Start by marking “Treachery in Death (In Death, #32)” as Want to Read:
Treachery in Death (In Death, #32)

Treachery in Death (In Death #32)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  21,396 Ratings  ·  1,161 Reviews
Eve Dallas and her partner, Peabody, are following up on a brutal, senseless crime — an elderly grocery owner killed by three stoned punks for nothing more than kicks and snacks. And for the first time, Peabody is primary detective on the case, which means she has to get used to a new level of authority and responsibility. Good thing she learned the ropes from a master lik ...more
Published February 22nd 2011 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Treachery in Death, please sign up.
Donna I didn't start at the beginning, but after I read a few, I quickly went back and started over from the beginning. This is my all time favorite series…moreI didn't start at the beginning, but after I read a few, I quickly went back and started over from the beginning. This is my all time favorite series and I have shared the books with a number of people who also loved them. I'm rereading this particular novel right now because after watching the series Seven Seconds, I want to believe there are good dedicated cops who will take down those who cross 'the blue line' and misuse their position. The sad thing is that almost every time we finish with an episode of 'Seven Seconds' there is another news story about cops shooting or beating another unarmed person.(less)

Dina
Having read and pretty much loved all the books in the In Death series, I'm no longer able to be rational and unbiased when it comes to them. At this point, I think of them as one very, very, very long book that's released in installments and, as a whole, the book is fan-tas-tic.

I want to be Eve, marry Roarke, spar with Summerset, work with Peabody, be friends with Mavis, brainstorm with Feeney, be overwhelmed by McNab's wardrobe and, just for fun, kick some serious ass!
Jilly
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
One of my favorites in this series. It was exciting - nail-biting even at times - and the bad guy was really bad. I loved it! Also, I loved one of Eve's detectives - Jacobson. He delivers an amazing command of the English language. He plays it like a violin:

Alex ♈
Suspense 5 stars / Romance 4.9 stars

Brilliant! Excellent!
One of the strongest books in this series!
I missed my Eve!!!

Very hard and raw subject – a corruptive cop, a rat.
A female Lieutenant, a daughter of honorable former Chef of police, but a dirty cop herself.

A woman against woman...
a loyalty against corruption...
an incredible strong woman against female villain.

Brilliantly written!
I always knew that Eve had steel balls, but, damn, if she didn’t ‘outshine’ herself!

A decent reader would
Mo
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was always going to be a 4 star but that ending .... OMG. I cried. Took me a while to finish this one due to family duties! But it was worth it. I now have a dilemma ... do I read the next in the series, which I have been dying to get to ... or do I read the new Sandra Brown release! Decisions! Decisions!

I am seriously in love with EVE.
As they filed out, Feeney walked to her.
He laid a hand on her shoulder.
"Not bad." he said. "Not bad at all."

Roarke is sexy as fuck.

All the secondary charact
♥Sharon♥
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Another winner and favorite for me! ❤ It was a bit different from the others in that the murders that took place centered on crooked cops. Eve, Peabody and her team would leave no stone unturned as they worked to bring these cops down.

While the entire story was FABULOUS, the last two chapters were crazy!!! IMHO I don’t often shed tears while reading these books. There are scenes with Roarke and Eve that draw them out but with a minute or two left to the book there was a moment between Eve, her
Ann Lou
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My name is Ann Lou *waves* and I am an In Death series addict. Will I wish to be cured from this addiction? A big fat NO.

Anyways, there is a murder at the first chapter with Peabody as the primary but as what she said "it was a slam dunk". The case was closed within a day. What made this an interesting installment is when Peabody got trapped in the shower hearing a convo about a couple of corrupt cops. So, basically this installment is just that. Good cops vs Bad cops. Very exciting, indeed.

My
Mei
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary

”Peabody may find more, something specific, the hair on the camel’s back----“ (Eve)
“Straw.” Wwbster smiled a little. “It’s the straw that broke the camel’s back.”
“What would a camel do with a straw?” (Eve)

”Drop the fucking weapon, you fucking motherfucker or I'll fucking scramble your fucking brains. Hands up! Hands where I can fucking see them, you fucking cocksucker. You fucking breathe wrong, you fucking blink wrong, and I will fuck you up. Fucker." Jacobsen snarled it as he shoved Marcell
Jen
It was so nice to be back in Eve and Roarke's world again!! This instalment was awesome and kept me very entertained. My only complaint would be that I would have liked to have had more Eve and Roarke time!!! The focus was mainly on the murder case... which is quite usual but this time it was more focused on it than them.

If you haven't read this series yet, I strongly urge you to give it a go! It's not to be missed!
Lynette
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it

TREACHERY IN DEATH is the 32nd book in the In Death series. Naturally there are books that I prefer over others, but overall I love the series and find that Nora Roberts AKA J.D. Robb does an awesome job mixing it up and making it still seem fresh. I know there are other readers who do not feel the same way as I do and I respectfully disagree with them. I think they’re bummed because Eve and Roarke aren’t umm . . . banging each other 24/7 like they did when they first got together. I actually li
JuliaOrlando
This is my fave book in the series...
After working out in the gym, Peabody hears 2 officers enter the locker room and begin arguing. Trapped, alone and weaponless she realizes that they are not just arguing about a case, but also about corruption and murder. As soon as they leave and she realizes it's safe, she contacts her co-hab McNab and they head over to Lt. Eve Dallas house.

The readers find out early on in the book who the bad guys are and the lengths they are willing to go to keep their il
Angela James
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I always love this series but I particularly loved this installment. I loved the change of mystery and the interpersonal byplay we got to see, as well as a peek into Eve's emotional and psychological growth. This book made me happy!
Lady*M
In Death is one of the two series with m/f (sub)plot that I'm still reading. The fact that I read the other one only to find out what happens to the gay couple and that I've given up on the rest almost two decades ago is saying something about this series. The appeal is in the futuristic setting, competent police procedural/mystery plots and, of course, kick-ass heroine.

Treachery in Death is a better, more coherent book that the previous one. Here we see Eve cleaning out her own house and she do
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a great book - right up there with my all time favourites in the ID series. Nothing I love to hate more than a wrong cop - add in a whole squad of wrong cops and that makes one hellava story.

Kick-ass Eve earns her name with a flourish in this book. She has so much to be proud of with her own squad and with her partner!

Love the girl fight at the end - great book, must read for all!

5 stars, 2 thumbs up!
CatBookMom
Love the fact that Peabody has a major role. This has become one of my favorites in a favorite series.

2018 - There are so many really good scenes in this, all worth re-reading. I have to say that the catfight between Dallas and Lt Oberman at the end is pretty much gratuitous, even though, as Cmdr Whitney says, "it was as satisfying to experience as it was to observe."

I've been skimming a lot of the books in this series, and, as Roarke has commented several times, Dallas *does* tend to get hit in
Darcy
I find books that have dirty cops in them fascinating. I think the reason why is that I find those dirty cops so offensive, as most of them are on the job for the right reasons and do a hard job. So when this book dealt with dirty cops I knew it would be a great job. There is nothing that Eve hates more than someone who bastardizes what she holds holy.

What I found so much fun about this book is the crime was clear and spelled out early on in the book. So most of the book was Eve and crew workin
Elvan
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, re-read
What a terrific book. I love watching Eve go up against Rene Oberman. Good cop versus bad cop on the simplest level, but this book is about so much more. It's about leadership and command styles and how respect is earned. Peabody gets some meaty moments starting off with her role as Primary in the takedown of the street thugs, then followed quickly by her eye witness shower stall scene. Unlike some InDeaths, this book never drags. All action all the time and very little time is spent navel gazin ...more
Caro
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death, own
Super Duper Read!!! Great characters and personalities, suspense, emotions, humor, teamwork, respect, some steaminess, tough decisions, fast-paced, and a magolicously iced ending. Another great book for the shelf. Keeps getting better and better. Still ready for the next. I'm going in...low and to the right Yay! Totally Enjoy!
Obsidian
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Please note that I gave this 4.5 stars out of 5 stars and rounded it to 5 stars on Goodreads.

The only reason why I did not give this one 5 stars was because the speech that Dallas pours all over Mira later on was too much. I may have rolled my eyes a lot. But everything else in the story works perfectly, though once again I may have said shut up Roarke a few times.

After finishing up a case with Dallas, Peabody goes off to work out at the precinct and while in the locker room about to take a show
Venus Blancia
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, futuristic, own
I finished reading last night and I was like asking all questions why people can’t all be passionate and be their best in what they are doing. I went to my answers and cried first to understanding the nature of evil that maybe I will never fathom because no matter how and why I still don’t know why it still continue to possess every man’s motive to live.

Treachery in Deathgot me rethink my life all together again for this has a very honest and universal theme of crime and battle of wits and power
Connie N.
#32 in the In Death series

I've enjoyed every single one of the books in this series, but this was a particularly good one. Instead of following the usual track of a murderer, Peabody overhears a conversation between two bad cops and gets Eve and the team involved in following up on their activities. Lots of action, and Eve does a lot of interaction with the suspects. Since this is an undercover-type of operation, there are fewer cops involved, and Roarke does a lot of the e-work. We meet again w
Ashley
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4/5
***Minor spoilers***

Lieutenant Dallas and her partner Detective Peabody are working a case that seems pretty cut and dry. Death takes place, suspects are located fairly easily, they end up confessing, and that's it. However, that isn't the main case in this book. That's introduced when Peabody is in the locker room of the NYPSD's gym and overhears something pretty incriminating. She overhears two officers arguing about something involving dirty money, a many year long side business, a
Silver James
Treachery in Death (In Death, #32) by J.D. Robb 2017 Update: This book remains one of my top five favorites in the series. It's as close to perfect as a book can get, tugging the reader's emotions in so many different directions. I have a girl crush on Eve and a major love affair with Roarke. I'll add in all the officers in her squad and the usual backups (the E-geeks, Mira, Whitney and Summerset.) It just gets better with every reread.

2015 reread: My original review has been saved below. It's been four years since I last read this book. My
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

4 ~ 4.5 "Eve Ass Kicking" Stars

Simply put - there is no female cop in Fictionlandia more kick ass than Eve Dallas. Here in Treachery in Death Eve is in her element as she goes after an entire squad of dirty cops with the help of Roarke, Peabody, and the rest of the gang. She's formidable, cunning, and totally hardcore. She's my ultimate girl crush and I loved every minute!! The only reason this fell shy of 5 stars for me is because the final "confrontation" between Eve and "the suspect" wasn't
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Treachery ranks in the top 5 of the In Death series for me. The identity of the villain/s is known very early on in this one, & the case quickly becomes personal to Eve. I really enjoyed watching as Eve methodically builds her case to take them down. She is always good but this one is special - like sitting through a command performance by a world-class orchestra. As always, the character interaction is superb with appearances by several of my favorites of the series. The teamwork is showcas ...more
Nicole
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, favorites
Verrat aus Leidenschaft // Treachery in Death!!! german and english review

Das Buch gehört jetzt eindeutig zu meinen Lieblingsbänden in der Serie, ich hab es von Anfang an einfach nur so verschlungen und wollte es garnicht aus der Hand legen, was ich stellenweise auch garnicht getan habe und das Buch um einiges schneller fertig gelesen habe als ich es sonst von Büchern aus der Reihe gewöhnt bin.

Im Allgemeinen liebe ich die Serie einfach, sie ist eine meiner Lieblingsserien, ich glaube ich habe
Laura von Eden
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bp, bücher
J. D. Robb ist ein Pseudonym, unter dem die bekannte Autorin Nora Roberts schreibt. Die Reihe um Eve Dallas geht mit 'Verrat aus Leidenschaft' bereits in die 32. Runde. Die Bände rund um Lieutenant Dallas erscheinen in regelmäßigen Abständen und meist auch wenige Monate nacheinander, so dass hier keine langen Wartezeiten entstehen. Auch wenn durchaus mal Bezug auf einen vorherigen Fall genommen werden kann, behandeln alle Bände abgeschlossene Fälle, so dass man auch problemlos später einsteigen ...more
Steve
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, in-death
Just when I fear that these books can get formulaic, one comes along that smiles sweetly at you, and then takes the formula and tears it up in front of you. Nothing happened in this book like I was expecting, and for that reason alone it will brilliant. The plot twists came thick and fast, and the climax was incredibly delicious, and there was not much of a resolution as these books are wont to do.
Tina
Naked in a shower in an old, unused gym in the basement of Cop Central, Peabody overhears two cops arguing about their own corruption and conspiracy in murder. One of them is a lieutenant, the daughter of a decorated ex-cop who is a legend and Whitney's predecessor. Knowing that if she is discovered, she is dead, she waits out the tense moments until their argument is over and they are gone. Shaken, she contacts McNabb and Eve to let them know what she has heard. This kicks off an investigation ...more
Jane
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
With this series Robb has started to shift gears from mysteries with a lot of romance to mysteries with some romance. At this point these are really police procedurals with a strong romance component. And I'm happy with that mix.

In this outing Eve is thinking she'll have some downtime after the uncomplicated case she and Peabody worked on concludes. Peabody, who was primary on the case, is happy with how things went but because of an altercation with a perp, decides to get some workout time in.
Carol
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Second Read: I really liked this book, and seemed to enjoy it more the second time. Naked in a shower in an old, unused gym in the basement of Cop Central, Peabody overhears two cops arguing about their own corruption and conspiracy in murder. One of them is a lieutenant, the daughter of a decorated ex-cop who is a legend and Whitney's predecessor. Knowing that if she is discovered, she is dead, she waits out the tense moments until their argument is over and they are gone. Shaken, she contacts ...more
J.D. Robb : Treachery In Death (Spoiler Zone) 41 166 Jan 14, 2017 06:28AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Treachery In Death (May 2015) - Spoiler Zone 88 21 Jun 26, 2015 08:27AM
similar author 9 72 May 22, 2013 03:28PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Fade (In the Company of Shadows, #4)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)
  • Prey
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more
More about J.D. Robb

In Death (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“... If you tried to touch my woman she'd break your dick off like a twig then stick it up your arse.” 89 likes
“Drop the fucking weapon, you fucking motherfucker or I'll fucking scramble your fucking brains. Hands up! Hands where I can fucking see them, you fucking cocksucker. You fucking breathe wrong, you fucking blink wrong, and I will fuck you up.

Fucker." Jacobsen snarled it as he shoved Marcell to the ground. "On your fucking face, you fucking shit coward. Stream my lieutenant in the fucking back? Fuck you.”
76 likes