Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Books I just got in the mail/bought/checked out

Comments (showing 351-400 of 2,397) (2397 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 95 comments I just pre-ordered Awakened, Unearthly, & Fallen Angel!!!! I'm so excited. Woot.

Awakened (House of Night, #8) by P.C. Cast Unearthly by Cynthia Hand Fallen Angel (Fallen Angel, #1) by Heather Terrell

message 352: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Catherine wrote: "I just pre-ordered Awakened, Unearthly, & Fallen Angel!!!! I'm so excited. Woot
..."

Unearthly has a very good rating Catherine, thanks!! I've put it on my ever growing TBR list:)
Cheers

message 353: by Megan (new)

Megan (Mborn) | 34 comments I just ordered The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer for myself and Fatal Alliance (Star Wars The Old Republic, #1) by Sean Williams for hubby.. They should be here wednesday.

Also put Deadly Sanctuary (Kendall O'Dell Mystery series) by Sylvia Nobel in my Nook library

message 354: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 13 comments I just got Graceling on audio. Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore It sounds like it'll be great!

message 355: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 95 comments Graceling on audio is AMAZING. My husband & I loved it!!!

message 356: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I brought home The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks, Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price and The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1) by Clay Griffith from the library.

message 357: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I was given some gift cards to Barnes and Noble, so I took advantage of their online after holidays sale. We Think, Therefore We Are by Peter Crowther The Apocalypse Reader by Justin Taylor Summerland by Michael Chabon The Taker by J.M. Steele The Upper Class (Upper Class, #1) by Hobson Brown The Company by K.J. Parker Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card

This sale was awesome. Many of the books were 60-80% off. Invasive Procedures, a hardback, was originally $25.95 and I paid (drumroll) only $3.99 for it.

message 358: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I wish people would get me gift cards for Christmas! My family seems to have an aversion to it.

message 359: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Wendy wrote: "I wish people would get me gift cards for Christmas! My family seems to have an aversion to it."

YES!!! Thank you!! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seriously, I got a set of snowman salt and pepper shakers this year from someone. They were $14.99. I just kept thinking about what book I could have bought instead. I'm not ungrateful, but except for my tree, I don't decorate. The gift was quite unpersonal and defiantely a last minute pick-up. My thought is if your going to get me something, THINK of me when your buying it. If you can't think of anything, then get me a gift card. (Oh, Last year I got a nativity set from the same person...maybe they are trying to tell me something?!?!)

message 360: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) They're telling you to DECORATE, hahaha!

My mom gets me things like a Scrapbook gift set with a bunch of stuff in it. Or a set of hair brushes. They think that gift cards are impersonal. The truth is I would much rather have her put all that money into a Borders card, or even better a Visa gift card so I can just go buy the books I want!

message 361: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I couldn't agree more with the both of you. Please give me gift cards! Especially if you don't know me well, which would be my entire in-law side of the family and apparently my own mother (sad).

message 362: by Amanda (last edited Jan 03, 2011 10:30AM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Becca wrote: "I couldn't agree more with the both of you. Please give me gift cards! Especially if you don't know me well, which would be my entire in-law side of the family and apparently my own mother (sad)."

Ha, a set of hair brushes? That's right up there wiht the pair of red underwear my mother got me with christmas candy print. They were in my stocking. Let me just paint the picture for you.......I am in my upper twenties, married wiht 2 kids. My husband and I go to her house to open gifts, and she hands me my stocking. Yes, I still get a stocking and forever will. I think I'll be 50 and if she's still kickin it I will get a stocking. So I pour it out and it's mostly candy, chapstick and various misc. dollar store items. Then out comes the undies. And mind you, my STEP-dad was sitting there watching me. Ugh. Just weird. Mom, seriously....Red candy undies. My husband got a snicker out of that.

message 363: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It was pretty funny, that's for sure. Oh, and we got a kite too... she tries to be thoughtful.

The best present (meaning worst) we got this year was from my Father-in-law. He bought my 6 year old daughter a Hello Kitty house phone for her room. Except... she HATES Hello Kitty and we don't have a house line!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Ouch Wendy, that's pretty bad.

Amanda, I still get a stocking every year too. I like it that way though. I told my mom once that I didn't care about having a single package to open under the tree as long as I got a stocking Christmas morning from Santa! Which is funny because the stocking stuffers are usually silly things like nail polish, chap stick, etc... but to me there is just something about still having Santa come visit me each year. I love it.

One day I will be that mother giving her kids stockings well into their 50s.

message 365: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) My stockings stopped just before I had a kid.

It's okay though, there's something magical about BEING Santa.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments As to the whole gift card thing, I'll be honest, I refuse to give gift cards out to others. I try really hard to give thoughtful gifts though. I try to put a lot of thought into what I buy others. To me giving a gift card says... "I don't know you at all and have no idea what to buy you, so here's some $$" In my opinion if you don't know a person well enough to pick out a gift for them you probably shouldn't be buying them a Christmas gift to begin with.

Now that being said, there are those who are just awful gift givers, don't have time, etc... It's not anyone's fault, it just is. Also, I always give money as wedding gifts, because I know that's what they really want. So I'm not 100% opposed to the idea.

I don't begrudge others for giving out gift cards, but I gotta be honest, come Christmas morning if all I have is a stack of gift cards I would be disappointed, but I'm not a shopper. That being said, the best gift I got this Christmas was an itunes gift card in my stocking, that and my step-dad bought me a new set of tires for my car before the winter weather hit. Great gift. I couldn't believe it!

message 367: by Wendy F (last edited Jan 03, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) That's what my family says too. That it's not personal, it's easy. And in a way I get that.

But for me, the people who try to buy me something usually get it wrong. Unless they really really know me. My husband knows what to buy me, my oldest sister can always hit it spot on, but pretty much anyone else is going to be a miss, or it's going to be generic. My little sister got me a blanket, but who doesn't love a nice blanket. My mom got me the hairbrush set...

To me a great gift is the one that says 'hey, here is the gift of being able to buy yourself exactly what you want'.

Now, I'll say that one year my mom bought me the Outlander set of books (at the time there were only 5) in hardcover. That was my best gift ever. Then another year she did the same thing with the Clan of the Cave Bear books. But most of the time she gets me what she wants me to have. Like pots and pans. Or a cookbook.

No matter what I always act gracious and thankful. Then I come here to goodreads and complain.

message 368: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Wendy, I'm still snickering over the hairbrushes......

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I think that is a universal mother rule. This year my mother got me some nice dressy clothes that I will never wear because she wants me to look nicer (and find a man). I work at an ice rink. Dressing up is not encouraged and I'm definitely not dressing up on my day off.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Wow. These gifts sounds more like white elephant gifts! Perhaps you should give them as WE gifts next year :)

message 371: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I love White Elephant, haha. That's what I do alot of the time.

Brittany, that is hilarious! Your mom sounds like my mom. She does the same thing to me too. She goes to thrift stores and buys me long dresses and knitted thingies. Too funny.

This year she got my HUSBAND a wok. He loves to cook, me not so much.

message 372: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments You ladies have seriously made me laugh this morning - red candy knickers in a xmas stocking, what a crack up, it wasn't some sort of payback was it!!LOL

My mum is renowned for giving presents that are age inappropriate or things she's stuffed in her draw throughout the year, especially products from Avon (not saying that there's anything wrong with Avon) just that it's a bit predictable & not personal.
But the best and most unforgettable gift for me was given to me by my sister in a Kris Kringle which was the first attempt our family had at it (large family of 11 kids & trying to be sensible about gift giving at xmas)and it will be the last!! My sister gave me a pair of sewing scissors, mind you they're great scissors but quite demoralising when you open the only present you're going to get & they're scissors, come on!!!
But red candy knickers in a stocking that takes the cake!!!!

message 373: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments I'm not into giving gift cards unless I really don't know the person well enough to be more thoughtful. However I would have gladly accepted a amazon gift card from my aunt this year instead I got a Rachel Ray cookbook - I love to cook but I hate Rachel Ray!

message 374: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments The reason I prefer gift cards over anything else (except from my husband) is that the gifts, even when thought about are usually demorilizing or completely ridiculous.

For example, my mother has gotten me clothes every year for everything (Christmas, birthday, anniversary, etc.) and while the style is usually something I would at least wear around the house, the sizes she gets puts me in mind of an elephant. Every time she hands me a new package I pray she's listened to me about my actual size and not decided I'm fatter than I really am. And I'm the only one of her six daughters she does this to. Why do you have to buy me the XXL size when I wear a medium? I'm only one size larger than the rest of the girls, not an enormous walking tent!

And my in-laws are stuck somewhere in the seventies or eighties with their gift choices. Really freaking ridiculous. I got a money jar for Christams...just give me the money you wasted on this ridiculousness and I'll buy something I really want! I don't need more junk cluttering up my house because there is no where to put it! My MIL did give me a belgian waffle iron for Christmas this year, which I'm happy about, but it's such a cheap no-name variety that I'll probably be replacing it in a couple of years. Oh well, she tried harder this year than she has the past five.

message 375: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Jan 03, 2011 08:09PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments This year I picked out all my presents online and emailed the links to my family and I tell you what, I had the best Christmas ever! My dad was still sulking about it at Christmas because "there was no suprise about it", but who the heck cares when you are almost 40 years old (which I may, or may not be!). Give me what I want please. I am all about practicality.

message 376: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Becca wrote: " I got a money jar for Christams...just give me the money you wasted on this ridiculousness and I'll buy something I really want!..."

OMG that's so funny!!

message 377: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments Heidi I love you - i told everyone that was what I was going to do (universal wish list) but never actually got around to it. You are my hero!

message 378: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I think clothing should be banned from christmas/birthday presents lists, unless it's something you've specifically asaked for. It's so hard to find correct sizing and style. My mother got me a ZEBRA printed Snuggie for my birthday, which is in July. I was thinking to myself, WTH? it's 95 degrese out and you got me a blanket with arms.

Still snickering about the hairbrushes, I really don't know why I find it so funny. I guess I could totally see me mother doing it and knowing someone else's mother would do it too makes me smile. Hairbrushes.....

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Here's my funny story of the year. My family lives far away so all my gifts were sent in the mail from my family because I couldn't get down there for the holiday. So I open one of my gifts and I see a cabela's camping lantern. And I LOVE to camp so I am super stoked about this gift. Then I'm on the phone talking with my mom and person who sent me the camping lantern is in the room. She starts asking all these questions about it like if it makes I lot of noise, etc... Then I get really confused. I say, "No, you got me the camping lantern remember why would that make noise?" Then I am told to open the box. It's not a camping lantern at all... it's a pair of Santa slippers that have jingle bells literally attached to the toes. She was just using the box so she could wrap it. So now, even though I love slippers I can't wear then because I refuse to be a walking jingle bell and I didn't even get the lantern, which was the gift I was most excited about!!

message 380: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Brittany wrote: "Here's my funny story of the year. My family lives far away so all my gifts were sent in the mail from my family because I couldn't get down there for the holiday. So I open one of my gifts and I..."

That's funny!

message 381: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Oh Brittany I had a naughty thought about what was in that box! LOL
Glad it was just slippers ha ha.
Ok I'm off to the naughty corner, again!!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Wendy wrote: "Brittany, that is hilarious! Your mom sounds like my mom. She does the same thing to me too. She goes to thrift stores and buy..."

Don't get me wrong, I love my mom and I know she wants grandkids someday, but I work with kids. I don't need then in my house. I've got about 300 she can have. And I'm only 25 for crying out loud I don't need to get married tomorrow!

Although worse than that... I have a friend who actually got lingerie from her mother-in-law to be at her bridal shower. The word awkward has never been more appropriate. You get that from friends... not your future mother-in-law.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Carmel wrote: "Oh Brittany I had a naughty thought about what was in that box! LOL
Glad it was just slippers ha ha.
Ok I'm off to the naughty corner, again!!"

Get your mind out of the gutter.

message 384: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Brittany wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Brittany, that is hilarious! Your mom sounds like my mom. She does the same thing to me too. She goes to thrift stores and buy..."

Don't get me wrong, I love my mom and I know she..."

Reminds me of my bridal shower. My sister had everyone bring a pair of underwear they'd choose for me and I had to pick who brought them. The game would have been fun, except it was all family. I had to guess what pair my grandma bought me. ugh. Thankfully my mother-in-law wasn't there. Getting lingere from in-laws is a little creepy.

message 385: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Becca wrote: "The reason I prefer gift cards over anything else (except from my husband) is that the gifts, even when thought about are usually demorilizing or completely ridiculous.

For example, my mother h..."

That's great! My mom does the opposite. I wear a large XL and she insists on buying me mediums! Like what I really want for Christmas is to put on clothes that make me FEEL like a tent.

message 386: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Jan 03, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments This thread is cracking me up! Amanda that story about your shower is HIlarious! Brittany Brittany Brittany you must have a lot of self control! I tear open gift boxes ASAP. I am still a little kid sometimes! I agree with you all NO CLOTHING! My hubby joked that he sure missed his annual sweater from my dad as we fired up our new bluray player :)

message 387: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Jan 03, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Jaimie wrote: "Heidi I love you - i told everyone that was what I was going to do (universal wish list) but never actually got around to it. You are my hero!"

Why thank you Jaimie. Next year you must do it! I plan to make it a tradition now. I am so happy with everything - especially my cheesy 80's style popcorn popper. We have had popcorn every night!

message 388: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 135 comments Just borrowed Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly by Gail Carson Levine from the library. I've only read about 19 pages, but I am really loving the book so far. It is really good.

message 389: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) Well, I think my family is trying to tell me something because ALL my gifts were clothes. I got a coat, gloves, hoodie, cardigan and a purse. I think they're trying to tell me to ditch the jeans and t-shirt.

message 390: by [deleted user] (new)

Just bought Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly & Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie the other day. I'm excited about both! =)

message 391: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 95 comments I got my kindle today (as I'm sure everyone already probably knows, because it's all I've talked about today), so I bought: The Amulet: A Faedra Bennett Custodian Novel & The Book Thief. And I got these either for free off of Amazon or off of netgalley; Populazzi, The Betrayal of Maggie Blair, Beasts and BFFs, Found in Translation: an unforgettable mission trip where faith, obedience, and forgiveness intersect., The Vespertine, Lost Voices, & Don't Die, Dragonfly.

The Amulet A Faedra Bennett Custodian Novel by Alison Pensy The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Populazzi by Elise Allen The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird Beasts and BFFs by Shannon Delany Found in Translation an unforgettable mission trip where faith, obedience, and forgiveness intersect. (Altered Hearts) by Roger Bruner The Vespertine (Vespertine, #1) by Saundra Mitchell Lost Voices (Lost Voices, #1) by Sarah Porter Don't Die, Dragonfly by Linda Joy Singleton

message 392: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Wow Catherine, nice swag of books there!!

message 393: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 95 comments Thanks! I'm really excited. :)

message 394: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Carmel wrote: "Wow Catherine, nice swag of books there!!"

Congratulations on your Kindle! And all the books to go with it. I just got paid so I'm heading over to Amazon right now to grab a few for my Kindle.

But first, from Borders today I got three more books! (Yay books!)

Crave (The Fallen Angels, #2) by J.R. Ward Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward Looking for Alaska by John Green

message 395: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Okay, for my kindle I grabbed these two.

The Only Alien on the Planet (Point Hardcover) by Kristen D. Randle Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer

Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!) (booklady2007) | 379 comments I got a few ebooks from B&N Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Torn (Trylle Trilogy, #2) by Amanda Hocking Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1) by Sara Shepard

Actual books bought Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells The Devouring (The Devouring, #1) by Simon Holt

message 397: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Library just emailed. Books I'm picking up today:

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1) by Jessica Day George and On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

message 398: by Priscilla (last edited Jan 08, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

Priscilla | 30 comments Becca wrote:Library just emailed. Books I'm picking up today:

I finished reading Hex Hall earlier this year, its was an interesting read loved the subject matter,although at times it reminded me of Harry Potter,similar theme, storylines etc. Be interesting to hear what you think of it .... Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

message 399: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 95 comments Today I got these in the mail: Disney After Dark & Solid. I got Solid off of this book swap, so imagine my surprise when I find out it's a copy of the book from the author & has a personal note stuck on the cover & an autograph inside the ARC. I was pretty excited! lol

Disney After Dark (The Kingdom Keepers, #1) by Ridley Pearson Solid (Solid, #1) by Shelley Workinger

message 400: by [deleted user] (new)

Damn, nice Cat

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

True History of the Kelly Gang (other topics)
The Warrior Heir (other topics)
Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie (other topics)
Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook (other topics)
A Giraffe and a Half (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Melina Marchetta (other topics)
Scott Westerfeld (other topics)
Gail Carriger (other topics)
Melissa de la Cruz (other topics)
Kami Garcia (other topics)
More...