South African Book Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Epic Challenge: October - December 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Sep 30, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

Lauren Smith This is a new 3-month challenge, for 'epic' reads - books with 500+ pages.

Use this thread to tell us what book(s) you're reading, your page count, and how it's going.

If you're looking for ideas on what to read, here are some lists that might help:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/47...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/31...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/15...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8....

Happy reading!

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Oct 18, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

Lauren Smith I'm hoping to do two, because one of them is a 'small' epic :)

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - 529 pages (Currently reading)
Ilium by Dan Simmons - 752 pages

Progress: 410/1281 pages

message 3: by Lu (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Sep 30, 2010 01:19PM) (new)

Lu (Sugar & Snark) | 12405 comments Mod
Here is what I plan on reading (lol we'll see how it goes)

Inkheart 543 pages
World Without End 1014 pages
The Lord of the Rings (omnibus, want to read again) 1077 pages
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 672 pages
In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner 560 pages
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 835 pages
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin 768 pages
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 533 pages

Will cross them off as I go :)

Page Count:

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith All of them?!

Lol no, but its just to remind myself what there is :)

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I just plan on getting through The Outlander Series. Hopefully I can with this challenge.

Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon I have about 200 pages of this book left.

Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon

I'll try and finish 3 books but will see.

message 8: by Crusader (last edited Oct 03, 2010 10:28AM) (new)

Great Crusader :D you can go in the hall of fame!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (WondrousReadings) I'm going to plan on reading a few books, I don't know how that'll go. Mine are:

Harry Potter and the Deadly Hollows-759pg (finish the Harry Potter series, I guess)

Brisingr-748pg (finish the Eragon series as well)

Beautiful Creatures-563pg

A few of the other books that I planned to add to this list is just show of a few pages or so. :( LOL.
(I don't know how to cross off the names of the books that I've read, sorry.)

You cross them off like this:

<*s> blah blah

Just take out the star :)

Like this:

blah blah

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (WondrousReadings) Lu wrote: "You cross them off like this:

blah blah

Just take out the star :)

Like this:

blah blah "

Thanks. C:

message 13: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 2404 comments Mod
Ok just want to put my books up quickly...

The Girl Who Played with Fire569p
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest599p

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I think I chose the wrong book to start with - Cloud Atlas. It was mentioned a few times in comparison with other books I like, and in general gets praised for being brilliant, but it starts out slow and disconnected and I'm a bit bored.

Anyone else read it? Can I expect it to get better?

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I finished Book 2 of the Outlander series yesterday, so not sure if that counts as I had about 200 pages left to read. Anyway I am starting Book 2 (Voyager) today and trying to read The Angel Trilogy aswell.

message 16: by Jaco (new)

Jaco Lauren wrote: "I think I chose the wrong book to start with - Cloud Atlas. It was mentioned a few times in comparison with other books I like, and in general gets praised for being brilliant, but it ..."

Keep going! It gets better.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I hope so. I'm in the middle of The First Luisa Rey mystery now. The stories are ok, but mostly I'm interested in how they're all connected, which is something it seems I'll have to wait patiently for.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith LOL, you'd have to be if you plan on reading all that!

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Are we supposed to read these books in 3 months? As people are choosing more books than I have so Im wondering if I should pick more. :-)

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Well, the challenge lasts 3 months, but then a new one still start immediately after that. But the way you plan/list it is up to you. I'm just listing the books I want to read for October to December, but Lu has listed all her options.

However, you'll just keep track of your page count for these 3 months, then next year January you'll start counting from zero again.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (WondrousReadings) I might change one of the books on my list or add another because I just got my box of books in the mail, and in it is The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.
So my list looks like:

Harry Potter and the Deadly Hollows-759pg
Brisingr-748pg
Beautiful Creatures-563pg
The Other Boleyn Girl-735pg

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments If you are looking for a great book to read for your Epic challenge then I would highly recommend The Passage By Justin Cronin I read it a few months back and gave it 10/10 which is very rare for me. Its about 800 pages in lit format.Why not check it out.

The Passage

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Update:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - 446/529 pages (Currently reading)
Ilium by Dan Simmons - 0/752 pages

Progress: 446/1281 pages

Less than 100 pages to go (at last!) but reading Cloud Atlas has been quite a challenge. Its comprised of 6 interlinked stories. For the first 5 you only get half the story and each one is set later than the other. Then the 6th story is sort of 'the end', and after that you get the second halves of the other 5, moving back in time again. Pretty cool structure :)

The first sci fi story was one of the best I've ever read, but the second one, with its phonetically written dialect, was extremely annoying to read. The other stories are good/ok, the writing is brilliant throughout, but the best part will probably be finding out how everything is connected.

message 25: by Lauren (last edited Oct 24, 2010 10:37PM) (new)

Lauren Smith Finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Next up Ilium by Dan Simmons - 64/752 pages

Progress: 593/1281 pages

message 26: by Monique (new)

Monique (MoniqueUrbanisedGeek) | 270 comments *applauds loudly* Well done for finishing Cloud Atlas! It looks like too much work for me. :P

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith LOL, thanks :)

Nice you go in the hall of fame :P

message 29: by Lauren (last edited Oct 26, 2010 02:07AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Update:
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell 529/529
Currently reading: Ilium by Dan Simmons - 144/752 pages
Next: The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie 0/547

Progress: 673/1281 pages

Some of the science is completely incomprehensible to me, but Ilium has frickin' awesome battle scenes between the Trojans and the Greeks, with the gods influencing the battle. In this story, the Greek gods are something like cyborgs, made from nanotechnology, which they occasionally give to humans to serve their own purposes.

On another plotline, it was rather amusing to read about some arrogant twit getting eaten by a dinosaur.

Very good read so far.

message 31: by Tracy (last edited Nov 10, 2010 11:22AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyMM) | 43 comments with year end and budgets etc, I'm only planning 1 epic read. Harry Potter Deathly Hollows

*edit cause I had a brainfart - it's fixed now

Definitely a great pick!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Finished Ilium

Progress: 1260 pages.

Considering reading The Satanic Verses or Ilium's sequel Olympos, but I need a bit of a break first.

message 34: by Niecole (new)

Ok so I didnt stick with mine... I did The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story

560 pages

message 35: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyMM) | 43 comments finished Deathly Hallows (3rd read)! and in time for the penultimate premiere.
my fav quote: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Hehe congratz Kahlan!

message 38: by Niecole (new)

Kahlan is making us all look bad :)

message 39: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 616 comments Oh I forgot about this. I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which was supposed to be my only epic read for the rest of the year but it looks like I'm probably going to finish The Girl Who Played with Fire in the next week as well.

message 41: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 616 comments Lu wrote: "Finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 766 pages"

Im almost done... Even though I like HP this book makes me wanna send Rowling hate mail... Or a howler.. It would have been an awesome book if she hadn't gone and left me heart broken.

message 43: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 616 comments Finished The girl who kicked the hornets nest. Thats my list finished... Yay! :)

Yay congratz!

message 45: by Lauren (last edited Dec 30, 2010 09:23AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Here is the page count tally, as the challenge draws to a close. Not everyone filled theirs in (and I'm not sure which edition you have), so just let me know and I'll add yours to the list. Also let me know if I've left anything out.

Kahlan: 8380
Naz: 7149
Crusader: 3468
Lauren: 1824
Lu: 1402 (1 book pending)
Niecole: 1314
Monique: 672
Tracy: 607
Emma:

The challenge will start afresh on New Year's Day, and will last for another 3 months. A good place to start is our January BOM, American Gods, which clocks in at around 672 pages :)

message 46: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (CrusaderZA) | 2394 comments Mod
I haven't kept up to date with this challenge. Just went through my read books and these are the ones I've done since 1 Oct that have been more than 500 pages.

Girl who kicked the hornets nest 576
We need to talk about Kevin 500
Perdido Street Station 710
Revelation Space 585
Excession 512
The Strain 585

Total pages: 3468

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks Crusader, updated :)

message 48: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Mod
Since Nov 15 I've read more books of 500+ pages. Should they count?

Up to 15 Nov - 4578pg
+
Read since:
Angel512pg
Blood of the Fold640pg
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire636pg
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix766pg
Dreaming the Eagle720pg
The Naming: The First Book of Pellinor528pg

= 8380?

message 49: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (CrusaderZA) | 2394 comments Mod
Well, it is a challenge from Oct - Dec 2010 so they should definitely count.

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Wow Kahlan, I thought your first total was seriously impressive; 8000+ words in 3 months is truly epic.

I've updated the list, and added one of my reads thatI'd forgotten - Inkheart by Cornelia Funke: 543 pages.

« previous 1