Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Books I just got in the mail/bought/checked out

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,353 (2353 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48

Peep (Pop! Pop!) So, I just wanted to start a thread where we could happily tell others about the books we just got. I think mail/store/library encompasses it all, don't you think? I didn't include "stole" because you should know better!

Without further ado, I present to you:

THE BOOKS I JUST GOT FROM INTERLIBRARY LOAN TODAY!!

Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Runny Babbit A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein A Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Did you get Sleeping Freshman on audio Peep?

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I just checked out Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) by Patrick Ness . Hell yeah!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi I wrote: "Did you get Sleeping Freshman on audio Peep?"

No, and I could have sworn I requested it on audio now that you mentioned it. Booger. Oh well, I'll just read it in an entertaining voice, how's that?

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "Heidi I wrote: "Did you get Sleeping Freshman on audio Peep?"

No, and I could have sworn I requested it on audio now that you mentioned it. Booger. Oh well, I'll just read it in an entertaining vo..."

I hope it is as good :( If you don't like it you can blame your library for not getting the audio!

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Let me know about Warrior Heir. I have the audiobook in my wishlist on netlibrary.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I will! I read her other book, the Demon King and liked that. Nowhere near as good as Finnikin, but I still liked it. Sigh... Finnikin.

message 8: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Olson (tabithaolson) | 53 comments I got ARCs of Sapphique and Matched in the mail not too long ago. I'm looking forward to them.

I also checked out Poison Study, The Boyfriend List, Bones of Faerie, and Princess for Hire from the library. I have much reading to do. :)

message 9: by Evelina C (last edited Oct 14, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Evelina C (evelinaguekguezian) | 18 comments I love THE BOYFRIEND LIST. Ruby Oliver is a funny, unique, intelligent, complex teenager. I own the first three books in this series and have decided to try the Kindle edition of the fourth and final installment coming in December.

I just finished I AM NUMBER. I'm glad this was a library book and not one I purchased. The story is ok. I don't know if I'll see the upcoming feature film, but I'll probably borrow book two from the library.
The Boyfriend List 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1) by E. Lockhart Real Live Boyfriends Yes. Boyfriends, plural. If my life weren't complicated, I wouldn't be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4) by E. Lockhart I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore

message 10: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Tabitha wrote: "I got ARCs of Sapphique and Matched in the mail not too long ago. I'm looking forward to them.

I also checked out Poison Study, The Boyfriend List, Bones of Faerie, and Princess for Hire from t..."

Hey, I got Matched as well. It's bigger than I thought! I was promised ARC's from another company but sadly it doesn't look like they're coming. I'm bummed because they were good ones too.

message 11: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Evelina C wrote: "I love THE BOYFRIEND LISTThe Boyfriend List 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1) by E. Lockhart. Ruby Oliver is a funny, unique, intelligent, complex teenager. ..."

I have not heard good things about I am Number Four. I had it on my tbr list but took it off after all the low reviews. It's going to be made into a movie though, or at least the movie is already made. My hubby and I saw a trailer for it.

message 12: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (jessiebz) | 10 comments haha i love book splurges! i just got Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Dark Flame (The Immortals, #4) by Alyson Noel Take Me There by Susane Colasanti

i have to stop myself otherwise i'll be leaving B&N broke!

message 13: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments i did a big splurge right before summer started, 5 books for 25 on amazon i love finding the good deals!

message 14: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I liked Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater alot!

My copy of Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta came today.

The next books I'm getting will be.
The Child Thief by Brom The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Yeah Wendy! Finnikin rocks (get it...rocks!)

message 16: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Olson (tabithaolson) | 53 comments I really liked the concept of I Am Number Four, but there were several elements that I didn't like. It got too slow at times, and I was wishing for more information. Which I'm guessing we'll get in the next book, but still...

message 17: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi I wrote: "Yeah Wendy! Finnikin rocks (get it...rocks!)"

:D (I liked it!)

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I got Finnikin from the library last week and haven't gotten into it yet. I did read Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta by Melina Marchetta. It was good, not her best, but I liked it a lot. I am trying to get a hold of a copy of The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta by Melina, but I can't even get it on ILL. grrrr. I just requested a copy of The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness , I heard it's really good.

message 19: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (jessiebz) | 10 comments Ottilie wrote: "i did a big splurge right before summer started, 5 books for 25 on amazon i love finding the good deals!"

wow!!!! thats a steal!!! i have to start doin that... :P

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments amazon does this thing if you spend 25 or more you get free shipping, some of the books can be as cheap as a penny, I have fun searching for sales on there, my wallet has a love hate for it on the other hand...

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I just got Finnikin from the library yesterday. I haven't cracked the cover yet, but I'm excited to.

message 22: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Oct 15, 2010 06:19PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I see a lot of people getting Finn but nobody is reading, what's the deal? :P

Oh, and the Pipers Son is not out in the US until March.
My reading plan is to go from YA, Paranormal/fantasy, to adult serious. I've got a few of those I plan to read. Rinse, repeat. Though, I might have to switch to strictly novellas if I want to reach my goal for the year :P

message 23: by Wendy F (last edited Oct 15, 2010 06:32PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm in the middle of Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate . Then I'm supposed to read Love and War (North and South, #2) by John Jakes , but I may end up with Finnikin first.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Amanda I loved Knife of Never Letting Go - I hope to read book three in the series this week. p.s. It is a weird book at the start, but stick with it.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 16 comments I just got the Absoultely true Diary of a part time Indian. I also have City of Ember to read from the library.

message 26: by Evelina C (last edited Oct 15, 2010 10:44PM) (new)

Evelina C (evelinaguekguezian) | 18 comments Last month I read Unwind and Bruiser by Neal Shusterman. I'd never read anything by him before I heard him speak on a YA fantasy/scifi panel at Comic-Con. I really liked both books and would consider buying Bruiser. I'm on the library list for Everlost. Has anyone read the Skinjacker trilogy? I hear good things about it.

By the way, Neal Shusterman is a very nice guy--smart, funny and humble.

message 27: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I LOVE the first two books in the Everlost trilogy. I don't think the third one is out yet though.

message 28: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments The third book comes out in June 2011!!! I smell a birthday gift...

Neil Shusterman put out some tid-bits on his blog about the third book just in case anyone is interested. I made me want to read it even more. He's becoming one of my favorite authors.

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Katie wrote: "I just got the Absoultely true Diary of a part time Indian. I also have City of Ember to read from the library."

I liked the True Diary - I listened to it on audio and the author was the narrator :)

message 30: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I have True Diary on my TBR list too.

I just got The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan .

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Peep wrote: "I see a lot of people getting Finn but nobody is reading, what's the deal? :P

Oh, and the Pipers Son is not out in the US until March.
My reading plan is to go from YA, Paranormal/fantasy, to adul..."

Don't worry Peep, I cracked it last night. 50 pages in and I'm still trying to figure things out, but I'm liking what I'm getting thus far.

message 32: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Good, good, good. It only gets better as you learn what's going on.

message 33: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (evelinaguekguezian) | 18 comments Becca wrote: "The third book comes out in June 2011!!! I smell a birthday gift...

Neil Shusterman put out some tid-bits on his blog about the third book just in case anyone is interested. I made me want to read..."

Thanks for the update! I've come late to this trilogy, but it will be nice to read all three books in less than a year.

message 35: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I was at the store today and I was bummed when they had Mortal Instruments books 2 and 3 but not 1!

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Wow that's a lot of books!

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (snugshelf) Evelina, I really enjoyed Everlost. :) I'd definitely recommend it. And the sequel's (Everwild) just as good.

Catherine, I've got about that number from my library too haha. I tend to get out more than I can read, but I've made a pretty good dent. :)

Wendy, my library is like that sometimes. What's the point in having the sequels if you don't have the first one??

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Well that would explain why I can't find The Pipers Son anywhere....I have pleanty of other books to keep me company.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Oooh, Catherine what a selection! I also have Beautiful Creatures. I can recommend Uglies, it's a very interesting series!!

message 40: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Amanda wrote: "Evelina, I really enjoyed Everlost. :) I'd definitely recommend it. And the sequel's (Everwild) just as good.

Catherine, I've got about that number from my library too haha. I tend to get out more..."

It was very frustrating! I really want to read those books too. They even had Clockwork Angel.

message 41: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Finally bought Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow off Amazon!! As a reward to myself for handing in my dissertation (or at least that was my excuse). Now I can read them whenever the hell I want, yay!

And I love that we have a thread purely for rejoicing over the acquisition of new books.. :D

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Shadow (Shadow Series, #1) by Orson Scott Card

message 42: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I just get so excited when I get them, I knew I couldn't be the only one. Joy, pure joy!

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 18, 2010 09:36AM) (new)

I just went abit crazy and ordered a few books...

The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) by Kelley Armstrong The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson Spy Glass (Glass, #3) by Maria V. Snyder Inside Out (Inside Out, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Les Misérables by Victor Hugo Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) by Tamora Pierce Warriors Boxed Set (Books 1-3) by Erin Hunter The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms Dark Elf Trilogy, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #1-3) by R.A. Salvatore

.....yea.....

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi A little crazy Louise? Yowza!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Yea i know...but i just got paid, and there are to many books to read...

message 46: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (evelinaguekguezian) | 18 comments Have any of you been in the situation where you read the first book in a series only to discover that your library system(mine draws from over 120 branches in 7 counties!!), doesn't have book 2?

This summer I read The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker(5 stars) then found out that book 2, The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parkerwasn't available in my libraries. Of course, I couldn't wait for an ILL so I bought the book from Amazon. I don't mind owning the book, but now I want book 1! Crazy, huh?

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #1) by Leanna Renee Hieber The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #2) by Leanna Renee Hieber

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) LOL, my library never has book two, once we had book one and seven but not the others :)

Today I borrowed from my library:
Pastworld by Ian Beck Claire De Lune by Christine Johnson The Thornthwaite Inheritance by Gareth P. Jones Diary of a Wimpy Vampire The Undead Have Feelings Too by Tim Collins

I recently went to a talk with Gareth P Jones speaking and he was awesome, can't wait to read some of his books :)

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Louise wrote: "Yea i know...but i just got paid, and there are to many books to read..."

Hey, never apologize for book love!

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi That happens all the time at my library Evelina, I am too cheap - I just wait for the ILL copy!

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori (tyme2read) I got in in the mail today...... I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia
I started I Heart You, You Haunt Me already and it is going to be a very quick read.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48