Start by marking “In Her Shoes” as Want to Read:
In Her Shoes

In Her Shoes

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  185,686 ratings  ·  2,631 reviews
Rose Feller is thirty; a successful lawyer with high hopes of a relationship with Jim, Mr Not-Quite-Right, a senior partner in her firm. The last thing she needs is her messed-up, only occasionally employed sister Maggie moving in: drinking, smoking, stealing her money - and her shoes - and spoiling her chance of romance. If only Maggie would grow up and settle down with a ...more
Published October 3rd 2005 by Pocket Books (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about In Her Shoes, please sign up.
Sandy Bergeson I thought the depiction of sisters who are total opposites was spot-on. Rarely do I see sisters who are alike and are best friends...They may love…moreI thought the depiction of sisters who are total opposites was spot-on. Rarely do I see sisters who are alike and are best friends...They may love each other and support each other but are NOT bestf riends.,
(less)
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
2,090 books — 4,531 voters
Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
1,087 books — 5,977 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
***Some mild spoilers ahead***

Typically, this isn't my kind of book and, if the rating system allowed for half stars, I would have more accurately given it a 2 1/2. This is one of those it was the right book for the right time scenarios. I had just finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four and Fahrenheit 451 and, suffering a dystopian hangover, needed something light that didn't involve too much thinking. This certainly fit the bill.

From the get-go we have a stereotypical plot: two sisters (one pre
Karen
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was surprisingly enjoyable - a lot better than some of the other chick lit shit I've read. I would have given it another star, but the movie (which I've seen many more times than I should probably admit) did a much better job of building a story arc and tying up the various plot lines. To the point where it's like, that's so perfect and obvious, how did Jennifer Weiner not think of doing that herself? But still, thumbs up for the book.
Alaina
Pretty sure I didn't even like the movie so I'm kind of wondering why I wanted to read the book? Maybe I thought the book was going to be better? I have no idea why I did though because I didn't like either of them!

Okay, In Her Shoes has one dumb sister and one smart sister. A pretty common theme for some writers but not my favorite. I couldn't really connect to either sister, Maggie or Rose, because it just didn't seem that realistic to me.

Before I get any hate comments or rants from people wh
Erin
Jul 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of chick flicks
Shelves: adultfiction
It's hard to believe that Rose and Maggie are sisters - it seems the only thing they have in common is their shoe size. Rose is the responsible sister; at age thirty, she's a lawyer at a successful firm, and she's finally found herself a good boyfriend. Maggie is twenty-eight; she is the attractive sister. Despite her looks, she has not held a job for very long at all. Flighty and irresponsible, she detests Rose's approach to life.

Unfortunately for the sisters, Maggie is forced to move in with R
Alison
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Jennifer Weiner can write funny passages. There's the 80-something woman who uses her new computer to print fake parking permits. The fussy pug that prefers more elegant surroundings. Maggie's attempt to get into the MTV VJ auditions. I did grin a few times while reading this book.

But glimmers of situational humor aren't enough to overcome the bigger problems with this novel. It's formulaic, even for chick lit. Two sisters don't get along - one's chubby and bookish, the other a wild party girl.
Diane
This is another fun novel from Jennifer Weiner. I was curious to read it because I had seen the movie version (starring Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette) and I liked the story about two sisters who were total opposites, and yet still found ways to love and help each other. It was a pleasant, enjoyable read.
Tree
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it
It seems Weiner must have had a terrible jerk for a father and stuck up leech for a sister, because all her books seem to dance around this.

I read Weiner hoping to find a new stronger "Good In Bed" but never do. This book was entertaining but not good. I refused to watch the movie because the main character should be at lest a tad fat. Instead, in typical Hollywood fashiong, they just made a thin girl homely.
Alicia Perkins
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Bad. Just bad. Resisting the urge to burn it, but only to avoid accruing overdue library book fees.
Kolleen
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm gonna be honest, I was a little skeptical of it. I am not one to really get into girly books: books about shopping, and dating, and partying. I usually like the more dramatic fiction, but I fell in love with this one!

The story is ultimately about two sisters: the free spirit, partying, beautiful sister, and the uptight, chunky, plain sister. The only thing these sisters have in common is the death of their mother and shoes. So begins the st

Gemma Handley
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, chick-lit, humour
Don't get me wrong, this book is not awful. However I felt that it was too long for just a story of 2 sisters and their grandmother and even when I got half way through, it felt as though the story was going no where interesting. I have not been able to finish it, though I am still interested in the story and may finish it at some point. I just feel that my efforts can be put into more captivating books.
Julia (jaylamm.reads)
This was my first time reading a Jennifer Weiner novel, and I think I will read more in the future. I chose this book because it met the requirements for a reading challenge- book with unlikable character. This book delivered on that! I liked the dynamic relationship of the sisters, and I really enjoyed that the story was told through different points of view. I am interested in watching the movie to see how it will portray the characters.
Annalisa
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone with a long flight
Recommended to Annalisa by: Laralee
Maybe there was too much sex or scandal, but I didn't find myself endeared to the characters. The story and writing are alright, about appreciating your sisters, but the inconsistencies of character, plot holes, and shock value ruined it for me. It did have good perspectives into the mind of the smart "fat" girl and the attractive "stupid" girl and how they clash. Plus, Weiner's formula for plot seem to follow to same consistent lines: fat girl who is funny and smart, incredulous twist of fate, ...more
Alicia
Jun 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: girly-books
This book was about 400 pages too long. They could have made it cute and fun. It never went anywhere ... it was totally predictable and I kept waiting for some twist. BORING.

I love girl books but this one took way to long and the book ended about half way through.
Sandra
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I've read this, think it was 2005.

But anyway, a nice light read, but with some interesting not always fun truth about family. It has this perfect balance between fun and seriousness. The sisters love each other, but there is this older younger sibling dynamic going on that has stuck since childhood. Both have things to learn and do in order to break away from that and that was well written and I was happy with the ending. It was good without becoming corny.
Jaclynne Ann
I think I’m coming to the realization that fluffy chick lit is just not for me.
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Candace
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Ok ~ Well I almost burned the book! I was half way through it and one of the most despicable things happened and I felt like it was the last straw! I didn't burn it, even though the rage was definitely there! I just can't do that.
I decided to give the book 1 more chance after I read a few reviews on it proclaiming that it was all going to get resolved... among other things ~ yes there were a few spoilers out there, but they helped me to come back to the book, so I was grateful.
After starting th
Book Bite Reviews
This story is about two sisters , Maggie and Rose, who lost their mother when they were young and grew up with a cantankerous wicked stepmother . Their father broke all ties toward their mothers side of the family after her car accident but eventually the girls are reunited with their grandmother in the course of the book . It was supposed to be a tearjerker which is why I thought to read it , but it didn't affect me that way .I liked following Maggie , the younger of the two who was more of a r ...more
Michelle
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was prepared to hate this book. I hadn't heard anything about it, but I had seen the movie trailers, and it looked like some kind of silly romance story. Someone told me they loved it, and while I don't remember who it was, it is someone who's opinion I respect, so I figured I would give it a try, just to say I tried. The first few pages made me believe that I was probably going to be right, but I plodded on, figuring I would just "get through it". Well, the farther I got into it, the better i ...more
Yomi Mi Ri
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mas que la vida de Maggie y Rose Feller, tenemos a un montón de personajes que están pasando por cosas, o que han pasado por cosas, y cómo un "robo" puede hacer que todo colisione, que se desbarate o que todo agarre su camino. Me encantó la narrativa, solo con cosas importantes, y unos personajes entrañables. Ella, Lewis, la señora Lefkowitz, y el resto de los viejitos de Golden Acres, Michael, Simon, Amy, y otros no tan entrañables, Sydelle, Jim, etc, etc, que hicieron de esta historia, algo mu ...more
Ellen Gail
Jan 28, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seen-the-movie
Clearance book sales are my enemy. I am the proud owner of 9 more paperbacks that I have zero room for (but at a total bargain!) I loved the movie version of this. Toni Collette is amazing in everything ever and I think I love her a little bit? Like she may have been 90% of the reason I bought this.

Long story short I have it so I suppose I'll read it at some point.
Katherine Bates
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I kept thinking the book was to familiar (sometime is read things again without realizing - that is why I use Goodreads now) but then I realized I think I saw part of the movie on TV at some point. Guess that is why I kept picturing Shirley McClain as Ella!
Elyse
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
My first stab at "chick lit". Entertaining, but also long-winded and editing mistakes drove me crazy. Also, subplots and characters disappear without explanation, or seem completely unnecessary. The main characters are unrealistic and unlikeable.
Mrs. Midnight Reader
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Re-read! Прочетох я за втори път и си я отбелязвам като все пак бройка за тази година. Нищо особено, но развличащо и отвличащо най-вече вниманието ми по време на принудителен престой в болницата :)
M
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rose and Maggie. Siblings who share a true love-hate relationship. Rose is the sorted one. A successful career and many many amazing shoes. Maggie is the wayward child. A child who enters the big bad world too soon, and too badly.
Rose does take care of her as much as she can, but how do you help someone who doesn't want to be helped?
Maggie doesn't make it any easier. She decided to fight the world right back; the world includes Rose.
Rose is battling a few demons of her own, as well.
I will re
Sonja
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The art of losing isn't hard to master." - Elizabeth Bishop 'One Art' poem

I read this book before the movie came out and I was so excited to see the movie after reading it. The movie is very close to the book, but of course the book is better! There is so much more you get from the book, though you can easily watch the movie without reading the book.

This is ultimately a story of sisters - their differences, their strengths and their weaknesses and the ultimate bond that glues them together for
Jeanne
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many good moments and interesting thoughts, sadly coupled with questionable drivel. The humour sometimes bordered on offensive, as seems too often the case with today's chick lit/comedy fiction.

It's the story of three women. Rose Feller is a plain, conservative, bright thirty-year-old lawyer in Philadelphia. Her younger sister Maggie is a learning-disabled, shallow, irresponsible young woman who loses one job after another and keeps a string of boyfriends. Ella Hirsh is an old widow in Florida w
Andreia Silva

Maio: Book to Screen

Categoria: Livro Adaptado ao Cinema

N - Na Sua Pele
Angie ColourMeBlessed
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was wanting a frivolous light read and this fit the bill perfectly. To the review that said they like the movie better... No. I immediately watched the movie the day I finished the book. No comparison. Enormous character developing portions of the book are missing. But thumbs up on the book.
Clacie
I pretty much hated this book. Neither of these women were likable or had any redeeming qualities, and I had no desire to root for either one of them. Maybe this made them more "real" but I come across enough jerks in real life that I don't need to experience book jerks.
jual obat aborsi malang obat cytotec asli malang 6 4 3 hours, 13 min ago
  • Getting Over It
  • Good Grief
  • Trading Up
  • Me Times Three
  • Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-To-Be
  • The Other Side of the Story
  • See Jane Date
  • Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2)
  • Your Big Break
  • The Dirty Girls Social Club (Dirty Girls, #1)
  • As Seen On TV
Jennifer Weiner is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of fourteen books, including Good in Bed, The Littlest Bigfoot, and her memoir Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life, Love, and Writing. A graduate of Princeton University and contributor to the New York Times Opinion section, she lives with her family in Philadelphia. Visit her online at JenniferWeiner.com.
“Hell is an Eagles game where the bleachers are always freezing, the team is always loosing, and my family is insane” 9 likes
“Baby," groaned the guy-Ted? Tad?-something like that-and crushed his lips against the side of her neck, shoving her face against the wall of the toilet stall.” 6 likes