Romance Audiobooks discussion

Favorite Authors in Audio > J.D. Robb / Nora Roberts

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vic (last edited Apr 19, 2011 05:06AM) (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments OK, I resisted the In Death series (for some unknown reason) by J.D. Robb until my cousin finally showed up on my doorstep one weekend with the entire series on audio CD/MP3 CD and told me I WAS going to be listening to it. This was when the series was in the high 20's. Needless to say that I listened to nothing but this series for over a month!

There's a great website for the In Death series at indeath.net and there are fans of Susan Ericksen's reading and people who can't stand her reading because of Roarke's voice. I adore it! :)

My cautionary tale of this series on audio though... Apparently the audio versions of this series started at Seduction in Death (I think) - book 13 in series. And then they went back and did the earlier books in the series. So her voices in books 13 and 14 aren't quite as distinctive. In fact the voice for Eve and Peabody are so close in Seduction ID that it was very jarring for me after listening to the books back to back. I usually re-read those two books rather than listen to them when I go through the series again.

I also really enjoy most of the audiobooks available by Nora Roberts. I enjoy her more recent books over some of the oldest ones.

message 2: by Brenda (last edited Feb 05, 2011 06:03PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Count me in as another In Death fan! The first three books were out when I started reading the series and I've been hooked ever since.

The audiobooks were just icing on the cake after that. I'm in the Susan Erickson fan group, she is awesome. Ditto Roarke's voice yum!.

I've never done a back to back listen so missed the jarring with 15 and 16, thankfully.

No matter the crime or harsh details, there is at least one scene where I laugh to the point of tears in each book. :)

Born in Death is one that is absolutely priceless when it comes to laughs. With the baby shower - child birth classes - birth/hospital scenes. You have to "know" Eve and Roarke to really get it, and if you do, you'll laugh yourself silly. Or is it just me?

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) I'll also throw in my vote for In Death!! This is the series that has hooked me on audiobooks. Susan's narrations is incredible. I recently discovered she read 3 other Nora Roberts boos (Key Trilogy) and am planning to check them out. I'll let you know how it goes.

But back to Eve and Roarke...

Seriously, anyone who has not listened to these books should do so NOW. The writing, plots, character development is outstanding and at times incredibly funny and at other times so emotionally deep that I am in tears. I love all of the voices, particularly Roarke (swoon-faint), and Peabody (particularly when she's snarky or sarcastic).

Even though I knew they'd be different going in, I was quite caught off guard by the change in voices in Seduction in Death (#13 according to GR number system) and Reunion in Death (#14). I'm on Purity in Death (#15) now and it is definitely better, but Peabody is still off. Never the less, LISTEN TO THESE BOOKS!!!

message 4: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Make sure to come back and let the group know when you think the voices are pretty much back to "normal". I couldn't remember how many books it took her to perfect the voices. And I agree that Peabody's snarky voice is very fun.

I really almost couldn't follow the story in Seduction on audio because I kept thinking it was Eve talking whether it was Eve OR Peabody!

message 5: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Oh - forgot to note that there are triggering events in this series that could be hard for some people to read.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Tracy wrote: "...I recently discovered she read 3 other Nora Roberts boos (Key Trilogy) and am planning to check them out. I'll let you know how it goes."

She also read High Noon by Nora. The books itself feels like a present day Eve Dallas book in a way and if you listen to this right after an in death book you may have trouble wrapping your head around who is talking but I enjoyed the book and the listening experience very much.

message 7: by comfort (new)

comfort | 42 comments So funny, I just recommended this series to my hairdresser yesterday. I haven't gotten to the "off" voices stories yest- bummer.

Just finished #12 I think where 1/2 book written by Nora Roberts and 2nd part by JD Robb.

FantasticFiction have a pretty good comprehensive list of her books. I'll go get link

message 8: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments If you want comprehensive here's the In Death Wiki http://www.indeath.net/wikiindeath/in....

message 9: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments @ Vic. Yeah - I remember thinking Liz Alberta sounded a lot like Roarke, which REALLY threw me! :)

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue Hi, I'm new to this web site and gladly found it by accident. I've been listening to the "Death" series and just go to book 15, Seduction in Death, and had to google my upset to see if anyone else was as distressed as I was at the reading of that book (and apparently the one after)

The characters voices run together and I have trouble deciphering each character. Not sure what I read above...are the books 1-14 re-recorded with the new accents and that means that the rest will follow? I was going to skip to 18 in hopes that it had the good dialect back but read something about (spoiler) family-Roark, so now I HAVE to go listen to the confusing ones. sigh Not sure if anyone is going to read this since the post was months ago...but it sure was nice to unload and see that others felt as I do.

message 11: by ~KarenH~ (new)

~KarenH~ | 36 comments Sue, I found that Seduction in Death was by far the worst, and Reunion in Death wasn't much better, but a little. By the book after that, Purity in Death, the voices weren't perfected yet, but were much better and easily identifiable. From that point on they are back to being the same wonderful voices of the first books in the series. If you can struggle through Seduction, you should be ok, even though Reunion isn't great either.

message 12: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Sue - glad to have you in the group! Yes, I felt a bit traumatized as well when doing a marathon listen of this series. I usually read Seduction and Reunion or skip on re-listen now. Seduction and Reunion were first 2 books Susan recorded in this series and so hadn't really perfected her voices.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue Hi, thanks for the comments. :o) I made it through and am now on the Eve Dallas part of Remember When. I dread when this series ends. I read another book in between every few "Death" books to help it last longer. Seriously....I want have Eve as a friend. (maybe they will lend me some money) Oh yeah, I'll be dead by 2059!! Oh well ;o)

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandybruce) I love the audiobooks of the In Death Series I am listening to them again in order when I got to seduction I was not sure about the voices so I googled and found this site glad to know other people love JD Robb also.

message 15: by Dee (last edited May 01, 2011 06:04PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments this was one of those series of books that for the longest time i couldn't get into...i think i started the book about 4 times and never finished it, then i picked up book 1 at audibles 4.95 first in series sale, and i was hooked...but i've stuck to doing only the audiobooks and i rarely do a back to back listen...in fact, in general its weird for me to do a series back to back read, unless its for a challenge, which explains why i'm doing 4 books in the psy-changling series back to back

she's also done a few classics...i think maybe Wuthering heights...or something like that...it might have been Jane Eyre

message 16: by Brenda (last edited May 01, 2011 08:16PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I want to have Eve as a friend. (maybe they will lend me some money) Oh yeah, I'll be dead by 2059!! Oh well ;o)

Ok, that's funny Sue, and I so agree! The latest,Treachery in Death, really rocked, I want on Eve's team too.

Big Susan Erickson fan here, if for nothing else than this series. She may have had to find her feet plunging into the middle, but when she did, she did it well.

I have appreciated several other books by her too.

Hey Sandy, glad you found us with your Googling.

message 17: by comfort (new)

comfort | 42 comments have to agree with you guys the audios are so easy to listen to, I can do several back to back until I get called by another character in another book. Susan Erickson is just perfect for this series (most of the time).

message 18: by Susinok (new)

Susinok I am listening to The Search and I just got done placing holds on four more of her audio books at the library. Chasing Fire, Black Hills, the first Donnavan book, and Sea Swept. I have read the Chesepeke books before, but it's been a long time.

She IS very easy to listen to. I've got the entire JD Robb In Death series on audiobook, too.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I really liked Black Hills Susin - it was the first of hers that I had listened to that was non-jd robb. I also liked her In the Garden series (blue dahlia; black rose; red lily)

message 20: by Susinok (new)

Susinok Dee wrote: "I really liked Black Hills Susin - it was the first of hers that I had listened to that was non-jd robb. I also liked her In the Garden series (blue dahlia; black rose; red lily)"

Oh cool, they have all three of those. I'll report on them when I listen.

message 21: by comfort (new)

comfort | 42 comments you guys should try the Garden series, a little bit pnr and very romantic

message 22: by Taryn (new)

Taryn Elliott (tarynelliott) | 2 comments The Next Always, first in the Innsboro series, is FREE on Audible today!
http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B009IW...
That's pretty cool right?

message 23: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments The re-recorded versions of In Death are now showing up on audible.com (US). Currently, Seduction ID, Reunion ID and Purity ID have been re-released with the voices we've come to know and love. They're currently priced under $10. Finally I can re-listen to all the books without having to switch to ebook!

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Vic wrote: "The re-recorded versions of In Death are now showing up on audible.com (US). Currently, Seduction ID, Reunion ID and Purity ID have been re-released with the voices we've come to know and love. T..."

I've been so curious about this Vic - wondering when they would show up and how we would know they were the re-recorded versions. I'll go check it out!

message 25: by Samyann (new)

Samyann | 20 comments Huge fan, with lots of 'In Death' stories (30+) in audio. There are some with the plots being very short, 3-4 hours. I don't have those, because I like more 'bang for the buck' with my credits ... these are so short. Anybody have those? Are they worth a credit?

message 26: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Brenda - make sure that the audio copyright date is 2013 for those.

Samyann - Have you read any of the novellas at all? The novellas are short (running around 3 -5 hours). Some are better than others. My favorites: Midnight In Death and Interlude In Death. Towards the more recent novellas, there's a little more closure on the previous full length novel which was nice. Worth a credit? IMO, depends on how much your spending per credit. I'd personally pay the $$ for them instead of using a credit but could live without all of them but the 2 I mentioned. YMMV, of course. :)

message 27: by Samyann (new)

Samyann | 20 comments Thanks Vic. I probably will just pay for them instead of using a credit. I'd love to create a character like Dallas in my writing, and surround that character with the supporting group Nora Roberts has done. Just a terrific design of a series. Each story can stand on it's own...but I started with Naked and went through each one. What a great cast of characters, like old friends. Love Peapody and of course, who wouldn't like Roarke. Wish I had Roarke's house :-).

message 28: by Sue (last edited Jun 15, 2013 03:56AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Love the whole In Death series, I'm up to book 10... I devoured the first 8 then slowed down. I had burn out. I actually started reading them so in my head I had a different voice for Rourke, I'm adjusting but initially I was very put off by the voice. Most Nora Roberts I have read not listened to, she was my go to author for decades, I only discovered the In Death series after serious urging from friends. Adore it. Not quite a J.D. Robb, but an author with a decent series where I see strokes of Eve (just not as intense or the character not as broken - lets face it Eve's trash pulls us in) is Marie Force's Fatal Series. Very much enjoyed the series, from what I understand other MF works have not stood up against her Fatal Series. So give it a try if you dare.

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments I noticed on Amazon that they are selling MP3 collections of the In Death series. The release date is April 14th, and each set includes 5 unabridged books for $13.49 each. Here's a link that has each of them that I saw. They are kind of hard to find just searching on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_38?...

message 30: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Angie wrote: "I noticed on Amazon that they are selling MP3 collections of the In Death series. The release date is April 14th, and each set includes 5 unabridged books for $13.49 each. Here's a link that has ..."

These are wonderfully convenient- it is nice to have each book on one CD.