SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What are you reading in January 2011?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 198 (198 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Two thousand eleven? Twenty Eleven? Twentyleven? Hm.

Anyways, new month, new year, new thread.

I'll be reading Not Less Than Gods, which I won in a GR giveaway. As well as the usual group reads.

What about you?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 883 comments I have two carry-over collections from 2010 that I'm not quite finished with:

Warriors (anthology edited by GRRM & Gardner Dozois) & Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman.

I've also started a re-read of Wizard and Glass by Stephen King, this time on audio.

message 3: by Dawn (last edited Jan 01, 2011 09:01PM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 462 comments I'll be starting out with Wizard and Glass, (Dark Tower #4) by Stephen King. After that I'm doing The Shining, also by Stephen King, which I fear might eat my soul. I also want to squeeze in Poison Study and Red Seas Under Red Skies this month too, assuming I have time. Should be a good month!

message 4: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments This month I'm planning to read:

Chill by Elizabeth Bear The Dragon Book Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy by Jack Dann Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert Fever Season (Benjamin January, Book 2) by Barbara Hambly Graveyard Dust (Benjamin January, Book 3) by Barbara Hambly The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson Mainspring by Jay Lake The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion, #2) by Dan Simmons Remains by Mark W. Tiedemann The King's Peace (Tir Tanagiri, #1) by Jo Walton

message 5: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments Ala wrote: "I'll be reading Not Less Than Gods, which I won in a GR giveaway."

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of that one. Have you read any of the other Company novels? Because when I read Not Less Than Gods I decided it might actually work *better* for people who haven't read the rest of the series, but no one else I know has read it, so I haven't been able to test my theory! ;)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never even heard of The Company novels before, so was surprised to have won this one. So far, I'm really rather enjoying it(about half way through). If it finishes as well as it's been going, I'll definitely be picking up other Company novels in the future.

message 7: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments Cool. Baker's maybe my second favorite author discoveries of last year, and she would've been THE favorite any year that didn't have Catherynne M. Valente in it. . . ;)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Phoenixfalls wrote: "Cool. Baker's maybe my second favorite author discoveries of last year, and she would've been THE favorite any year that didn't have Catherynne M. Valente in it. . . ;)"

Just looked up Valente... hmm. What of hers have you read and which would you recommend?

message 9: by Phoenixfalls (last edited Jan 02, 2011 12:03AM) (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments In the Night Garden & In the Cities of Coin and Spice to start. It's dense, poetic stuff, and you have to be into fairy tales and mythology for it to work. . . but I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

I've also read Palimpsest, which was beautiful but didn't move me quite as much as the two volumes of The Orphan's Tales; and I should be receiving The Habitation of the Blessed and The Grass-Cutting Sword in the mail any day now. :)

message 10: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 649 comments I have heard good things about Valente and Bear and plan to add them to my TBR. I am reading Kay's Lions for this read along here, and a reread of Eriksons Deadhouse Gates for a reread at another site.My Book club is doing Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, and just for my own fun I am reading Perdido Street Station. I also just picked up Jurgen by James Branch Cavell (sp?) just because I saw an interview with Gaiman where he recommended him....I think that's enough to be getting along with for now!

message 11: by Rusty (new)

Rusty | 91 comments Just finished Tanith Lee's The Gorgon and Other Beastly Tales. I enjoyed the title story which won the world fantasy award for best short story the year it was written. Not sure what I will pick up next - maybe The Mockingjay as soon as I finish Catching Fire.

message 13: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (Astra) I am 2/3 into The Subtle Knife
It is better than its predecessor Northern Lights
Don't know why, but I like it more :)

message 15: by Rich (new)

Rich Feitelberg | 4 comments Just finished the first book of the Guardians of Legends trilogy.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Was intrigued by the name, did a search, and first thing that popped up was the Owl books.

Finally found it, though. Son of Ereubus

message 17: by Lydia (last edited Jan 02, 2011 02:52PM) (new)

Lydia | 2 comments The Greyfriar by Clay Griffith

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia | 924 comments I didn't finish all the letters in my 2010 a-z of new to me authors. Recently got:
Say You're One of them- Uwem Akpan
The Fear Principle- B.A. Chepaitis
Which Witch- Eve Ibbotson
Palimpsest- Catherynne M. Valente
The Good Woman of China- Xinran
The Replacement- Brenna Yovanoff

I'm a huge fan of Dr Who, I hope I can get ahold of the book. I've never read a Who book, or one by Moorcock.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments I'm working my way through The Jewel House: Elizabethan London and the Scientific Revolution. Strictly speaking, I started reading it in December. And when I'm not reading that, I'm reading Little Money Street: In Search of Gypsies and Their Music in the South of France.

I have a bunch of other things I want to read, but I'm not sure which ones I'll actually get to.

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee (EL_Postal) | 20 comments Currently reading Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Phoenixfalls wrote: "Ala wrote: "I'll be reading Not Less Than Gods, which I won in a GR giveaway."

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of that one. Have you read any of the other Company novel..."

Just to let you know, I finished it tonight and enjoyed it. Will be picking up the first Company novel in the near future. If it's good/better, then I'd say you guess was right.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments I liked the second Company novel, Sky Coyote, much better than In the Garden of Iden. (Of course, I didn't know that the latter existed; I picked up the former in the bookstore thinking it was a standalone.) So I'd say that even if you don't care for the first, keep going through the second before you decide about the second. (I love giving unsolicited advice about reading. Sorry. >.>)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Will do. And thanks for the advice ;)

message 24: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 424 comments The Dr. Who selection for January prompted me to seek out my cache of Dr. Who novelizations, so I'm reading Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen when I need a break from Coming of the Terraphiles.

message 25: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 424 comments Julia wrote: "I'm a huge fan of Dr Who, I hope I can get ahold of the book. I've never read a Who book, or one by Moorcock. "

The book is available for Kindle, so you can download one of the free Kindle apps and buy it that way. Unfortunately it's not enabled to lend.

message 26: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments I'm currently reading Grand Conspiracy (my status updates). I need to start The Lions of al-Rassan soon, but hesitate to start a Kay novel while absorbing a Wurts novel. :) I need to focus when I read either and I won't divide and concur if I proceed concurrently.

I have Ship of Magic on loan from the Library, but not sure I'll get to it. The discussion time has 'passed' and unless I'm given a very compelling reason to attempt it, I may just return the book to the library unread.

The rest of my reads for January can be found on my current-month shelf. January 2011 will proceed at a more leisurely pace than December 2010.

Happy New Year!

message 27: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments Nikki wrote: "I liked the second Company novel, Sky Coyote, much better than In the Garden of Iden."

Sky Coyote's my favorite Company novel too. The main reason I thought Not Less Than Gods might work better for people who haven't read the rest of the series is that if you haven't read anything else in that world you can read it as very Frankenstein-esque, which I thought was totally awesome; but if you've read the other Company novels that reading doesn't quite work, and then Not Less Than Gods just isn't quite as fun. But I'm really glad that you're seeking out more of the series Ala!

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Michael wrote: "Library Fail/Redeem today.

Fail: There was not a copy of Mockingjay to be found.

Redeem: There were copies of The Name of the Wind and The Lies of Locke Lamora for me ..."

Just asking, did you plan to read The Name of the Wind for a long time, and just got it now?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Let it go, Kevin...just let it go

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 44 comments Finishing up the Nightrunner Trilogy (I'm currently on Traitor's Moon).

Finishing up Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe

And probably going to start on the Mass Effect books, as well as finally read The Name of the Wind on the e-reader Santa got me. :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think of the Nightrunner trilogy?

Also, I hate Santa. He skipped me this year when it came to new e-readers...

message 32: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 44 comments So far I really like it - I'm feeling a strong attachment to the characters, and it's got the light fantasy I've been looking for awhile now.

Better yet, I recently found out that there are five books, and it's not a trilogy like I thought. Lucky me to not have to give up this world just yet!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sweet, more to add towards my 100 books this year. :)

message 34: by Julia (last edited Jan 04, 2011 08:18AM) (new)

Julia | 924 comments Alex,

I think there are five books so far in the Nightrunner series. It's a favorite of mine, too. Just looked it up. Glimpses A Collection of Nightrunner Short Stories by Lynn Flewelling came out last month and is short stories set in that universe. Also, when you've completed the whole Nightrunner series, check out Flewelling's Tamir trilogy that's in the same universe, only ~500 years earlier...

message 35: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 426 comments Ala wrote: "What do you think of the Nightrunner trilogy?..."

I really enjoyed Nightrunner, but it's been awhile. I have just started Janny Wurts series "The Wars of Light and Shadow" which somehow I overlooked and am about 3/4th the way thru Curse of the MIstwraith and will be reading some GR bookclub selections and all David Gerrold's non-Star Trek novels. 1st up The Martian Child and then the Star Wolf series...

message 36: by Laurel (new)

Laurel January is about trying new things, and making resolutions. So, my January is going to shape up like this:

I want to read a few well reviewed graphic novels - American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder Kill Shakespeare Volume 1 by Conor McCreery Batwoman Elegy by Greg Rucka The Dark Tower The Long Road Home by Robin Furth The Dark Tower Treachery by Robin Furth

I'm hoping to finally get through a sic fi classic - Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert

I'm going to curl up with a few favorite authors - Horns by Joe Hill The Long Walk by Stephen King Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11) by Lois McMaster Bujold A Civil Campaign (Vorkosigan Saga, #12) by Lois McMaster Bujold

Finally, I'm going to try a few new authors/series - The Magicians by Lev Grossman Little, Big (Trade Paperback) by John Crowley Seven for a Secret by Elizabeth Bear

message 37: by Julia (new)

Julia | 924 comments So far this month I've read:

The Trial (Illustrated Classics) A Graphic Novel by Franz Kafka- don't bother- and With the Light... Vol. 1 Raising an Autistic Child  by Keiko Tobe- wonderful.

Currently reading Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie and not loving it.

From library:
The Replacement, Palimpsest, The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices, Which Witch?

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Laurel wrote: "January is about trying new things, and making resolutions. So, my January is going to shape up like this:

I want to read a few well reviewed graphic novels - [bookcover:American Vampire Vol. 1|7..."

Good luck with Little, Big, the most challenging book that I have ever read. It is not that you think it is.

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 44 comments Julia, I saw that! Looking forward to read more about Seregil and Alec.

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Michael, I guess you do not know the thread that I started on Fantasy Book Club that lasted for four days and got shut down my the group founder.

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) This month I have Red Seas Under Red Skies, Poison Study and Dark Tower books 3 & 4 lined up. I also have The Name of the Wind, which I received from my Secret Santa. I'm hoping to start it by the end of the month :)

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 883 comments Hey, Jackie! Gotta love that Secret Santa. You got some great choices there.

message 43: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Thanks :) Santa was very generous too. She sent me a very nice copy along with some delicious chocolates.

message 44: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 462 comments Hi Jackie! I want some chocolates, send them my way please :)

message 45: by Kevin (last edited Jan 04, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Hey, Chris just got to love that Dead Land Weird West by Steven Jackson, cover art done by the one Brom.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 883 comments Yeah, Kevin. It's a good one. I'm audio-listening Dark Tower IV and it really fits my mood.

message 47: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 424 comments Permutation City - Greg Egan

message 48: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (beniowa79) | 368 comments I finished The Habitation of the Blessed by Catherynne M. Valente. Valente's storytelling is fantastic as always, but I didn't like the character of Prester John nor the reaction to him.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael. I'll just leave This here for perusing at your leisure.

That thread might be a bit spoilery though.

Here's a TL:DR for it: Kevin thinks it's overrated and doesn't understand why anyone likes it at all.

message 50: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 05, 2011 01:37PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 203 comments I just finished reading Far North by Marcel Theroux (excellent!), and have two series I will be read/re-reading and some stand-alone books this month.

I started a YA SF book called TimeRiders (TimeRiders, #1) by Alex Scarrow last night. It's the first of a series, but I'll see how it is before I get any more of the books.

I've read the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd before, but I recently found that he'd written a couple more since I last tuned in, so I'm rereading them and continuing on with the new ones. So, thats:
Mutineer (Kris Longknife #1) by Mike Shepherd (read Dec 30th),
Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2) by Mike Shepherd Defiant (Kris Longknife #3) by Mike Shepherd Resolute (Kris Longknife #4) by Mike Shepherd Audacious (Kris Longknife #5) by Mike Shepherd Intrepid (Kris Longknife #6) by Mike Shepherd  Undaunted (Kris Longknife #7) by Mike Shepherd Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8) by Mike Shepherd

then I have the Mad Ship series by Robin Hobb to work through:
Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1) by Robin Hobb The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2) by Robin Hobb Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3) by Robin Hobb

I also have these on my shelf to read this month:
Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian Hastur Lord (Darkover Series) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

and my GR FirstReads wins: Cover Me A Health Insurance Memoir by Sonya Huber and The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern.

Only 24 reading days left in the month, so I've got to get cracking!

« previous 1 3 4