Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Reading List > Lisarenee's 2011 Luxuriously Lengthy List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments

So I will shoot to read 300 books again in 2010. Maybe I'll make it this year. :)

message 2: by Sashana (last edited Dec 31, 2010 03:59PM) (new)

Sashana Awesome name. Good luck, Lisarenee.

message 3: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 223 comments Good luck, Lisarenee!

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks guys.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Woo-hoo! You go Lisa!

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments you go girl!

message 7: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 03, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I will list all my books in the 2011 Serious Reader Challenge, but post reviews here.
1. Ruthless(The House of Rohan, #1) by Anne Stuart
Is it me or are romances started to take on a darker edge? This one certainly does. Viscount Rohan is in charge of a group call the Heavenly Hosts. There is nothing Heavenly about it. In fact the opposite is quite true. The theme for the group? Do anything you want and, I must say, they definitely do. Anything goes sexually that is. If you saw the movie Eyes Wide Shut you know what I'm talking about.

When Elinor goes searching for her mother the trail leads her to a party being held by the Heavenly Hosts. Elinor's mother is ill and went off to gamble away what little money the family had left. To get into the party to retrieve her mother she must first get past Viscount Rohan. Once the bored rake gets a gander at Elinor he finds his boredom replaced by curiosity. Not the kind of attention a virtuous, but impoverished woman needs. Very fun read, but for some reason the beginning gave me a sense of Déjà vu. I think I read a book that had a very similar club as the Heavenly Hosts in it. It will haunt me until I remember which book I read that the beginning of this one reminded me of. Gah! I hate when I can't remember.
Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1) by Anne Stuart

message 8: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 03, 2011 04:19PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 2. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Awesome ending to the trilogy. So sad the author passed away. Would have loved to have read more of his writing.

Lisbeth has been flown to the hospital with a gun shot wound to the head and others to her body. Blomkvist is handcuffed hand being treated as a criminal. The truth of what happened has yet to be revealed. Zalachenko, her father, is hanging on and looks to make a full recovery. Niedermann has escaped and gone into hiding. Now there will be a trial. Lisbeth will be charged with the attempted murder of her father. Blomkvist and the other members of Knights of the Idiotic Table have their job cut out for them to prove Salander is a victim.

Loved the whole book and wished Lisbeth could have a total HEA. Very fun read. Highly recommend this trilogy.
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 3. Rhapsody: Child of Blood(Symphony of Ages Series #1) by Elizabeth Haydon
Picture yourself back in time, the year 1139. When women mostly married and raised their children. The town is having the annual Foreharvest dance. Emily is attempting to avoid the marriage lottery. Told this year she must enter she is upset that she must give up all the dreams she has.

Gwydion has been transported back in time and to the other side of the world. He is invited to the Foreharvest dance by the farmer who has agreed to hire him. Still trying to get his barrings he leaves the Foreharvest dance to contemplate his plight. While sitting outside he sees Emily and strikes up a conversation. An instant connection is made and after a night of shared passion and a marriage proposal the two decide to run away together. Only problem is that Gwydion isn't from this time and the next day is ripped back through time. Hence, the real story begins 7 years later. When love, magic, and dragons are involved you know it's gonna be good.
Rhapsody Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1) by Elizabeth Haydon

message 10: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lisarenee wrote: "3. Rhapsody: Child of Blood(Symphony of Ages Series #1) by Elizabeth Haydon
Picture yourself back in time, the year 1139. When women mostly married and raised their chi..."

It does sound really good.

message 11: by Sans (new)

Sans Sash, I've barely started it if you want to join the buddy read!

message 12: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Okay, I'll see if my library has a copy.

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Okay, I'll see if my library has a copy.

message 14: by Sans (new)

Sans Yay!

message 15: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 07, 2011 05:13AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments niquea is going to start it when she receives her copy too.

message 16: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 07, 2011 05:30AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead
4) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Rose and Liss ran away from friends, family, and the vampire academy two years ago. Rose is Liss' guardian, although that title is not official. She hasn't completed her training yet. Just when they were starting to feel comfortable in their new life, they get caught by the academy. The reason they ran two years ago was they felt Liss' life was in danger. The feeling of being watched and a feeling of ill ease is what prompted the two to make their escape. Now stepping back into their old life they will find out whether their fears from before will prove to be a reality or the product of overactive imaginations. Very fun read.

message 17: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 08, 2011 12:09AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally Carter
5)Heist Society by Ally Carter (re-read)
Very fun read. Katarina (Kat) is trying to get out of the family business. When people ask what that business is she usually attempts to say Art. The distribution side, but her family is really into the business of stealing Art. While attempting to "steal" a prime education her friends think they're doing her a favor by "springing" her from the school much to Kat's dismay.

Kat's father is being threatened by a man whose paintings have been stolen. The prime and only suspect? Kat's dad. Now Kat is approached by said man who threatens her family if he doesn't get his paintings back. So Kat must now try to figure out who took the paintings, where they are, and steal them back in the allotted time or else.

Little bit of a love triangle going on with Kat/Hale/Nick. Loved the names associated with the various cons such as Avon Lady, Smokey the Bear, etc. Had me laughing and grinning. Definitely a light hearted read and won 6th place in the Goodreads Choice Awards for Young Adult Fiction. I can't wait to read the sequel.

This book is not everyone's cup of tea, so if your not a big fan of YA books you may not like it as much as I did.

message 18: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 16, 2011 08:30PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook
6)The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook.
I am starting to get addicted to these steampunk paranormal books.

Looking for a fast paced, fun, and slightly naughty read? Well this might just hit the spot.

Set in England in the 1800s in an alternate world that reminds me a little of something that would happen on an episode of the Sci-Fi TV series Sliders (not that this is like one, but would have fit into the series nicely). Mina is the inspector and is looking into the murder of an unknown individual found on the Iron Duke's property. The Iron Duke, Rhys Trahaearn, is a celebrated war hero who saved England from the rule of the Horde.

The Horde (in this story), ruled by one of Ghengis Khan's eldest sons, invaded and took control of England and parts of Europe through a biological Nanotechnology. With this technology the Horde could control people using the nanoagents that infected every person living in London by using different frequencies. The Iron Duke destroyed the tower used to send out the commands.

Mina has given up on the idea of marriage. She is the offspring of an unknown member of the Horde who took advantage of her mother during a Frenzy. England still hold a grudge against anyone who resembles the Horde. It is for this reason she must always be accompanied by a body guard. One of the funny things about Mina's family is that Mina's mother is the leader of the Ladies Reformation League which encourages women to stay home with their children.

Together Rhys and Mina work to find the person who murdered the individual and uncover a plot that could ultimately kill everyone in England. Throw in some Kracken, zombies, and the fact Rhys is determined to have Mina and you've got the makings of a very fun book. Loved it.

Never Trust A Rogue (Heiress in London, #2) by Olivia Drake
7)Never Trust A Rogue by Olivia Drake
Will add review later.

The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons
8)The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
What a heart wrenching beautiful love story. Set in soviet Russia at the start of WWII, Tatiana is 16 going on 17, and the world as she knows it is about to come to an end. War has finally reached Russia. Love will be found, lives will be lost, and nothing will ever be the same. Innocence will be lost in more ways than one.

It has just been broadcast that the Germans have declared war on Russia. While Tatiana is out attempting to buy supplies for her family before the stores run out she meets Alexander, a handsome soldier in the Russian Army. When she brings him home she finds he and her sister are acquainted and realizes their relationship can never be, but sometimes things are just meant to be no matter how much they seem not to be. A book that will touch your heart.

Simmons captured the feel of war in this book. The hope, fear, despair, and how even the simplest things in life, such as a typical summer day, can be made extraordinary when accomplished during war. As I was reading some of the more tragic parts I thanked God I do not have to worry where my next meal will come from or if I will have enough heat to keep me warm in the winter. Makes a person realize how lucky they are not to have lived during such a tragic time in history.

I keep going back and forth between rating this 4 or 5 stars. The part that made me rate it a 4 instead of a 5, and the only thing I disliked in the book, is the love triangle. Wish Simmons could have avoided it.

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Angel Star (Angel Star, #1) by Jennifer Murgia
9)Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia
Will review at a later date.

Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead
10)Frostbite by Richelle Mead
Loving this series so far. In this book Rose is back in the good graces of the Vampire Academy. She has caught up on her training and will be taking the test she missed the year before. Only problem is the man who was going to administer the test and all those under his protection have been murdered. Now everyone is uneasy and security will be heightened in an attempt to keep everyone safe. Fun read.

message 20: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 22, 2011 09:42AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1) by Cherie Priest
11)Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
Liked it but didn't love it like most of the other Steampunk books. Takes place in the mid 1800s in an alternate Seattle. Due to an accident with a drilling machine prototype a good section of Seattle has collapsed and a killing/Zombie creating gas has escaped causing the city to be walled shut. I probably won't continue the series.

message 21: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning
12)Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning.
Moning is warped and I mean that in a totally complimentary way. lol This book had so many twists and turns that if you weren't paying attention you'd miss something. Could this be her way of trying to keep all us dreaded skippers(people who try to take a peek ahead to see what happens) totally in line and totally clueless as to how she achieved her ending if one hadn't read everything prior?

It's finally revealed who Mac killed. Determined to not let her grief get her down she teams with her enemy because you should always keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. Trying to curb her feelings she comes up with a plan to put things back in order. Having nothing left to lose the bad guys better watch out because Mac is playing for keeps and she's gonna kick some @ss. ;)

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel
13)The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

Who knew this one could be so good? I wasn't sure what to expect from this book and was pleasantly surprised. Set in the time when Neanderthals were about to die out Ayla, a five year old, is taken in by a clan of Neanderthals. The difference in the two races is very apparent and acceptance is not automatic. While Iza and Creb love her almost immediately and act as substitute parents, Broud, the chief's son is jealous and hates her. As she grows from child to women her spirit, strength, and courage are put to the test. Very sad ending, but I loved it just the same. Will definitely be reading the series.

message 23: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent
14)My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

Kaylee has a secret that she's kept. She can tell when someone is going to die. She sees a darkness around the person and get an incredible urge to scream. The last time such an event occurred no one believed her and she was confined for a week to a mental health ward. Now she knows she's not crazy because the girl she just singled out as about to die the night before actually did. But what good is knowing someone's about to die if you can't change it? She literally looses all function but the urge to scream when she encounters someone on the verge of death. Her best friend and one of the cutest guys in school both witnessed what happened and thought she was having a panic attack. Somehow they managed to calm her before she screamed. Now she'll search for some answers about what is happening to her and try to figure out why 3 totally healthy teenage girls have mysteriously dropped dead for no apparent reason.

message 24: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 03, 2011 06:54AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments To Tempt a Rake (Circle of Sin, #3) by Cara Elliott
15)To Tempt a Rake by Cara Elliott

Kate Woolbridge is not your average English Lady. In fact she's really not a Lady or English. While her mother was the daughter of a Duke, her father was a American sea captain whom her mother married and ran off with. Most would refer to her father as a pirate. Kate has lead an unusual life and traveled to many different ports. Now that her parents are deceased she's decided to try to mend bridges with the only family member she still has, her grandfather, The Duke of Cluyne.

Marco, the Conte of Como, is a Italian rake. He doesn't do relationships, but something about Kate draws him to her. Her scent stirs a distant memory and if he ever unravels what that memory is Kate may be ruined.

A book with murder, espionage, humor, and a touch of naughtiness made for an enjoyable read.

message 25: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Awakened by a Kiss (Fiery Tales, Book 1) by Lila DiPasqua

16) Awakened by a Kiss by Lila DiPasqua

This book is anthology of 3 stories written by the same author. If she didn't tell you what the connections was to Fairy Tales you probably would have no clue they were variations of the well known tales. All are historical romances that take place in France.

Sleeping Beau
Sort of a twist on Sleeping Beauty. Catherine did something five years ago that she's not proud of, but she was desperate. She seduced a man from Vienna by lacing his drink with an aphrodisiac. She gave up her virginity that night expecting to never see the man again, but sometimes your past comes back to haunt you.

Turns out the man whom she seduced all those years ago was the King's son. He's just spotted her and he wants answers. She's haunted his dreams almost every night since their one night of passion.

Little Red Writing

Anne, Henriette, and Camille are sisters and authors. One of them writes articles under the name Gilbert Leduc. The articles reveal secrets about the male nobility that can ruin or make a mockery out of them. They are also considered illegal.

Nicholas de Savignac is a Musketeer and part of the King's private Guard. They have been sent to arrest whichever of the women is Gilbert Leduc. Nicholas senses a mutual attraction between himself and Anne and decides the best way to get information is to seduce her and get her to feel at ease around him so she'll spill who is the mysterious Gilbert Leduc really is.

Very fun.

Bewitching in Boots

Clair is the favorite daughter of the King. She's a widow and knows that her father has plans for her to wed again. Before the King makes up his mind Clair comes up with a plan which she hopes will allow her to choose her own husband. The problem is he sees her as a manipulative spoiled tease and doesn't wish to play her silly games. When he decides to call her bluff he realizes first impressions aren't always correct.

Note to those of you who dislike the use of words like f@ck and such this one does contain such language.

message 26: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
17. The Dark Divine(Dark Divine Series #1) by Bree Despain
Three years ago something horrific happened to Grace's brother Jude. Daniel Kalbi had been Jude's best friend and was being raised in the Divine family like a foster brother. That night three years ago Daniel disappeared and so did his name from the Divine household. Now Daniel's back and Grace still doesn't know what happened. Torn between loyalty to her brother and feelings she's always held for Daniel she'll be put to the test. Slowly the mystery will unravel. Being a Pastor's daughter she is used to being told to forgive people of past deeds, but if even her brother can't forgive and accept Daniel can she? Very fun read. I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars.
Oh, and there is a paranormal element to this one. I look forward to reading the sequel.

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton
18. Guilty Pleasures(Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Anita Blake is an animator. She brings people back from the dead as zombies. She's also known as the Executioner because of her abilities to kill vampires. She kills vampires for a living. She's just managed to tick off the Master of all Vamps in the area refusing to work for her in solving a series of vampire murders. Nothing personal, but Anita has made it a policy never to work for vampires. It's not that she hates them she just doesn't trust them and with good reason. Caught in a Catch-22 situation where she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't she's forced to help when her best friend, Catherine, is brought under the control of another vampire working under the Master's order.

The book gets it's name from the club where the vampire, Aubrey, puts Catherine under his control. The club obviously is called Guilty Pleasures. Very fun read I give it 3 1/2 Stars out of 5.

Only thing I disliked were the Wererats. For some reason the song from the Nutcracker Suite kept popping into my head. Very distracting.

message 28: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Once in a Full Moon by Ellen Schreiber
19. Once in a Full Moon by Ellen Schreiber
You know how some books you just can't wait to get to the end and find out what happens and the hate the fact it's over? That's how I felt with this book. So naturally I had to find out if this was the first book of a series and was relieved to find out that it was.

Celeste is dating the school's handsome quarterback, Nash. The relationship is comfortable, but if you asked if she was in love she'd say no. When she meets the new kid at school, Brandon, she's attracted, but doesn't take it any farther. That is until he saves her from a pack of wolves that looked to make her their next meal. Now she needs to make a choice between Nash and Brandon. Add in the fact Brandon was bitten while trying to save her, a local werewolf legend, a psychic prediction, and you've got the makings of a fun read.

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

Was left wondering what do kisses under a full moon have to do with the "Change", who Dr. Meadows really is, and what Nash will do now that he knows?

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn
20. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
If I had to describe this book in one word it would be Cute. About two teenagers who find each other when one asks the other if she'd pretend to be his girlfriend for the next five minutes. His Ex is at the club with her new boy toy and he would prefer to have it look like he's moved on. The two spend the rest of the night getting to know each other and well, you can guess. Very fun read. Not quite my taste and seemed to drag a little at the end. I give it a 3 out or 5 stars.

Note: Extreme use of the word F word toward the end.

message 30: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:26PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Accidental Countess (Harlequin Historical #981) by Michelle Willingham
21. The Accidental Countess by Michelle Willingham
"You're very lucky, you know."

Lucky? He felt as thought someone had cracked his skull in two. He hadn't even the strength to open his eyes to see who was tending him.

"How am I lucky?" he managed to whisper. Lucky to be alive, she'd probably say.

"You're lucky I haven't got any arsenic for this tea," she remarked."Or another poison, for that matter. Otherwise you'd be dead by now." A warm poultice dropped across his forehead, scented with herbs.

Several months ago Emily married Stephen for love and his promise to save her brother. Shortly thereafter her brother was dead and her husband missing and reportedly staying with his mistress. After he was dropped off at the front door close to death's door it's no wonder Emily is a little mad at the man. After all Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned or lied to. Her husband has no idea what happened during the months after he left her and no recollection of their marriage. Secrets will be revealed and lost memories will be found. Very fun read. I gave it 4 stars out of 5.

message 31: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia
22. Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
In this book Lena is feeling guilty for using the "book" to save Ethan which ultimately cost Macon his life. For the book cannot be used with out consequences ant those consequences were extracted by substituting Macon's life for Ethan's. Lena's dealing with an inner conflict between the good and bad sides of her nature. She feels she dooms all those around her. Ethan is trying to be supportive, but he still can't remember what occurred the day Macon died and is having a hard time dealing with the changes he sees in Lena.

Now Ethan must find things out about himself, his mom, and the Castor world that will influence his decisions. The addition of a mysterious Castor that seems to be making moves on Lean will put Lena and Ethan's relationship to the test. Plus, another girl, Liv, will enter Ethan's life and he will need to determine if holding on to Lena and putting up with her erratic behavior is worth it or if he should give Liv a shot.

I gave this book 3 1/2 out of 5 Stars. The pace was a little slow for my tastes and at one point I had to put it down and read something else because it couldn't hold my attention. After that initial set back I read on and decided to only read 100 to 200 pages a day. I was less confused than with the first book, but truly wish they'd write a glossary of what each part of the Light and Dark Castors are and can do.

message 32: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton
23. The Laughing Corpse(Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton
So I am addicted to this series now. How did I miss this one before? I'm loving the fact this series starting being written over 15 years ago. I see things that may have influenced the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series and some other popular paranormal series. It reminds me of when I decide to take a walk down memory lane with one of my favorite authors by reading some of their earlier works and being surprised to find out they were just as good then as the ones being written now. That is not always the case.

In this book Anita is up against a powerful witch, Senora Dominga Salvador, a killer zombie, and of course the powers of seduction emitted by JC (Jean-Claude). Very fun read with lots of action set in a fun world.

message 33: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)  by Laurell K. Hamilton
24. Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Jean-Claude needs to defend his territory in this book and those who wish to take over want not just the city, but control of Anita as well. Anita will finally be made into a vampire servant, but you'll have to read the story to find out whose she becomes. We are also introduced to Richard. I mean what series would be complete without a love triangle? Jammed pack with action, flame throwers, fight scenes, vampire children and snake like creatures.WOW! What fun.

message 34: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:30PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) by Laurell K. Hamilton
25. The Lunatic Cafe(Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Richard and Anita's relationship is growing. Jean-Claude is not happy and is ready to make trouble for the happy couple. In exchange for JC not hurting Richard Anita agrees to dating both Richard and JC for a set time period. I must say I do look forward to seeing JC and Anita on a date.

In a more dramatic event weres are disappearing. What starts out as a case that Bert sends Anita's way of a missing wife seems to have expanded to many more which were never reported to authorities. Anita will need to find out if all the disappearances are connected or it's all just a big coincidence. Plus, Richard's pack leader thinks somehow now that Anita is dating Richard he can boss her around. After all she is just a mere mortal. Gosh, kind of makes you wonder just how kick-@ss Anita would be if she became a were.

Fun series and am excited because everyone I know who's read the series says the best books are yet to come. Woo Hoo! ;)

I give this one 5 out of 5 stars.

message 35: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:32PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel
26. The Valley of Horses(Earth's Children, #2) by Jean M. Auel
This books starts off with Ayla trying to survive on her own while dealing with the grief of loosing her son and the only family she's ever known. While her previous punishment may have been deserved, her current one most definitely was not. Brun's jealousy and hatred of her was the reason she was cast out and nothing that she, herself had done. So Ayla starts the quest Ina requested she take - a quest to find the "Others".

We also are introduced to Jondalar and his brother. Two men on a journey of exploration. The addition of the two men to the story makes you know one of them will end up somehow entangled with Ayla, but you will have to wait for a good portion of the book for the two to meet, but don't worry. Auel adds a lot of other fun twists and turns to the story to make the book interesting although I was starting to get a little upset that the two didn't meet sooner.

I gave this one a 4 out 5 stars.

message 36: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
27.Archangel's Consort(Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh
Elena has proved that even though she's weak from her transformation from human to angel she's still a force to be reckoned with, but some angel's just don't ever learn. One of the ancient's is awakening and it may very well be Raphael's mom. Yes, just when Elena's thought she'd gotten away without having to deal with any in-laws wouldn't you know it? Raphael's mom just might have to check out his new consort. Elena just can't catch a break. lol The problem in this book is that while Raphael's mom may have gone crazy before she disappeared and decided to go basically into hibernation there are no guarantees she may not still be crazy when she wakes up. Vamps are going crazy and giving in to blood lust and Raphael's mother may have something to do with it. The big question - Is it worth waiting to find out if the self induced coma Raphael's mother put herself in has healed her or should they try to find and kill her before she completely awakens before the task becomes almost impossible?

Another 5 out of 5 angel wings, er, stars for Nalini Singh. Thank you Ms. Singh for another highly entertaining and delightful book. Highly recommend this series. :)

message 37: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 07, 2011 05:59PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel
28. Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel
This book reminded me a little of Twilight, but there were no vampires involved. Just Immortals, hence where the series gets it's name.

Ever's parents and sister died in a car crash. She was the only survivor. Now living with her aunt in another town she's gone from cheerleader to outcast and doesn't mind keeping herself off the radar. Since the accident Ever's been able to hear what people are thinking. With just a touch from another person she can know things she truly doesn't wish to about them. Talk about having a TMI overload. When Damen enrolls in her school she finally finds someone she can't read and she doesn't know why. All she knows is this mysterious boy has no aura around him. He is the first person since the accident she's met who doesn't have one. Now she must decide if she can trust the attraction she has to him or if there is something not quiet right and untrustworthy about him.

I gave this one a 3 out of 5 stars. There were a lot of questions and the story didn't grab me as much as others have.

message 38: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 07, 2011 05:59PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) by Alyson Noel
29. Blue Moon(The Immortals, #2) by Alyson Noel
Liked this one more than the first and is keeping my interest, but ended up with a whole lot of unanswered questions.

In this book a new character, Roman, enters the scene. There is just something about him that Ever just can't stand. He and Damen seem to be getting along famously and Ever has to figure out if that is what's bothering her or something totally different. When Damen looses his memory of her and starts acting like a jerk, however, she realizes Roman is involved. Now she must find out who Roman is and what he's done to Damen. Not only did his feelings change toward Ever, but his powers and health appear to be taking a turn for the worse. If she can't figure out what exactly is going on he may lose more than just his feelings for her, he may lose his life.

I gave this one 3 1/2 stars.

message 39: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 07, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa
30. The Iron King(Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa
I truly wanted to love this one, but for some reason I just didn't :( I felt like someone tried to merge A Midsummer Night's Dream (yes, she used the actually characters from the story) with Alice in Wonderland (mainly due to the Cheshire cat like creature) and added a touch of modern technology. I can't seem to put my finger on what I didn't like so maybe I just wasn't in the mood for the book? I just don't know.

10 years ago at the age of 6 Meghan's father disappeared. He didn't die, didn't leave, he just vanished into thin are. Poof and he was gone. The only thing left were the shoes he'd been wearing and that was it. Meghan was with him that day and in the time it took her to rush to the ice-cream truck, get her ice-cream, and turn around he was gone. Shortly thereafter Meghan's mom moved them far away and the two built a new life together. To Meghan it felt like they were running away and 10 years later she'll finally find out why.

I'm giving this one 3 out of 5 stars.

message 40: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 07, 2011 06:01PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
31. Matched(Matched #1) by Ally Condie
'The goal of matching is twofold: to provide the healthiest possible future citizens for our Society and to provide the best chances for interested citizens to experience successful Family Life. It is of the utmost importance to the Society that the Matches be as optimal as possible.'

This one had a Giver (by Lois Lowry) type feel to it. Somewhere in the future society now decides who can marry who and what job you can hold. When Cassia is matched with her best friend, Xander, she thinks she's the luckiest girl in the world. Her happiness, however, is later cluttered with confusion when the microcard which contains information about her match changes from Xander's photo to Ky's. Even though she's told there was an error with her card and Xander is her match it sets off a whole lot of questions about how perfect the matching program is. When Ky and Cassia are paired together in extra curricular activity she finds herself wondering if maybe Ky really is her perfect match. She has been told he will never be paired with anyone because he's a Aberation - a person who has committed (or a relative has committed) some infraction of the law and has been deemed unmatchable.

I gave this one 4 out of 5 stars. Would have liked to have learned more about the society and it's workings.

message 41: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5)  by Laurell K. Hamilton
32. Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Anita and Larry, her apprentice, are called to raise some Zombies that are a couple hundred years old. The hope is that some light will be shed on who was buried on the top of a hill. The results will determine who will have the rights to the land. Also, a vampire has been busy in the surrounding neighborhood killing young boys. Anita will have her hands full dealing with greedy land owners, rogue vampires, and Jean-Claude who just never seems to give up on her. Go figure. Also added to the mix is a unseelie fae who owns the restaurant Bloody Bones (Gosh doesn't that name just make you want to go out and eat there? lol). I keep having to remind myself this series came before a lot of my other favorite parnormal/urban fantasy books. I, Lisarenee, am an offical fan of Laurell K. Hamilton. :)

I give this one 5 out of 5 stars.

message 42: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6) by Laurell K. Hamilton
33. The Killing Dance by Laurell K. Hamilton

The killing dance:
"The lukoi call sex the killing dance."
"So?"
"We use the same phrase for battles of succession."
"I still don't understand the problem."
He stared at me. "You will. God help us both. You will."

A hit has been put out on Anita and nobody know who put the contract out on her. Edward let Anita know she had a price on her head and warned her. Someone wants her dead within 24 hours and is willing to pay an enormous amount to make that happen.

"The great Jean-Claude driven to celibacy by a human. People are laughing behind your back."
"Celibacy?" I asked.
Jean-Clause glanced at me, then sighed. "Until you give up your nunnish ways, ma petite, I am playing the Monk."
Page 123 of hardback

Anita, Anita! Remember the song "Torn between two lovers, feelin' like a fool
Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules......"(Yes, that's the song that was playing in my head as I read this book. Well FINALLY Anita realized the truth in Mary MaCGREGOR's lyrics and choose one of her men. Whether or not it's the right one? Well, only time will tell. Oh, and I'm not telling which she chose, you'll just have to read the book to find out. ;)

Another fun fact:
"Vampires are given powers in folklore and popular myth that we do not possess: controlling weather, shapeshifting into animals. Necromancers are supposedly able to control all types of undead." page 125 Hardback

I loved this one and it get 5 out of 5 stars from me.

Did anyone but me notice the Vegetarian Vampire reference?????

------------ Notable Side Note -------------------------

I had the Hardback copy of this book. In it Hamilton goes into a long explanation of why she decided to let Anita give up her moral view on waiting to have sex before marriage. Hamilton was going through a difficult time in her marriage and although she waited to have sex until after marriage her views changed afterward. She made a statement that what happens if the couples sexual appetites are not the same? Also, she stated Anita's opinion of vampires in the beginning of the series were a lot like that of her husband's. Kind of interesting. If you can find a copy you should read the afterword.

message 43: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs
34.River Marked by Patricia Briggs
"My life used to be normal," I told his shoulder. "I got up. Went to work. Fixed a few cars, paid a few bills, and no one tried to kill me. My father was dead; my mother was six hours away by car-I could even manage to make that trip last eight or nine hours if I worked at it."

"Argued with your back-fence neighbor," Adam said, his voice very gentle.

"And watched him when he wasn't looking," I agreed. "Because every once in a while, especially after a full moon hunt, he'd forget that I could see in the dark, and he'd run around naked in the backyard."

"He laughed silently. "I never forgot you could see in the dark," he admitted. page 212

Well, I for one am glad Mercy's life isn't boring. lol

"There was once a place where a band of Indians lived. 'Don't go to that village; they are marked by the river,' the people would say. 'If you go there, you will not come back. They will feed you to the river.' All the people of that village wore a brown mark on their bodies, and obeyed the hungry river in all things." Page 180

A creature lurks in the water of the Columbia Gorge. It preys on people. If it doesn't eat you it'll mark you as it's own. You'll be River Marked.

In this one Mercy and Adam will need to figure out what is killing the people in the water of the Columbia Gorge. River Marked is jammed packed with a lot of things fans (like me) have been waiting for. *jumps up and down and does a happy dance* Mercy gets married and finds out a about her heritage and father, and meets a man who is and isn't her father.

I gave this one 4 out of paw prints, er, stars.

A Bonus for everyone:
A link to the Maryhill Museum of Art website:
http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/do.html...

Picture of "She Who Watches" mentioned in the book:

Picture of Stonehenge (on Maryhill) in Goldendale, Washington:

Picture of Horsethief Lake:

message 44: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost
34.This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Cat's mixed heritage (half vampire before her change) has once again been called into question. The powers she's yielded as a newly made vamp have caused quite a stir in both the Vampire and Ghoul worlds. Once again Cat is made a target by those that have no tolerance for what they don't understand. Apollyon, the leader of the deadly crusade, has set his sites on killing Cat for the second time. I guess he lives by the adage, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". With Cat and Bones still adjusting to Cat's crazy feeding habits and power syphoning abilities, it's really an inconvenience they could live without. Luckily, they still find time for each other...

"I love your hands," he sighed. "You think I look like an angel? Well, Kitten, your hands are my heaven and your eyes are my home."

I found this story very fun. It had the return of Timmie, her former neighbor in college. It had a mention or cameo of just about every character we've come to love in her books. It has action and drama and some love scenes between Cat and Bones.

I give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

message 45: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3) by Robyn DeHart
35. Treasure Me by Robyn DeHart
Graeme Langford, Duke of Rothmore, has been searching for the Stone of Destiny for years. It's one of the four gems which make up a grouping known as the Kingmaker. Legend has it that anyone who possesses all four stones and is worthy shall be made king. The last thing on his mind was acquiring a wife...

Vanessa Pembrooke sees everything in a very scientific manner. She picked her fiance based on qualities she felt would make the best match and allow her to continue her career. Passion and love being emotions too frivolous to be included in her equation. When she catches her sister and fiance in the throws of passion two days before her wedding, she decides to pursue her scientific endeavors on her own. Marriage be damned she decided she didn't need a man. Her first quest, to prove the existence of the Loch Ness Monster. She once again, however, miscalculates and finds herself in an unsavory situation. When a handsome stranger steps in to rescue her the two find themselves accidentally wed. Sometimes the best things in life are those that are unplanned and unexpected. A very fun read.

I gave this one 4 out of 5 stars.

I got this one free from a Goodreads First reads giveaway.

message 46: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead

36. Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Rose and her fellow students are close to graduation and are their skills are being put to the test. The teachers are staging mock attacks to see how the student's do in a surprise situation. They are given Moroi to protect and when Rose doesn't end up being Lissa's bodyguard, she protests. It's no wonder when she fails to protect her Moroi, Christian, that people suspect she did so on purpose. What they don't realize is that Rose saw Mason. Now she has to figure out if she's losing her mind or this is another side affect of being shadow kissed. Very fun read, but again someone will be lost in this one.

I really enjoyed this one. I think this is one of my favorites thus far. I gave it 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

message 47: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 14, 2011 08:02AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lust (The Sins and The Virtues #1) by Charlotte Featherstone

37. Lust by Charlotte Featherstone
Hundreds of years ago a Seelie Queen was held against her will by an Unseelie King. In her quest for vengeance she placed a curse in the form of a spell on the Unseelie court's royal male offspring, her own son included. They would each be cursed with a cardinal sin that would overpower them. Their only chance of breaking their bonds to the sin and the curse would be to find their virtuous counterparts in the form of a mortal females who would willingly come to the Unseelie court and give themselves freely to the Dark Fey Princes. For if they cannot break the curse eventually the the Unseelie court will wither and die.

"There is but one hope for the court-to find the seven women who represent the virtuous aspects of humanity. Seven women who embody chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness and humility. Women whose very being calls to the sins deeply buried in each prince, sins that are eager to corrupt through erotic pleasure, their virtues."

Every hundred years there is another chance to break the curse and the Virtues have just come of age. This is the story of Thane, the Dark Fey Prince and holder of the cardinal sin Lust, and Chastity, holder of the virtue of Chastity. They say opposites attract and this story is no exception.

A fun little story with some questions left to be answered. Featherstone is an romance writer that just goes south of the border into the erotic territory. The only thing I was unsure of was the business with the ears. Just had me scratching my head. Also, I wondered why give the female "Virtues" the names of the Virtues they uphold yet not give the Dark Fey Princes the names of the cardinal sins they possess? Seemed a little odd to me, but I figure the author has her reasons. Perhaps it's because the Fey are cursed?

For those of you who dislike the use of F@ck and other such words they are used in this one.

message 48: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 14, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole
38. Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole
Years ago Regin met the love of her life and lost him. He vowed that nothing could keep him from her not even death and he would find her again. True to his word every hundred years or so Aidan is reborn and finds Regin only to loose his life once more....

Locked in a facility of the Order (a group of mortals set on exterminating immortals) is the last place Regin expects to find her long lost love. This reincarnation, however, has created a version of Aidan which hates all immortals. In his words, "The only good immortal is a dead immortal." Now Regin must help Declan/Aidan remember who she is and his past lives before he does something he'll regret the rest of his life - killing her.

I love Cole's stories. She has a fun sense of humor that makes you smile as you read her books. Drama, humor, and of course romance are all included in this one. If you love the series this one will not disappoint. I gave this one 5 out of 5 stars.

For those of you who dislike the use of F@ck and other such words they are used in this one, but not overly so.

message 49: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Countess (Madison Sisters, #1) by Lynsay Sands
39. The Countess by Lynsay Sands
Christiana entered her marriage in good faith. She thought herself in love with her husband, Dicky. Only the man she thought she married was only a fantasy. The true man was revealed after the "I Do's" and the harsh reality that she would not have a happily ever after set in. When her sisters come to her for help after their father once again gambles away the family savings, she fears her husband's reaction. The plan they devise is for one of her sisters to wed to get access to her inheritance and use it to pay off the debt. Only hours later, however, Dicky is dead. Thinking of postponing the morning period so her sister can find a suitable husband to pay off their father's debt, the sisters decide to keep the body on ice a couple of days. While at a ball that very night, however, the real Earl (Richard) shows up and that is when all the fun starts. Turns out Dicky was Richard's twin brother George.

Very fun read that had me laughing and smiling. I always know Lynsay Sand's historical romances will put me in a good mood. Her humor may not be for everyone (although I don't know why *smirk*) but I absolutely love it. I gave this one 5 out of 5 stars

message 50: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder
40.Storm Glass by Maria V. Snyder
"There is a reason for everything. You might not be able to figure it out, and time might have made us all forget it, but the reason is there all the same."

"Life is like molten glass. It flows, it's flexible, it can be molded and shaped and...what do you say? Ah, yes. It holds vast potential. You have a number of uncertainties in your melt right now. But they will always be there in one form or another. Always. Unlike molten glass, life can't be fixed or frozen into a pretty vase and placed on a shelf to gather dust."

Something is wrong with the Stormdancers' glass orbs. Being the "glass Magician" Opal (from Fire Study) is called upon to see if she can determine the source of the problem. When a glass orb breaks the life of a Stormdancer is lost. The Stormdancers harvest the power of storms thereby weakening them so they will cause less damage. If the Stormdancers can't perform their tasks lives will be lost. As Opal and Zitora investigate the problem Opal's own life becomes endangered.

Romance, murder, mystery and a dose of humor are in this one. Read the Study series first so you know who everyone is and have a better understanding of the world Snyder has created. If you love the Study series this is a must read. Yelena makes a brief appearance as do Ari and Janco.

« previous 1 3