does want to help her but he definitely has his own agenda as well. While this book has some action scenes that were a bit tense and exciting I'm afraid that the ...more
Jessica B
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it
From shutupimreading.blogspot.com

Sadly, I felt kind of indifferent about Trickster's Girl.

It started out pretty strongly, and I liked the environmental message a lot. Sadly, though, I became bored a little more than halfway through and from there I just didn't really care that much anymore

But I didn't really not like it, either. As I said, I felt almost indifferent towards it. The characters were decent. That's it. Decent. I was intrigued by Raven, Kelsa's magical mentor, and I would've liked to
andrea
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. The story itself was good - a combination of environmental collapse and magic, in an entertaining and tough-girl way. However. It took a while to get into the book and actually care what was happening, and at the end I was rewarded for however much caring I did eventually build up for the main character by a pat ending and the promise of a sequel but not involving this character at all. Or at least that's how I read the last few pages.

It takes a while,
Deborah Andreasen
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nearly a century after 9/11, the world has become security obsessed. A chemical weapon was released in South America and destroyed the Amazon. Now it’s creeping north. The earth is dying, and Kelsa can feel it.

But earth is not the only thing slipping away. Kelsa watches cancer slowly and painfully kill her father, and she’s helpless to do anything to stop it. The night she secretly buries her father’s ashes, a boy appears and starts talking about magic.

Sure that he’s crazy, Kelsa eludes him fo
Tara
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I was expecting more of a dystopian when I read this novel, It seemed to have been marketed more in that genre than in paranormal. This book dealt in a different type of paranormal...Native American Mythologoy. I have never read a book dealing with that subject matter before, so hearing something completely new, .not the same old...ghosts.... or seeing the dead... or something along those lines was very refreshing. The author showed a lot of creativity with her original plot and characters.

I rea
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Trickster's Girl was unlike anything I've ever read before. The story is set in the United States, in the future. The futuristic setting with the accompanying electronics reminded me of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series. I enjoy reading stories set in the future. The story is heavy on dialogue, which I'm not a fan of. There is; however, a lot of descriptive narration about nature: Kelsa and Raven are traveling across the northern US to heal the ley lines and reverse the damage a tree plague has c ...more
Parajunkee
Oct 23, 2010 rated it did not like it

Featured on Parajunkee.com

Trying to jump "Out The Box" in YA might not have worked well in Trickster's Girl's favor. While I did read, Trickster's Girl to the end, I seriously contemplated just hitting delete on numerous occasions. I think reading this on vacation gave me more patience than I normally have - especially for netgally.com books. The book did stimulate a sense of suspense and climatic "chase" situations but overall it fell flat and irksome.

Read More...

Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
The reviews for Trickster’s Girl by Hilari Bell are all over the place. Personally, I enjoyed it. I thought Bell had a unique take on a Dystopian world that could very well become our future. She blended our fears about terrorists and new security guidelines with the fact that humans are slowly killing our planet. Throw in the awesome mythological Trickster and hints of Native American folklore and Trickster’s Girl becomes something utterly unique.

The novel takes place about a hundred years afte
Ria Bridges
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
If there’s any problem to be found in throwing the reader into a world that’s very similar and yet slightly different to this one, it’s that sometimes the authors writes as though the reader is going to know all those subtle differences and won’t be lost when making references to customs or technology that doesn’t exist here. That was my thought when I first started reading Trickster’s Girl, and though that sentiment was a mild one, it was still present in the back of my mind.

Then we get to meet
Jjohn_galt
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thoroughly meh. There's nothing really wrong with Trickster's Girl - the plot hits most of its beats, although the pacing is slow. But I found two main flaws with the novel:

1) Kelsa, the protagonist, isn't a compelling character. She's a grief-stricken, angsty teenage girl who is willing to put herself into increasing absurd and dangerous situations, mainly because she's mad at her mother over her father's death. She isn't engaging for the reader. We're rooting for her simply because she's the P
Jana Al Ali
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Trickster's Girl" is a dystopian story about the future, in the year 2098 America isn't so different from the USA of today. Kelsa is a teenage girl who is dealing with the crushing loss of her father. Even though the setting is in the high-tech future with com pods, hovercraft-like vehicles and temperature-controlled clothing, theree was still no cure for cancer, but that's not what Kelas thought. Kelsa's father taught her to enjoy and respect the outdoors while enjoying its challenges and beau ...more
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
In the later part of the 21st century, it seems humanity has finally taken an active interest in preserving the planet. But with a strange tree plague ravaging South America, their efforts may be too little too late. Scientists are at a loss in explaining why their efforts aren't yielding any results—logically, the forests should have fought it off by now.

Fortunately, there are people who know how to stop it.
Unfortunately, most of them aren't on humanity's side.

The night 15-year-old Kelsa Philli
Cori Thomas
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
So many exclamations! Kelsa's a 15 yr old girl, and an exclamation point is a great way of exaggerating a sentence. Thankfully, there is only one and not more at the end. It can be annoying.
This is a good book for teens/kids that are too advanced for the kids department but too young for YA/Teen. Has some danger bit not overly so, mostly complaining about Raven and his views on humans.
It also has good talking points about grief and how it can affect your relationships and life.
Rachel
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read; maybe not "buy this now" but I may reread it in the future. Definitely reading the sequel. ...more
Emily
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good read but it was very highschool girl drama.
Channah
DNF pretty early on. I normally love Hilari Bell but I just couldn't get into it. ...more
Rena McGee
Jul 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, nope
Stephany
When I first began reading, I was immediately drawn in by the writing-style. Straight forward, then throwing in a phrase of sarcasm that either adds to the mood or contradicts the mood--contradicting the mood being slightly cooler than adding to the mood. The beginning describes the funeral of Kelsa's father, and the strain on the relationship between Kelsa and her mother is introduced. I felt the feelings of Kelsa were very real, especially her feelings toward her mom. The future world that Kel ...more
Karina
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Cornerofmadness
Madigan Mirza
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Set nearly a hundred years in the future, Kelsa Phillips is devastated at the passing of her beloved father. Kelsa's mother seemed pretty cold about the whole thing, she must have either come to terms with his imminent death of her husband much earlier than Kelsa had, or maybe had been planning to divorce him, but didn't once his cancer was diagnosed. Kelsa resents the way her mother shunted her father off to a hospice as soon as she could. Shortly after the "official" sanctioned funeral, Kelsa ...more
Alyssa Nelson
I am loving all these mythological-based books now coming out and this one is no different. I love how Bell ties together all the different mythologies to incorporate it into the story she's made. It really works. The novel did have a few problems for me that I will go into later, but first let's talk about the good stuff.

Awesome thing #1: Subtlety. This is a futuristic world, but Bell doesn't make it so futuristic that I can't recognize it. Everything is similar but slightly off, which is exact
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Ghosts of Sherwood (The Robin Hood Stories, #1)
  • The Heirs of Locksley (The Robin Hood Stories, #2)
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1)
  • Slay
  • The Lost Book of the White (The Eldest Curses, #2)
  • Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)
  • Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
  • Storm and Fury (The Harbinger, #1)
  • Book Love
  • The Doublecross: And Other Skills I Learned as a Superspy
  • Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty
  • Like Mandarin
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • The Frozen Menace (Dragonbreath, #11)
  • Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1)
As far as writing is concerned, I call myself the poster child for persistence. Songs of Power, the first novel I sold, was the 5th novel I'd written. When it sold I was working on novel #13. The next to sell, Navohar, was #12, and the next, A Matter of Profit, was #9. The Goblin Wood was #6, and the first Sorahb book, Flame (later renamed Farsala: Fall of a Kingdom), will be #15. You get the pict ...more

Raven Duet (2 books)
  • Traitor's Son (Raven Duet, #2)