Start by marking “The Testing (The Testing #1)” as Want to Read:
The Testing (The Testing #1)

The Testing

(The Testing #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  49,926 ratings  ·  6,006 reviews
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Isn’t that what they say? But how close is too close when they may be one and the same?

The Seven Stages War left much of the planet a charred wasteland. The future belongs to the next generation’s chosen few who must rebuild it. But to enter this elite group, candidates must first pass The Testing—their one chance at a coll
Published August 1st 2013 by Templar Publishing (first published June 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Testing, please sign up.
Mvm2407 If you remember when they first arrive she describes the cold and uninviting look of the building. She also describes the adults attempt to hide the…moreIf you remember when they first arrive she describes the cold and uninviting look of the building. She also describes the adults attempt to hide the grim look of the building by the landscaping and the beautiful flowers. I think the adults are trying to do the same thing they realize that the entrance looks dismal and add chairs to give the impression that things will be normal inside. But Cia notices right off the bat that they are just staged and never used. (less)

Mitch
I think I’ve read The Testing at least four different times in the past year - without actually ever having heard of this book. With the success of The Hunger Games, every new dystopian - and gosh darn it there are so many of them now - is being marketed as The Hunger Games meets this or The Hunger Games meets that, but never in a million years would I have suspected I’d read one so blatantly unoriginal that it’s not The Hunger Games meets anything, it’s just The Hunger Games - rehashed, ripped ...more
Jamie
I loved this book! An amazing dystopian novel that is very realistic and believable. One of the best heroines I have read about in recent years. and a world that, while devastated, is one I almost wish I could visit to see what it it like. Lucky for readers, Joelle Charbonneau does a wonderful job in her deliverance of this world to us.

This book is a first person novel from the view of Cia. Cia is a young teen who is specially selected to join in The Testing. The Testing is about selecting futu
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
Why haven't I heard more about this book? I started this book this morning and didn't put it down. Even when I had things to do I carried it with me. That's my test for a great read.

The Seven Stages of War have happened and it's left our world in pretty much shambles. There are some communities that have started the rebuilding process and then we have the Testing. The Testing is when the students finish their schooling, they may stand a chance of being called for the Testing and it's their only
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I'm still staggering a little from reading this book, but in the very best way. I don't even know how I will formulate a reasonable review without resorting to squealing "OH MY GOD YOU GUISE THIS IS SO GOOD READ IT NOW." But here goes nothing.

YA dystopian is an incredibly difficult category to write, it seems. So many books have attempted to create a likeable, believable character in a well-built, post-apocalyptic, post-infection, or post-war setting. Most have failed, and failed spectacularly.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It’s hard to review a book that made you feel nothing at all. I am an emotional reader, and although I sometimes make halfhearted attempts at objectivity, my reviews generally reflect my emotional reactions, just as it should be. But even though I raced through The Testing and found nothing wrong with it objectively speaking, it didn’t move me one way or the other. Sometimes, a seemingly flawless book can disappoint more than a severely flawed, yet heartfelt read.

Cia’s world is textbook dystopi
Aj the Ravenous Reader

"Things don't always work out the way we hope. You just have to pick yourself up and find a new direction to go in."

I have never made a proper review on this book when this is one of those that really deserves one so here’s an attempt to make one.^^

I usually find it unfair when readers would easily dismiss every single dystopian story written after the Hunger Games as exactly like the Hunger Games (HG). Although this may have similar patterns to that of the Classic HG, the Testing is an orig
Rose
Initial reaction: I'm less than impressed with "The Testing." It started off intriguing enough, but as the story continued, I think the quality of it devolved and I couldn't suspend my disbelief with respect to many elements that came across and unraveled at the seams as it continued on. The story did have some interesting points, but never came to fruition with them as the emotional quality of the story and characterizations missed their mark.

Full review:

I'm going to avoid direct comparisons wi
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
4 Stars for The Testing

Yes, The Testing has similarities to Divergent and The Hunger Games but it's just different enough to set it apart and strong enough to make it's own name in the vast YA Dystopian category.

About the Book:
The world has been ravaged by The Seven Stages War. The United Commonwealth is trying to re-build with the help of a few chosen students. Cia has worked hard in school to be "chosen" as a candidate for The Testing so that she can attend the University. Unfortunatel
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I received an finished copy of this book from the publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

2 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below).
Click HERE to watch my review on my YouTube channel LovingDemBooks

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but beca
Katy
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The dystopian phenomenon has really taken off, possibly rivaling the vampire craze. And of course, I'm a huge fan of the genre who loves just about every book. But never have I felt that one was a failed attempt to duplicate The Hunger Games.

The selection process into the official contest, the rounds of training or in this case what felt like the pretest, the being thrown into an "arena" and going around killing to be among the survival of the fittest, the recording and monitoring system (what w
Krys
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hunger Games Fans

The Testing is the first book in a new Dystopian trilogy by Joelle Charbonneau. This is her first time writing for the Young Adult market.

The Seven Stages War ravaged much of the United States and now the leaders have issued a challenge for choosing potential leaders - The Testing. The Testing is something that many children aspire to but few achieve. Cia lives in an outlying colony called Five Lakes in what remains of the country. She has worked her whole life with one goal in mind - to be chos
Rachel Maniacup
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Sarah
**I was about to type my review on this book after rating it but the power here in our country suddenly went off(again),due to another big typhoon that hit our poor country(again).Not only that the power shut down for 2 days,but the commodities shot uphill as well.And now that the power has just been restored,it's the water service we've lost this time!Oh my! Thank God,we're all okay and could still manage to smile inspite of all these calamity.**

Sorry for my tragic introduction,just can't help
Kelly Brigid
description

Ahhh, why can't all young adult dystopias be like this?! As you may have noticed in my review for Matched, I think YA dystopias are pretty hard to write. The Testing was so often compared to The Hunger Games and Divergent that I couldn't help but draw similarities between them, as I was reading it. Though the Tests are somewhat similar to Dauntless Initiation and The Hunger Games, it's wholly unique and it's own. The pace is excellent, Cia is a an awesome protagonist (who isn't a Mary Sue), th
Jon
Seen at my blog, Scott Reads It!
I have absolutely zero self control when it comes to dystopian books. I just have this urge to read any dystopian book I can get my hands on and often I end up extremely disappointed. So many authors are trying to capitalize off the success of The Hunger Games and so their books turn out to be very mediocre. The Testing is essentially a wanna-be, it tries so hard to be the next Hunger Games yet it ultimately fails.

The Testing is about a test that will determine
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
All the living want to do is care for the dead. And now they, too, are among the fallen.

For those of you who aren't interested in the entire review, here's a recap:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There.
If that's not exhaustive enough for you, lemme give you all the details.
Like I've said in one of my first reading updates, this reads exactly like something randomly picked from The Hunger Games, Divergent, Matched, Legendor The Selection.
It doesn't matter what page or character you pick, it doesn't make much difference bec
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I won this ARC from a blog giveaway, thanks! This has probably been my favorite read in the past few weeks, but I couldn't give it five stars for issues that I couldn't ignore.

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau has been on my list to read for a long time. It's been compared to the Hunger Games, and stars Cia, who is in one of the colonies who have not had any candidates selected for The Testing in a long time. The Testing has been put in place after war has devastated the world to find the best c
Jillian Heise
Review originally posted on Heise Reads & Recommends

First Thought: Oh my goodness! SO good! An engrossing, thrilling, intriguing, suspenseful story set in a well-built future world.

I really enjoyed reading THE TESTING. I was engrossed it in from the start. At first, I was a little worried that it would be too reminiscent of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT, but as I got into it, I realized that it was completely it's own creation of this world, while maybe feeling like an homage to those great
Crystal
I liked the beginning here. For that reason
I feel like something more original could have come for the Main part of the story because it started out that way
The ending also kinda left me wondering how two more books have been written in this series, unless it’s an anthology, since it seems to be going in a cyclical direction. Unsure if I will continue series.
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
Thank you NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this book!

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Most of the world has become a wasteland, and is in need of a new generation of leaders to piece society back together. But in order to become part of this group of future leaders, a select few teens are required to pass the Testing.

Cia Vale is thrilled when she is selected as a candidate. But before she leaves, her father––a former participant of the Testing––gives her an ominous warning, hinting that there i
AH
Update 12/4/13 This book is free on Amazon today.

Initial thoughts: 3.5-4.0 stars. Despite my reservations, I did enjoy this book and while there are parallels to The Hunger Games (2nd half of the book), it is a solid start to the series. I'll definitely be reading on.

My review:
The Testing takes place in a world ravaged by the aftermath of war and a series of natural disasters. Resources are limited: a university education is a highly coveted prize. Each year a group of the most talented studen
Marketa
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Musím se přiznat, že ačkoliv na mě takhle kniha působila trochu jako vykrádačka HG a jiných "soutěžních" příběhů, tak se mi fakt líbila. :) Postavy byly suprově vykreslené, vlastně i "dystopický" svět se povedl (a to já ráda. když to dává smysl). A i přes některá klišé a věci, které mi hlava doteď nebere, se moc těším na další díl!
Mike (the Paladin)
What shall I say here????? I've seen the comparisons between this book and Hunger Games. I suppose that can't be escaped. YA novels tend to run in cycles. After harry Potter dozens of books placed in "magical schools" hit the shelves. Some were good, others not so much.

Now that said...there's actually very little resemblance between this book and Hunger Games other than there is a part of the plot where a group of young people are in a situation where they can end up trying to kill each other.

He
Camly Nguyen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely incredible and what's weird is that I've never heard about his book. I just picked it up randomly in the library and voila! But seriously. This was SOOO GOOOD. It's a lot better than hunger games. It has more action, *a lot* more violence, more interesting tests.

I really loved how the author showed to us that the characters were intelligent even though she never once mentioned the word "smart" in their description. I also really liked it because none of the characters in the book are
Bee
I received an ARC copy of this book from the publishers via Netgalley.

Reading this book you can't help but compare it the The Hunger Games. It's inevitable. But as I read this book and turned each page, one thought came to mind: This is way more awesome then The Hunger Games can ever be! Yes, you read that right. This is way better and so much more awesome then Suzanne Collins' series. Why? I'll tell you why without giving away any spoilers!

Although this story resembles THG, it's different in a
ღ Suus ღ (pages.and.books)
Eindelijk de tijd gevonden om dit boek weer op te pakken en vervolgens in één ruk uitgelezen. Wat een geweldig boek!

Ik moet toegeven dat ik op het begin twijfelde of het niet de hongerspelen kant op zou gaan maar nee uiteindelijk is het toch echt een heel ander verhaal (GELUKKIG). En dus krijgt het boek absoluut 5 sterren van mij.

Ben erg benieuwd wat de volgende delen gaan brengen. Kan nu nog niet inschatten hoe het verder zal gaan. Maar ga deel 2 absoluut snel lezen!
Aleri
En este momento tengo sentimientos encontrados, me gusto pero a la vez siento que le falto algo, ojala y en los que sigue mejore porque las ideas de la autora me han gustado.
Diana Torales
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Por un lado pienso que no llega a las 3 estrellas. Espero que cuando haga la reseña ponga en orden mis ideas y pueda ponerle una puntuación definitiva.
Por otro lado solo voy a decir que es demasiado drama y que es thg con otro nombre.
Larnacouer  de SH
Birbirini tekrarlayan distopyalar okumaktan fenalık geldi yemin ederim. Bölüm atlar gibi yazılan finale ne demeli peki?

YAZAR: Kitabı beğenmedin mi, madem burada keseyim devamını okumak zorunda kal. *kötü karakter gülüşü*

BEN: *göz deviren emoji* *surat asan emoji* *bıçak emojisi* A#D1HJ2AKS#GSHA@8?!

Resmen şov ya. Git allasen.
Kiera
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book really suprised me. I had heard some very different things about this book some good and some bad so going into this book I didn't really know what I would get out of it. This book is the perfect mix of suspence and action and a bit of romance.
I really liked Tomas's character and how Cia is so caring and she takes care of Tomas. It is really sweet and how even though she could have left him to die she didn't she chose to help him. It was a really nice story and a nice touch to have so
music 1 3 May 18, 2018 01:32PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Testing (The Testing #1) by Joelle Charbonneau - Restarting April 20th 2018 33 198 Apr 04, 2018 04:51AM
Test Post 1 4 Jan 29, 2018 02:37PM
Similar or Not? 15 83 Oct 05, 2017 04:45PM
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • A Matter of Days
  • Gated (Gated, #1)
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • Stung (Stung, #1)
  • In the After (In the After, #1)
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Half Lives
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • Orleans
I am a storyteller at heart. I have performed in a variety of operas, musical theatre and children's theatre productions across the Chicagoland area.

While I'm happy to perform for an audience, I am equally delighted to teach private voice lessons and use my experience from the stage to create compelling characters on the page. I am the author of the Rebecca Robbins mystery series (Minotaur Books)

The Testing (3 books)
  • Independent Study (The Testing, #2)
  • Graduation Day (The Testing, #3)
“Things don't always work out the way we hope. You just have to pick yourself up and find a new direction to go in.” 164 likes
“The best leaders make mistakes and then learn from them. The best leaders never make the same mistakes again. The only way you can learn is if you understand the mistakes that were made.” 40 likes